"Oktodon" - speed keyboard for smartphones | Discussion with the author of the project

Rep: (176)
Now stumbled upon just such news.Copypast with 24gadget.ru

Ekaterinburg company "Oktodon" has developed an unusual accessory for smartphones and tablets based on Android operating system. Established keyboard lets you use for text input all 10 fingers simultaneously, and it can help to achieve the typing speed of up to 220 characters per minute. It is not clear that it is thought by the users themselves, and if any of them are people with so nimble fingers. The accessory is in the form of a cover that fits over the mobile device. Way to enter text with the help of non-standard and have to get used to it: Case Keyboard moved apart and opens onto the back side of the panel with eight four-way joystick, which are arranged in two rows. To write something, you need to control the joystick, and on screen at this time will display the symbols table of correspondence joysticks positions. The creators of the miracle-keyboard did not forget about the big toes: joysticks for them up front. They allow you to control the cursor and to erase the text. While it designed a test sample of this accessory for Samsung Galaxy S. The company "Oktodon" patented his invention and is now looking for investors.

Attached Image

Now found their site -http://octodon.ru/history/
There are pictures of the first prototype. An interesting development, but for some reason it seems to me that it will be bent. In addition: single prototypes, a short 3D animation and the required amount to run at 1.5 million bucks - nothing else.
Yes, and the concept itself is lame. About the convenience and speed will not say anything, then it is necessary to try. But the design, when I saw the opposite direction, there will be persistent association with the Soviet combination lock on the access door. It is proposed to install it instead of the standard battery cover that is on the move do not you take off, or need to carry home cover. The thickness, it seemed to me, increases by almost a centimeter - a bit too much. Well, in general, I think it all should look futuristic or something.

Here is another movie found. There is a story about this clave from some forum. -http://it-eburg.kyku.org/videos/oktodon-alekseya-lysenko

Post has been editedgrawer - 20.04.12, 02:47

Rep: (938)
grawer,
IMHO, fresh, original, but not functional. This sucks.

Rep: (156)
grawer,
If you remove these blinds, which even in the photo leave a feeling that they are crookedly seized, but to add a simple lock switch, even the thickness will not be so nightmarish. Well, fans of sms correspondence is complete, there is even a competition))

aqew,
Details are cut from two cans and then inserted into each other. According to my feelings, the construction is gentle, but not at all flimsy.

Posted 04/20/2012, 15:05:

golden_dragon
Fine!
I'm thinking maybe talk to him? Ask when to wait for these "code coffins" on their devices. Maybe even give a try, ponibirat. : D

And about Claudia - IMHO, it’s better to touch the touchpad in the whole ass (in the sense of the apparatus ass, not mine).

Marvi,
There was also such a thought, but you can combine this idea and the sensor, like, pointing your finger at a physical button and a hint pops up on the screen, and pressing this button dials it. Рѕ.Рћ

Rep: (156)
Marvi,
grawer,
Variations with a bunch of clavus, mini clavus before the era of the PDA was released then simply Erikson without Sony so there are laser clavs. In this project, the idea itself is interesting and with the revision quite a good gadget will come out, you would remove the kind of soft plastic))
If the sensor is done then it will print the figs, so the fingers specifically define the button
Garelka is an interesting option for hiking, but painfully thin metal, the banks will burn at a time from here and the question is how long it will live.

Post has been editedaqew - 20.04.12, 17:15

Rep: (7)
[/ quote]
grawer @ 04.20.2012, 18:05*
Fine!
I'm thinking maybe talk to him? Ask when to wait for these "code coffins" on their devices. Maybe even give a try, ponibirat. : D

And let's
I am for it. About the view of the prototype - well, enough already on the corn to tread, I know everything. This prototype is already a year old. Now everything is much more fun. Made for a 7 "tablet case, in the midst of work on the phone, which is not ashamed to show. The view will be futuristic, the dimensions are much smaller. In general, there will be interesting solutions, the theme is alive.
If anyone in Yekaterinburg - and you can ponabit)

kotoezh,
I suppose you are the inventor?

grawer @ 04.21.2012, 02:03*
I suppose you are the inventor?

Yes it is

kotoezh,
Welcome to our forum and our topic. Very at the address came!
Can I take pictures of the latest development?
Or is it a secret?

kotoezh,
Join theMarvi, , and also welcome to our forum! For the "corn" do not be angry. ;)

As you noticed, we are interested in your development.
How did the idea come about?
How did the company name and product appear?
What difficulties were in the manufacture of the first prototype?
As far as I understand, studies have been conducted, have you done them yourself or used someone else's work?
Do you have a team, if not, who helps you?
How do you evaluate the prospects of this keyboard? Can it press classic keyboards?
In the article where I read about Octodon, are the investments needed to launch the keyboard into mass production, did the grand help you, or is it enough only to continue the development?

How did you find out about our discussion, monitor the mention of Octodon on the Internet, or did someone of your friends see and tell about us?

kotoezh @ 04/21/2012, 01:12*
If anyone in Yekaterinburg - and you can ponabit)

I live in Chelyabinsk, I would gladly drive to you, look and pick, but now I have a lot of work and not enough time and free money. :(
Do you happen to be in Chelyabinsk on business?

grawer,
Thank! Yes, I do not be angry, everything happened naturally - typical rake startups, greedily to funding. It seems - now here is money, is now self-employed professionals, who know "how to" tell them what you want and they will do everything in the mind. That is, all at once - and that the phone attached, and to move apart, and so convenient, and so thin) In the end, everything turned out, but it's a little bit - like and is connected, but not very reliable, and is expanded - but only if carefully and pull without distortions stuff - you can, but uncomfortable. About the thickness of say anything) And all because in the early stages can not hope that someone will realize your idea and your priorities better than you know yourself.

But I started something from the middle. If at first, the story will look like this:
Somewhere in the year 2008–2009, I, twirling the Asus A600 PDA, thought that the quarters did not provide anything for handheld devices except the familiar arrangement of buttons. The speed of dialing on a smaller version can never be compared with a full-sized clavature, because only two fingers are typed.
Next - standard thinking - you need to attract 10 fingers. Eight when held on the back side - it means that the input elements must be on the back side. Well, hints, of course - on the contrary on the screen. This is the basic concept of backpipe, as it turned out later, when I began to search through patents. But much later.
Then the number 1 plug appears - either a lot of buttons on the back side (there are such developments), or one multifunctional element for each finger. It was allowed in the direction of the second option - because psychological discomfort from not seeing the fingers is much less, because they do not lose contact with their button, and they need less space on the back side.

I soon found that the keyboard should be at the chord, and direct input - one click = one character, then there must be a sufficient number of influences. Thumbs up I left for gaps bekspeysov, punctuation marks, and switching input modes, and the letters - for rear joysticks. Since the Russian alphabet is one of the richest, closest minimum - 32 characters (letters discrimination g). I decided to distribute evenly between the toes, as too many influences to produce a hard finger. 4 - at the time.

Fork number 2 - binding to the habit of fingers to answer for a few characters in QWERTY or a new layout. It resolved automatically in the direction of the new adapted layout. After all, concepts that come from a blind ten-finger print imply 6 directions each for the index fingers, and for the rest, three directions each. But since I have already determined that everyone has 4 directions, that means there is no road to qwerty. And rightly so. The task of maximum speed will be solved more efficiently if the hands are not bound by restrictions.

Next - I broke the Ps / 2 keyboard, bought telephone joysticks, screwed it onto the board, glued the buttons as the vertices of the joysticks - I realized that in principle it can work. It is necessary to think it is pockery and compactness.
These thoughts resulted in the first USB plywood prototype, which is already visible in the pictures on the site and in the article. Actually, the real story begins with him. But about this - in the next post, in the evening I will probably sit down, write and answer questions that I have not answered.

To be continued

kotoezh,
Thank you so much for the informative story! +1
Here it is, the work of design ideas!
Very clearly.
And you know how to express, good Russian, which is rare in our times.
Waiting for the continuation.

PySy. In fact, in our forum, an appeal was made to "you."
Move on?

kotoezh,
We are waiting for the continuation of the story.

Marvi,
About the Russian language is it in my garden stone?

grawer @ 04.21.2012, 12:21*
About the Russian language is it in my garden stone?

Well, honestly, not without that ...;)
But from you I am ready to endure it - you can see thoughts in the text.
Unlike any ololo shkoloty.
(I'm not talking about those present in this topic, sane people go here)

Post has been editedMarvi - 21.04.12, 11:28

Marvi,
Marvi @ 04.21.2012, 14:27*
Well, honestly, not without that ...

I have no inclination for languages, my wife and me teasing me all the time. When you need to write an important letter or something else, where you can not mow, I ask you to read and edit it. : D

Rep: (160)
grawer @ 04.21.2012, 13:03*
I have no inclination for languages

Creative person..;)

grawer,
It is right. Husband and wife - one .... team.

I generally did not have a classical education. Like Gorky, I have my own universities. : D

Full version    

Help     rules

Time is now: 12/07/20, 23:17