Help with choosing a laptop | Selection of laptops for specific requirements

Rep: (594)
Choice-comparison and discussion of laptops of various brands, as well as their capabilities and disadvantages
Your notes | Gaming laptops | Overclocking CPU and notebook GPU | Ambulance laptop owners

Attached Image

Some people think that a cheap laptop is a bad and not reliable laptop, and an expensive laptop is a good and good thing. And accordingly: the more expensive the laptop, the better it is. In fact, it is not. “Bad” can be an expensive device. Much depends on the manufacturer. And within the framework of one manufacturer, only its functionality, prestige, power will depend on the cost of the machine.

When choosing a laptop, you need to understand for what purpose you need it.

Sample request template for assistance in choosing a laptop
1. Maximum price of a laptop: (for example, 20 000 rubles)
2. City, which will be made buying a laptop (for example, Moscow / St. Petersburg / Samara / Kiev)
3 Screen Size in inches: 15.4 ", 10.1", 13.1 "...
3.1. Whether embedded devices need: DVD / BR, bluetooth, SIM (GSM-modem) and so forth.
3.2. Is there a preference for the type of screen: (gloss or matte)
4. What is important in the first place: performance, weight, portability, long battery life and so on.
5. Does the laptop will be used for games. If yes, what: Solitaire or GTA and tanks ...
6. What additional ports are needed: eSata, USB-C and so on.
7. Other preferences (for example, only pink)

F.A.Q.-Frequently Asked Questions
AT: What is a laptop?
ABOUT: Notebook (English notebook - notebook, notepad PC) - a portable personal computer, in the case of which typical components of a PC are combined, including a display, keyboard and pointing device (usually a touch panel or touchpad), a handheld computer, and rechargeable batteries. Laptops are small in size and weight, the battery life of laptops varies from 1 to 15 hours.
AT: Can I charge my laptop in the car?
ABOUT: Of course you can! car cigarette lighter power is enough to supply almost any, even the most voracious laptop. That's just not the battery voltage is 210-240V in the outlet and 10-19V (depending on model). To fix this, use the standard motor inverter "12V DC - 220V AC". With it will be a normal socket, you can use to charge the laptop battery in your car. And the network unit receives, from the laptop 100 to 240 and "puts out" destructive voltage spikes.
AT: What is "standby"?
ABOUT: Standby in a laptop is almost the same as shutdown. Only when switching to the standby mode, all open windows and programs will not be closed. When you "wake up" a laptop, you will start working from the place where you left off.
AT: How are Apple laptops (MacBooks) different?
ABOUT: First of all, a completely different operating system: not Windows, but Mac OS X. This entails differences in technical capabilities. Apple computers are most often used when working with multimedia applications, graphics, and design developments.
AT: What are PCMCIA and CardBus cards?
ABOUT: Expansion cards of the laptop, with their help, you can connect a TV tuner, card reader, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth modules.
AT: What is the S / PDIF output, why is it needed?
ABOUT: S / PDIF - English Sony / Philips Digital Interface Format is a standard for transmitting digital audio between various audio components. Allows several types of cable and types of jacks 3.5 mm jack (standard plug from headphones), and RCA jack, popularly referred to as "Tulip". Another type of S / PDIF is called "optical", or TOSLINK - a light guide is used for data transmission. The advantage of the S / PDIF optical type is excellent electrical noise immunity.
AT: What is a “glass matrix”?
ABOUT: Special matrices production technology - provides high brightness of liquid crystal displays, color saturation, more vivid and colorful image. Colors in laptops with the matrix appear fresh, juicier, because the matrix is ​​applied to the laptop special glossy finish instead of a conventional opaque. Visually reducing the distance between adjacent pixels, the coating thereby significantly increases the contrast and brightness of the image. A significant drawback of glossy matrices is that they seem to serve as a mirror for you and the objects around you (which is why such a matrix is ​​sometimes called the mirror). In addition, the laptop screen with a matrix much glare, and the more intense lighting in your room is, the worse the image seen on the laptop screen.
AT: What to look for in the design of the case?
ABOUT: Hole for ventilation. If the radiator hole is located at the bottom, then you need a hard surface for comfortable notebook operation, so that the legs of the laptop create a small distance from the surface, since by placing it on some soft surface, you close the cooling holes.
USB ports. It is desirable that the USB ports are not grouped in one place, but were scattered on the sides. Since when you connect one large USB device, such as a flash drive, you can block other ports.
AT: What is the use of a widescreen screen?
ABOUT: The widescreen display has an aspect ratio of 16: 9, rather than 4: 3, like a normal display. On a laptop with such a screen, it is more convenient to work on the Internet and with text documents, since the basic information is located in the center of the screen, and the side space can be used at your discretion. On the widescreen display is much more pleasant to watch a movie, since the black bars above and below disappear.
AT: How much RAM is enough for comfortable work?
ABOUT: 512 MB of RAM will be enough for comfortable work on the Internet, in Word and Excel, as well as for watching movies. Ideal volume - 2 GB and more, you can work with comfort in Windows Vista and Windows 7.
AT: How to quickly charge a laptop battery?
ABOUT: In order to charge the battery faster, you need to turn off the laptop and connect it via a mains adapter to a 220V outlet. The fact is that when the laptop is turned on, the energy that comes from the mains adapter is consumed by the operation of the laptop systems and its battery charge. But when the laptop is turned off, all the energy goes to the battery, so its charge is faster than when the laptop is turned on.
AT: I have a very hot laptop, is this some kind of malfunction?
ABOUT: It all depends on how long ago began to warm up your laptop. If you bought it recently and since the first day it is heated to about the same, you can not worry about. The heating of the bottom surface of the notebook in the process - a common phenomenon for lowering can use a special stand-fan temperature. But if the laptop has become warm when it was some time after the purchase, you should first clean it yourself from the dust with a special vacuum cleaner (perhaps a clogged air vents). If this does not help, contact the service center.

The topic is looking for a curator!

Post has been editedgabby - 14.03.20, 22:55
Reason for editing: reissue

Rep: (247)
Vladimir881469 @ 08.24.18, 21:11*
there is the same very contradictory.

There is nothing muddy there, a normal laptop with LG / AUO IPS, details in the profile branch.

Rep: (1)
Sw-777 @ 08.24.18, 22:48*
normal laptop withLG / AUO IPS, details in the profile branch.

Yes, I do not argue. Just in the reviews, some people write that they don’t like the screen, others absolutely love it and all the guts. Apparently different manufacturers of matrices. Now we need to catch something good :) Is there an info on this issue in the profile branch?

You need a decent color rendition, you get it. The screen is liked by everyone who is satisfied with 17.3 and a low ppi relative to 15.6. In the profile, everything is reloaded 100500 times, read. I wrote a lot there, how to choose and buy.

Rep: (0)
Hello!
1. The maximum price of a laptop: 35000 (comfortable 30-25k)
2. City in which the purchase of a laptop will be made: Yakutsk
3. Screen size in inches: not important
3.1. If the diagonal is less than 14 inches, then you need a drive: no
3.2. Are there preferences for the type of screen: no
4. What is important in the first place: performance, but so that you can work with a teamviewer in 1s remotely for 1-2 hours
5. Do you need games: Desirable comfortable game CS: GO \ pubg
5.2. Do I need to switch between discrete and integrated graphics: I do not know
6. What does this need Wi-Fi N, ssd

Post has been editedTjosam - 26.08.18, 07:19

I have the most budget Lenovo) In principle, everything that I need to do.

Hello! Faced with the choice of laptop for the office, but sometimes you have to carry home. Applications are mainly office (word, excell, project) + 3D models in Autocad. The games are cool, but maybe someday: D In the office I mainly sit with a monitor, so the super IPS screen is not a fact that is needed. I really want the laptop to serve longer: D Budget + -60k. The choice stopped on the following units:
Dell G3 3579 Core i5 8300H / 8Gb / 1Tb + 128Gb SSD / NV GTX1050 4Gb (I don’t know how to check the matrix, since it will be bought for non-cash with delivery);
MSI GL63 8RC (Intel Core i5 8300H 2300 MHz / 15.6 "/ 1920x1080 / 8GB / 1128GB HDD + no SSD / DVD / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 / Wi-Fi / Bluetooth / Windows 10 Home);
ASUS VivoBook Pro 15 N580GD (Intel Core i5 8300H 2300 MHz / 15.6 "/ 1920x1080 / 8GB / 1256GB HDD + no SSD / DVD / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 / Wi-Fi / Bluetooth / Endless OS;
I would like to hear your comments / suggestions.

maels86 @ 08.27.18, 17:07*
(I don’t know how to check the matrix, because it will be bought for non-cash with delivery)

It makes no sense, they are all lousy in 3579 and there were no reviews about flickering. Check only 3779, where there is one option with a flicker. There is a completely different level of IPS in color and brightness, angles.

ASUS VivoBook Pro 15 N580GD

ASUS VivoBook Pro 15 N580GD
In addition to the option with 4k there is the same lousy IPS, as in 3579, unless it is brighter. The rest does not matter, because 580 has DP1.2, and 3579 HDMI 2.0a, both allow you to connect 4k monitors. Cooling is probably still better with Dell.

I really want the laptop to serve longer

But this is not guaranteed with such laptops, with constant dragging, they are not very suitable for this.

Sw-777 @ 08.27.18, 20:08*
In addition to the option with 4k

4k is not required. What about MSI? Of the 580 and 3579, the latter is still in priority, since better CO)

TN and that says it all.

Sw-777 @ 08.28.18, 13:12*
TN and that says it all.

And if you do not take the calculation matrix?)

Help with the laptop. The budget is 20K, for neta and work with office applications.

Mels86 @ 08.28.18, 14:55*
And if you do not take the calculation matrix?)

If you do not take, the overall reliability of MSI is higher than that of asus, and the ports are more convenient. Minus - the battery between the heat pipes in all cheap series. Well, Dell is the only one gaming, because 4GB in 1050, not 2.

Sw-777 @ 08.28.18, 17:33*
overall MSI reliability is higher than that of asus

and in comparison with Dell?)

Mels86 @ 08.29.18, 08:16*
and in comparison with Dell?)

About the same. Although Dell will be better inside the cheap series, but outside it will be better than MSI.

Hello! Friends, advise a good version of the laptop, while stopped at the E580. What can you say about him?

1. Maximum laptop price: 70k
2. City in which the purchase of a laptop will be made: Moscow
3. Screen size in inches: 15Вґ
3.1. If the diagonal is less than 14 inches, then you need a drive: no
3.2. Are there any preferences for the type of screen: matte, IPS, not flickering, color rendering is not important
4. What is important in the first place: performance
5. Do you need games: no
7. What does this Wi-Fi N need
8. Other preferences: laptop for codding, fresh i5 + ssd 256, 8gb (with the ability to pop up to 16), convenient keyboard, discrete is not particularly needed, I think a mobile card will pull my tasks.

Claudia convenient for coding only 15.6+. And not all dop.tsifrovoy unit normally made. If satisfied with castrates 14 ", it is best to look at the Dell 7490, because he is the best on set parameters. E580 normal initial option, although if you need to connect 4k Monique (who were always more) have to suffer with the purchase of a mini-dock, but it's still a lot of money, as opposed to the G5 450 (but it is cheap IPS, dimmer 20-30 nits, otherwise no difference). Native contrast probably have E580 BOE in the case of the matrix can be very good, much higher than that G5.

7. long obsolete. AC rules the ball.

At 14Вґ I think it will pick up the working space, 15.6 is more pleasant, but I'll take Dell on a note) Yes, if there was a 4k output on the e580 there would be a box in general, on Monica, the sky and the earth would be encoded, compared to the laptop) In general, with matrices I have to make out what we sell, I understand that e580 with BOE, LG, AUO can I take?

Post has been editedpytn1k - 29.08.18, 15:23

Pytn1k @ 08/29/18 14:42*
Yes, if there was an exit of 4k on the e580, it would be generally a box

He is, only available only when powered by battery, and not from the network without a mini-dock. A minidok is $ 50-70 more. And the price of the E580 and so wildly overpriced. And the guarantee for it is exactly the same as on the G5, except that the ports are generally more convenient.

Pytn1k @ 08/29/18 14:42*
I understand e580 with BOE, LG, AUO can I take?

Any way you can, LG has the same contrast as the G5 450, according to the reviews, the BOE is decently higher, but the variation is so in copies that you cannot guess.

In general, the best laptop in 2018 on ports and clave (my favorite on the case and the keyboard is for developers) - Omen 15, 2018. If it were not rotten CO (looks like it is very noisy even in surfing on prof.testam, unlike gaming Dell) and no flickering Chinese matrix (with LG to take is possible, if found), he just fits in 70K. But unfortunately us rides in younger config without multiband RGB backlight claves (filthy red with red color odnog symbols, the balls would be suspended in order monster R & D which is conceived) and in the embodiment with flickering IPS. And in the absence of W10, check the flicker problem if the brightness is not rulitsya in the BIOS.

Rep: (22)
Hello!
Help with a choice not to screw it up.
Need an Ultrabook for work and the Internet.
The main reliable metal body and hinges! Weight up to 1.5 kg maximum!
Parameters: Prots - Pentium, Core i3. RAM - 8 gb. SSD -128 \ 256 gb. Backlight Claudia. Screen 13-14 (IPS)
Budget up to 750 dollars.

There is no price for the metal case.

Full version    

Help     rules

Time is now: 23/06/20, 19:47