Loaders Grub, NTLDR, Chameleon, etc. | OS Bootloader Discussion

Rep: (61)
LoadersGrub, NTLDR, Chameleon, Bootmgrand etc
System software that provides loading of the operating system immediately after turning on the computer (POST procedure) and initial boot.
Multiboot | LiveCD / DVD / USB - choice | Change OC on a laptop | Installing Windows from a flash drive | YourDroid | UEFI FAQ | PC Problems - FAQ | Accessories | Search programs and drivers for PC | IT smoker

Attached Image

GNU Grub
Grub (Eng. GRand Unified Bootloader) —loader of the operating system from the GNU project. GRUB allows the user to have several operating systems installed and when you turn on the computer, select one of them to boot. - Taken from Wikipedia.
Attached Image

NTLDR
NTLDR (Reduction from the English. NT Loader) -Rearter Windows NT operating systems. NTLDR can be running from both a portable device, such as, for example, a USB CD-ROM or a USB flash drive) and a hard disk. NTLDR is also able to load operating systems that are not based on NT technology, by referring to the appropriate sector in a separate file. [1] To start NTLDR required, at a minimum, the presence of the following two files on the active section: NTLDR, which actually contains the loader code , and boot.ini, in which commands are recorded to form a system selection menu and parameters for its startup. To upload operating systems based on Windows NT, you also need to have a Ntdetect.com file. - Taken from Wikipedia
Attached Image

Chameleon
Chameleon cross platform bootloader.
Attached Image

Bootmgr
Bootmgr bootloader used from Win 7 to Win 10.
Attached Image

The topic was created to discuss OS loaders, and problems with them.

Post has been editedIlya Putilo - 12.07.18, 11:17
Reason for editing: New cap edited by AndrewP_one

Rep: (2736)
The point of discussing them in isolation from the OS? There is a themeMultiboot
Ilya Putilo @ 05/30/2016, 18:44*
NTLDR
Something from the last century? Now bootmgr is ubiquitous, sort of.

Rep: (1198)
I’ll add the first penny about the loader by itself: Grub4DOS does not start from under UEFI
And you can’t turn on the Legasy option on tablet bios ...

Post has been editedYar Vseslav - 31.05.16, 14:43

Rep: (5)
Multiboot article, GRUB - GRand the world of bootloaders.
Introduction for everyone
Introduction to window sills
Extension for POSIX'ivists
The basis of the foundations who wishes to understand and master the multi-load, then you can start with this. For experiments it is better to have a separate computer, it is possible and obsolete. Thus, even if you make a mistake and download for some reason does not happen. You will always be able to rash and configure the error, restore performance. When you are lean, you can configure the main PC for multiple. It is possible to establish to the only HDD unlimited number of any OS in any sequence.

Here are some excerpts from the proposed article:

=========================
Of course, the described method of creating a multi-boot system is not the only one ...
... it’s more important to know what needs to be done, but the means of implementation will be found.
=========================
Introduction for everyone
Introduction to window sills
Extension for POSIX'ivists.

Post has been editedtlt_dk - 02.05.17, 16:29

Rep: (5)
Windows 7 and Ubuntu 17.10

still interested in multi-loading, here are a few examples of it, there are a lot of roughness in the text, if you point me to them, then I will try to fix it.

To everyone who is mastering the OS multi-boot or is interested in it, I want to offer the option of installing and sharing on one PC, two common OC. This is Windows 7 and Ubuntu 17.10
Although Windows 7 is losing its relevance, it still has a lot of admirers and, in addition, the simple and convenient NTLDR bootloader with the BOOT.INI text configuration file

But as you know, the best enemy of the good, then in the second part of this material we will consider the same thing instead of Windows 7, but with Windows 10.
It is also important that we consider the option of multi-boot with the old classic BIOS, so if you have a computer with a new UEFI, then later we will consider your option too.

There are many articles on how to reinstall Ubuntu to an existing one on the Windows disk, it is quite simple to do. Although there are several pitfalls and potential dangers. The first danger is the re-allocation of the HDD, the second danger is an incorrect modification of the primary bootloader. errors in re-partitioning are fraught with data loss, errors when changing the bootloader will lead to the inability to load the previous OC.
How to protect yourself and reduce the risk? this can be done by learning how to restore the original bootloader and reserve your data. these are your photos, videos, texts, etc.

ideally, they will generally learn and do all this not on the main PC, but on the secondary one. unless of course there is one.

Ubuntu developers are realistic and designed their installer in such a way that when installing on a hard drive with Windows already installed, their system can automatically re-partition the HDD and replace the MBR bootloader. and at the same time not to disrupt the operation of the previous system, while maintaining the ability to load it. it is very convenient and for most users this is enough.
Here are the links to these materials:
https://losst.ru/ustan...ntu-ryadom-s-windows-7

but if you want to understand and master multiboot in more detail, you will have to make a little more effort. but as a result, you can install any number of any OS on one HDD and in any sequence.

Post has been editedtlt_dk - 25.02.18, 18:41

Rep: (1)
Hey. I installed Linux on top of wines10. But then it became unnecessary to me and I formatted the section where there was linux through vin10. Now at startup it writes unknown file sistem. How to fix? There is a flash drive and a second laptop. If possible in more detail
Grub.

Post has been editedstriker98 - 28.04.18, 10:47

Rep: (114)
* striker98 , the hornbeam config was on the partition with Linux that you deleted. This can only be fixed by reinstalling the hornbeam or restoring the Windows bootloader.
Do you have bios or uefi? What year is the PC? (Mat. Boards) If the lines run while loading and when you enter the BIOS in front of you the interface controlled by the keyboard ONLY means BIOS. If not - Uefi
Threat. What Windows costs?

Windows 10 x32.
Bios

Posted on 04/30/2018, 19:27:

At hand there is live usb. I did not punish much there, now it writes reboot and select proper boot device. The BIOS is HDD (Toshiba)

* striker98,
  1. In general, you need to write the image of Windows to a USB flash drive and boot from it.
  2. Then click Restore.
  3. Now, click "Command Prompt"
  4. And finally, enter the following commands (after the first press enter):
    Bootrec.exe / FixMbr
    Bootrec.exe / Fixboot

5. Reboot, pull out the USB flash drive and see what happened

ya ne moqu nayti cd / dvd v bios)

* striker98,
So through the boot menu try (f12 or f8)

I had to reinstall Windows ..: sveta:

Rep: (0)
Removing unnecessary bootloaders.
Windows 10, GRUB

Removing bootloaders

Description
There isWindows 10, Android, Phoenix OS.
I do not need Phoenix OS.
Phoenix on grub
Specifications
Useful information
Moreover,nowherethe boot disk is not displayed.
Even in Acronis (bootable flash drive).
And, everything is installed on 1 disk.

Post has been editedskipro - 20.11.18, 17:12

* tlt_dk , bios-time article, for uefi it’s a little different, the article needs to be adapted.

I have Grub2, I need to add a boot record. Added but here immediately from the threshold problem Type VMLinuz file was not found. (HD0, GPT2 / Storage / Emulated / 0 / New / Casper / VMLinuz)
How to make GRUB seen this file?

* Tem0est ,
Proper way and expand compression

* arvseslav , I correctly wrote the address of the file, but the error that the photo is not doing anywhere.
Attached Image

Tem0est @ 03.12.19, 18:19*
Grub2, I need to add boot record

Try using Grub-Customizer Add!

* Adagumer , in no way. No support for the repository and many Linux programs.

Tem0est @ 04.12.19, 22:21*
No support for the repository and many Linux programs

You have an ancient and repository operating system or you can't find the GRUB-Customizer in the available?

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 010.01.21, 15:27