RAMdisk, a virtual partition in the computer’s RAM | Programs, settings, discussion, pros and cons.
We collect statistics
Did you know about the possibility of creating a RAM disk earlier?
Yes [ 1134 ] ** [74,26%]
Not [ 249 ] ** [16,31%]
The term is heard, but did not understand the principle of technology. [ 143 ] ** [9,36%]
How much RAM is allocated for your RAM disk?
I do not use a RAM disk [ 484 ] ** [31,7%]
up to 1GB [ 298 ] ** [19,52%]
up to 4GB [ 437 ] ** [28,62%]
more than 4GB [ 184 ] ** [12,05%]
more than 10GB [ 121 ] ** [7,92%]
Total votes: 1527

Rep: (2729)
Attached Image

Ramdisk is a technology for using RAM as a disk for temporary data storage.

The driver of the program emulates in the system a virtual disk (partition) physically stored in RAM.
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM_drive

Among the many similar products I want to highlightQsoft RAMDisk "Enterprise". The Russian version is free, the program has sufficient functionality and stability.Last available. Tested on Windows 7, 8, 10
AMD Radeon RAMDisk | Primo ramdisk | Imdisk

I suggest here to share experiences on the use of RAM disks, the intricacies of tuning, examples of use, etc.

Post has been editedvelikashkin - 29.03.18, 12:00
Reason for editing: ImDisk

Rep: (-8)
Shoore @ 03/18/2012, 11:11 PM*
Did a ramdisk on 3GB - gives a huge increase in speed

As far as I understand this frame is only for temporary files incl. forswap file etc. I’ll make a 6 gig swap file on the frames and what will it give me a noticeable increase? It will be erased every time the system starts up. CUDA seems to work fine on this mother too, but the question is whether the program supports kudu. Adobe supports ...

funky88 , just transfer the swap there does not make any sense. But the pace, browser profiles, etc. - that’s it.
And it is not erased, but merged into an image on a disk, then it is read at startup.
Attached Image

Post has been editedShoore - 19.03.12, 01:02

I just don’t think that when working in Adobe Premiere, productivity will increase much thanks to the frame disk ...

funky88 , in all applications actively working with the disk, productivity increases by an order of magnitude. As with this situation in the Premiere is not in the know. You can monitor disk activity.

By the way, checking is a matter of five minutes. In the program header, a reboot is not required. Just bring something to RAM where a frequent recording is made, and in its place make a symbolic (?) Link.
cmd>mklink / j "old_folder_location" "new_folder_location" >enter

Just do not forget to delete the folder when you delete the ramdisk. It’s convenient to monitor disk activityby this

Post has been editedShoore - 25.03.12, 12:42

Well, look, in order to use it, I need to transfer the video file there and from there throw it into the project in the premiere correctly? Then the work with the video will go from the disk frames. The truth is, the size of the video is much larger than 6 GB ..

Funky88 @ 03/19/2012, 03:15*
the size of the video is correct much more than 6 GB

Moreover, the project itself in the process of work may be larger than the file being processed. Alas, for working with such volumes only SSD

Rep: (242)
I am using SuperSpeed ​​RamDisk Plus 11.5.390.x86
The size is set to 755 MB. Transferred to him:
Cache IE9
Mozilla (Portable) fully
Skype (Portable) fully
Second Skype with a different profile (Portable) completely
uTorrent 2.2 (Portable) fully
Windows Logs
Application
Security
Setup
System
Another 305 MB is free.
The only inconvenience is that the tablet turns off for a long time in my opinion, turns on a little slower.
The tablet costs 4 GB of OP, assemblyWINDOWS 7 Ultimate x86 for MSI WindPad 110W (prepared by xalex & zhuk.m)

Post has been editedzhuk.m - 19.03.12, 21:51

Zhuk.m @ 03/19/2012, 10:42 PM*
turns off for a long time, turns on a little slower

Apparently, the recording drive is very slow.
I have both comparable, but the time itself has increased significantly.

Posted on 03/19/2012, 9:50 PM:

Zhuk.m @ 03/19/2012, 10:42 PM*
Windows Logs
Application
Security
Setup
System

By the way, relatively little is written there. Much more in% user% AppData and ProgramData

Posted on 03/19/2012, 9:54 PM:

And the programs themselves do not make sense there to keep completely, they constantly go to the Profiles. Utorret is generally ported by transferring files from C: \ Users \ user \ AppData \ Roaming \ uTorrent to the executable folder.

SSDReady Examples1 2 3(W8CP)

Post has been editedShoore - 19.03.12, 22:10

Rep: (300)
an interesting topic, used to hear out of the corner of my ear, but somehow did not delve into.
I read an article about the settings of Qsoft RAMDisk "Enterprise", honestly, I did not understand.
Googling a little, hesitated, but should I bother with this? More precisely, is it worth the game? 7x64 system on SSD (browser temp, cash transferred to HHD, swapping disabled), operatives 8.
and if it’s worth, what should be placed there besides browser caches?

404 not found try, there’s nothing complicated. Device Manager, add a new one, then specify a folder by item
Attached Image
Voila. You do not even need to reboot. Everything, you can transfer anything you like to the volume that appears.
It definitely makes sense to transfer browser profiles, and it works faster, and they write several GB per session (day).
I still moved the pace from the profile there, unpacking everything instantly. But there is one “but” - there may not be enough space for something voluminous.
I have RAM 4GB, have not yet encountered such problems. The most voluminous that I checked
Attached Image

And furtherhere.

404 not found @ 03/20/2012, 00:35*
(browser temp, cash transferred to HHD, swapping disabled)

This is the loss of all the major benefits of an SSD. Meaning then to use it? According to statistics, not a single SSD has failed yet due to wear and tear.
Here is an interesting resourceSSD Write Endurance 25nm Vs 34nm

Post has been editedShoore - 20.03.12, 00:06

Shoore,
I put it right away, the sliders put me in embarrassment ...

My
Attached Image

And do not forget to configure the preservation of the image, otherwise everything that is there will be lost.
Well, or reserve the info for the duration of the experiments.

Yes, and turn on the swap. 8GB is not the amount that would be possible without it. There are many precedents.

Post has been editedShoore - 22.03.12, 00:01
Reason for editing: spoiler

for 8 gigs ok?
Attached Image

Post has been edited404 not found - 20.03.12, 12:44

404 not found @ 03/20/2012, 01:32*
for 8 gigs ok?

Task dependentAttached ImageIf you do not put the system pace there, one and a half GB is enough.
Attached Image

It's okay for now.

Post has been editedShoore - 20.03.12, 00:42

Once again, I apologize for importunity. but the impression that the manual was written by the Tajiks, and translated by the Chinese.
Here on the screen:
1. Is this place reserved for operative?
2. this is the size that can be used under a RAM disk, the rest under a file system
so i get it?
and what is 3?
thank

Attached images
Attached Image

404 not found @ 03/20/2012, 1:58 p.m.*
and what is 3?

See my screen above with Resource Monitor. This is some kind of equipment (often a video card) that reserves a portion of the RAM.

Tajiks wrote, and Chinese translated

: D there by reference, both the writer and the translator are not encrypted. Especially a translator.

Shoore @ 03/19/2012, 02:11*
It’s convenient to monitor disk activity with this.

didn't fit

generally settled on a gig ramdisk. transferred the profile, исаhelis’s cache, the user's pace (I’m afraid I won’t fit in if I have to unpack something global, or which giants will release some small software), uTorrent Portable put it there. That's it, we'll see. Now MES is most active, but I'm afraid I will not do anything with it.
Attached Image

ps I turned on the swap, but did only 2 gigs, enough for her.

Post has been edited404 not found - 20.03.12, 19:00

404 not found @ 03/20/2012, 19:39*
MES is most active

Yes, he has an activity of half a gig per day. Not scary. The point is not so much to get rid of activity as to increase speed.
UTorrent generally removed on the HDD, there it is the place.
My 500MB-4GB swap has not yet gone beyond 500.
Remove the file, you can link. But not necessary. Everyone has Google.

Post has been editedShoore - 20.03.12, 19:09

Rep: (101)
I understand this is a swap file in RAM space? If it makes sense to put this "Ram disk" with 6GB of RAM? If you take into account that on the PC I just surf the Internet, listen to music and movies, and sometimes play games like bf3 and mass effect. Will I win performance?
Knowledgeable people write down the pros and cons, I would be very grateful)

Odysseus
no, it’s not a swap file, it’s like a “virtual” disk (sorry for the term composed on the fly), the read and write speed of which is several times faster than from the hard disk, and is equal to the speed of your RAM.
The point is precisely in the browser, the speed of unpacking archives, installing games (well, you can’t get too fast with this on 6-8 gigs). What I did, see above. Bite 1-1.5 gig from the operative is okay (do you often have it filled up to 80%?)
Something like this

Post has been edited404 not found - 20.03.12, 19:57

Full version    

Help     rules

Time is now: 09/03/20, 1:41