Help with choosing a laptop | Selection of laptops for specific requirements

Rep: (596)
Choice-comparison and discussion of laptops of various brands, as well as their capabilities and disadvantages
Your notes | Gaming laptops | Overclocking CPU and notebook GPU | Ambulance laptop owners

Attached Image

Some people think that a cheap laptop is a bad and not reliable laptop, and an expensive laptop is a good and good thing. And accordingly: the more expensive the laptop, the better it is. In fact, it is not. “Bad” can be an expensive device. Much depends on the manufacturer. And within the framework of one manufacturer, only its functionality, prestige, power will depend on the cost of the machine.

When choosing a laptop, you need to understand for what purpose you need it.

Sample request template for assistance in choosing a laptop
1. Maximum price of a laptop: (for example, 20 000 rubles)
2. City, which will be made buying a laptop (for example, Moscow / St. Petersburg / Samara / Kiev)
3 Screen Size in inches: 15.4 ", 10.1", 13.1 "...
3.1. Whether embedded devices need: DVD / BR, bluetooth, SIM (GSM-modem) and so forth.
3.2. Is there a preference for the type of screen: (gloss or matte)
4. What is important in the first place: performance, weight, portability, long battery life and so on.
5. Does the laptop will be used for games. If yes, what: Solitaire or GTA and tanks ...
6. What additional ports are needed: eSata, USB-C and so on.
7. Other preferences (for example, only pink)

F.A.Q.-Frequently Asked Questions
AT: What is a laptop?
ABOUT: Notebook (English notebook - notebook, notepad PC) - a portable personal computer, in the case of which typical components of a PC are combined, including a display, keyboard and pointing device (usually a touch panel or touchpad), a handheld computer, and rechargeable batteries. Laptops are small in size and weight, the battery life of laptops varies from 1 to 15 hours.
AT: Can I charge my laptop in the car?
ABOUT: Of course you can! car cigarette lighter power is enough to supply almost any, even the most voracious laptop. That's just not the battery voltage is 210-240V in the outlet and 10-19V (depending on model). To fix this, use the standard motor inverter "12V DC - 220V AC". With it will be a normal socket, you can use to charge the laptop battery in your car. And the network unit receives, from the laptop 100 to 240 and "puts out" destructive voltage spikes.
AT: What is "standby"?
ABOUT: Standby in a laptop is almost the same as shutdown. Only when switching to the standby mode, all open windows and programs will not be closed. When you "wake up" a laptop, you will start working from the place where you left off.
AT: How are Apple laptops (MacBooks) different?
ABOUT: First of all, a completely different operating system: not Windows, but Mac OS X. This entails differences in technical capabilities. Apple computers are most often used when working with multimedia applications, graphics, and design developments.
AT: What are PCMCIA and CardBus cards?
ABOUT: Expansion cards of the laptop, with their help, you can connect a TV tuner, card reader, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth modules.
AT: What is the S / PDIF output, why is it needed?
ABOUT: S / PDIF - English Sony / Philips Digital Interface Format is a standard for transmitting digital audio between various audio components. Allows several types of cable and types of jacks 3.5 mm jack (standard plug from headphones), and RCA jack, popularly referred to as "Tulip". Another type of S / PDIF is called "optical", or TOSLINK - a light guide is used for data transmission. The advantage of the S / PDIF optical type is excellent electrical noise immunity.
AT: What is a “glass matrix”?
ABOUT: Special matrices production technology - provides high brightness of liquid crystal displays, color saturation, more vivid and colorful image. Colors in laptops with the matrix appear fresh, juicier, because the matrix is ​​applied to the laptop special glossy finish instead of a conventional opaque. Visually reducing the distance between adjacent pixels, the coating thereby significantly increases the contrast and brightness of the image. A significant drawback of glossy matrices is that they seem to serve as a mirror for you and the objects around you (which is why such a matrix is ​​sometimes called the mirror). In addition, the laptop screen with a matrix much glare, and the more intense lighting in your room is, the worse the image seen on the laptop screen.
AT: What to look for in the design of the case?
ABOUT: Hole for ventilation. If the radiator hole is located at the bottom, then you need a hard surface for comfortable notebook operation, so that the legs of the laptop create a small distance from the surface, since by placing it on some soft surface, you close the cooling holes.
USB ports. It is desirable that the USB ports are not grouped in one place, but were scattered on the sides. Since when you connect one large USB device, such as a flash drive, you can block other ports.
AT: What is the use of a widescreen screen?
ABOUT: The widescreen display has an aspect ratio of 16: 9, rather than 4: 3, like a normal display. On a laptop with such a screen, it is more convenient to work on the Internet and with text documents, since the basic information is located in the center of the screen, and the side space can be used at your discretion. On the widescreen display is much more pleasant to watch a movie, since the black bars above and below disappear.
AT: How much RAM is enough for comfortable work?
ABOUT: 512 MB of RAM will be enough for comfortable work on the Internet, in Word and Excel, as well as for watching movies. Ideal volume - 2 GB and more, you can work with comfort in Windows Vista and Windows 7.
AT: How to quickly charge a laptop battery?
ABOUT: In order to charge the battery faster, you need to turn off the laptop and connect it via a mains adapter to a 220V outlet. The fact is that when the laptop is turned on, the energy that comes from the mains adapter is consumed by the operation of the laptop systems and its battery charge. But when the laptop is turned off, all the energy goes to the battery, so its charge is faster than when the laptop is turned on.
AT: I have a very hot laptop, is this some kind of malfunction?
ABOUT: It all depends on how long ago began to warm up your laptop. If you bought it recently and since the first day it is heated to about the same, you can not worry about. The heating of the bottom surface of the notebook in the process - a common phenomenon for lowering can use a special stand-fan temperature. But if the laptop has become warm when it was some time after the purchase, you should first clean it yourself from the dust with a special vacuum cleaner (perhaps a clogged air vents). If this does not help, contact the service center.

miscellanea

The topic is looking for a curator!

Post has been editedslava_ussr - 13.07.20, 09:25
Reason for editing: reissue

Rep: (44)
Macbook pro 2012 13 inch bu norms in 2k17?
Excellent condition (personally inspected), 306 recharge cycles. On windows at laptops iron is similar, but at the same time they cost as much. And if you consider that most laptops up to 35k have a disgusting screen and the build is no better, then this is the thing. What do you think?

Rep: (1)
1. Maximum price of a laptop: 15,000 p (including discounts, see below)
2. City: Ufa, but in fact it does not matter as I plan to order in aliexpress
3. Screen size in inches: 13.1 - 14
3.1. no drives, as light and thin as possible. pure workhorse for texts. 64gms ems is enough
3.2. Are there any preferences for the type of screen: small frames around the edges. (and maybe touch but honestly not sure if you need it)
4. What is important in the first place: mobility (long battery life) weight less than 1.5 kg less better.
5. Do you need games: no no no
5.1. If so, which ones: no
5.2. Do I need to switch between discrete and integrated graphics: no
6. What additional ports are needed: (for example, eSata) usb 3.0
7. What do you need Wi-Fi N,
8. Other preferences: a kind of macbook air 13 but no claims on power
9. case material: any

I myself found about 6 models from different manufacturers (China) but the choice is too great

Post has been editeddemadje - 09.04.17, 19:35

Rep: (0)
1. The maximum price of a laptop: 35-40000
2. City in which the purchase of a laptop will be made: Ufa
Is there a specific store in which the purchase will be made. not
3. Screen size in inches: 15.6
3.1. Are there preferences for the type of screen: no
4. What is important in the first place: performance
5. Do you need games: planned
I stopped at 2 options ACER EXTENSA EX2520G-52D8 and Acer TravelMate P259-MG-58SF, NX.VE2ER.013 but already got confused in them), there will be mostly games, movies, laptop takes 5 years for a long time, Intel prefers bark and nvidia)

1. The maximum price of a laptop: (for example 55 000 - 60 000 rubles)
2. The city in which the purchase of a laptop will be made: Tchaikovsky, Permsky Krai, CSN store
3. Screen size in inches: 15.6 1920x1080
3.2. Are there preferences for the type of screen: matte
5. Do I need games: need
5.1. If needed, which: demanding witcher 3, overwatch, counter-strike global offensive, factorio, Heroes of The Storm
5.2. Do I need to switch between discrete and integrated graphics: preferably
6. What additional ports are needed: no such
7. Wi-Fi
8. Other preferences: a good sound would be preferable in headphones (there are good headphones) sennheiser hd 448
I take in return for Hp pavilion dv6-6b53er bought in 2011 for 30k

Rep: (10)
* 77alefan77,
For such shishi in Permi canwhat-nbiduya here to take.The Witcher with overwatch pulls.

* fuzz4legal
The resolution is not 1920x1080, I would like to see a video card gtx 950 or 1050, percent i5 6200 or 7200. Now I thought maybe the store might be different.like thisonly if it is normal in quality.

Rep: (23)
Guys, advise that it is better to take, acer vx 5-591 or lenovo y520, if considering that I will take two identical versions and with the same IPS screens, only acer is difficult to find with such a screen.
Purpose: to make new items at a maximum of at least 30-60 and higher FPS, the price is 55-60 thousand. rubles
And is it worth buying from amazon.com in order to save? Not risky to order abroad?
In my city lenovo 66tys. rub. It is, and in the Amazon 55 thousand. rubles

Hello forum users.
As a woman with a tense relationship with technology I want to ask a question.
My terribly useless laptop Samsung, as expected, has died. I want to find a good powerful laptop, which would be not only to surf in the internet, but also to work in AutoCAD / 3dmakse and other prog to the machine is not hung. We need a long battery life (6 hours is desirable), good color, a powerful processor and everything else that is needed. It is also desirable to nout / ultrabuk weigh less than 2 kg, preferably less. Saw something similar at Lenovo, but I can not find the models, which somehow dug.
Advise something!
The price is up to 50-60k, igrulki are not needed, but I think that the work in the modeling program assumes the presence of similar characteristics as for the toys.

Rep: (156)
1. 30-40k
2. SPb
3. It doesn't matter
3.2 good quality matrix
4. Autonomy
5. Yes
5.1 xcom / xcom2, civilization 6, dota 2, varhamer
5.2 I would not give up
6. HDMi / WGA (although I think the collective farm already), type-c
7. Wi fi
8. I take for study, it is desirable that all the software you need goes

Hello!
What to choose:
Dell Vostro 5568 (i3 7100U / 4Gb / 1Tb / GT 940MX / 15.6 "/ HD / W10H64 / gold / WiFi / BT / Cam / 1366x768 (repaired, the reason for the repair was hanging, was the replacement of HDD) under warranty until the end of this year) - 23t .
or
Lenovo IdeaPad 310-15ISK, 15.6 ", Intel Core i3 6100U, 2.3 GHz, 4 GB, 500 GB, nVidia GeForce 920MX - 2048 MB, Windows 10, white [80sm00vmrk] New - 27t.
or what can you offer at the moment?
1. Maximum price of a laptop: 20 tons. - 27 tons. Rubles)
2. Serpukhov, Citylink.
3. Screen size in inches: from 15.6, razr. 1920x1080 never seen live on laptops)
3.2. Are there preferences for the type of screen: Most likely matte.
4. What is important in the first place: productivity and mobility.
5. Do I need games: yes, we need them, only lived longer)
P.S. Hmm 16t points in Aida 64 CPU Queen from Dell'a, the heat dissipation between the display / loop, warms up to the touch, gr. 30-33.
I take not for myself, for Tesha, for a long time 3-5 years of stability)

* 77alefan77,
* green robot
I advise Xiaomi Mi 13.3 either with Ali or on Yandex-Market, prices are different from stores.
Cheap and angry, the quality is good, easy, the screen norm 13.3 does not even believe that it is small, there are many reviews in YouTube.
Who decided with Ali, assign cashback)

1. The maximum price of a laptop is 20k rubles
2. I will buy in Ukraine
3. Screen size in inches 15.6
4. If I play games, then the integrated video card will be enough for me
5. Of course you need Wi-Fi
6. SSD drive desirable

Rep: (2)
1. To ~ 65k
2. Irkutsk, preferably DNS, M.Video or Eldorado, but not necessarily.
3. 15.6-17.3
3.1. Drive is not needed (cmon, 2017 in the yard)
3.2. Preferably matte, so that the sun does not glare.
4. Performance.
5. Looking for.
5.1. Casual (CS: GO, Overwatch) or something demanding on high.
5.2. I do not know what was meant here, but not necessary.
6. USB Type-C (optional)
7. Wi-Fi, BT, LAN
8. I take it as a gaming machine, so the GTX 965M / 970M / 1050 video card
P.S. So far, I think betweenLenovo Legion Y520 (1050, i5), MSI GS60 6QD Ghost (965M, i5)orMSI GS72 6QE Stealth Pro (970M, i5). (I would have long taken the GS72 Stealth Pro if it weren't for the cooling system)

1. Maximum price of a laptop: from 30k to 50k
2. The city in which the purchase of the laptop will be made: it does not matter, I do not buy now, just looking at it.
3. Screen size in inches: 15-17
3.2. Are there any preferences for the type of screen: matte and with good viewing angles. PPI is also higher, because you want to play in the tundra, and there you need to peer.
5. Do I need games: I am looking mainly for games.
5.1. If necessary, then what: On my laptop, I can't run The Witcher 2 without brakes. Grand Theft Auto V - on Win 7 it plays, but after half an hour the uterine coolers (regardless of the cleanliness of the cooling system)
5.2. Do I need to switch between discrete and integrated graphics: xs what it is and why it is needed. Most likely - some problems.

HP Pavilion 15-b161sr old laptop:
1. An significant conflict xs which is expressed in constant suspensions. And at 8.1 and at 7.
2. Screen - a piece of vomit. A bit tilted - color inversion. Not very bright, which is all muddy.
3. The processor - i5 3337u (something like this) is not intended for the game at all. As I manage, I can’t play games in 2015-2017. It warms up a lot, there is little performance. In GTA 5, the video card is loaded less than half and everything rests on the processor. It really slows down the whole laptop.
4.6GB of RAM - not enough.
5.Video card - GeForce GT 630M - 2gb is not fully disclosed due to the processor.
6. The power supply is inconvenient. If it were in the case and 90 degrees - it would be very convenient.
7. The cooling system - can not cope even with such a flawed processor.
8. Does the hard drive just lie in a niche .... zashkvar, is it a mobile computer or not? Should there be something that would save the hard from vibrations and impacts.
9. The body casing protrusion wiped the strip on the screen ... HP has some freaks.
10. Rounded corners make it impossible to change the screen to a larger one.

I am looking for something better than this piece .... but not so much as to exceed the data transfer rate of the hard drive (ssd is dying slowly, I don’t like it.)

Rep: (16)
Today I'm going to grope acer vx5 put pluses if you tell your impressions here

Post has been editedhuman028 - 16.09.17, 06:13
Reason for editing: Error

Rep: (2)
1. Maximum price of a laptop: up to 40 thousand rubles.
2. City in which the purchase of a laptop will be made: Ekaterinburg
5. Do I need games: need, NFS, Dota2, etc.
6. What additional ports are needed: ---
7. What does this need Wi-Fi, LAN, HDD 1000 + SSD from 128
8. Other preferences: FullHD

The laptop is needed for office work, as well as for working with video editors and Photoshop + games mentioned above.
Up to the present, Samsung 355V5C (AMD A10 2300Mhz / 6Gb DDR3 / HDD 750Gb / integrated AMD Radeon HD7660G video card) handled these tasks adequately.
But he is already 5 years old, sometimes fails ... you need to think about replacing.

At the moment, I've seen only such options, if there is even better price-quality in this budget, I will be glad to consider.
DELL Inspiron 3567, 15.6 ", Intel Core i3 6006U, 2 GHz, 4 GB, 1000 GB, AMD Radeon R5 M430 - 2048 MB, DVD-RW, Windows 10 = 28 690 rubles.
HP 15-bw540ur, 15.6 ", AMD A12 9720P, 2.7 GHz, 8 GB, 1000 GB, 128 GB SSD, AMD Radeon 530–2048 MB, Free DOS = 33,490 rubles.
ACER Aspire E5-575G-39CK, 15.6 ", Intel Core i3 6006U, 2 GHz, 8 GB, 1000 GB, 128 GB SSD, nVidia GeForce 940MX - 2048 MB, DVD-RW, Linux = 38 390 rubles.

1. Maximum price of a laptop: up to 50 thousand rubles.
2. The city in which the purchase of the laptop will be made: Moscow (or planet Earth, if there are super-duper options with delivery)
3. Screen size in inches: 14-15
3.2. Are there preferences for the type of screen: matte
4. What is important in the first place: 1) weight 2) performance
5. Do you need games: no
6. What additional ports are needed: ---
7. What is needed from SSD is desirable, well, or at least the possibility of its further installation
8. Other preferences: Numeric keypad, FullHD

It has long been out of the topic of modern notebooks.
There is an ancient HP dv6-3030 with i5, 8gb DDRII and 128gb SSD. In principle, it is completely satisfied with the performance (I would never have thought that a laptop bought 7 years ago for 32 thousand laptops (well, an upgrade to 10k 5 years ago) will still be able to fully satisfy my needs in computing power :)).

Not satisfied with the screen, weight, autonomy. Now there is a huge battery for 9 cells, but even with it a laptop works for a maximum of 3 hours, and in clear weather it is impossible to work outside due to glare and low screen brightness. Yes, and white spots on the matrix appeared ...

Main tasks: work outside the workplace with large tables and drawings.

In principle, the performance looks like a good new HP Pavilion 15
https: //market.yandex...50000&prepay-enabled=1

Mery_Ma @ 09/16/17, 20:41*
At the moment, I've seen only such options, if there is even better price-quality in this budget, I will be glad to consider.
DELL Inspiron 3567, 15.6 ", Intel Core i3 6006U, 2 GHz, 4 GB, 1000 GB, AMD Radeon R5 M430 - 2048 MB, DVD-RW, Windows 10 = 28 690 rubles.
HP 15-bw540ur, 15.6 ", AMD A12 9720P, 2.7 GHz, 8 GB, 1000 GB, 128 GB SSD, AMD Radeon 530–2048 MB, Free DOS = 33,490 rubles.
ACER Aspire E5-575G-39CK, 15.6 ", Intel Core i3 6006U, 2 GHz, 8 GB, 1000 GB, 128 GB SSD, nVidia GeForce 940MX - 2048 MB, DVD-RW, Linux = 38 390 rubles.

So. Intel processors with the letter U do not recommend if you need productivity. U - Low power consumption and, accordingly, performance.
If you see the letter Y on an Intel processor, then it’s better to run right away! This is a black hole of performance.

Rep: (56)
1. Max laptop price:40 thousand
2. City: Krasnodar, preferably Ulmart, Dns, etc.
5. Do I need games: need
5.1. If so, which ones:<medium (wot, ac4 bf, for example)
8. Other preferences:i3 / i5, nvidia, Desirable 1080p, working temperature, good matrix so that the eyes do not hurt in the dark.
What line of laptops to watch from: acer, asus, dell, dexp, hp, lenovo.
Tasks: study (office, visual studio, android studio, browser), games (but temperature is in priority! Both without games, and with games).

Post has been editedAleX_Leon - 29.09.17, 20:07

Rep: (56)
* M.E.S,
* heavyhawk here Temka idle without you;)

Full version    

Help     rules

Time is now: 17/07/20, 12:59