AMD

Intel

Comparative testing in games

Interesting:

A huge number of reviews can be found.here. Instruction
Topics on the choice of components
Past survey
Attached Image

There is no curator in the subject. For questions about filling the caps, please contact the section moderators via the buttonPictureunder the messages to which you want to add links.

Post has been editedninja88 - 07.05.20, 00:40
Reason for editing: updated poll

Rep: (2730)
Top Intel Z68 Chipset
Attached Image

Intel Sandy Bridge processors - all the secrets
Overview of the Core i5-2500, Core i5-2400 and Core i5-2300 processors
Overclocking Core i7 2600K: performance matches performance
DDR3 SDRAM for Sandy Bridge: which memory is better?

Post has been editedShoore - 24.06.13, 13:23

Rep: (518)
According to information from nix.ru (link to news)

At the end of April, a new generation of processors was announced: Ivy Bridge

Intel finally announced the Intel Core family of third-generation processor, codenamed "Ivy Bridge", which accounts for this year will have a big part of the proposal of the CPU of the client class segment. These chips are described as the world's first microprocessors manufactured on 22-nanometer technology standards. This significant degree of miniaturization of process technology was made possible by 3D Transistor technology, contributing to the realization of design transistors with effective use of die area, which allows for a greater density of transistors and improve the overall performance of the chip.
Ivy Bridge processors are based on a single chip design, which serves as the basis for the creation of different models of the client-class processors, planned for release in May and June, as well as enterprise-class models within Xeon line, the output of which is expected to close by the end of June. Production of different CPU models involves the manipulation of the chip elements: cores with support for the x86 architecture, cache, integrated graphics and, of course, the clock frequency. Intel Core third generation processors are expected to allow for a better performance in terms of one cycle and higher efficiency. BBC quoted an official representative of Intel Kirk Skaugen (Kirk Skaugen): В«It is the world's first chip with 22-nm technology, and we can provide about 20% more performance, spending an average of 20% less energy."
In addition to the new production technology, mention should be improved in comparison with the previous generation Sandy Bridge design core, involving the use of four x86-compatible cores with support for 64-bit computing and advanced instruction set, including AVX-code and a subset of the AES-NI instructions, as well as Intel Turbo Boost technology automatically increases under certain conditions, the core operating frequency and optimizes power consumption of the chip. Use the integrated video core of the new generation with support for API DirectX 11, which allows due to improved QuickSync Video technology to increase productivity in a well parallelized tasks, including video encoding and enables the wireless connection of the monitor or TV via Intel Wireless Display technology (WiDi).
Each of the four processor cores is equipped with an individual cache memory capacity of the second level 256 KB cache and a common third level of 8 MB, the size of the processor cache varies according to the specific model. The chip contains a fully integrated functional elements of the chip northern motherboard bridge: 2-channel memory controller DDR3 and a controller PCI-Express 3.0 tires with 16 lines (for connecting a video card) with modes 16x work, 8x / 8x, and 8x / 4x / 4x ( depending on the chipset). The processor communicates with the chipset via DMI bus with a bandwidth of 20 Gb / s. Provided initial support for chipsets Intel 7-Series, codenamed Panther Point, offering new opportunities, at the same time work with chipsets 6th Series Cougar Point is also possible when used ME8L firmware.
23 the release of at least 13 families of quad-core Core i5 and Core i7, while the dual-core waiting for their turn, which comes "later this spring." Presented yesterday CPU of Core i7 line of desktop include "royal" model in this series - Intel Core i7-3770K cost about $ 330 with a frequency of 3.5 GHz, which can automatically go up to 3.9 GHz. This model contains unlocked almost all the elements of the Ivy Bridge core, including the base frequency multiplier (base clock multiplier), which creates favorable conditions for the acceleration. The range of Intel there are more affordable models for acceleration - for example, Intel Core i5-3570 cost about $ 230 with a frequency of 3.4 GHz (3.8 GHz in Turbo Boost mode), and L3 cache of 6 MB. Among other presented models - Intel Core i5-3550, Intel Core i5-3470 and Intel Core i5-3330. In line leaders Notebook - Intel Core i7-3615QM, Intel i7-3612QM, Intel i7-3610QM and others. Intel Core third-generation processors will be gradually enter the retail channel of distribution in the territory of all the target regions.
Intel comment on the situation with the arrival on the market of the new generation of processors, "Systems based on 4-core Intel Core third generation of processors will be available from the beginning this month from leading system manufacturers. Boxed processors will also be available from this month on the Internet, from retailers and reseller distribution channel. Additional versions Ivy Bridge processors for servers, as well as "smart" computer systems used in the retail, health care and other areas, for ultrabooks and laptops and many other devices will appear in this year. "

about Ivy
Attached Image

Intel's seventh series of chipsets for the LGA1155 platform
Intel Core i7-3770K: maximum detail

Post has been editedShoore - 24.06.13, 13:21

Attached Image

Prelude: Familiarity with the micro-architecture
Review Core i7-4770K Haswell
With the right to hope: an overview of the processor Core i7-4770K

Meet the new micro-architecture Haswell and the new platform
According to the materialsixbt.com:
Core advantage over the first generation, which is about like to mention in advertising, impressive but easy to see that most of it was achieved at the stage of introduction of the second generation, ie. E. LGA1155 platform. Core i7-2700K outperforms i7-870 by 22%, but the i7-4770K superiority over the same i7-2700K - is only 15%. However, after the left 2700K 3770K, new items an edge over which - only about 8%, ie, the reasons for the switch from LGA1155 to LGA1150 not... Is it just based on the new software, which involves the possibility of new processors more fully (including, and through the use of the new teams), but it is unlikely the pace of its expansion in the market will be too fast.
What's new: Pros and Cons
Reworked connection of monitors to the integrated graphics core in the processor. Now the CPU itself is responsible for the digital interfaces of the Display Port, HDMI and DVI, and only support for analog VGA connections remains in the chipset. This solution significantly relieved the graphics FDI bus between the processor and the system logic set and allowed the Lynx Point platform to simultaneously support three digital monitors operating with 4K resolutions.

The processors of the previous generation required from the motherboard feed six different voltages, intravascular their different components: computing cores, cache memory, and the system agent schedule. Haswell is on a different diet care for all of its units incurs. It requires the motherboard forming only two voltages: the base input (standard value is - 1,8 V) and individual voltages required to power the memory. All other measurement of voltages and interactive management inside the chip is now taking place without the participation of the motherboard.
This integration not only allows the processor to better control the situation with dynamic power and energy saving, but also simplifies the design of LGA1150-motherboards, which are exempt from the additional power circuits. In the end, should win everything. Motherboard manufacturers will be able to facilitate the design of their products. Processors will be more efficient use of electricity. And users will have a single, reliable, stable and accurate system to manage stress, which does not depend on the specific implementation. Intel promises a very high accuracy built converter: due to various physical causes voltage fluctuation should not exceed millivolt units. But most importantly, flexibility, and manageability of the system does not deteriorate: the usual enthusiasts full access to the parameters of the built-in processor power converter will be saved.

With a simple i7-4770K resets its frequency to 800 MHz, which is twice lower than the previous generation processors were able to.

From the viewpoint enthusiasts Haswell desktop is not the happy match. We tested the older desktop i7-4770K, and made a number of bitter conclusions. Firstly, Core i7-4770K flagship faster processor Ivy Bridge only slightly. Microarchitectural improvements provide performance gains only in the region of 5-7 per cent, and the clock frequency increase has not happened at all. Secondly, Core i7-4770K was clearly hotter processor than previous microarchitecture carriers. Despite the fact that from Haswell can make energy-efficient processors with impressively low heat, bring its performance in line with the requirements of the desktop environment led to a marked deterioration in the parameter "performance per watt." Because of this, it was formed "in the ThirdВ»: Core i7-4770K without using extreme cooling methods accelerates worse overclocking processors of previous generations. On the example of visited our lab CPU instance it can be concluded that even with the productive air coolers these processors can be attributed to overheating already when the frequencies around 4.4-4.5 GHz. And fourthly: Haswell processors require the new LGA1150 platform that any special advantages not released, but only offers a larger number of ports USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb / s. But while this platform is as crude and expects to release new stepping chipset as it has not corrected the problems with the functioning of USB 3.0-controller.

Post has been editedShoore - 15.06.13, 23:16

Rep: (3288)
Review and testing of processor Intel Core i7-5960X generation Haswell-E
Overview and testing of the processor Intel Core i7-5960X - the flagship of the Extreme Edition series on the Socket LGA2011-3 platform
Detailed overview of the entire line + game tests (eng)

Post has been editedWSonic - 09.09.14, 00:00

Details on the Broadwell microarchitecture in the Core M processor

Rep: (0)
Which of the most modern i7 920 can be compared with?

* Slimbobotan
With the most modern it can not be compared, but approximately betweeni3andi5

Is the I7-4770k installed on the Asrock Z77Extreme4?

Zarubar @ 10/11/2014, 08:31*
I7-4770k
The LGA 1150 (Socket H3) is designed as a replacement for the LGA 1155 (Socket H2). Used with Intel H81, B85, Q85, Q87, H87, Z87, H97, Z97 chipsets
Attached Image

Sockets are incompatible.

Post has been editedShoore - 11.10.14, 13:20

Intel Skylake-S
And again change the socket \ chipset: (

Error in the implementation of TSX-instructions affects server chips Intel Xeon E5 v3

Intel Broadwell Architecture and Core M Processors Overview

Rep: (518)
I heard in several sources that the dual RAM controller will be implemented in the new processors: DDR3 and DDR4. That is, it will eat both that and other RAM. So far, DDR4 only support Ivy Bridge-E.
Actually: they waited for the arrival of a new operative.

Hello.
He bent 2 legs on the motherboard, put the percent in place, thought to give a ride, the computer began to overload. It seems to have arched like they were with a knife, now everything is working. I wonder if this could somehow affect the work of the company in the future? And in general, how do you know for what exactly those legs that I bent answer? In nete, I did not find a socket scheme anywhere.

I wonder if this could somehow affect the work of the company in the future?

If the contact disappears, and the legs do not break off - then nothing.

In nete, I did not find a socket scheme anywhere.

Look for datashit on any 1150 processor.

Rep: (55)
He bent 2 legs on the motherboard, put the percent in place. thought a ride

This is definitely "not a ride"
I wonder if this could somehow affect the work of the company in the future?

If you carefully bent back and the computer is working normally, then everything worked out, it will not be reflected at work, but it’s better not to bend the legs, they are now quite flimsy.
* WSonic,
Hmm, you were right, there are a lot of such cases (the socket legs are bent).

Post has been editedFrigater - 21.02.15, 16:58

INTEL & AMD processors
[attachment = "10890502: amdvsintel1.jpg"]

Attention!

What you need to know to choose a processor
  • Motherboard model, revision, BIOS version
  • Model cooler (if any)
  • Tasks for which you need a processor
  • Budget for purchase, shop, city

Reviews, articles, links
Topics on the choice of components

Post has been editedWSonic - 30.11.17, 13:46

WSonic @ 02.21.2015, 17:03*
This is definitely "not a ride"

Just read somewhere that there are backup contacts.
Frigater @ 02.21.2015, 16:53*
but better not to bend the legs, they are now quite flimsy

Not the right word, the paste got a bit on the edge of the socket, I wanted to erase it and touched it with my finger against the pile) At the same time, the stone had to be left in place, and I took off for some reason: '(

Just read somewhere that there are backup contacts.

Not in your case, since the PC stopped working from this.

Full version    

Help     rules

Time is now: 03/10/20, 05:44