Replacing Android on the desktop distribution | all platforms

Rep: (364)
Replacing Android on the desktop distribution

... He just had his own ideas about how the world should look, and he was powerful enough to try to implement them.
V. Archer

I wonder if anyone, except me, tried to completely get rid of the android on his device and deploy a normal distribution.
If such people exist, then they may want to discuss the results, share their experiences, or boast achievements.

Surely, someone will ask, "What for? Yes, almost any desktop Linux program already has counterparts for android. But maybe someone just does not like the android. Or maybe someone wants to write highly specialized programs for their device and write them not in Java.

Here you can ask questions (or leave instructions) on the following topics:
- Rebuilding the kernel with the new config or drivers;
- Work with ramdisk;
- HAL libraries and libhybris;
- Set up Wi-Fi, 3g;
- Setup and launch of the X server;
- Choice of window manager, environment, virtual keyboard;
- Sound output;
- Development of programs that replace the functionality of the android: control backlight, processor frequency, volume, lights, calls, messages, hibernation;
- Using cameras, sensors.

Init FAQ.
Easy reading for leisure.

If someone is interested, but do not know where to start, you can look here:
Replacing Android on the desktop distribution (Post Pigg # 48927960)

Post has been editedottiwell - 15.06.18, 23:22

* Pigg,
I think it is worth a little to open the topic. Some features of the phone can be used without any software.
# Activate vibration for N milliseconds
echo N>/ sys / devices / virtual / timed_output / vibrator / enable

# Turn on the flashlight
echo 1>/ sys / devices / platform / flashlight / leds / flashlight / brightness

# Change brightness. The paths in different firmware are different.
echo 50>/ sys / class / backlight / pwm-backlight / brightness

Post has been editedottiwell - 30.07.16, 20:13

Rep: (1195)
Ottiwell @ 01/08/2016, 11:07*
1. Rebuilding the kernel

What for?
Pigg @ 01/08/2016, 04:48*
2. Work with ramdisk

Yeah, replace init from android to normal, attach chroot. All this has long been implemented in live distributions, take it and copy it.
3. Launch and Setup Xorg

For starters, get all the documentation from video chip manufacturers. I'll see how you will write the xf86 driver for some PowerVR
And without acceleration - garbage question, xf86-video-fbdev at your complete disposal.
Writing programs that replace the functionality of Android

Do not think about it ... but you need to think about the development of hardware acceleration, and correspondence software (such as libjpeg, ffmpeg, vlc and other herds) on them.
Total. During the time you complete the last two points, the SoC you selected will take its place in the history dump.

* Azathtot
1. Rebuilding the kernel is not particularly needed, Pigg just does not really like Android as a system and in its device tried to bring the kernel to the normal (vanilla) form with the efficiency of work.

2. You can do without chroot, use the usual systemv or busybox init.

3. Here it seems like freeadreno (for Adreno) and libhybris are also already. If you get started of course on separate devices.

And utilities that replace the functions of the android are needed for more or less comfortable use of the device.

Rep: (1195)
* Pigg,
Well, of course, you control dialing a number through AT commands, but how do you switch the microphone to the GSM module?

I haven’t yet configured WiFi using the Internet like this: I took the pppd-mod file (in the archive) and threw it into / system / xbin, gave it the right to run
adb push ~ / Downloads / pppd-mod / system / xbin / pppd-mod
chmod 777 / system / xbin / pppd-mod
And on a computer with Linux on board I run the android_internet script. True in the script you need to specify the interface to connect to the Internet. And run from the root.
sudo bash android_internet

Attached files

Attached fileadbinternet.zip(86.14 KB)

Post has been editedottiwell - 07.04.16, 18:09

* Pigg,
Pasib, it turned out)
insmod /system/lib/8188eu.ko
ifconfig wlan0 up
touch / dev / rfkill # Otherwise swears
wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf # Took from the android, so as not to manually fill all passwords
dhclient wlan0
route add default gw 10.10.10.1 # Without prescribing this line, Network is unreachable
It looks like now I can connect directly from recovery to my WiFi, until I finish the xorg.

Post has been editedottiwell - 08.04.16, 17:30

Rep: (13)
Can I get full instructions for replacing android? I want to do on megafon login +, if it comes out then on Xperia Z2 I will try

* Junior Developer,
In fact, the instructions as such, no. For each individual it. If you want samyy_chistyy_linuks_bez_be_be_be_androidovyh_dobavok, then you have to take the kernel sources for your device, to compare with the source of vanilla Linux, clean / change post at their own discretion; Campiglio ramdisk, trying to have all the drivers for the linux environment, and if they also changed under the android, then another, and dancing with a tambourine to get them back in their original pristine pure state; You have to compile all the utilities that are necessary for the normal operation of the source android, write a bunch of their programs, such as dialer, SMS and instant messengers like. If linux clean as a tear of a mermaid you do not need, and markups can be and not very fool with reinsertion, then you can run Linux from rekaveri using the package, and system stored on a memory card. But still you have to start all devices. With drivers the real problem is the biggest.

I'm going to study in C ++, I don't want to use textbooks. Then I will live here. And so I know java, but from it here beztolku

Rep: (39)
Guys, just do not swear. I do not understand one thing - why ?! :)

Google launched Android. Externally, with a turn allegedly Pobol user. They say, as if in the open. And, in fact, the right forces and capabilities assessed as insufficient to develop a custom kernel from scratch. And all of the standard elements. All that principle - closed. Such an hitrovydelannost from Google. You are trying to hack android, or rather iron manufacturers? With all their patents, licenses and armies of lawyers. What for? This is their main interest - the technical solution of a particular item of hardware and software management. Millions of people oppose you - exactly in the opposite direction of what you want to do.

What you are trying to solve here, obviously - to me), you need to do something completely different:

Pick up the equipment on which the GNU / Linux distribution works. This is a variant of a conventional desktop computer. There are options and open equipment. So far, of course, weak.

If it’s fundamentally iron, then it's better to navigate, for example, on similar projects.Yocto ProjectandDragonBoard ™ 410c. There are already quite a lot of similar ones with more or less openness.

In extreme cases - estimated now - please correct if I'm wrong - you have to take the source code TWRP - in fact, can openers android. Benefit twrp open. TWRP kernel, of course, you can customize how you want. All base for building your own GNU / Linux distribution for android device it is, including the normal frame buffer "out of the box." At least - it has to be in it. Next is, if you are very much needed - a clean and clear system can be any different schedule to try to tie.

* Densavagemessiahzine.com,
We do not argue and do not swear :) Just find out the sequence of actions)
Hack what is closed or not going to license) Just want to use what is.
Densavagemessiahzine.com @ 15.04.2016, 00:51 *
Pick up the equipment on which the GNU / Linux distribution works.
This is the main problem. There is no money, so you have to work with what you have.
And there are no twrp sorts under my device: (And besides, the frame buffer works, hardware acceleration does not work.

Post has been editedottiwell - 20.07.16, 01:42

Hack what is closed or not going to license)

This is me slightly inaccurately expressed. Hardly anyone would argue that the main obstacle now - performance in the graphic part. It is understood that where separate purposely broke freymbufer in the canonical sense, it will work. But, if my knowledge of the subject is not out of date - there are now no open recruitment of native full graphical control program for part of the modern, relatively android devices as an option - their graphics systems on a chip. That is, all these programs available that you can use now - approaching in one form or another and do not provide full optimization of iron. Roughly speaking - "crutches". And to them, no matter how to overclock - not run away.

Just to use that which is.
Densavagemessiahzine.com @ 15.04.2016, 00:51 *
Pick up the equipment on which the GNU / Linux distribution works.
This is the main problem. There is no money, so you have to work with what you have.

Clear. But in general, developer fees are often quite adequate. Prices are not high, reasonable. Working with such a board is fundamentally more noble :) approach. Academically correct. Perhaps, practically, of course, less suitable. Conceptually) I am with you, but for me personally, in principle, it’s disgusting to "pour water on the mill" of Google and others who have joined it. Well, they want to get out there with their graphics - let them live in their little world. What time to spend on them.

And there are no twrp sorts under my device: (And besides, the frame buffer works, hardware acceleration does not work.
Here for the case of android and twrp, then it is really necessary to choose a specific device for which there is an open code twrp. When I wrote ->any attempt to bind a different schedule - meant in net working system, which, of course, works graphics output via fb - then try to integrate graphics management software specialized for the equipment to receive the same hardware acceleration. Although I dislike the term. There is no hardware acceleration. There is a full-time job with the greatest possible speed and code exactly as possible the projected performance of the corresponding conditional chips.

Post has been editedDensavagemessiahzine.com - 15.04.16, 21:49

Pigg @ 04/15/2016, 10:29 PM*
Che, I did not understand what the "program management of the graphic part." Where does the term come from?

The management program is a name that I consider more correct and understandable than the name that the driver left for the people from someone’s light hand.

Pigg @ 04/15/2016, 10:36 PM*
Android devices have all the necessary libraries for using hardware to the fullest. libhybris is a little crutch, yes ... But it does not affect the usefulness of using iron.

Seriously? I am without any hobby. I do not like android. And not really understand it. Recently, simpletons) forced himself to buy an android device after a long break. It is necessary to remember leisurely, that here now.

Here, for example, in my 1 + X in SoC Qualcomm: GPU - Adreno 330. Can you provide a link to the source code for self-assembly of the graphics output management program on this device?

Post has been editedDensavagemessiahzine.com - 15.04.16, 23:16

* Pigg,
Thanks for the detailed comment. Here is a lot of useful information for me. I'm really not familiar with the current situation in android. In general, I read, I will figure it out - ask questions), if left.

Ran, updated knowledge. Much point in detail disassemble the current state of the main graphics system ... good) - subsystem GNU / Linux - meaning do not see. Firstly, the need to publicly demonstrate knowledge on the subject and in the event of any discrepancies - it can and will) be used against me. Special problems do not see it, quite the contrary. However, given that, in essence, a mess - with a certain point of view - which is part of the graphics - it is necessary conditionally live all these problems in order to clearly and accurately talk about all its features. But is not the place, nor the time here. On the other hand, it deserves respect for the fact of its own existence and fulfill their duties to her. From the word mess - I do not refuse - this is my personal interpretation of the situation. More - I acknowledge their mistake. I became interested in the topic slightly. But I remember now that I do not like the principle of building the Linux kernel, I do not like the weight of all that, what species come in its development based on the open source operating system there. I should note that I do not use closed the last century - the android does not count. But who just do everything interesting: D.

Pigg @ 04/15/2016, 11:01 PM*
Proprietary drivers are customized by the manufacturer and there is usually no source for them.
Yes. I am about the same.

For Android devices, manufacturers compile these libraries with a link to bionics. That's the problem.
The problem does not begin here. In my opinion. Why should we, in principle, mention certain elements specific to android, such as bionic, if we consider replacing android with GNU / Linux.

They cannot just be used from programs compiled by normal gnu compilers, and they (these libraries) are still a bit tied to the android. Why is it - I do not know.
If the kernel can be installed not a blob, and the module is based on the open code and documentation, the entire avalanche-increasing mess of hash layers of support was not required. There does not even take into account that this blob of elements can perform and foreign challenges. No matter - if the iron is closed, it is clear that their performance can be transferred to the microcode level and conditionally below). The logic is this: has its own management software - no dependence on bionic, bionic no dependence on - does not require a layer of compatibility as libhybris. Or, open documents - has a device management program. There is a management program - no need to carry out reverse engineering for any freedreno. Such programs in general, it is not complete, reliable, efficient, in a general sense. That is the right approach - does not arise a situation when forced to deal with the problem is determined fundamentally wrong basis.

But there is a crutch of libhybris, which once again solves this question. Oops, that's all. We can build programs with a normal compiler and use three-dimensional acceleration. I only changed a couple of lines in the program with gears and it worked normally with all possible acceleration. And while using the full driver "from the developer."
It is interesting. And, probably, great. But ... from another area in relation to my approach to the topic.

There are more available drivers. This is when some body going and begin to reverse inzhinirit proprietary drivers. That is, trying to understand how they work, and play. What for do it? Well, for example, that was not necessary libhybris. From free driver source code is always available (then, they are free) - you can collect them immediately normal compiler. For many GPU (even mobile) have been and are. But they really can not be full-fledged. Not support some features of iron or something.
This part can be separately considered for a long time, but in principle everything is clear here. Personally, I am against :). Everything is according to the previous scheme - yes, well done, of course - for somehow it is necessary to decide. But first, in fact, we invent a problem for ourselves, then heroically solve it. Fortunately, not everything is so sad here - if you search, you will most likely find a couple of examples where the tests showed better performance than the original.

Well, here are some very caring processor manufacturers posting their proprietary drivers, but not only the android versions, but also the normal ones. And not only the three-dimensional acceleration libraries mentioned above, but also modules for xorg with two-dimensional acceleration. Take care! Respect (This is me right now about, for example, NVIDIA and its Tegra series).
Thank you - reminded about nvidia. Better than nothing.

In general, I'm sorry that slightly got into the topic. A microcomputer precisely, unambiguously programmed on the basis of complete documentation is one thing, and the transformation of the android phone by some means of tweaks and combinations of certain tools simply because now there are just such - the situation is, of course, different.

Pigg, can you give instructions on how to run the distribution. What to enter in init to run? And install rootfs or img file?

Rep: (245)
There is no detailed instruction and it is unlikely to be. Only a rough overall plan:

1. Work, for example, with LinuxDeploy. This is a program for installing distributions into a folder or into an image and running programs in chroot. Be sure to work through the framebuffer. For problems, you can ask in the LD topic.

2. Learn to use adb. Learn how to mount an LD image and run xorg without the help of LD, via adb shell. It is not difficult. There are 5-6 commands that can be easily combined into a script. If you fail, ask here. mount example

3. Learn to extract, edit and download ramdisk back. On those devices that I saw, the ramdisk with the kernel is usually stitched into one file and stitched together into the device. Most often, this is boot.img or recovery.img, but there are other options. Removing them from the mobile is not necessary - you can simply take the one that you were stitching. On XDA-Developers, there are all sorts of programs for separating such files and unpacking / packing the ramdisk. Right here utilities , which I used, and a brief instruction. Most likely, they do not suit everyone.

4. When the ramdisk is unpacked into a folder, it should contain at least the init and init.rc. files. When the kernel boots, it also unpacks the ramdisk in / and / init becomes the first user-space program to be executed.
Most often / init is an Androids binary. It reads and executes /init.rc. In init.rc it is indicated which commands to execute at the early stages of loading, which commands to execute at the later stages, which services to start and so on. Also / init can also be a sh script, which is quite useful.

In desktop distributions, another initialization system is usually used: systemd, for example. But for newbies, I still suggest staying at android init. It is also easier for resources, and you don’t have to port every line of long init.rc scripts to systemd. Well, only every 10th line is really needed there, of course, but all the same, for a start, it is better to leave android init.

5. Now you can edit init.rc and upload it back to the device? Good...
The most interesting thing about init.rc is the service type blocks:

service bootanim / system / bin / bootanimation
class main
disabled
oneshot

These blocks describe the programs that init launches under certain conditions. A class is something like a group. All services of one group can then be started with a single command of the class_start main type.
disabled — means that this particular service will not start when class_start is called for its group. But it can still be started at any moment of initialization, such as start bootanim.
oneshot means that the program is executed once and will not restart if it terminates or dies. If there are no oneshot, then yes, it will be restarted.
More info on init.rc here:
https: //android.google...master/init/readme.txt

Most likely, you in init.rc have blocks like "on early-init", "on init", "on fs". This is something like an event. When an event occurs, the commands from the block are executed. In my "on init" after a heap of commands of dubious utility, there was a command class_start main. It is necessary to understand this somehow: when init comes (it comes very early in the initialization process, but I don’t know the exact order), all those commands are executed and services of the main class are started.

There are events like "on property: ro.debuggable = 1". They are called when some kind of property changes. They can be changed by the android and the user by the android setprop program. It is convenient if you need to start / stop / restart services without editing the ramdisk and without restarting the device.

6. The first thing that I personally did was so that adb was launched right away and with root-rights. By default, it may well not run from the root. And then the android switches adb modes using property. I deleted all this and left on adb only what was in the init.rc recovery. By the way, yes, in the recovery of its completely different and shorter init.rc - be sure to look. You can even start with it - you need to understand much less there.

7. If adb works immediately and with root rights, you can now disable the most hated parts of the android. Disabling the service is easy - you can just comment it out in init.rc by adding the # character at the beginning of each line. Disable surfaceflinger, zygote, bootanim, etc. etc. I can’t give an exact list of necessary and unnecessary services with all the desire - it depends on the device. But the zygote and surfaceflinger just need to be turned off.
After successfully completing this item, the android should no longer load, but the adb shell should work. Well, everything else should work (wi-fak, sound, etc.), if nothing extra is turned off.

8. Well, now you can try to mount an LD * image via adb shell and launch xorg. You did not miss point 2? :)
If it works, you can create a script and add it to init.rc.

Yes, well, you need to start with something of this type. It is not very convenient to re-sew boot.img and flash it into the phone after each change of the ramdisk, right? But here we recall that / init does not have to be immediately that Androids init. And here your imagination is not limited. You can insert a script that will mount the memory card and update init.rc. from it.

And you can get rid of all the problems at once and at the same time from the chroot, but this is not very simple:
1. Unpack the ramdisk and copy it to the root of the LD image.
2. You can immediately copy there androids / system, / data. You can temporarily rename the folders of a normal distribution, so that there are no folder and file name conflicts.
3. In init.rc, which is already in the image, you need to comment out the lines mounting / system, / data, / cache. There is no need to mount them already.
4. And then in ramdisk (the one in boot.img) we write our own / init script and add static busybox. This script should create nodes of the devices it needs. Mount image LD, wherever he lay. And then "transfer control to it" (busybox switch_root). After this command, the image is permanently mounted in /, and the ramdisk is dismantled. And already executed / init and init.rc, crap in the image.

The point of all this is that after that you will no longer need to reflash boot.img. If you need to edit init.rc, then this can easily be done via adb shell or from an already running distribution (sudo nano /init.rc). Well, at the same time, you can, for example, make a beautiful dual block.

I will not write further until ... But if suddenly at least one person comes to launch xorg from init.rc, then the discussion will continue. Working xorg is awesome. And even most devices will work. But you need to do so that the device was really used, and not just to boast to friends. You need power management, dialer, internet connection, etc.

I guarantee that none of the items will be without additional problems not described here. If you do not have free MONTHS, drive in.

* By "image LD" was meant the image or folder with the file system of the desktop distribution. Of course, it is not necessary to create it in LinuxDeploy.

Post has been editedPigg - 07.12.16, 18:31

Just leave it here. Without adb it's still very sad, especially when it is clear that init is working fine, and xorg does not start)
ADB without Android - device offline

Post has been editedottiwell - 17.04.16, 18:51

adb root displays:
adbd cannot run as root in product builds
So from under the root do not connect?

Full version    

Help     rules

Time is now: 08/07/20, 9:27