Overclocking the CPU and GPU of a laptop | CPU's & GPU's OVERCLOCK

Rep: (116)
Ambulance laptop owners | Search for drivers for laptops | Manual disassembly and repair of laptops | Ambulance TabletPC owners

Overclocking CPU and notebook GPU

Attached Image

By applying in practice something that is mentioned or indirectly mentioned in this topic, you fully accept responsibility for the negative consequences of your activity.
You are engaged in overclocking solely at your own peril and risk.

FAQ
What is overclocking?
    Overclocking is the ability to use the software to change the technical parameters of some hardware in order to improve their performance.
Who are overclockers?
    Overclockers are people who practice overclocking everything that has a clock frequency.
What can be overclocked in a laptop?
    First of all, you can overclock the processor, video card (graphics chip and video memory) and RAM. It should be borne in mind that overclocking of one component indirectly affects or depends on others. For example, the processor is overclocked most often by increasing the clock speed of the system bus, which can also increase the frequency of the RAM and slots PCI, PCIE, AGP and others, but the devices in these slots (including the built-in ones) can this disconnect.
Does this threaten premature equipment failure?
    If you overclock without thinking with your head, then yes. If you more or less understand the question, then the chance to wake up the laptop with morning coffee is much higher than to disable it with overclocking.
If I overclock my laptop, will it void my warranty?
    If you go to the service later and tell me what you’ve overclocked, then yes. If not, then no.
And what if the laptop still burn?
    But what if they steal it from you in a dark alley? And what if you slip and drop your laptop on the asphalt? Accidents happen, but this once again suggests that measures must be taken to avoid them. For example, do not walk at night through the doorways with a laptop in your hands and look at your feet. But seriously, just think with your head, do not chase a pair of free megahertz and provide sufficient cooling.
Why not overclock the equipment?
    Equipment developers specifically give their products a certain safety margin, going beyond which there is a risk to bring them down, though the limits are often quite large, than overclockers and enjoy. In addition to physical frames it is worth remembering that during acceleration increases power consumption, which leads to an increase in temperature is accelerated by the device and the vicinity thereof, and the high temperature has a detrimental influence on the equipment. If the temperature inside a system unit can be easily enough to fight through a free space where you can install additional cooling system, inside the notebook overclocking freedom is severely limited, as a rule, the original stock of the cooling system.
How much, on average, do the components of a laptop get overclocked?
    Processor no more than 20% of the nominal. The graphics chip is about the same, but if the chip is initially based as a game chip, then it is better not to touch it. RAM is better not to drive or drive at 5-10%. Video memory can be overclocked by 10-20%, provided that it does not climb from the operational one.
And what will give me such a slight acceleration?
    First, feel like an overclocker. Secondly, get up to 5-25% increase in performance in games. Thirdly, you’ll warm your heart by the fact that your laptop is 5% to 25% faster than the exact same non-overclocked notebook from your friend.
Where can I get instructions for overclocking?
    On the Internet, you can often find a variety of manuals, but not the fact that they apply to your particular situation. Rather the opposite. In fact, it is not, because instructions would have to be written for each individual device. There are general methods and software, but you will need to look for initial information about overclocking yourself.
I still don't know computers very well, can I overclock a laptop with your help?
    For me, "not very good at computers" is this: I can fully and correctly assemble the system unit from components, reinstall the operating system, install drivers on all hardware and then reinstall the necessary software, but often there are problems with what I have never encountered before If for you "not very well versed in computers" means the same, then you can, but if not, then do not waste my and my time.
Do you know what part is in my laptop?
    No, I do not know. If you are too lazy to use search engines, why should I or someone else do this for you? If you searched everywhere and found nothing, then why did you think that others would find it? Of course you can ask, but do not wait for an answer, especially soon. The clock frequency generator, by the way, can also be viewed here .

Recommended software
  • Sisoftware sandra - A decent set of tools ideal for obtaining initial information about the system. Includes several useful, but not always objective tests.

• 3DMark Vantage - Testing program for the computer's graphic system. It is popular due to unique graphics tests, so beloved by gamers, as well as through its own performance rating system. Unfortunately, it works only under Windows Vista, so in XP / 2K you need to use 3DMark06.

• PCMark Vantage - If 3DMark includes only graphic tests, PCMark has concentrated everything else in itself. There is also a performance rating system here, but PCMark does not enjoy popularity (apparently, the prevalence of similar software products is to blame). It works only under Windows Vista, so in XP / 2K you need to use PCMark05.

• HWMonitor “It just doesn't mean worse.” HWMonitor is the most successful, in my opinion, a means of monitoring temperature, voltage and fan speed. It is enough to run this program, roll it up, run a heavy toy or a 3DMark Vantage type test, so that you can easily and easily find out, say, the maximum and maximum temperature of a particular component. It is recommended to all without exception.

• Powerstrip - The program allows you to adjust the graphics card. Maybe it is not enough in my opinion, but there is one significant advantage: PowerStrip supports overclocking the chip and memory, without being attached at the same time to a specific manufacturer whether the NVIDIA or ATI. In some cases, the only way PowerStrip acceleration integrated graphics from Intel, SiS, as well as some other less popular manufacturers. If you can not overclock your video card by using other software, it is necessary to try to do this using PowerStrip.

• Clockgen - There are many programs that allow you to overclock the processor, but ClockGen stands out among them because it is completely free and easy to use. The only negative is a small set of supported clock generators.

• Rivantuner - A unique in its kind program for fine-tuning and overclocking graphics cards from NVIDIA. Among the many advantages of RivaTuner, you can especially highlight the option of software conversion of gaming solutions (GeForce) to professional (Quadro). Must be in the arsenal of all owners of video cards from NVIDIA.

• ATI Tray Tools - Tweaking, optimizing and overclocking ATI graphics cards is no longer a problem thanks to ATI TT.

• CPUCool - The favorite program of most overclockers. Allows you to overclock the processor, supports many clock frequency generators (and the list is constantly growing), builds temperature graphs, allows you to set overclocking algorithms and much more. Minus one - the paid version.

• CPUFSB - A stripped-down, if you can say there version of CPUCool, or rather even just one of its modules for overclocking. The list of clock generators is the same. Also a paid version, but cheaper. The best option, in my humble opinion.

• SetFSB - Analogue CPUFSB. Of course, there are pros and cons, but the alternative is not bad.

Post has been editedstp101 - 28.04.18, 10:54
Reason for editing: New header. Rammsteiner rule cap

Rep: (0)
Centrino does not drive?

Rep: (155)
I tried to drive a stone on the Asus g2s extrime - it’s great to chase, but it gets very hot.

Guys, publication of successful overclocking results is welcome, but write the laptop model, processor name, clock frequency generator, how many times and how many times does the processor chase with indication of average temperatures under maximum load at each frequency.
GVG @ 02.13.08 13:09:47
Centrino does not drive?

Drives, if he has a clock frequency generator one of these:
Cypress CY28346
Cypress CY28551
ICS 94228
ICS 950403
ICS 950405
ICS 951402
ICS 951412
ICS 951416
ICS 951422
ICS 951446
ICS 951462
ICS 952505
ICS 952607
ICS 952618
ICS 954119
ICS 954123
ICS 954148
ICS 954519
ICS 9PLRS509
ICS 9PLRS587
IDT CV107
Realtek RTM 360-408
Realtek RTM 560-266
Realtek RTM 862-410
Realtek RTM 865-461
Winbond W83195-BG101

Sticking OverclockPack from me. Just unpack the archive and use all the necessary programs for overclocking a modern laptop.

Attached files

Attached fileOverclockPack_by_DiBrain.exe(3.3 MB)

Post has been editedDi'Brain - 25.03.09, 16:29

try ASUS ts90s

KRIKZA, 02/14/08 12:20:27
try ASUS ts90s

What "try"?

If you are about "try to overclock", then I strongly do not recommend you to overclock this model. ASUS C90S - reboiler. Rarely, what model on the move can dial 80'C per process, and the C90S can even at 90'C. Apparently, therefore, its developers gave the model such a clear name: wink_kind:

If you are about “try to brake”, then it will not be particularly affected by its insides. As he worked an hour with a new fully charged battery, so will work an hour. Well, maybe 10 minutes longer.

ASUS C90S is not entirely successful, but in general is a good replacement for the usual desktop. If I were you, I would leave everything as it is. It works - well, let it work.

Rep: (57)
DispersedSamsung R20 with processor IntelRCoreDuoCPU T2450 2.00GHz before 2400MGts .
The flight is normal.Temperatureincreased slightly.

Not a bad topic .... but if you use it only for frequency reduction. I still can not understand why the terrible frequencies of the process for the laptop ....

Rep: (15)
myspel 02/17/08 7:31:49 PM
Not a bad topic .... but if you use it only for frequency reduction. I still can not understand why the terrible frequencies of the process for the laptop ....

Why are there races in bags, on chairs in bathrooms ...?

... what terrible frequencies for the laptop ....

The thing is, what do you want from your computer. Many laptops do not need mobility as its battery life and the ability to carry it with you to work without any problems. Such people by and large do not care whether the battery holds its new laptop hour or a few hours - for them, the main performance, functionality and compactness. Some are forced to go to frequent business trips, and half of its cases to solve in the way - such people are in greater need of autonomy rather than performance. There are those who bought a laptop to play modern games maksium long hours without recharging the battery ... I have to disappoint - it is impossible.

Post has been editedDi'Brain - 18.02.08, 22:19

Rep: (712)
In some cases, the laptop can not be overclocked, but even necessary.
For example, in my apparatus (ACER TravelMate 5520G-6A1G08Mi) memory at the nominal frequency of 1800 MHz processor clocked at 600 MHz DDR. When overclocking the bus 200 (800) to 222.5 (890) MHz, we not only causes the processor to operate at a "beautiful" in the frequency of 2 GHz, but also the memory now works at the nominal frequency of 667 MHz for her. I, however, did not stop there. Without raising the voltage on the core (and it is 65 nm to 31 W processor Athlon (Turion) X2 TK-55 is only 1,05V) processor also absolutely stably operates at 2100 MHz (234.5 (938) MHz frequency HyperTransport bus). Acceleration has successfully carried out as SetFSB, and ClockGen, only need to choose the right pll - ICS951416. With ClockGen I installed for my notebook standard frequency of 2100 MHz. Thus, Cool'n'Quiet technology remains fully operational so that the idle frequency of the processor is lowered to 938 MHz (instead of 800 MHz at the nominal frequency).
In addition, absolutely everyone (not just overclockers), I recommend to use a small and free utility RightMark CPU Clock Utility. She knows how to work successfully with virtually all processors from AMD and Intel last few generations, flexibly managing many parameters, such as energy-saving technologies. For example, on my Athlon X2 TK-55 you can control the CPU multiplier and voltage at its core. You can adjust the number of profiles, such as "Energy Saving", "Maximum Performance" and "performance on demand". The latter allows you to automatically and very flexibly control the speed of the processor depending on the degree of congestion. In addition, for each factor is allowed to choose their own electricity supply. I, for example, for the minimum factor 4.0 (wherein overclocking processor clocked at 938 MHz) is set voltage 0,8V. Some users claim that in their 800 MHz processor operates stably even with a voltage of 0,65V! As a result, the use of this tool allows you to kill several birds with one stone: to reduce power consumption and heat, extend battery life, reduce the noise of the computer.
Nor should we neglect to overclocking. I have such a Mobility Radeon HD 2600 (512 MB 2, the nominal frequencies in 3D-applications - 500MHz GPU / 400 (800 of DDR) MHz video memory). She, like the processor, thanks to its mobility is able to change the frequency in a variety of applications and disable inactive function blocks, but why would not it help? With this task will manage AMD GPU Clock Tool and ATITool. Personally, I use ATITool. At startup profile is automatically loaded with the frequencies of 110/297 (594) MHz (in the BIOS graphics for low load is prescribed such frequency mode). GPU temperature thus ranges from 33 to 38 degrees. When downloading any application or game of three-dimensional profile is loaded automatically with the frequencies of 625 MHz GPU / 450 (900 DDR) MHz video memory. For my copy such frequencies are absolutely stable. Some users are driven to the GPU and 650 MHz. On the temperature regime crackdown virtually no effect. During prolonged maximum load (in particular, about one hour Prime95 + "hairy cube" of ATITool) GPU heated to funny at present 55 degrees. Acceleration adds, and so not the slowest laptop fair bit of performance: results from the default settings for 3DMark05 - 7015 birds, 3DMark06 - 3730 birds.
In more detail, my and not only overclocking results and not only, sorry for the pun, are described inthis topic.
Owners of laptops from other manufacturers, built on a similar component base (AMD M690 chipset, dual-core Athlon / Turion processors) were reported on the positive results of overclocking by the method I described.

Post has been editedNicolasG - 21.02.08, 00:23

Many overclockers will need this little program to monitor the temperature of the processor. It does not require installation and is able to show the temperature of each core in the system tray, as well as keep a log (it is created in the program folder).

NicolasG
This task will cope AMD GPU Clock Tool and ATITool.

And there is a good program -Powerstrip. This software can overclock almost any video card, even the old one.

Attached files

Attached fileCore_Temp.exe(197.5 KB)

Post has been editedDi'Brain - 22.02.08, 22:43

It is also easy to drive video cards with the help of the Riva tuner program.

img-73939-RivaTuner206.exe: Attached fileimg-73939-RivaTuner206.exe (2.06 MB)

here is the prog

Rep: (712)
Unfortunately, not every program copes with overclocking the Mobility Radeon HD 2600. PowerStrip cannot do this, RivaTuner does the same, although the latter works with the desktop version of the card. Personally, I have certain hopes for version 2.07, which comes out next week. As a minimum, it promises the full support of all Catalists to 8.2 inclusive.

Added @ 24.02.2008, 02:52

By the way, the RightMark CPU Clock Utility recommended by me is also able to display the CPU temperature in the tray and keep a log. CoreTemp, however, may still be useful.

speedFan can be used to monitor the temperature

Rep: (79)
and I have an old hp pavilion ze5600 .. I didn’t get new and without a Russian layout) 28% celeron in it, I didn’t find anything else. how to find out which graphics card? and how to overclock ..

1. downloadthis, find PCWizard there and find out the system's system (in particular, about your vidyuhi) with the help of this program
2. usethisand find the technical documentation for your laptop or any mention of the clock generator of its motherboard
3. choose in optionsthissoftware needed generator, increase the frequency of the probe to the maximum stable state (but not more than 20%) and lowering this value by 50-100 MHz, apply processor overclocking when loading
4. make sure that the temperature does not rise above ~ 70 degreesby this
5. herethisthe program can overclock the video card before the appearance of artifacts, and then you should lower the frequency a bit so that they disappear and apply the video card overclocking at boot time

Post has been editedDi'Brain - 03.03.08, 15:22

Attached Image

If you look closely, it becomes clear that the acceleration, as well as in everything else, there is a limit. Was processor with a frequency of 1600MHz, raised to 400MHz, the performance has increased significantly, and the peak temperature has not changed much. But here it is - greed of man is a desire to overclock the processor has at least 100MHz, resulting in virtually no performance also increasing your, but the temperature is significantly increased. Moral: do not always greater MHz znachet better. Do not be lazy to conduct more testing when overclocking! : Wink_kind:

Post has been editedDi'Brain - 02.03.08, 14:01

Rep: (13)
I tried to drive my T7250 a month ago - something ClockGen perceives it inadequately - shows a frequency of 27 Giga Hertz))) but the old HP with Pentium M 1.4 GigaHerts dispersed to two completely acceptable temperature was 55 Celsius.

And I have more: lol: Almost 37400 MHz O.o
Attached Image
I attached a screenshot of the same, only completely. This is not a photoshop, and glitch-2K server with Windows service packs 1 and 2-core AMD processor (in fact, I have it 2400MGts). I made on a home desktop at the end of the year. Moreover, it is not only DXDIAG so buggy, and in general the whole system. Funny catching "of the Ponte" cheap performance test system that assessed theoretically, but what! :) But a better place to SiSoft Sandra treat - only she, being not "fortune-teller", told the whole truth.

Attached files

Attached file38ghz.rar(373.78 KB)

Post has been editedDi'Brain - 03.03.08, 15:21

Full version    

Help     rules

Time is now: 25/03/20, 21:48