Stylus for capacitive screens

Attached Image

For devices with capacitive screens.
We write, who uses what ...

Post has been editedAndrewP_1 - 25.06.19, 16:43
Reason for editing: re-issuing caps, edited by veabro

Rep: (44)
Nitrogen ,
and here it’s not particularly necessary. The main thing to find PTFE.

Rep: (1703)
keefeere cool stylus! Something like this i built to my wife

Nitrogen see in PM

2 all , the idea of ​​making a homemade heavier and more durable stylus, which will enter the slot on a typewriter, has long ripened. There are 2 options - either sharpen (troublesome, because it’s very thin), or pick up a knitting needle of a suitable diameter and bring it to the “mind”.

slimest , Thank!
I have such an idea already matured and 80% transferred to the finished product, also using fluoroplastic.
But there are still problems with the upper end, for which they pull.
How to finish - lay out and this option.

I have some doubts about Teflon as an ideal material for the tip, it hurts too soft and fluid. If it collects dust, it will begin to scratch the display. More inclined to materials such as caprolon.

Rep: (192)
slimest ,
keefeere ,
Sorry for OFF but I made a stylus from a simple 6B pencil. The screen is not scratched.

Rep: (4)
and right now I’ll mix you up with how to make a stylus in 1 minute when it is urgently needed. Choose a simple plastic-covered paper clip where it is very necessary, and besides the clip there is no one.

Apparently the topic can be renamed to "Original replacement of the stylus" and or "The more than the stylus you can poke into the screen" :-)
And it is a pity that no one was interested in this device. :-)

kochrob Well, this is not an offtopic, it is probably not the topic :) keefeere just shared its stylus design. Everything is done very carefully and friendly to the user. I would prefer it with a stylus rather than a pencil;)

Added @ 06.11.2006, 18:19

Keefeere @ 11/06/06 6:16:46 PM
And it is a pity that no one was interested in this device. :-)
Why not interested, just many people do not know how to do something with their hands, and many just read and took note :) I believe that your message is very useful.

Added @ 06.11.2006, 18:22

mamba_man , such a stylus design was published online sometime in February, and the authors (in English) were going to sell such styluses :) As I remember.

Rep: (1)
colleagues, in vain you say that nobody was interested in the idea. I also had thoughts to do something.
keefeere , great job, the thing turned out pretty. only I have a question - what is PTFE, where can I get it? If possible, please upload a photo of the initial type of material.
slimest , I also thought about the knitting needle, but I doubted the prototype of the implementation, namely, how to make the upper part, which will cling to the notch in the PDA - the spoke is without protrusions, and something is somehow wrong to glue ...
Now I think I’ll just take the usual ballpoint pen, remove the iron part from the rod, and carve the tip of plastic instead.

mamba_man , no, I just wanted to share the method, who can
wants such!

Serj574 ,
Fluoroplastic - as one friend of mine called a technician - “material-titanium” - has many remarkable properties, but in our case its property of low frictional sliding force is used - the stylus slides gently on the screen like clockwork!
Here isheresell products and blanks of fluoroplastic, the original of my stylus was one of these blanks - rod d = 6mm, l = 250mm. Took on the local market.
Hereandheresomething else interesting about him.
In the evening I will post pictures of the source material.

Rep: (109)
but I, after losing the stylus, made a new one from a nail — I carved it and blunt the end a little, I thought to make a stylus out of a pen, but it is inconvenient, because you can’t put it in the stylus nest ..

Rep: (48)
Serj574.06.11.06 08:32:14
I have a question - what is PTFE, where can I get it? if possible, please upload a photo of the initial type of material

Look in Google for the words TEFLON and PTFE, for sure there are descriptions.
The main advantages of the material - stability, anti-friction (coating pans) and machinability. In appearance, nothing special, painted in any color. It is expensive, retail sheets / pigs / rods did not meet.

goodman4444 , about the fluoroplastic I already looked. judging by what is in the internet, it is, nevertheless, not very expensive - 272 rubles / kg, but you need a few grams of everything. I really don’t know, maybe I found a wholesale price. but the essence is different, as I understand it, the most convenient form in which it is sold is rods, but with a diameter of 20mm, so the question immediately is how to cut this miracle at home into the digestible state of the stylus?
In general, dearkeefeere , please tell us in more detail how the stylus was made? not sure if I will do the same, but I will still appreciate it;)

Serj574 All right, the material is relatively inexpensive.
In Odessa we have a "Starokonny" market in which rods of any diameter are sold.
I came across a rod with a diameter of about 6 mm:

Attached Image

and about 25 cm long:

Attached Image

The cost of such a good - about $ 1, let's say immediately making it not quite "ceremonial" - is cast (or pressed) with burrs, which is probably why a low price. But the quality of the material is normal.

So, we proceed to manufacture.
First you need to imagine what stylus diameter we want.
(Generally speaking, this must be done before the purchase of the rod and take it with a margin of about 1 millimeter no more.)
We take a freshly purchased stylus and clamp it in the drill chuck:

Attached Image

then we put the drill on the stool. Now fix the free end of the rod, but so that it can rotate. I took a cardboard box and made a hole in it into which I inserted a rod. So it happened:

Attached Image

After we take a fairly large sandpaper, wrap the stylus

Attached Image

and turn on the drill. Uniform progressive movements sandpaper
grind the rod, it decreases in diameter, at the same time becoming more smooth and rounded. Do not forget to control the diameter of the future stylus:

Attached Image

so as not to make it too thin. It is advisable to do this along the entire length of the rod.
When we get an even rod of the required diameter, we cut the length we need, take a pencil sharpener and sharpen one of the ends like a pencil. Now we clamp the rod into the cartridge with a blunt end, already better through a piece of paper and not much. We take a tough rough sandpaper, fold it in half and turn on the drill, as if we are "pushing" the pointed end of the stylus between the two halves of the sandpaper with translational-return movements.
As a result, we get a uniformly thinning stylus as in the photos from the first post.
So preparation is ready. Now we take a smaller sandpaper and polish the stylus in the same way with a drill. Even smaller and more, down to zero. Then we can make the "finish" a simple piece of paper - it will select the remaining abrasive particles in the fluoroplastic if there is one and give it a gloss. You can try Goya pasta, I have not tried it, but with other materials - what you need.
So we got a perfectly smooth shiny stylus pleasantly slippery to the touch. In principle, it is already possible to use. But I would still recommend to make a handy clip for carrying in your pocket. Find the handle with a clip similar diameter (good handle are distributed by free - there is usually a simple construction, well suited for this purpose), remove the clip, try on its diameter. it should be at 0.1-0.2 millimeters smaller than the diameter of the stylus, if it is not - reams. The resulting clip should not just dress for the stylus hands. To put it well and still get good fixation clamp the stylus into the cartridge and insert the stylus into the terminal. Should enter easily.
Everything. Our stylus is ready to use.

pithy, thank you! +1

Rep: (112)
And once I made a stylus from a ballpoint pen, only instead of a toothpick, as was written above, I began to heat an empty rod on a lighter, and then use my fingers to shape it: D

Rep: (1152)
I’ll find fluoroplastic and make a tip on my Parker, lying around vseravno idle.

Rep: (81)
Today I will try to put you a photo of the stylus, which I did with my own hands, without even straining.

Rep: (1152)
Finally, he found fluoride and made himself a stylus and a former Parker pen

In the photo the stylus itself and what it was made of
Attached Image

Full version    

Help     rules

Time is now: 16/07/20, 10:38