Turn your Android-device into a full-fledged portable gaming console | [How-to] Sixaxis + Android + Gameklip

Rep: (139)
Sixaxis + Android + Gameklip - we get a portable game console

Attached Image

Introduction
(In this article you can find some information that is familiar to you, but I hope that it will be useful for someone).

All we are witnessing lightning productivity growth of mobile devices, and as a consequence, the emergence of all the cool new mobile games, the graphics which comes close to the schedule of games for the PC. The scope of mobile games is gradually otvoovyvaet your audience members. But there is a mobile one unpleasant feature - the touchscreen is not always convenient to play serious games. Some people it scares. Fans of PC games simply do not represent the gameplay without their favorite keyboard and mouse, and fans consoles - without a gamepad.

The mobile gaming industry is not standing still. Together with it, projects are being developed that make the game as convenient as possible. The mere appearance of Nvidia Shield and many other (especially Chinese) portable game consoles on Android says a lot: to play on a physical gamepad is more convenient than on a touch screen - a fact!

But, one of the most convenient gamepads can rightly be considered a Sony Playstation gamepad - Sixaxis.
Sixaxis
Attached Image

Starting with the very first Sony PS1, gamepad has not changed much in appearance. Indeed, it is convenient. And to our delight it is perfectly connected to the most modern Android-devices and allows you to play with the convenience of the console! But you and I are big fans of portability. Agree, it is inconvenient to put your phone or tablet on a table on a stand and play it with a gamepad - the concept of mobility and portability of this combination does not fit. For this there is the console and the TV. But, thanks to the people who embody a reality, seemingly simple, but very comfortable thing. A man named Ryan French invented just such a contraption. Her name Gameklip.

You may have heard of her before. Gameklip’s goal is one - to reunite your smartphone or even a 7 ”tablet with a Sony gamepad. It turns out, roughly speaking, a kind of portable gaming console that you can take with you anywhere - on a trip, to a university, to work, etc.
Sixaxis + Gameklip + Android
[attachment = "2939652: IMG_20130509_183954.jpg"]

So, from the prolonged introduction, we turn to the review. Let's talk about connecting the gamepad to the device and other interesting points, and also try to make the Gameklip yourself at home.

How it works? In detail.
  • 1. Gameklip’s varieties.
    All possible types of gameklip’s can be found atofficial website. At the moment there are only two:
    Special Gameklip for Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Gameklip for Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Attached Image

Universal Gameklip
    Universal Gameklip
    Attached Image

Included with each Gameklip’s are two cables: a Micro USB cable - Mini USB to connect the gamepad to the device and a short USB cable Mini USB to charge the gamepad, as well as a small instruction.

With Gameklip'om for Samsung Galaxy SIII everything is clear - a design made for a comfortable room in her respective device from Samsung. A little more interesting things with universal Gameklip'om. This Gameklip holding device via a soft rubber boot to which it is attached ordinary double-sided adhesive tape (supplied with universal Gameklip'om carefully put alcohol napkin for degreasing the surface by attaching a cover in front). Thus, you definitely need to buy more to universal Gameklip'u carrying case. It is desirable that it was a rubber - for easy installation and removal of your device. Covers for some devices (Nexus 7, Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus, S3 Mini, Note, Note2, Galaxy S2, Xperia S, Xperia Arc HD, Xperia Nozomi) sold on site. Covers for other devices, you can try search sites online stores, such as Aliexpress or try to find in the stores in your city.

Fixing with double-sided tape is very convenient - if you want to change your device, you can simply tear off the old tape, buy a case for a new device, buy double-sided tape and glue it again.

• 2. Connect the gamepad to the device with a Micro USB cable - Mini USB (root is not needed).
    As a gamepad, both the simple Sixaxis and the Sixaxis Dualshock 3 are suitable, but the vibration function has not yet been implemented (and it is not known whether it will exist at all). To connect the gamepad via cable, your device must have the OTG function. Perfectly connects the Nexus 7 or, for example, Galaxy SIII. But the Nexus 4 in this way will not be able to connect. But do not worry - this problem is solved by connecting the gamepad via Bluetooth.

• 3. Connect the gamepad to the device via Bluetooth (need root).
    To do this, we need the Sixaxis Controller (savagemessiahzine.com, Google play) (I use this program, as, in my opinion, the most convenient, but there are alternatives). Initially, you need to check the compatibility of your device with a gamepad. This will help us free programSixaxis Compatibility Checker. To check compatibility, you first need to enter the MAC address of your device into the Bluetooth gamepad. This is done quite simply: open the Sixaxis Compatibility Checker and click Start (the program will ask for root privileges) - a window will pop up with a brief instruction and a Bluetooth MAC address.
    Sixaxis Compatibility Checker
    Attached Image

Also, the MAC address can be seen at the very bottom of the program window. Download and install the program.SixaxisPairTool, connect the gamepad to the computer with a mini-USB cable and open the SixaxisPairTool (to avoid problems, it is advisable to open as administrator). The drivers should be installed, and a PLAYSTATIONВ®3 Controller device will appear in the device manager:
    device Manager
    Attached Image

Type in your MAC address in the program and click Update. That's it, now the gamepad and your Android will recognize each other.

Another way to write the MAC address to the gamepad (suitable only for devices with the OTG function): just connect the gamepad to the device with a cable and in the Sixaxis Controller program click the "Pair Controller" button.

The list of tested devices is intopicSixaxis Controller software onsavagemessiahzine.com.

So, you have a gamepad, you have checked compatibility with your device - everything is fine. How now to connect the gamepad and start playing?

1) Install the Sixaxis Controller (I advise you to purchase it in the market - it is worth the money). The program prompts you to enter the “Language and Input” settings. Agree and tick "Sixaxis Controller" (a warning will pop up - click OK).
    2) Return to the program and click Start. The program will request superuser rights and go into controller search mode.
    Sixaxis controller
    Attached Image

3) Press the center button on your gamepad (turn on the gamepad).
    4) In case of successful connection on the gamepad, the LED indicating the controller number will light up, and the Sixaxis Controller will notify you of the connection of the client and display the status of its battery.
    Sixaxis controller
    Attached Image

If the program writes Connection Failed - your device is not supported.
    5) Important! Go to the settings of the Sixaxis Controller. In the settings, select Gamepad Settings, and tick the box next to Enable Gamepad. This will allow game console emulator programs and some games to know that you will play through the gamepad.
    6) Start the game :)
    7) After you have finished playing, do not forget to press Stop in the program (this will stop the connection between the gamepad and the device and turn off the gamepad).

If you want to connect the joystick and then reconnect to the console, it will be enough to connect it with a cord to the PS3 and turn on the console first, then the gamepad, they will grab themselves.

For games, I use the original gamepad CECHZC2E.

• 4. Games with native (initial - from the developer) support.
    There are almost no problems with them. Connect the gamepad, open the game and play. Consider the example of GTA Vice City and Shadowgun Deadzone.

GTA Vice City:
    GTA Vice City
    Attached Image

The easiest option. Connect the gamepad, go into the game and you can see that the on-screen buttons are hidden. The game process does not interfere. Management is convenient. All buttons are pre-configured by the developer.

Shadowgun Deadzone:
    Despite the fact that the game has native support for the gamepad, in it you first need to adjust the control buttons as you like. In the current version of the game this can be done in the main menu. Previously, the settings menu buttons opened only when entering the game mode.
    Shadowgun Deadzone
    Attached Image

Attached Image

• 5. Emulators of game consoles.
    With them, too, everything is quite simple. Consider the example of the emulator Densy (Nes) - "Nesoid"And the emulator Sega Mega Drive2 -"MD.Emu". I recommend these emulators. Maybe in the future I will talk about the impressions of the game on the PS1 emulator (I have not played PS1 yet, but, as you can imagine, playing PS1 on our portable console is even better than on the PSP - after all, the PSP has only two shifts, and in the gamepad everything 4 (R1, R2, L1, L2). Yes, and Sixaxis itself originates from the very same gamepad for PS1. So our console in this issue is out of competition.

Nesoid
    Nesoid
    Attached Image

Nesoid also determines the presence of connected gamepad. Adjust to taste in the program settings, aspect ratio, the screen orientation, zoom mode and more. But the main thing - do not forget to put a tick in the menu "Advanced" - "Use the joystick" and the menu "Management" to assign each key corresponding button gamepad. In addition, do not forget to remove the checkbox "Virtual Keyboard" in the same menu to hide the onscreen buttons. I also assign quick save at the press of the right stick and load quickly on pressing the left stick.

MD.Emu
    MD.Emu
    Attached Image

This program also understands the presence of a connected gamepad. Customize the display options:
    Display options
    Attached Image

Turn off the on-screen buttons and configure the gamepad keys:
    Keys
    Attached Image

• 6. Games without native support.
    It's a little more complicated here. Having connected a gamepad in one way or another, you will not be able to control the game process using a gamepad. But there is a way out of this - a little patience and effort.

1) For those using a Bluetooth connection.
    It is necessary in the Sixaxis Controller program to create a profile for a particular game. Consider creating a profile on the example of the game Six Guns:
    Instruction
    1. Open the game and take a screenshot:
    Attached Image

2. Minimize the game, open the Sixaxis Controller, go to Settings, then "Touch Emulation", then "Edit Touch Profiles". This window will appear:
    Attached Image

3. Double tap on the screen and select Change Background. Download a screenshot of the game. It turns out something like this:
    Attached Image

4. Again, double tap on the screen and select "Edit Background". Rotate the picture and drag the buttons as needed.
    5. Tapan twice and select the "Add Button". Add the necessary buttons as you need. Here it is necessary to add that in the Six Guns game, for example, a review carried around the character swipe across the screen. In order to realize the emulation of such a swipe, you can double tap on the button, analog stick (in this case, the right stick), select the "Button Properties" and tick the "Relative Touch". In some other games will be needed to put daw Wrap Mode. In general, sometimes have to experiment with the settings. Also in the settings you can turn stick inversion axes, and change other settings. With regard to conventional buttons - in their settings, you can set the emulation for ekarnu swipe, swipe the distance and direction. This function is useful, for example in a series of games N.O.V.A. to switch weapons.
    In addition, it should be said that sometimes the buttons need to be positioned slightly away from the button on the screen — this applies particularly to the right side of the screen (for morehere).
    Attached Image

6. After setting up the buttons, double-click and click "Save Profile". Give the profile a name.
    7. Now go to the main interface of Sixaxis Controller and select your profile:
    Attached Image
    Attached Image

Also recommend to remove the checkbox "Enable Gamepad" in the settings of the Sixaxis Controller. This will avoid failures in the program in the emulation mode of clicks. However, I do not take pictures - there are no problems.
    8. Start the game :) If you don’t like something, you can enter the program and edit the settings. For them to take effect, you need to save the profile.

2) For those using a cable connection.

Here the setting is slightly less convenient (due to the fact that there are no profiles), but everything is also easy and simple. Consider the setting on the example of the same Six Guns:
    Instruction
    1. We need 2 programs (USB / BT Joystick Center and Joy2Touch Server). You can downloadhere. At the time of writing, I used the 7th version of USB / BT Joystick Center and the 4th Joy2Touch Server (downloaded fromof thispost - thanks laid out).

The USB / BT Joystick Center program is paid, and the hacked version allows you to run only once. On the second launch checks the license and offers to buy. As I did not try to defeat the program Lucky Patcher, I did not succeed. You'll have to deal with the license yourself.

In general, install USB / BT Joystick Center first (I recommend to buy it onPlay market. A license (or bypass) is necessary if you do not want to reinstall the program before each use), then Joy2Touch Server.

2. Open USB / BT Joystick Center. In the upper left corner we see the IME switch. Click it and put a tick "USBJoyIME" in the language settings and input. We return to the program. Press the IME switch again and select USBJoyIME.

3. In the upper right corner there is a button "HELP", and to the left the switch "J>T ". Click it, grant root rights - the message" Joy2Touch Server Started "should appear.

4. Connect our PS3 gamepad cable to the device and click "Search". The device is located - DO NOT put the checkbox "Use as default for this USB device", click OK. At this point, the program window should look like this:
    Attached Image

5. Press the central power button on the gamepad, then the PS3 USB Controller (1) button in the program. Now press the TOUCH Edit-M button, and on the gamepad press SELECT. TOUCH Edit-M should blink yellow and turn red. :
    Attached Image

6. Exit the program with the back button.

7. Open the game (I open the Six Guns). Press the SELECT button and see:
    Attached Image

8. Now the most interesting - we need to assign buttons. Assign the left stick: move the left stick up and hold it in that position. At this time (while you hold the stick) you move (just move, not just press - although you can press for a long time, but I prefer to move with a small radius) on the screen in the place where approximately the run is. Such an area will appear (it can be increased by lifting the stick up and decreasing by lowering it):
    Attached Image

Strange, but this area on my screen appears slightly higher and to the left than the place where I leaned my finger. But physically, she is in the right place - so do not pay attention. I hope you are not confused. Understand yourself when you customize.

Now set up the right stick. As I wrote above, the review around the character in this game is implemented by svaypami, so we need a corresponding mode. We put the stick about the middle of the way described above. Let go of the stick. Raise it again and drive with a small radius. The stick switches to SLIDE mode - what we need. Stick up - swipe speed increases; Stick down - decreases (there is a speed counter under the stick):
    Attached Image

The hardest thing behind.

Customize the rest of the buttons, not paying attention to the fact that they are placed in the wrong place. As a result, we get something like this:
    Attached Image

Press SELECT and play! If something is not pleasant - we edit.

9. After the game, press IME and select the usual input method, and also stop the server using the "J>T ".

• 7. We continue to improve the convenience of the game - we hide the virtual buttons.
    The so-called trend of the present time, dictated by the devices of the Nexus line - virtual control buttons that are located at the bottom of the display and select a few dozen useful pixels. After opening the game, these buttons remain on the display and somewhat interfere with the gameplay. In some custom firmware there is a function to hide these buttons from the display. But in the stock firmware this function, as a rule, does not exist. The solution to this problem is the GMD Gesture Control program (Google play, savagemessiahzine.com). Of course, you need Root to use it. Install the program and leave the gesture on to hide the status bar:
    GMD Gesture Control
    Attached Image

In fact, the regular way to hide the buttons is not very convenient - I create my own gesture (the regular one can be turned off) with the following settings:
    Attached Image

The buttons are hidden with a swipe up on the upper third of the screen on the left side.
    Video instruction(hiding Android onscreen buttons (GMD Gesture Control) HD).

Do not forget to hide the status bar before the game.

• 8. Using one gamepad with multiple android devices.
    This situation has developed in my case: one gamepad, and two devices - nexus 4 and nexus 7. Everything would be fine, but I love to connect the gamepad via Bluetooth. And since the Bluetooth MAC address of the devices is different, then the gamepad must be configured each time to a new MAC address. Agree, not too convenient. Fortunately, nexus 7 supports OTG and you can play it with a cable, and in the gamepad hold the nexus 4 MAC address.

But there is still more interesting way: to Nexus 4, I had a phone Lenovo K860 (Android 4.0.4), and also had a nexus 7. Now, browsing through the Lenovo system folders, I found a file which is responsible for MAC-address and a drummed into him the MAC-address of the Nexus 7. Dualshock 3 beautifully seen as Lenovo, and Nexus 7. to my great regret, the file that is responsible for the MAC-address in the Nexus 4, I could not find and I will be grateful if someone will tell, where it lies. So we have to do in the event of a cable from your Nexus 7.

Instructionon using the gamepad with two android devices fromvelya (not applicable to all devices and firmware).

• 9. Unpleasant moments.
    I was very happy when I received the long-awaited Gameklip'y. The first thing stuck Gameklip to boot from the nexus 4, set it on a gamepad, and put the phone. Picking up the entire structure, quite feel the massive phone with cover. The basis weight is at the top, above the hands, not the hands. This problem, of course, have no specialized console, but nothing can be done. Is it critical? Yes, I would say that it is not critical. After the very first 15 minutes of the game is entirely immersed in the gameplay, but the hands are getting used to the weight.

Another point - the design easily overturns when lying on the table, if you touch the phone, but this is nagging.

Unfortunately, at the moment I have not yet received a cover for the Nexus 7 and I can not estimate the weight of this design. Be sure to accomplish your goal when the boot comes.The cover came. To weight you get used instantly. At first, of course, it was hard, but now, even after a long non-game period, the construction does not seem heavy. Conclusion - the problem with weight worries a little only at the stage of addiction, in the future, you just do not notice it.

• 10. Cost Gameklip.
    It is also one of the unpleasant moments is that Gameklip made in the USA and get it in Russia is problematic. Gameklip himself to a piece of plastic and a pair of cables is expensive: 19.95 USD + shipping. A delivery, for example, in Russia will cost 45.45 USD. Not cheap entertainment, you will agree. Here are the options: book through an agent in the US to do something else, for example, with the phone. I ordered a Nexus 4. I ordered 2 Gameklip'a and Case for Nexus 4 (now online and has a cover for the Nexus 7, but he appeared recently). Delivery to the broker in the United States (New Jersey) costs 11.25 USD. Thus Gameklip'a 2, pouch and delivery to the intermediary cost me 54,1 USD.

UPD: Gameklip appeared on the Chinese at Aliexpress for only 9 USD! You can buy here and here
    Buying Experience in Chinafrom-bender-

If you want to make the holder yourself, then read the next item.

• 11. Gameklip do it yourself.
    Optionfromjoinerlex ;
    Optionfromsavagemessiahzine.comNEO ;
    Optionfromvine555 ;
    Optionfrombzz11g ;
    Optionfrommark32
    OptionfromKirK2
    OptionfromCamper1973
    OptionfromLeonPunk
    Optionfromdenisskok
    Optionfrommotor59
    Optionfromtoreton

On the Internet you can find different versions of homemade Gameklip’ov. Here are some of them:
    Example 1
    Attached Image

Example 2
    Attached Image

Conclusion
Thus, we got a full-fledged portable game console. Take it with you wherever you go and stay with your favorite games! This thing will appeal to lovers of console games, as well as fans of games for Android. Also, not so long ago, the PSP emulator for Android appeared, which further expands the gaming world of this operating system.

I hope the article turned out to be interesting. If you have any comments or suggestions, please contact us. As information becomes available, I will supplement the article.
If you are going to use another gamepad that is not normally detected by the Android system, then you canthisprograms ongiveninstructions to program your gamepad.

There is no curator in the subject. If there is a user in the subject who wants to become a Curator and the correspondingAnnouncement: Requirements for Candidates, he can apply in the topicI want to be curator(after having studied the topic header and all materials for curators). Prior to the appointment of a curator for filling caps, please contactmoderatorssection through a buttonPictureunder the messages to which you want to add links.

Post has been editedferhad.necef - 04.06.20, 17:21
Reason for editing: Option of toreton

Rep: (14)
Joy of our region, CECHZC2R, came bundled with the PS3. Works with a bang.
But the Hong Kong CECHZC2H functions only when it wants to. Maybe it will immediately connect, it may refuse to start work :)
Attached Image

For lack of dualshock 2, I can’t say anything about it.

Rep: (12)
I twisted it from aluminum wire, such a Gameklip, from the photo from the cap
Attached Image

Attached Image

Yes, I know that the smart is shifted slightly to the right, this is because I was guided by a picture from the cap, and there apparently was a longer smart one, but I didn’t want to redo it, and it’s quite convenient.

Post has been editedsavagemessiahzine.comNEO - 09.06.13, 12:06

Rep: (14)
By the way, it's time to update the 10 point caps, the Chinese on aliexpress offer a clip for just $ 9. Although in my opinion for a squig from plastic with a strip of scotch and it is expensive.

Rep: (100)
joinerlex,
Better to do it yourself.
I already have a brilliant idea of ​​fasteners using the keyboard for my mini pro :)

Here is such a "portability" :-)
Attached Image

Rep: (4)
Dudes skinte where did you get the djosti eBay and aliexpress links guarantor ++++

Rep: (6)
If there is someone from Ukraine I want to offer to make a collective order, a friend thought that the delivery of 1 device would cost about $ 23 plus the cost of the device, which is more expensive than the mount itself, if you order a few, you can save
I also want to ask if someone sells this thing, I would have bought it.
I tried to do something similar myself, it comes out conveniently but dumbly and in the subway, for example, it is a little more embarrassing to get such shnyaga :-)

Rep: (6)
I bought a joystick here
The seller is normal, I have a Newman N2 phone, I was able to connect a joystick with dances and a tambourine through the USB / BT program I had to buy on the market, the one that does not plow from 4pd (or rather plows only 5 minutes). I'll post the video later on how it works (there is a video to upload to YouTube)

baster_kiev
And on aliexpress do not want to order?

Rep: (13)
a-jey-silver,
Can I have more photos of your mount? : happy: Or did you order?

Post has been editedvine555 - 25.07.13, 19:34

vine555,
Yes, I ordered. Still can not do it yourself

Rep: (15)
No news for MTK owners without a host?

Rep: (0)
tell me, after reconfiguring joey to poppy phone address, how to reconfigure joey back to Sonya?

Post has been editedwinston90 - 30.07.13, 21:55

Rep: (15)
Winston90 @ 07/30/2013, 10:50 PM*
tell me, after reconfiguring joey to poppy phone address, how to reconfigure joey back to Sonya?

perhaps it was worth writing down MAC Sonya ...

winston90,
Quote from the Sixaxis Controller theme:
"If you want to connect the joystick and then reconnect to the console, it will be enough to connect it with a cord to the PS3 and turn on the console first and then the gamepad, they will grab it themselves"

Rep: (28)
Oh yeah! Now there is the meaning of life of my old phone! Just super! Thank! )))

Rep: (324)
Those who use Joy to play on 2 devices with Android, wrote instructions for facilitating the connection of Joey via Bluetooth:
Р’В® Sixaxis Controller (Post # 23920996)

velya,
Check if there is a factory folder in the Nexus 7. I have n7 and n4. In n4 I do not find such a folder, there is no n7. At one time, I changed the BT address on Lenovo K860, because found the same file. I did not find bt_addr on n4 and n7 (

Rep: (324)
a-jey-silver, Yes, I did not find the Nexus 7. Moreover, I have not found such a file anywhere. Dug the whole system - nowhere is the Bluetooth MAC address indicated. Stock firmware. For the sake of interest, we looked at a colleague at SGS2 (Cyan is) - there is a folder along the path I have indicated. Apparently - this folder is only in custom firmware. In particular - on Cyanogenmod. Now add to the post.

Post has been editedvelya - 01.08.13, 11:48

Rep: (0)
But tell me how to charge the joy without having the console itself?

Full version    

Help     rules

Time is now: 29/07/20 01:00