Change the operating system on a laptop

Rep: (70)
The topic is intended to discuss issues related to (re) installing the OS on a laptop.

Attached Image

Post has been editedstp101 - 21.04.18, 00:19
Reason for editing: New header. Cap reworked AndrewP_one

Rep: (10)
By the way, I put 7 on it, but faster, but Russification is not completely. I put Ubuntu right now.

Rep: (11)
Tell me, I don’t change Windows, but on an old laptop I screwed up Windows 98 formatted a tin under Fat 32.
and bios version 2.90
After that, it’s not clear how the Windows should be picked up by the BIOS. There is a disk with 106 MB of files where setup.exe is present and archives with files to be installed.
In this case, a novice ....

Rep: (186)
Download from a floppy what Dos thread, or it from the CD, run this Setup.exe and that's it.

We look for images of boot floppy in Google. Or do it yourself.

Slaiferr @ 05/18/2009, 1:12*
Download from a floppy what Dos thread, or it from the CD, run this Setup.exe and that's it.
We look for images of boot floppy in Google. Or do it yourself.

Is it possible to put this dos in the archive in the archive? For a newbie these floppy disks are sooooo hard ......

Rep: (611)
$ martovod,
The easiest way for you to find a bootable disk with Windows 98.
A bios should be somewhere the point from which disk to boot. Find this item, see if the 1st boot device is worth the CD-rom value. If not, change the settings for this very CD-ROM.
Next, save the settings, insert the boot Windows in the drive sd drives, reboot the laptop. If everything is done correctly and the disk is really bootable, then a window will pop up with the installation of Windows (or with a proposal to install Windows).
Successes!

dr @ go_n @ 18.5.2009, 20:34*
$ martovod,
The easiest way for you to find a bootable disk with Windows 98.
A bios should be somewhere the point from which disk to boot. Find this item, see if the 1st boot device is worth the CD-rom value. If not, change the settings for this very CD-ROM.
Next, save the settings, insert the boot Windows in the drive sd drives, reboot the laptop. If everything is done correctly and the disk is really bootable, then a window will pop up with the installation of Windows (or with a proposal to install Windows).
Successes!

Good on a working computer when you click on the file setup.exe pops up the installation window for Windows 98 and nothing happens on the laptop, again in STOCK: Disk with a bunch of archives (I don’t remember zip or rar) and this file setup.exe
The question is only to those who know:
WHAT ELSE IS NEEDED FOR INSTALLATION ????
(there is not enough money for another Windows and who put Windows 98 on a laptop ????)

$ martovod,
I put on the old laptop and on the old PC Windows 98 more than once. From scratch, te on pure hard.
First question for you:
What is bios and how to use it you know? Trite, you just need to check with what laptop you boot in the beginning (from hard, from SD, with something else). It is necessary that the load in the first place with CD! If there is no floppy disk drive in your old laptop, then it’s not that ancient either. And, in theory, it should contain in the BIOS the options for loading.
Second question:
A multiboot disk is a disk that is loaded even BEFORE loading Windows on a PC. If it is not written on it that it is multiboot, then again you can check it for multi-boot by inserting it into a drive on a PC (in the PC BIOS, check also what the computer loads at the beginning: from hard or from something else. In the first place put CD drive, then hard). Restart the computer without removing the disk from the 98 wines. If the Windows on the PC still boots, then the disk is not multiboot.
Thenfrom hereDownload dos live cd, download DOS from under it, and then change dos live cd to a disk with Windows 98 and run setup.exe from the command line

Post has been editeddr @ go_n - 18.05.09, 20:42

dr @ go_n @ 18.5.2009, 21:25*
$ martovod,
I put on the old laptop and on the old PC Windows 98 more than once. From scratch, te on pure hard.
First question for you:
What is bios and how to use it you know? Trite, you just need to check with what laptop you boot in the beginning (from hard, from SD, with something else). It is necessary that the load in the first place with CD! If there is no floppy disk drive in your old laptop, then it’s not that ancient either. And, in theory, it should contain in the BIOS the options for loading.
Second question:
A multiboot disk is a disk that is loaded even BEFORE loading Windows on a PC. If it is not written on it that it is multiboot, then again you can check it for multi-boot by inserting it into a drive on a PC (in the PC BIOS, check also what the computer loads at the beginning: from hard or from something else. In the first place put CD drive, then hard). Restart the computer without removing the disk from the 98 wines. If the Windows on the PC still boots, then the disk is not multiboot.
Thenfrom hereDownload dos live cd, download DOS from under it, and then change dos live cd to a disk with Windows 98 and run setup.exe from the command line

Thanks, I'll try tomorrow !!
By the way, the files are redrawn from the boot disk, but what is interesting is that they do not automatically request installation as the original disk

p.s. And the link on the site is broken. ,.

Post has been edited$ martovod - 18.05.09, 21:08

Rep: (0)
Do not hit if not there ... Actually I bought a Asus M50vc laptop, without OS, with DOS, there is a disk with Vista, how to install it?

Post has been editedRyska-Kyska - 19.05.09, 22:33

Ryska-Kyska,
It's pretty simple.
Disk with Vista, for sure, bootable. It only needs to be inserted into the drive.
More difficult task, put in the BIOS of the laptop first boot device drive DVD \ SD.
The manual for the laptop should have a section describing this procedure.
(Well, or try pressing F12 while loading the laptop. If the selection window pops up where to boot from, select the DVD drive with the inserted Vista disk).

I tried, did not help, does not load ....
Notebook toshiba 440cdt for reference.
Another question is, and can anyone copy it from your laptop to a folder and then unlock it on a hard disk and launch it?

$ martovod,
The link in the original message was corrected;) I checked it myself - it is pumped!

dr @ go_n @ 20.5.2009, 22:31*
$ martovod,
The link in the original message was corrected;) I checked it myself - it is pumped!

I downloaded the program and recorded it on a CD, but the laptop tries to read something later, as I understand it, it polls the hard disk and that’s the end of the BIOS
cd-rom -} hdd
It seems that there is no firewood on the CD (my opinion).
Is it possible to write these dos files to the hard alternative via the adapter board?

$ martovod,
and tried to insert the disk with Windows? Is anything loaded from it?

Posted 20/05/2009 22:23:

$ martovod @ 20.5.09, 23:46*
It seems that there is no firewood on the CD (my opinion).

In any case, CD drive, he certainly should see :) Especially if the laptop is not new.

$ martovod @ 20.5.09, 23:46*
Is it possible to write these dos files to the hard alternative via the adapter board?

Just so if you write to hard, DOS will not load.

Rep: (111)
Ryska-Kyska,
If the disc was included, then most likely it is just a driver under whist. Usually with dosovkimi laptops do not invest in the operating system disk;)
Buy on the radio market a multiboot disk with Vista, boot from sdrome and install.

$ martovod,
Look in the BIOS boot device prioriti, or something like that. Take the original copied (ie, one to one) with alcohol or more than a disk. And not just copied files. and boot from this disk. Nakraynyak make the boot disk the same ultra iso.
Anyone in bios has a choice of booting from the device. Just need to search.
For BIOS, no device driver is needed.

Well, I figured out with dos and again a dead end.
E: \} setup Writes: for windows to work on a computer, 32 MB of RAM is required, but the laptop is indeed ancient, with a total memory of 16 MB.
Is it possible to get around this in the command line?

$ martovod @ 24.5.09, 11:18*
Is it possible to get around this in the command line?

No way :) The most "easy way" is to find another bar in 16 mb in the laptop, if there are 2 connectors for the RAM. If one, then you find the 32 MB bar and replace it with your own :)

dr @ go_n @ 24.5.2009, 10:39*
No way :) The most "easy way" is to find another bar in 16 mb in the laptop, if there are 2 connectors for the RAM. If one, then you find the 32 MB bar and replace it with your own :)

And you don’t know how and where this toshiba 440cdt bar is located and somewhere I saw information about expanding to 140 MB and where it is and how I didn’t see it.

$ martovod,
hereIt is described how to disassemble the laptop.
Hereprices for memory strips to it.
To replace the memory bar, refer to the manual of the laptop. There something about this should be written.

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 26.12.20, 20:25