steamOS | [Linuxos] [other] Debian distribution on the basis of the Valve.
Are you interested in SteamOS?
Are you interested in SteamOS?
Of course! It has long been watching the news on this topic, I am going to try [ 111 ] ** [38,68%]
I'll try if they are positive reviews from players [ 65 ] ** [22,65%]
What for? After all, there's my favorite good old / warm, tube / certified Linux distribution. [ 39 ] ** [13,59%]
Linux - good OSes, but not for the entertainment / games. To do this, there will be Windows / console. [ 45 ] ** [15,68%]
I do not like Linux. Terminals, and other repositories scare me. [ 6 ] ** [2,09%]
I'm generally not a player, and absolutely not interested in running with the integration with the gaming service. [ 21 ] ** [7,32%]
Total votes: 287

Rep: (641)
While very little information and people's interest in this topic is not clear - I will create a topic just as the post since voting is, and brief information. If there is interest and there will be a discussion - ready to supervise and create topicfull cap .

Attached Image

Summary of SteamOShere

SteamOS download page with the system requirements and the Quick Installation Guide (in English)here

ATTENTION! Currently available are something like a beta version of Valve and counsels wait for the beginning of 2014, when the operating system will be completed yet, and will be on sale Steam Machines

The official system requirements:
Intel or AMD 64-bit compatible processor
4GB or more RAM
500GB or more places
NVIDIA video card (AMD and Intel support is coming soon)
Support for UEFI boot
USB to install

The operating system will be distributed free of charge.

Which has been developed for a long time, for testing Valve releases Steam client for Ubuntu Linux (which, of course, worked on other distributions). As positive developments can be noted that some time after the beginning of the game service client development for Linux (and together with customers to develop and native versions of some games, previously available only on the windows, and sometimes on the Mac) was released a new version propiretarnyh drivers on video, much improve performance in games.Link to information from Nvidia about it.Specifically, the fine print at the bottom of the page shows the following data
performance in 142.7 fps in the case of version 304.51 and 301.4fps driver if the driver version 310.14 beta version of Left for Dead 2. All tests were performed on the same system in the Intel Core i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz, 8GB of memory, GeForce GTX 680 and Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit.

And it's not just words - performance video on Linux really grew up, in my experience. On the driver has release version, not a beta version of Left 4 Dead 2 has gone on my Lubuntu with the FPS longer, than on Windows 7 (with the same maximum settings)

Post has been editedHellsingoff - 14.12.13, 21:53
Reason for edit: Removed request perensti theme in Unix section

Rep: (9)
to put, but my PC is too old. And I want to first review the normal reading.

Rep: (107)
I will not even probyvat, but all gamers Congratulations! Finally consolation.

vora_bat,
I followed the project last half a year or a year and now be sitting with this OS, tested and shared experiences, if not for one thing. I have tried just about to translate the instructions Custom installation SteamOS and feel the beginning of problems for another 4 point and ran into his knowledge (ignorance?) English 6 (taught English at the LycГ©e / College, was a French English purely automatic spoken -. Glued to the Internet, games , movies):

The second method is based on the Debian installer system
1. Download the file SteamOS beta of Custom installation
2. Unzip the file on formatted FAT32 USB drive.
3. Insert the USB drive into a computer, on which want to establish SteamOS. Turn on the computer and enter the BIOS startup from the USB drive
4. Make sure that you select the UEFI boot mode. If you choose not to UEFI, you want to include support for UEFI in the BIOS settings.
5. Select the automatic installation menu
6. The rest of the installation is unattended and will repartition the drive and install SteamOS. (The first time I realized that it is not very precisely understand what it was about and got into a translator Google, but also porridge obtained there did not give me an exact idea what the meaning My feeling is -. Next you need to choose which section to put steamos, but it It can be, and that alone will make ustanovochnik repartishn disk and thereby erase all your personal data and other OSes)
7. After the installation log in (using the Gnome session) using the preset "steam" account. Password "steam". Run Steam, accept the agreement and let it boot up. Log out of your Steam. (Not really sure I understand this point, you need to see to understand)
8. Log in using the account "desktop". Password "desktop".
9. In the terminal, run ~ / post_logon.sh. When required - enter "desktop" password. This script will perform post-installation configuration, remove yourself and reboot to the utility of creating the recovery partition.
10. Podstverdite pressing the "Y" to continue, and the recovery partition will be created. When you finish it, reboot into your installed SteamOS.

What I strained? To start with step 4. I have an old mother's card and I do not have her UEFI. Personally, I have always believed that the UEFI BIOS is needed as a replacement, it allows you to partition the hard disk to GPT and has a slightly different mechanism for transferring the operating system boot. This is all very well, but I never thought that the UEFIwould needto install and easy BIOS will not do. Perhaps just the same simple BIOS can do, but it will require some manual changes and further action. In the coming days will be in the evening to google on this topic on the forums, I hope soon to find information.

Well, and the second - paragraph 6. I do not quite understand whether there will be in my hands partitioning, or ustanovochnik pererazobot my HDD as He wills, and I will remain without files and partitions. On this subject, I will also ask Google evenings and wait until there are experimenters who are also interested in this question. If someone speaks good English and can answer unequivocally about paragraph 6 - I will be grateful.

With regard to paragraph 6, does not give rest not only a very clear statement in English, but also a warning Valve:
WARNING: Both installation methods will erase all content on the target computer

Which roughly translates as "CAUTION: Both the installation method will erase all data on the computer." Here also think after this, there will be in your hands HDD partition.

sneres
what is meant by "comforted"?

Post has been editedHellsingoff - 14.12.13, 19:58

Rep: (9)
Hellsingoff
So I read about that will erase all the data and how it perehotelos.

Rep: (107)
Hellsingoff comforted in the sense of enjoy, played enough
at the expense of how it works installer, I xs may overwrite the entire disk, or may ask where to put?
I understand you do not dare.
virtual box?

Post has been editedsneres - 14.12.13, 21:46

sneres @ 15.12.2013, 00:44*
I understand you did not dare

At least because there is no UEFI. Tomorrow I will try to start it from the virtualke yes. Watch what happens.

UPD. Suddenly I undermine and moving to a different address, it obviously will not be the Internet. Because until January from me no experiments, with the exception that the results gugleniya / forums (most likely, may find online)<_<

Post has been editedHellsingoff - 15.12.13, 11:43

Rep: (6)
On the basis of what it grounds? and whether it can be downloaded as normal Linux system? first time I hear that she gamers orentirovanna

Posted on 15.12.2013 15:20:

first time I hear that she gamers orentirovanna

Posted on 15/12/2013, 15:21:

who has already experienced it?

Rep: (2730)
Available review for "minded" like mehttp://www.3dnews.ru/787624/print

igor10388,
the foundation could be seen in the caption to the name of the theme. Debian 7.1. Is aimed at gamers, for this last year veylv together with Nvidia working on drivers for Linux, giving favor long before the current beta, but while on Linux ported not really a lot of games, and OS in beta stage.

A decent releases on Linux over the last year I can say that most of the current veylv games (Portal 2, HL2, l4d2) and Metro Last, the transmission light. Dandzheon Defenders still remember. before anything even close to it was - mostly confined to indie games like light. on the subway have nothing to say - the graphics worse than Windows (did not try - no license at the time of release as the time passed with Windows), but the rest on Linux I have shown results higher Windows (I have a license l4d2, dandzheon Defenders in Steam, others have portal 2). I really hope for further development, is pleased to go with the wind, have long been looking forward to it.

Shoore,
Thanks in advance, if possible, honor, and put a plus in the turnips, now sit with regularly disappears 3g, use opera mini :(
Ah. the link no specifics and new information, general information. but thanks for the link

Post has been editedHellsingoff - 16.12.13, 15:36

Rep: (2183)
Installation instructions SteamOS in VirtualBox | Video recording setup on youtube

Rep: (120)
Let us develop this theme. Hat, games, devices, etc. Incidentally, the local has one of those 300 beta testers who received a train?

Lindstr? M,
while information enough to swear, and all of it fits on the first page, alas. It will be an opportunity to accumulate more data and - is from my cap, change the first post is still possible, although I am not a curator.
From local - a loose concept. Russia / CIS? Definitely not, because of the problems of "bureaucracy" (as it seems to me, would rather it just came out expensive and could damage the device / stolen in transit) cars were only US residents, as I recall.
And if it is about a forum - just unlikely. There is people from other countries, but it is unlikely that among them there is at least one of those three hundred, too few copies were sent.
So just in case I remind you, this section of the forum on the operating system, and because the topic is devoted specifically steamos, rather than the controller from Valve or Steam machines.

Gloomy,
about! Now that's the first penny of information. Video in mind its current Internet was not looking, but after reading the manual. I am glad that there is already a way to bypass the UEFI requirements. Catch plus for the links, now put.

The instructions on how to link the same point continues to strain
2. Select "Automated install" and press Enter. SteamOS will install and soon to announce the completion.
Again, no information on the breakdown of the manual, but always says "choose the automatic installation of" possible next steps there are detailed manual adjustment.

Just out is not very joyful news can note the last paragraph with the conclusion:
In the end, the current version is Debian SteamOS with installed Steam, and the ability to download mode "Big Picture". As long as nothing else is available.

But I, to be honest, not so much interested in steamos myself, how interesting all the better driver in the video, a native client for Linux Steam and attract the attention of game developers to Linux to. I'm definitely with the advent of the Internet and the human more information try the distribution. But if there is to be released and will not be anything interesting, but it will be so "Debian with pre-stim" is likely to be back on his lubuntu, but still will be sincerely glad to diligence veylv that bring fruit in a year, even if you do not to pass on their distribution.

PS. And here is the first "Linux is not for the games," the voice, I would like to see in the comments why a man thinks so. Konsolschik, developer, or just never played with Linux / not even put linux?

Post has been editedHellsingoff - 17.12.13, 12:39

Rep: (258)
in anticipation of Steam OS stable and vidyuhi from dzhifors I put myself ubuntu used to sit on the windows but apparently things have changed for the game in the wine game using playonlinux since vidyuha weak in tanks FPS about 20 but you can play, days after 10 buy 650ti speak for them and the wood better

Rep: (0)
I put the client on Ubuntu. Games are going well.

worldxaker
Wine is not a panacea, but often there are funny things like "Vine is under no departures, and the game crash through the windows a random time from 5 minutes to an hour." We have since had one. In general, I noticed that under Vine productivity by 10-20% lower than usually + sometimes weird bugs with the management. And yes, play on Linux - relatively useless superstructure on the Vine ...
Pontifik,
And what the client stim under Ubuntu here and Steam axis? Theme is created about the axis, the customer something really nothing new - I was still among the first wave of beta testers was when the test was still closed, and "is not for everyone, by invitation only." If I am not mistaken, it was in November 2012 ...

PS still sitting with almost no connection, so no experiments and information :(

Post has been editedHellsingoff - 15.01.14, 16:39

Rep: (120)
Linux has more technical features than Windows. And potential AMPs it can be washed down more games, good and different than under Windows. Yes, now it is not, but potentially Linux is more suitable. And stimOS-great idea.Under Linux there are games, and both are good!

Rep: (2183)
SteamOS update brought the possibility of a dual boot and do not support UEFI-systems

To display gaming systems Steam Machines on the market need at least a final version of the software platform SteamOS. Currently, the company Valve has released a new beta version of the OS SteamOS in which the two main problems have been eliminated - the inability to dual boot and do not support UEFI--systems.
According to a report posted inSteam community, A huge contribution to the updated SteamOS made users of the Internet community and directhex ecliptik and their project entitledYe Olde SteamOSe.Valve representatives, in turn, add something from yourself and make a change in the official assembly SteamOS.
We have not had time to test this assembly, to a greater extent, it concerns the possibility of a dual boot. Therefore, do not install it on a machine that you are not willing to lose
He said one of Valve employees John Werth.
Valve Company also announced that the new version has been corrected SteamOS problem with the audio output, which is characteristic for the gaming systems Steam Machine based on Intel processors, for example, Gigabyte Brix Pro. The new version SteamOS operating system available for download in the form ofISO image.

Source: itc.ua, full copy-paste from there,original article

Rep: (327)
It made me very interested in the ability to install games broken. If there is one (and of the game, respectively), Oska becomes interesting for me :) No network multiplayer I did not upset (admit only local).

Rep: (44)
How would support Intel's coprocessor video is already present, is not working just awful to share intel and n-vidii called optimus.Vopros such and such when you install necessary to feed the entire drive him? The site hangs a warning that all data will be sterty.Ili you can still put it in the section of the sample?

Rep: (0)
I take a subject for about a week.
So...
1. Installation instructions hopelessly outdated, replace.
2. On the Internet there is a version with a grub-pc instead of b-gomerzkogo grub-uefi, Google.
3. Some games (Rust) does not run at all, or not on the first try (Spacebase DF-9).
4. After installing the proprietary drivers in the video (AMD Radeon 7640) arose out of the box. Overall performance is not inferior to Ubuntu + Steam
5. Local Debian repository is empty, means a minimum (but there repah in Chrome and g ++: lol:), but apparently, so be it (the main focus of the game, rather than the administration of Apache).
6. There is a built-in mp3-YOBA-player, right in BigPicture, that has pleased.
7. There is an unexplained problem with your purchase: qiwi fallen off and webmoney completely (can and should be o.O?)

Total. Satisfied. Made backups with a win and linux partition (UEFI I did not), filled in for half an hour with a subject flehi, satisfied.
PS: Before this was a vain attempt to put Debian 7.7, but he did not see any eth, no wlan. Here everything works izkorobki.

<Test hardware: Laptop Lenovo G505s>

Full version    

Help     rules

Time is now: 10/03/20, 22:51