OS for Netbook
What is the most suitable OS for netbooks?
The main selection criterion is the battery life of the netbook?
MS Windows 2000 [ 21 ] ** [1,41%]
MS Windows 2003 server [ 4 ] ** [0,27%]
MS Windows XP [ 346 ] ** [23,24%]
MS Windows Vista [ 6 ] ** [0,4%]
MS Windows 7 [ 604 ] ** [40,56%]
MAC OSx [ 66 ] ** [4,43%]
Linux (+ GUI) [ 346 ] ** [23,24%]
Own option [ 96 ] ** [6,45%]
Total votes: 1489

Rep: (331)
In general, when buying a netbook, I took the battery capacity and the duration of work without recharging as a basis. At the first full charge wrote: 9 o'clock. 50 min WinXP HE was installed, but I decided to install Win7, but now, when fully charged, I see 6 ~ 7 hours. But I really don’t want to go back to XP, not mine ... Now I’ve been thinking about installing Ubuntu.

Advise who put what on a netbook \ laptop.
The main thing:
- maximum battery life;
- I would like to contemplate on the screen Starcraft netbook, Counter-Strike 1.6.

We advise, we share experience.

Rep: (185)
martofsky

WinXP has the biggest battery life. Win7 is worse than it for about 30-40 minutes. As for me it is not very critical.
With Linux and, especially, with MacOS, firstly, it’s not to play normally (tinkering with Wine and Cedega will not lead to a normal result anyway) And secondly, hemorrhoids with searching for firewood for iron, which almost always turn out to be worse than Windows.

Rep: (82)
In dos should be your 9h 50m, and even in idle mode it works for a long time. but really no more than 6-7h

Rep: (331)
I decided to leave Windows 7 and install Windows XP, but when installing XP, I see sections differently
S - my section with 135GB multimedia (photos, videos, music, games)
D - boot flash drive with XP
E - my system drive C for Windows 25GB

How to install Windows XP without a full format in such a case that the disks had the correct letters?
Tell me please.

Rep: (112)
There is a suspicion that nothing.

Even at the time when Vista just appeared, they tried to install XP right on top of it, so for some reason the disk with XP refused to format it to whist. It sounds strange of course, but there were many such posts. I had a pirated disc with additional software downloaded from under DOS, so I can’t give any comments.

Perhaps it is associated with this other drive letters.

P, S. these are just my guesses.

Post has been editedDimsml - 12.12.09, 18:02

Rep: (2)
martovsky, in your case it will be useful to download the Alkid Live CD and use Acronis Director Suit to change the drive letters and so on. But if suddenly the Boot record is erased, that is, the MBRfix program is on this disk and it is restored.
And about how I formatted the disk with Vista, then I did "in Chinese" so to speak)))) I took the boot disk with Vista, chose the option to install the system. He asked about the sections. And there he formatted a disk with Vista, and then stopped the installation) Well, sort of how it worked)))

Slaiferr, I don’t agree with you that finding drivers for Ubuntu is such a problem) It puts all the drivers perfectly

Post has been editedSLM-me - 12.12.10, 18:28

Rep: (8)
Win2000 is the best of all, but where are the drivers for it? For example, on the HP off site only 2 drivers, for the ion in general, mine is no longer released.

Rep: (114)
I agree, XP has the longest battery life. But MeeGo is not far behind. But only under the condition that the netbook on the Atom or LV / ULV version of Core. And MeeGo from Linux Center has been brought to a fully functional form.
And for Windows 2000, you can find drivers, especially if the device is not too new. For example, in my Aspire One, I quite successfully put a two-ton. And for models on Geode win2k is even preferable.

Post has been editedTrupp - 18.12.10, 20:31

Rep: (34)
Eh, now netbooks are more powerful than 2 years ago, that's when I put xp on my ee 4 without hesitation, although options such as 98 and Linux were, light versions were appealing, which is evil (do you want to make Windows make the assembly yourself)
and then he scored and put the beast in general and wasn’t worried, but what about
Starcraft, Counter-Strike 1.6.
they just fly: D but the games are no longer heavy :-(

I adhere to the option with xp although 7-ka on powerful netbooks will also work well.

And for Windows 2000, you can find drivers, especially if the device is not too new.

Well, it goes without saying, for example, to netbooks on gma. But for Nvidia drivers simply do not, and it is a pity, for a netbook 2000 would fit just right.

Rep: (20)
Windows 7 home version - and it works for a long time and do not notice the brakes. Before that, there were XP and 7 maximum.

Rep: (0)
motown

I agree completely. WinXP, with all its advantages over others, has ceased to please for a long time, and Win7 Ultimate / Prof ... are too heavy for a netbook. The solution found in the editors Win7 Starter / Win7 Home.

Here isBuild Win7 Ultimate for netbooks.

Rep: (70)
Stood and HP and Win7 and Ubuntu netbook remix. Google's energy saving, even the MS itself states that compared with CP, 7ki increased energy saving, but personally I didn’t notice a difference in work time, 7-8 hours when using, Ubuntu ate more batteries, netbook heated like a kettle, I don’t know the reason, energy saving fell up to 6-7 hours.

As a result, there is no clear difference between Win7 and HP, but I think if there is no difference, then why put HP? : D

Rep: (1089)
I have the longest lives Ubuntu, but not with Gnome, as with openbox! Similarly, for a small, but noticeable increase use LXDE desktop, and for extreme energy saving, tobezh watching a movie or typing in an airplane or somewhere else where there is no power supply - naked openbox where not loaded or the network manager or Bt or compiz, looks openbox modestly but bright-eyed and economical to stupor ... 1h 15m viewing Smpsonov in XP and 1h 50m same Simpsons in Ubuntu / openbox, but the netbook is already old, one of the first to the hdd and time I do not have, but as they say there is .. . You can also try out puppy linux, all the bright-eyed as the plane, but neither have there Konterstrayki not run

Rep: (182)
You can also try puppy linux, which is generally smart as an airplane, but you don’t have to run any Konstrukry there

I suspect that while you set everything up there, any desire to go to the computer at all will disappear.

the easiest way to put vin7 on a netbook. the power of the new CPUs is already enough to make the system work decently. Linux can be installed on a limited number of netbooks, whose iron works well and does not fail under the control of a specific distro. all sorts of things like nvidia optimus or some other bells and whistles do not work / work sucks. a particularly sore spot is going to sleep.

Well, as for me, the netbook is under Windows, that under Linux it can give out 4 hours of battery life, and this is quite enough in many cases.

Rep: (1089)
puppy does not need to be set, a live flash is enough and it will either work with the grid and sound or not ....

Rep: (182)
in that distro, I remember, a kind of less popular window manager. what package manager is there? Is it possible to quickly deploy the necessary software to work? how are things with the support of the hardware of netbooks (besides sound and network, essessno)?

if it is necessary for a long time to get involved with setting up the system, then I would not even put it. As for me, the software system should be used as a tool, not a sandbox for customization games. after all, most of the time you have to work with certain programs, and not, for example, with xorg.conf or there the bootloader configuration files.

I chose Linux for installation on a netbook because of the lower consumption of resources than win7, sufficient reliability. Well, so that all the basic functions are either supported out of the box, or easily solved. and if you need to dig, then this is uncomfortable for me. My netbook is constantly at work and I need a working and reliable system, and not one that does not know how to get out of hibernation or in which the backlight adjustment does not work. but this is just my opinion, everyone is pinocchio himself.

On the Internet, I came across a description of the features of Linux on different netbooks. here you can install linux on asusa and not worry that something will not start. and on what thread eyser on amd it is better not necessary to put Linux. So it goes.

world.

Rep: (228)
With Win7, my netbook lives with active use for about 7 hours :) for 6 hours the current drops to 30% charge)
but the question is, what is better to put on a netbook from Linux?), and then you never know will protect me: D

Rep: (442)
What is better to put on a netbook from Linux?
- There are a lot of different options. From myself I can recommend Ubuntu 10.04.1 Netbook Edition (if the netbook shell is not needed - just work in the dextup version).

Full version    

Help     rules

Time is now: 13/07/20, 7:27