Lenovo Ideapad 330S-14 | [notebook]

Rep: (311)
Lenovo Ideapad 330S-14 (Intel, AMD)
Notebook: 14.0 "| Windows 10

Attached Image

Specifications (models for the Russian market)
Body Material: Plastic + Aluminum Cover
Pre-installed OS:
  • Windows 10 Home SL 64-bit
  • missing

Screen:
  • 14 "(1920x1080 matt IPS)
  • 14 "(1366x768 Anti-glare)

CPU:
  • AMD A6-9225
  • AMD A9-9425
  • Intel Pentium 4415U
  • Intel Core i3-7020U
  • Intel Core i3-8130U
  • Intel Core i5-7200U
  • Intel Core i5-8250U
  • Intel Core i7-8550U

Video card:
  • built into the CPU
  • AMD Radeon 535 2GB GDDR5
  • AMD Radeon 540 2GB GDDR5

RAM:
  • 4 Gb built-in
  • 4 Gb built-in + 2 Gb DDR4-2400
  • 4 Gb built-in + 4 Gb DDR4-2400
  • 4 Gb built-in + 8 Gb DDR4-2400

Storage device:
  • HDD SATA 1 Tb 5400rpm
  • SSD SATA 128 Gb
  • SSD SATA 256 Gb
  • SSD SATA 512 Gb
  • SSD M.2 128 Gb
  • SSD M.2 256 Gb
  • SSD M.2 128 Gb + HDD SATA 1 Tb 5400rpm
  • Intel Optane 16 Gb + HDD SATA 1 Tb 5400rpm

Webcam: HD 1280 Г— 720, 0.92MP
Microphone: built-in stereo
Wireless modules: combined [Wi-Fi 11ac, 1x1 + Bluetooth 4.1]
Keyboard backlight: there are some models
Battery: 52.5 Wh, 11.25V, 4670mAh, Rapid Charge Technology
Charger: 20V 3.25A (65W), round 4.0x1.7mm, positive contact inside
Dimensions: 323x235x19 mm
Weight: ~ 1.6 kg

Available external connectors:
USB Type-C (laptop charging does not support)
USB 3.0 (2pcs)
HDMI
4v1 memory card slot (SD, TF, MS, M2)
Audio output 3.5 (combined 4-pin, sound + microphone)

Internal slots:
SATA (for HDD or SSD size 2.5 "thickness up to 7mm)
M.2 2280 (for SATA SSD, NVMe SSD or Intel Optane)
SO-DIMM DDR4

Description on the manufacturer's website:
Ideapad 330s (14, Intel)
Ideapad 330s (14, AMD)
Additional Images
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Photos of the entrails

Photos of the model without a discrete video card, a memory bar and M.2 SSD (purchased separately) are installed under a black piece of iron. HDD in the photo is also not native. At the top right is the WiFi + BT module.
Right under USB is the first and so far the only visible warranty seal, the keyboard cannot be accessed without losing the warranty, but other components can be replaced without fear.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Links
List of all modificationsIntel versions, AMD versions

Programs, driversfor the Intel version, for AMD version

Lenovo Utility(displaying commands of the F1 ... F12 keys on the screen), you can install the Lenovo Utility from the app store.

A small overclocking and changing the voltage of Intel processors:IntelВ® Extreme Tuning Utility (IntelВ® XTU), description fromlaeron_kr

Flicker free (PWM fix) -fork of the programIntelPWMControl.
The original IntelPWMControl has problems working under fresh drivers. ATthis topiclooking for a solution, perhaps it is already there. Thanks for the tipSw-777 , his post with explanations . Use of the program is at your own risk, faster wear of the monitor is possible.

A laptop maintenance manual, also containing all the part numbers:Hardware maintenance manual

FAQ - Questions, problems, solutions
Hotkeys
In addition to the drawn commands on the F1 ... F12 keys and arrows, there are commands:
Fn + B - Break
Fn + P - Pause
Fn + C - Scroll Lock
Fn + S - SysRq
Fn + Q - ??
Fn + Spacebar - backlight control (if available)

Components, iron, connectors
How long does the laptop battery last?
1) Model with i3 without video card, with SSD and HDD 5400 rpm - 7-8 hours with office load and 10-15% brightness.
2) i3 without video, without HDD, SSD m2, max. brightness, cinema + periodic surfing - in 7 hours the discharge is 80%

Can the laptop turned off to charge (power) something via USB?
Yes, if the Always On USB function is enabled in the BIOS, the USB port on the left (with the battery icon) will power the device connected to it when the laptop is turned off. Moreover, the second option Charge in Battery Mode enables / disables charging when the notebook power supply is off.

Can I charge my laptop via USB Type-C?
Not.

Can I install HDD and SSD at the same time?
Yes - SSD M.2 2280 and HDD SATA 2.5 "are not thicker than 7mm. If the configuration initially costs 2.5" SSD, then you will have to purchase both HDD and SSD.

Is it possible to add RAM to a laptop?
Yes, 4 GB RAM is soldered on the board and "there is always", but the laptop has one slot for DDR4, memory up to 16GB is supported. Dual-channel mode will work with any memory, but it is optimal to buy memory with a frequency of 2400 MHz - just as much from the built-in memory.

Video card / processor replacement
A discrete video card (if there is one), as well as a processor, is soldered onto a mat. the board. At home, they can not be replaced, only the hands of craftsmen in the SC. Add a video card, respectively - also, it is cheaper to immediately buy a model with a video card.

Component replacement and warranty
There are no seals and hidden screws on the back cover, so you can safely unscrew and remove it to change the RAM, SSD, HDD, WiFi \ BT module and even update the thermal paste on the processor and clean the radiator / cooler. There is a caveat: when contacting the SC under warranty, the laptop must be brought into the original equipment.
Answers in the Lenovo community:time, two

How to extend the battery life during continuous operation from the network?
In the program Lenovo Vantage (installed from the Microsoft store): Power>Battery Conservation Mode. The laptop in this mode does not charge more than 60% and takes longer to charge (fast charging is turned off).
fastdjqcrjhjdj with pictures

What kind of hole ...?
On the right side: to the left of the SDcard slot is the recessed emergency reset button of the device (although you can always turn it off by holding the power button and turning it on again). To the right of the USB is a lock hole (Kensington Lock).
On top of the screen: in the center - the webcam's eye and its operation indicator, a little further to the right and left - two microphones.
Other
Laptop beeps! ..
This is a frequent complaint, the squeak is heard only in a quiet environment. Most believe that the problem is in the chokes - perhaps it can be fixed by filling them with glue, but you need to disassemble the laptop, breaking the warranty seal on the board. There are no reports that someone did this. Therefore, the laptop or give back, or tolerate, or get used to. Someone just does not hear.

How to make the F1 ... F12 function keys work as usual, and the commands for them were called via Fn?
You need to go into the BIOS (at startup, press F2) and change the Configuration setting - HotKey Mode.
A similar setting is in the Lenovo Vantage application.

How to remove the pop-up indicator of clicking on CapsLock? (in games it really gets in the way)
Option 1. Disable the complete display application. In the task manager in the Startup section, right-click on the Lenovo Utility ->Turn off. Reboot. With a minus, the on / off states of the touchpad, microphone, camera will no longer be displayed (but they will work).
Option 2. Use programs like KeyTweak to disable or reassign a key. Games usually access the keyboard directly, so the key will work there, but the display will not be displayed when pressed.

Why does the display itself change the brightness on dark pages / pictures?
Included "display power saving technology" from Intel.Turns off in the control panel ->Intel Graphics Setup.

Is there a light sensor in the laptop?
Not.

Why can't I install apps except from the Windows Store?
The laptop is installed Windows 10 in S mode, which allows you to install applications only from the Windows store. To disable this mode, go to Settings.>Update and Security>Activation>Switch to Windows 10 Home>Transition from S-mode>Receive. Return mode back impossible.More in faq from Microsoft

Problems installing Windows 7 or 10
Before installing another edition of Windows 10, you must first unlock the S-mode in the installed system (see the previous paragraph). If the system is already deleted - restore and remove the lock.
Windows 7, according to the manufacturer, is not supported. In fact, it is possible to install the system, but the problem is to find drivers for some devices.

If you have something to add to the cap - write me inQMS

Post has been editedCalhoon - 02.07.19, 06:15

I bought a model with i3 on board. On the whole, I am satisfied; for such a price, it is quite difficult to find a comfortable kit. The most profitable option - DNS for 2 weeks has already launched the second share on the laptop, now the price is 30 thousand, and taking into account bonuses it generally turns out 27. I took it, relying on a small size (first I picked up a 13 "model, but then I saw this in the store with a suitable work with stuffing. All the necessary connectors are present, are located quite comfortably. Of the minuses - the speakers are directed downwards, they are muffled on a soft surface. the air will also be blocked, although I only have a problem with a heavy load on the system. And another squeak. Many people complain about it - the laptop really emits a squeak somewhere in the middle of the board. The sound is especially audible in silence when the fan is not spinning.

I put a memory bar in the laptop, an NVMe drive for the system, and a HDD for junk instead of an SSD. I installed Win10LTSC, the drivers almost all tightened themselves. Memory bar with built-in work in dual channel mode. Overall satisfied.

You can easily get to the insides - just unscrew the screws in the back cover (10pcs), under the additional piece of iron on 3 screws - memory, WiFi, PCIe and a processor. Whoever has a discrete video card will be there too =) No hidden screws, you can also change the thermal paste or clean the radiator without any problems. I like it.
photo of viscera
Attached Image

The battery may well hold for 7 or more hours. For three hours of browsing the web with parallel work in Excel, the charge fell by 40%. I don’t know if this is a good indicator in 2019 - before that I used an old netbook, the battery of which initially lasted 3-4 hours on the Internet.
A useful trifle: with a charge of less than 20%, the power indicator turns orange - you immediately notice that the battery sits down if the full-screen application is running at that time.

I do not understand why manufacturers in 13 "and 14" shoved 1920x1080? You have to use scaling, which is an extra hemorrhoid in old programs. I think 1900x600 here would be just right. 1366x768 is not enough - I used 11.6 "so. By the way, the scale of the store was 150%, changed by 125%

i3-8130U and integrated graphics is enough for undemanding games. I tested it in CSGO - at 1280x720, with a minimum salary and with bots on a small map it gives out about 70-80 fps. If you really want, you can)

Post has been editedCalhoon - 23.02.19, 09:20

Rep: (19)
* Calhoon Congratulations on your purchase: drinks:. I also look at 330s ... only 15-inch. There is an old Asus on 14 "with HD resolution, I saw in M.video 330s 14" with AMD-process ... I liked the touchpad, the finger slides well, the model is pleasant in general.
I just think i5 8250U 1.6GHz, 8GB, 128GB SSD to take ... 1000 difference between it and i3 8130U 2.2GHz, 4GB, 1000GB, 128GB SSD ... there is no backlight and no HDD, but 8 GB of RAM at once.

* xXx-ray, The DNS model with i3 was cheaper than other stores. I have enough for work, I didn’t want to lay a big budget. In the DNS, he is now generally worth 30, the share is the second week

Rep: (0)
Good day. I also purchased this model, I like it completely. But there is one thing - adaptive adjustment of screen brightness. Because our driver is installed only from the manufacturer (the standard with intel support for uhd 620 is not installed and sends to the manufacturer) there is no intel hd graphics panel. I do not know how to turn off this adaptive backlight, it infuriates me terribly, diminishes it on a dark background, adds brightness to a bright one. In the power plan settings, too, there is no point for adaptive backlighting. Does anyone have any thoughts? Maybe they solved the problem?

Rep: (489)
* kilyak, look for this adaptability in services and disconnect.

Rep: (202)
no intel hd graphics panel.
Try these patches
Attached fileintel_panel_to_context_menu.rar(370 bytes)

Attached fileintel_panel_to_system_tray.rar(603 bytes)

* kilyak, this is the so-called "display energy saving technology."
Turns off in the control panel ->Intel graphics settings, or a similar menu item by right-clicking on the desktop.
In the factory system, this item was, in the new installed system, there is also
Attached Image

Yes, and the driver is installed normally
Attached Image

Post has been editedCalhoon - 24.02.19, 15:44

Tell me, please, where did the driver come from? At me LSB one single and all shakes. Development date 08/27/2018. There is a Windows application Intel HD Graphics Control panel, but there is an error at startup - check the driver and try again.

Rep: (202)
By replacing the driver in the device manager, the latest Intel driver is installed on any laptop without any problems, and the control panel has now migrated to the store, because Microsoft made Stewood make it in the form of UWP, it began in November. Well, or try the above patches.

Calhoon , tell me, that is, you can not simultaneously install ssd and hdd in the laptop?

* noliker, possible, but SSD needs formatNVMeM2. SATA in laptop one.
I set it up - a regular SSD will now go to the desktop computer)

Post has been editedCalhoon - 20.03.19, 08:31

I bought it in dns, now I'm looking for 8GB so-dimm ddr4. On soldered timing CL14 10-10-10-14. Which is better to choose so as not to underestimate performance? Interested in as always the name and approximate price

* mmbugs watched the timings under load? I showed 17-17-17-39, I took the corresponding in terms of parameters in the same dns for points from buying a laptop

Fit this unit on NG! Everything pleases EXCEPT the speed of downloading files from torrents and a cloud-3 GB for about 1h40 downloads. The torrent client installed from the Windows store, and from the bit torrent site, both of them download the same dick. I cling to the same router asusovskiy old netbook 2012, downloads all the same for 25-30min .....

Rep: (358)
* Teftelkin,
I keep a hundredth stable. this is the maximum of my tariff. Everything sways fast. Those firewood that were put automatically with a dozen. You can also try to go to Power Options - Configure the power plan - Change additional power settings - Wireless adapter settings - Power saving mode - Set maximum performance both on the mains and on the battery

1) Internet speed
Attached Image

2) network download speed
Attached Image

Post has been editedHardfreim - 04.03.19, 01:13

Thanks for the advice. He brought everything to the maximum speed in the settings of the wireless network adapter, it's still there. By downloading a maximum of 480kb / s return of 0.9KB / s ...... such things

It's good to be stupid))))) After setting the maximum speed, I forgot to reboot, now all the rules, the speed went right!
HardFreim-Respect and Respect for advice.

Rep: (358)
Here is a small video about the laptop shot, maybe someone will be interested :)
https://youtu.be/jgkXRTWDIEA

Rep: (17)
Calhoon @ 02.13.19, 22:21*
i3-8130U

Hello. I bought the same with ssd -128 and this is not enough for me. Please advise some memory, preferably also in dns for bonuses. )

* djqcrjhjdj , take a hard drive to a terabyte or two, you will be happy)

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 02.08.19, 05:10