OS for Netbook
What is the most suitable OS for netbooks?
The main selection criterion is the battery life of the netbook?
MS Windows 2000 [ 21 ] ** [1,38%]
MS Windows 2003 server [ 4 ] ** [0,26%]
MS Windows XP [ 348 ] ** [22,82%]
MS Windows Vista [ 6 ] ** [0,39%]
MS Windows 7 [ 621 ] ** [40,72%]
MAC OSx [ 66 ] ** [4,33%]
Linux (+ GUI) [ 361 ] ** [23,67%]
Own option [ 98 ] ** [6,43%]
Total votes: 1525

Rep: (3)
* MegaFon929,
Is Runtu Lite 18.04 suitable? Or does it require more powerful iron and more gluttonous?

PS. I’m looking for an assembly for an outdated budget Aser AspireOne netbook, of course I would like to have Windows Lite, because the person I put in mainly works in Word and operations like searching for files cause him difficulties ..

Rep: (739)
* kursoriks Runtu Lite 18.04 is lighter, Runtu 18.04

Posted on 07/10/2019, 12:10:

* kursoriks , upd: if a person works with Microsoft Word, then Linux is not an option, generally not an option. Here I can only advise Windows 7 Thin PC. Well, or the usual Win 7, since the Thin PC has a limit of 1.75 gig, but this is easily fixed by patches.

And for good, at least 10 thousand on a new laptop (you can take used).

Post has been editedMegaFon929 - 10.07.19, 12:12

Rep: (0)
* MegaFon929 , The easiest option is any Linux distro with xfce. If a person works with a small soft Word, install a crossover, download the “bottle” (crx archive) with an office installed, for example 2013, and the person will have a working machine.

Rep: (0)
* kursoriks , A little wrong you understand, it does not matter what the distribution will be called. The important thing is which graphical environment or window manager you will use, the absence of “brakes” on a certain hardware will depend on this.

Rep: (4)
Here I can only advise Windows 7 Thin PC.

It is impossible to be so easy to find a clean version, some assembly around.HERE IS AN EXAMPLE

Rep: (15)
The best distribution for a netbook is called Gentoo. You may be surprised how Gentoo? How much will it gather on the weak gland netbook?

In fact, Gentoo is collected with all programs on a faster machine (big brother, BB) with the optimizations for the netbook processor, and use-flags, corresponding to the desired capabilities, and is packaged in the SquashFS image (ZSTD type compression, with a relatively slow compression, Retired rally and decent coefficient). In principle, you can leave the development tools in the image to post up directly from the netbook of the usual Emerge, only this will be slowly slow. You can cut the development tools by making an image updated only with BB. The image can maintain a cascade mount (AUFS / OVERLAYFS) to update (Squashfs is a read-only file system).
Thanks to compression, the system occupies quite a bit of place even with the means of development (I have less than 2.5 GB with a bunch of software - compare with the appetites of some kind of dozens).

My netbook - Eee PC 901, 2009 release, with a replaced clave, 2 GB of RAM and a new battery (10 years batteries do not live), is used as a device for travel and router with an access point for distribution of the Internet. The battery life is about 5-6 hours (I do not remember exactly, but enough, you can turn on the energy-saving mode to get even more time). The ATOM N270 processor without support for X64, so it is important that the distribution kit supports 32-bit processors (in Ghent is simpler than in other distributions). Even if the processor supported 64 bits, the X86 would be suitable for netbooks due to fewer memory consumption.
Interestingly, the processor at the expense of simplified architecture has no vulnerabilities of Spectre and Meltdown.
On a netbook, there are two flash drives, 4 GB under the system and 16 GB as a storage drive. 4 GB under the system is quite enough, cutting the development tools, one could install the system on a netbook with 2 GB by a system partition (even such a model was).
By: The kernel version of 4.19.13-aufs (it was so it turned out that the scripts were written under the AUFS module, and it is not supported normally, and does not enter the main tree tree, you need to rewrite to the normally supported overlayfs and update the kernel up to 5 branches). In addition to AUFS, there is still a ZRAM module (for compression of RAM). Service Manager - SystemD (although many swear it, it seems to me faster, Gentoo is good because you can choose the service manager, to put OpenRC if the system do not like). Download time for about 20 seconds.
Graphic shell - LXQT 0.14.1, KDE tried, but it seemed to me heavy. Browser - Firefox 68, works quite quickly on not too heavy sites, but more than 5-10 tabs digends with difficulty due to a shortage of memory. YouTube plays SD quality, on 720 already slows down, but in this case youtube-dl (or an extension for the browser) + VLC can help, and more than 720 quality does not make sense due to low screen resolution. It is worth the software for the main tasks: libreoffice 6.2.5, VLC 3.0.8, GIMP 2.10, Wine 4.0, some applications and simple games from KDE set, and something else (Super Tux, Rocks and Diamonds, emulators of consoles, dosbox .. .) And more specialized: IDE Qt Creator and Wireshark to follow the network traffic. The version of fresh enough, although on a netbook I have a stable-branch, not ~.

Update or mounting software simply passes: on the Chroot BB, Emerge -Udnav World, Mksquashfs, and copying one image file to a netbook (for copying I decided to add a reboot to recovery mode, although with a small image, it would be possible to remove it from the main system. And write a new one - the real removal would occur when the system is completed). Another advantage - despite the fact that on netbook and BB, different architectures, download most of the packages and the portage repository only once.

Feels like - Although 10 years have passed since the purchase (for mobile devices it is a huge period), Eee PC can be used for web surfing, listening to music, reading e-books and other simple tasks (under complex it never was calculated), And the use of different optimizations allows you to squeeze out of it a little bit.
How do you like this idea? If I wonder, I can share scripts and system image.

Rep: (13)
ASUS Eee PC 1201K is installed Windows XP, Windows Thin, Lubuntu, Runtu, FreeBSD-and more nichrome. What is put, then slows down. Potted to stick the most light type Haiku is not started at all Configure Internet. Lovely Puppy Linux is not started. What else can be charged there, so that the Internet comes smartly yes, how to watch Yatuba? With Syllable Desktop washed, it is not written on the USB flash drive, you didn't try to make a flash drive or Syllable and do not write there .Slax, if you put some Windows and try to upload with ASUSA Eee PC, does not load, although from another the same macar (a little more modern) beautifully. Chromium OS, Android X86, Remix OS, Phoenix OS does not start at all. It seems that the netbook is not the oldest, there is something 2010. Parameters in brief: 1 GB operatives, AMD Athlon Geode 1750,1000 GZ, 1 SSE2, Whether something light is light, so that at least a cinema watch, toys are simple for children, in The Internet went out without a long (up to 10-15 minutes) of thought (with Linux, which is set). I want to give it a child for 5 years, something light, baby there. As much as I understood during the experiments, it is necessary to emphasize the quick type Haiku, Syllable, Kolibri. Maybe someone else can, maybe, who succeeds in successfully, to stick, share, please, experience. We have experienced the installation of Syllable, Kolibri, maybe something else is light.

Lentsch:
Haiku, Syllable, Kolibri is still an operating system for IT enthusiasts, and not for children. They may, it is easier, but most likely do not support the desired features (for example, drivers may not be enough, and little applied software can be ported), and be unstable.
I would put some kind of lightweight Linux assembly. Of course, you have a situation of worse, 1 GB of RAM and percent without support for SSE2, and with a lower frequency (I have 2 GB, SSE2 is). I am afraid that in the Internet with this it will be difficult to get out without strong brakes, and even more so youtube (although there you can download via YouTube-DL, and then watch through the VLC - he is laughing than the browser, I even went 720p).
Although I have already acceptable to enter the Internet, it turns out, but my netbook features better than yours.

Your netbook has a hard disk, in contrast to my, the problem of memory shortages can be slightly softened with swap. Be sure to need the ZRAM module to put (data compression in RAM).

If there is a good experience with Linux - collect Gent in Chroot on a fast computer, as I described, with optimizations for your percent (once existing distributions and assemblies are not satisfied, and Genta, it is like a designer, allows you to make your assemblies), and only With the desired set of software (there you can easily choose which software to install, up to the selection of versions). From light shells, you can put XFCE or LXQT, the Midori browser (lightweight). But unlike my situation, you have enough space on the disk, so the system installation will be reduced to the simple rewriting of the files (AUFS, SquashFS is not needed for saving). I could throw my image with all the assembly settings, but it is sharpened to the atom with SSE2 (although it is probably to change the parameters and rebuild all packages for the other percent, and separately rebuild the kernel, changing the config under its iron).
If there is no special experience with Linux - put Windows XP, horseradish with it that the operating system is not supported, more modern OS are not supported normally on the old gland. A browser is still alone can be found, which is more or less modern sites ship, Kmeleon For example, he has Windows min. XP SP2 written in the requirements.

Post has been editedavcnet - 25.10.19, 15:33

Rep: (962)
Lentsch @ 24.10.19, 21:07*
I want a child for 5 years to give, something light, baby there

For Ineta, such a laptop is not suitable, only as a NAS or sysadmin to carry in the cabinets. Children underly. Software has been seriously weight from the time of making this brake. Viber on the blades will put.

Posted on 10/26/2019, 13:32:

About Antivirus Silent.

Dear AVCNET and S5610, thank for the recommendations. Ensure to take into account. And I will not forget to publish a dister who will fall on it (ASUS EEEPC 1201K). Relying that I will rise shit, at least where in general.

S5610_BEST @ 26.10.19, 13:32*
Software has been seriously weight from the time of making this brake.

Well, I have an EEE PC 901 about the same years, and it works quite responsive. Of course, not as a big modern laptop, but the desire to launch this inhibitory piece of shit in the wall does not appear. Although there as a browser is quite modern for the current standards of Firefox 68.1 ESR.
Lentsch @ 10.26.19, 17:28*
And also will not forget to publish a dister who will fall on this shit (ASUS EEEPC 1201K). Sorry that it will fall on this shit, at least where at all.

I think that the main problem is in the absence of SSE2. This kit contains a lot of useful streaming data streaming teams that increase productivity, and has appeared long ago (it appeared with Pentium 4, in 2000!), Therefore, distributing collectors are included by default. Such distributions do not work without SSE2.
Watch in system requirements so that SSE2 is not needed. For example, the last Debian 10 32-bit is going without it, but in the comments to release it is indicated that some applications may not work without SSE2, although the system itself should be started.
In distributions where the source packets are used, as in Ghent, you can ask yourself which sets of instructions will be used there. The lack of them is one - a slow installation (because programs are all compiled, it strongly uses processor resources), even on a quick machine, installing all the necessary programs can occupy about a day. On a netbook, according to my estimates, a few weeks! But for netbooks not so many programs need, and I propose not to collect on the netbook, but on the normal computer performance.
For the sake of interest, I will try to compare the performance by archiving through Squashfs (it can use several nuclei on multi-core processors) the same folder with a size of 450 MB. On a modern note with I7, the process took 11.5 seconds, and on the netbook Eee PC 901 - 3 minutes 45 seconds, the difference is about 20 times. I thought it would be even more. This is in performance optimization mode, I wonder if Powersave is included? Already 11 minutes almost.

It is probably a little more, and I will reach Gentoo. Ready here, Sabanyon in Live mode from a flash drive loads with solid doodles on the desktop, as well as if you click on the mouse. Calculate long loads to the window with the Guest login, after entering the Guest Password 30 seconds disappear and reappear again. In general, I haven't tried it out tomorrow, I have not tried it, Debian 10 is put on the disk, but it works with big-pre-pristoy stupidity. You can adjust it, but I have enough crash only to search and Launch of finished products. Light Light is still relatively quickly from the flash drive, excellent Russification, catches immediately WiFay, only the Firefox Browser does not work, suspect, because of the fact that too young for my netbook without CES 2 version there.tiny Core Plus Quickly It starts that from the flash drive, that from the disk, only Wi-Fi does not want to catch. It doesn't turn out. What does not result in ASUS EEEPC 901, I looked at the characteristics, it is also a poverty, but having an indisputable PLUS processor Intel.

Rep: (2)
Hello. I am also the owner of the EEE PC 1201K. Launched from the Puppy Linux BionicPup32 flash drive. Works well. Browser installed Firefox 45.

Rep: (14)
Lentsch @ 10/28/19, 21:53*

And how does it work on xp?

Rep: (7)
Health to all!
Two questions:
A) advise (desirable) Lin for POV Mobii Ion (atom 230 on the first Ion'e, 2 GB RAM) put, because Peratskaya Visov7 from previous owners is not satisfied (and the theme of the device is closed). UZKEYS - reserve device for browzania and video.

B) Offtop, but - a specific topic on the device did not find - Linux for Nettop Acer Revo70 (AMD E-450, 4 GB, SSD, now Win10 persons. - But it has become not used with the 18xx.

Rep: (37)
The people who are not afraid of assemblies based on the original I advise you to establish this, it's better than any Linux, this is a link to a small video, there in the description of the link to ISO image.https://youtu.be/r1ong9qqi8e.

Rep: (716)
Type Himself assembled himself? : D.

BigFishCrazy @ 03.05.20, 07:16*
Type Himself assembled himself?

No buddy, I'm not engaged in assemblies, that you have a hat on your mind, a link to the video for what it would be clear that this is, I can directly give the wishes, this is a well-known series of eight assemblies from Den. You want to help people, and as usual you can remain conjugated.

Post has been editeduser-friendly - 03.05.20, 07:30

Rep: (716)
* user-friendly,
Then it is not clear to whom this info is calculated, the assembly without the description of the thDD, who will use it in his mind - it is not clear: D Yes, and put an assembly on the poison - C author is exactly something: sveta:

BigFishCrazy @ 03.05.20, 07:32*
Yes, and put an assembly on poison

And what torrent is reliable? In short, let's not be clever, who needs, he wants, you do not need, so pass by,

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 28.01.21, 20:40