Attention!
  • In this thread, selectuninterrupted power supply unit for computer
  • Choosing a power supply for a computer in the subjectPC power supplies
  • The remaining components and assemblies inrelated topics

How to ask for help in choosing a UPS:
  • Name the complete PC configuration and all the power supply model
  • Availability \ no overclocking components
  • Call the budget for the purchase and the store \ city for pricing
  • UPS requirements - battery life, noise level, size, color, etc.

Topics on the choice of components

There is no curator in the subject. For questions about filling the caps, please contact the section moderators via the buttonPictureunder the messages to which you want to add links.

Post has been editedKOT-BE3DEXOD - 28.06.20, 23:51

Rep: (0)
I live in the village. I have stronger power surges, from 135 to 235 volts. My PC restarts every 10 minutes. When the voltage "falls" below 160 Volt - the computer restarts, and at the same time it breaks, the video card burned recently, sometimes it can not even turn on the first time - there is not enough power due to the low voltage. If you continue to use the computer under these conditions, it can quickly burn out.

Requirements UPS (uninterruptible power supply):
• So that the computer does not restart due to low voltage, even when there will be 135 volts;
• To run the computer on battery for at least 10-15 minutes (you need to have time to save everything, read it, etc.).

Tell me what a reliable UPS (uninterruptible power supply) buy go and my conditions?

* PBSP2,

Computer Configuration:
• Processor: Quad-Core Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4 GHz)
• Type of video card and video memory: discrete, nVidia GeForce GTX 750, 1 GB of dedicated video memory
• Volume HDD: 1 TB
• DVD-RW
• Card reader
• 8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM
• BP 500 W (I do not know the exact model, but the PC is exactly the sameEverest Home 8060 (8060_4904)

External devices connected to the UPS:
• Dell UltraSharp U2412M Black (860-10161)
• ASUS RT-N10E router
• OKI B2200 Laser Printer
• HP Scanjet G2410 Scanner
• Acoustic system TARGA (Buffer and 5 small speakers)
• Table lamp

The budget is not important, because need not to reboot the PC. So we choose a powerful UPS. I wanted to buy in the Ukrainian online store, for example, inOutlet.

* PBSP2,
If you remove the printer - it would be much cheaper to pick up. Everything is exactly without a printer, the UPS is also expensive. Not very profitable for the sake of one PC. Now I think about buying a thyristor stabilizer so that all equipment can protect against voltage surges.

Rep: (3036)
UPS There are three main types

Off-line - Redundant power supply. In the absence of failure in the network, the user is running on the network, and the UPS is in "standby" state. In the event of a network voltage above the regulated UPS manufacturer quantities, this type of device immediately proceeds to work on batteries. This type of UPS is the cheapest, it has no possibility of cold start, it does not chip voltage regulator. In this type of IBM no models with a "clean" sine wave output. Of the remedies it has only a fuse or thermal fuse, varistor surge protection to network and passive filters from high-frequency noise and spikes. This UPS battery life is small, due to the fact that he constantly switches to battery operation when you reject a mains voltage in the range of about 10-20%.

Line-Interactive - Line-interactive UPS type. Perhaps the most common type of devices. In contrast to the above-described type, the data UPS equipped stabilizer voltage (AVR), by which it maintains the voltage to the user within the normal voltage in the case of deviations in the network for a particular model of regulated magnitude. For some UPS models, this limit may be up 160 to 280 volts. In this case, the UPS will not transfer to on-battery in case of a voltage deviation in the normal range established by the manufacturer, thus, the battery life is much longer than the UPS type Off-Line. UPS data support the "cold start" - that is, the user can turn on even in the absence of voltage. There are models with sine wave output, and with a modified sine wave output. Usually, these UPS are equipped with protection against over-current, fuse \ thermal fuse, varistor, there is a surge protector, and an interface for connection to a PC, which allows to shut down the PC without the user's involvement. These UPS more than their younger counterparts, and most often recommended to purchase for your home computer.

Online - Power supply with dual conversion. The most technologically sophisticated type of UPS. It is intended for most consumers imposes high demands on the quality of the supply voltage (servers, file storage, powerful computing station). The principle of operation of this type of UPS is fundamentally different from the previous two types of UPS.

First, the input AC voltage is converted to DC and then back to AC voltage via the inverter. When the input voltage failure load transfer to battery power is not required because the batteries included in the circuit is constant, so for these UPS parameter "switching time of the battery" has no meaning. UPS data have the lowest efficiency, therefore, to have increased noise due to the presence of an active cooling system and increased heating. In this type of UPS, because of its design, the lowest battery life.

So, the UPS types figured out what to pay attention in the store when we choose UPS:

Power : It is measured in volt-amperes. Formulas cause I will not - a rough estimate: 500 VA - it is 250-270 watts. UPS capacity is adjusted for the power consumption of the PC, rather than a power supply unit. Since the power supply can be 800 watts, while the PC but, may consume for example 400 watts.

Battery life - There are UPSs in which you barely manage to save work on your PC and turn it off normally, and there are those that turn the PC into a stationary laptop.

AVR availability - It is a voltage stabilizer. It also extends battery life, since the UPS does not switch to batteries as often in the event of mains voltage

Type of output voltage - Sinusoid or imitation of a sinusoid. For home PCs, imitation of a sine wave is usually sufficient.

Battery Transit Time - less is better. This affects the stability of the PC during the transfer of the UPS to the battery. For high-quality UPS, this parameter is within 2-6ms.

Interface for PC connection - usually USB - allows you to install power management software on your PC.

UPS type - On Line, Line interactive, Off line . Described in detail above. The first is used for servers and one for regular PCs and the third - a backup source - so it is better not to get involved.

Manufacturer - quality manufacturer sets a good battery, specifically designed to work in the UPS that provides long-term operation of the UPS. quality Battery life can be up to several years, but this period varies greatly depending on the switching frequency to the battery. It is not recommended to buy UPS from an unknown manufacturer or producer not having enough experience in this area, without first ascertaining as the selected UPS models.

Availability of surge protection and filters - depends on what happens to your PC in case of force majeure with electricity.

The presence of protection against short circuit and overload - protects your UPS in case of force majeure with a load that is connected to it.

Noise level - Some models are equipped with active cooling. When the choice is to know on what algorithm works cooling, for example, only when running on battery, while charging the battery or at high load. There are models in which the fan is always running.

battery Manufacturer - this as the same depends on how many survive to replace the battery. Average service life of the battery from 2 to 5 years, depending on many factors, such as the frequency of transition to the battery temperature, and battery charger circuitry, of course, the battery manufacturer. The most well-known manufacturers of high-quality - CSB, Yuasa, Leoch, Delta, FIAMM, Tudor, Sonnenschein, B.B. Battery, Panasonic and others. It is not recommended to buy a replacement battery completely unknown brands, in particular those who are not engaged in the production of batteries - such "producers" are often bought in China, the cheapest battery, mark his own name and sold as branded. In practice, these batteries are "live" no longer noneym Chinese products.

Which vendors are most commonly found on sale? The most popular are:APC, PowerCom (PCM), Eaton, Ippon, CyberPower, Tripp lite, Delta, AEGAnd many others, and if the brand is unknown does not mean that the products are substandard.

The eternal question when choosing a UPS - to combine my power supply with UPS? Yes, the problem of the conflict with BP APFC (active power factor correction) to the UPS is indeed the case, but now the percentage of conflict PSU is rapidly decreasing. Some people think that in order to avoid problems, you need to buy expensive UPS with sine wave output. However, this does not guarantee that the conflict will not be.

I want, in this case, add a little (try to understand language) APFC does not require a "pure sine wave". BP conflict with the UPS is most often in the following cases:

1) - if the power supply is equipped Full range (FR) - extended range of supply voltages. This technology - roughly responds to voltage dips in the network that reduces impedance input circuit power supply - because of this power supply current consumption from the mains jumps at times, but thanks to this, BP continues to work steadily. FR is very fast, faster than the UPS switches to the battery! When using battery power, the UPS for a split second without leave PSU power and FR regards it as voltage drawdown and starts to reduce the resistance of the stage! As a result of the cascade of power supply rebuilt to a lower voltage and thus higher current! At this point turn on the UPS with its stable 220V, and the power supply we have (say) on the 150B had to be reconstructed. Good equipped UPS protection just off overcurrent and bad simply burned! Therefore, in this case, though, would need a two-time supply of UPS power.

2) Sometimes conflict with the UPS and power supply c APFC without FR. But sometimes it is under load. Indirect reason for that - producers, supporting the trend to reduce the cost of their products, which is placed in a power supply capacitors on the front end too little capacity. For example there is a PSU with 600 watts of power, while the capacitor 300mkf! In another PSU, under the same conditions - 600mkf. Manufacturers believe that with the increase in overall efficiency in BP (80+ certificate) eliminates the need for a greater capacitance. they are partly right. However, these same capacitors are playing more and function of the energy storage device, allowing the power supply continue to operate in case of loss or voltage dips in the fraction of a second, so-called "retention time." This is exactly what is needed for stable operation of the UPS. But here is the UPS will not turn off the overload and switches off power supply due to the fact that UPS did not have time to apply voltage having exhausted the stored energy in these capacitors. Therefore, if there is a problem - it helps increase the capacity of these capacitors.

3) High inrush current. Pulsed power supply at startup time consuming impressive amount of current . This pulse is of a second, but it can be enough to send the UPS protection.

Therefore, at this point, if you have a power supply with APFC + FR - the need to look for a UPS with the lowest possible time using battery power, and a good supply of power, or, if resources allow, UPS type online (with double conversion, which do not have while you switch to battery).

And if you plan to build a PC or buying a new power supply, and it will be paired with a UPS - then it is better to buy a power supply with APFC without FR, pre-reading reviews and noting the test work with the UPS and on the capacity of installed capacitors in the input (high voltage) PSU circuit and inrush current.

Post has been editedWSonic - 28.06.20, 18:48

Rep: (2)
People tell me what to do?

There are UPS DNS Pure Power 2000VA. One fine night in the sockets of the whole entrance instead of 220 volts was 380 volts. All TV sets, charging from phones, power supply units of computers, everything got burned. This same UPS growled, buzzed, but still survived. And it continues to work, but the transformer began to get very hot. Tell me what you can do?

What I've done.

1) General inspection
I removed the cover from the UPS. I watch all the electronics intact, not what is not burned. Transformer on the appearance of the same good form. There is no blackout, the smell of transformer fumes does not smell.

2) I thought the interturn circuit.
I disconnected the secondary from the board and turned on the transformer at idle. The transformer also heats up, after 30 minutes the hand on the gland does not hold. I checked the voltage on the secondary windings, it corresponds to what is written on the transformer. The Chinese on the transformer painted all the windings and the voltage on them. Measured voltage, all voltages are correct. So, there is no interfluid closure, otherwise the voltage on the secondary housing would increase.

I connected the transformer to the electronics, turned on the UPS from the batteries. That is, the secondary supply voltage of 24 volts, in the primary received 220 volts. That is, again, I do not see the inter-branch closure. Otherwise, I would have received less tension in the primary.

But then why did the transformer warm up after 380 volts? What happened? Is it possible to leave everything so? But the temperature of the transformer is such that the hand does not hold.

Andrei_IW @ 07/30/2014, 1:47 PM*
What happened?

Burnt your transformer. Somewhere minor interturn, or leakage. Especially if there is no overvoltage protection.

Rep: (2729)
Eh, I do not know what was in the sockets, but the situation with the UPS is one-on-one. Stopped to hold the load, do not touch the transformer :(
Pichalka.
Nagulil trance
Attached Image

Post has been editedShoore - 04.08.14, 18:30
Reason for editing: lost browser profile due to it ...

Shoore @ 08/04/2014, 18:22*
Stopped to hold the load, do not touch the transformer

Can overload?

* PBSP2, I do not know, just for a long time there were no problems with electricity (more than a year), and then the light flashed and everything went out. It is useful to check the UPS, but it does not hold the load at all. The battery is almost 13 volts, but there is nothing to check it under load. Attached ImageWell, since I soon got to the viscera, I noticed that I would not touch the trance.

Posted on 08/04/2014, 19:11:

500VA (I do not know of such units) is written on a sticker, on the site, it seems, 450W is stated, I could hardly overload it. A year and a half ago, the protection worked in it, when I ran a test of performance in the Seven: DThe choice of components for BB (Post # 19907900)

Post has been editedShoore - 04.08.14, 19:21

Shoore @ 08/04/2014, 19:11*
500BA

Vrlt-Amps. It is approximately 350 watts.

Judging by your configuration, he worked at the limit.

PBSP2 @ 08/04/2014, 20:27*
Judging by your configuration
Yes, my config only with the performance test gives the maximum load, all the rest of the time, consider it in idle mode. I do not use a video card at all, it is used as a stub, so what would have been, where to plug the monitor.
P.S. Hung up the laptop now on it, it seems to hold: scratch_one-s_head:
Attached Image

I looked in the morning with a "fresh eye", and the battery, which stood in the UPS, split along the seamAttached Imageprobably because of the heat, there is less than a centimeter before the trance in that place.
In general, should the transformer heat up, even if the device is idle idle? Nothing is included, just plugged into the outlet. Maybe some shield to put between the battery and the transformer ...
Attached Image

Post has been editedShoore - 19.03.16, 00:41

Rep: (1958)
* Shoore, The quality of the installation is terrible, I would not risk using it.
Although ... meybi I'm just APC'om pampered ... :-)

Shoore @ 08/04/2014, 20:11*
500BA (I do not know of such units) is written on a sticker
PBSP2 @ 08/04/2014, 20:27*
Vrlt-Amps. It is approximately 350 watts.
http://otvet.mail.ru/question/15956207
http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=68:6
PS I read with pleasure. :-)
And the APC article:http://www.ctd-s.ru/ar…/SADE-5TNQYF_R0_RU.pdf
Attached Image

Post has been editedpasha_550 - 05.08.14, 15:31
Reason for editing: apc

* Shoore,
I am more inclined that trans is heated due to the dead battery
Pasha_550 @ 08/05/2014, 15:09*
mounting quality is terrible

As for me - normal. In the Chinese UPS you can really see the engineering delights of economical designers :)

I could enter the site only through a swap DNS

Pasha_550 @ 08/05/2014, 16:09*
mounting quality is terrible
Yes, this is a picture from Google (though I have almost the same): D
This one looks more like
Attached Image

And here, by the way, there is some kind of partition between battery and trance, like there isI also have this, it is 1 cm tall from the bottom

PBSP2 @ 08/05/2014, 16:33*
trance heats up because of the dead battery
So, I put another (lay some).

Added 08/05/2014, 15:38:

With her holds, at least, a laptop. With BB, there is no desire to experiment. Yes, and in principle, a UPS for three years has come in handy once or twice, so it’s not critical at all without it.

Post has been editedShoore - 05.08.14, 15:49

Shoore @ 08/05/2014, 15:38*
So, I put another (lay some).

Is it warming with a new one too?

Rep: (1958)
I am more inclined that trans is heated due to the dead battery
Hardly, unless the battery is short-circuited.
In the Chinese UPS, you can really see the engineering delights of economical designers
Nudanuda ... To assemble a computer for $ 1k and plug in a PSU or UPS for 30 is ours, dear. : D

PBSP2 @ 08/05/2014, 16:45*
Is it warming with a new one too?
Yep True, not sure about her "news", once at an old job I chose the most alive of a pile of unknown origin.

Posted on 08/05/2014, 15:47:

Pasha_550 @ 08/05/2014, 16:46*
for $ 1k and stick BP or UPS for 30
I generally picked it up in the garbage. Laundered, bought a battery and he honestly worked for three years: D

Shoore @ 08/05/2014, 15:46*
Hardly, unless the battery is short-circuited.

Well, I'm not a complete short, I mean, and a leak is an increased charging current.

Posted on 08/05/2014, 15:48:

* Shoore,
Again - sure that the trance did not warm up before?

PBSP2 @ 08/05/2014, 16:48*
Are you sure that the trance did not warm up before?
Shoore @ 07/18/2014, 11:05 PM*
The UPS is clearly not "free" running, warm all over.
But I did not climb inside before, I didn’t feel trance. Warm and warm, maybe it should be so ... There are exactly 60 degrees (hand tolerate, through clenched teeth): D

PBSP2 @ 08/05/2014, 16:48*
leakage - increased charging current
When charging 13.6, the tester appears, after the night had stayed off, 13.4 - hardly a leak, I would have sat down more.

Post has been editedShoore - 05.08.14, 15:58

Shoore @ 08/05/2014, 15:51*
There are definitely 60 degrees

It can be said cold. He has a boundary temperature - 130C

Posted on 08/05/2014, 16:05:

Between the battery and trance, smell a piece of asbestos - so that the battery does not heat up, and let it continue to live.

Full version    

Help     rules

Time is now: 20/07/20, 17:23