> Attention!

New threads need to be created only inroot partition! In the future, they will be processed by moderators.

Kobo Clara HD [Linux] | [6 "] [E-Ink Carta] [1448 Г— 1072] There is

Rep: (94)
Discussion Kobo Clara HD
Discussion пїЅ | Purchase пїЅ | Kobo eReader: firmware, patches, mods, Russification пїЅ
Attached Image
Appearance
Attached ImageAttached Image

Device Description: 6 "2018 Kobo Model
Specifications
Operating system: Linux
Screen Type: E-ink carta
Screen size, inches: 6"
Screen resolution: 1448 Г— 1072, 300 ppi
Touch screen: Yes
Built-in lights: Yes, backlight color temperature adjustment
Supported text formats: EPUB, EPUB3, PDF, MOBI, TXT, HTML, RTF
Supported graphic formats: JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, TIFF, CBZ, CBR
Audio support: Not
Moisture protection: Not
CPU: Freescale i.MX6 1 GHz
RAM, MB: 512
Built-in memory, GB: 8
Memory Card Support: Not
Bluetooth support: Not
Wi-Fi support: Yes
Text-to-Speech support: Not
Battery capacity, mAh: 1500
Sizes, mm (Sh x V x T): 159.6 x 110 x 8.35
Weight, gr .: 166
Features: OS and user files are located on a removable microSD-card, which makes it relatively easy to change the size of the built-in memory.
Products webpage: https://www.kobo.com/

First impressions
Side Light Problem
There is a problem:
N2498400035XX
N2498400102XX
N2498400177XX
N2498601572XX
No problem:
N249870222XXX
N249880258XXX
N249890284876
N249850098452

Post has been editedSLOTHEADS - 18.05.19, 13:22

Rep: (0)
Tell me, did anyone try a protective glass likeof this? Is it worth a try? Thank you : thank_you:

Rep: (19)
With the transition to summer clothes, he stopped taking the book with him to the transport. Still, the "shovel" is great, except that it does not go anywhere in the pocket of the jacket.
It is a pity that there are no more portable versions of books, I had to switch to reading from a smartphone.

Rep: (248)
* O.P. , I always have a bag with me, and when not, I just hold it in my hand, it does not bother me in my hand.

Dimarei @ 05/18/19, 10:46*
I always have a bag with me, and when not, I just hold it in my hand, it does not bother me in my hand.
If you have a bag with you, then there is no problem :) Therefore, if I go to rest on the sea, I will definitely take a book for reading on the beach.

Rep: (5)
O.P. @ 05/18/19, 07:10*
It is a pity that there are no more portable versions of books, I had to switch to reading from a smartphone.

Pocketbook 515, true 5 ", but as an option" always with you "I really liked it. Just check the quality of the elastic under the" joystick ", it becomes thin over time and phantom clicks can be caught.

Yesterday I took the Clara HD bought at a sale for $ 110 from a company store (it was possible for $ 100 at Walmart, but I did not dare). She went from Canada to Newport, then shipped to Kiev by air for $ 5.
I am happy as an elephant! :)
I really liked the weight of the reader and its small size in comparison with analogues on the diagonal of the display. There are no flashes either on the verge of visibility, serial N249850098452
Natural light works without comment, it pleases the presence of a separate general brightness control separately, and the backlight temperature separately.
Third-party fonts are also well supported, which is a plus.

Minuses:
- Despite the fact that the native reader supports left-justification, I could not get this function to work in any epub book. Maybe you need to somehow format / prepare the book for this?
- The word wrap "out of the box" function does not work in UA / RU languages. But it seems to be treated as modifications.

In general, a very suitable competitor to Kindl turned out to be $ 115, I will recommend this model for purchase instead of Kindles. In any case, until the Amazons release a model with Natural Light.

Rep: (248)
- Despite the fact that the native reader supports left-justification, I could not get this function to work in any epub book. Maybe you need to somehow format / prepare the book for this?
Yes, it works with the Kobo epub (kepub) format.Kobo eReader: firmware, patches, mods, russification (Post .qwerty # 69170035)

Post has been editeddimarei - 18.05.19, 11:54

Serkuzma @ 05/18/19, 11:33*
I really liked the weight of the reader and its small size in comparison with analogues on the diagonal of the display.
I also bought by these criteria including.
Despite the fact that the native reader supports left-justification, I could not get this feature to work in any epub book.
I do not quite understand what I mean. Need to "pin" the text to the left edge, while without alignment to the right?
The function of transferring words "out of the box" in UA / RU languages ​​does not work. But it seems to be treated as modifications.
It is treated.

Rep: (42)
* serkuzma,
I recently switched from the last Kindle Paperwhite to Cobo Clara HD, I can compare. For me personally, Kobo is better in all respects, especially for the backlight. Russified in five minutes. Water resistance does not interest me. Delivered CoolReader, read fb2 and a lot of settings. I advise you to install it

Maybe you need to somehow format / prepare the book for this?
you need to remove a string of the type text-align: justify from p in the epub file in the stylesheet; Cobo developers, apparently, have some complicated ideas about what the user can change in what format, in general, as long as you have another setting sticking out explicitly there, it will not work left-justified. Maybe there is a patch on this topic, I was not interested. Well and yes, in kepab everything works as you expect.

O.P. @ 05/18/19, 11:03*
Need to "pin" the text to the left edge, while without alignment to the right?

Elephants @ 05/18/19, 11:56*
you need to remove a string of the type text-align: justify from p in the epub file in the stylesheet;

Yes, I wanted to get left alignment out of the box on existing epub files. Slightly tweaked the stylesheet - removed text-align and it worked, the standard viewer program now aligns to the left if you select this mode.
I’ll experiment with kepub a bit later. If you don’t need to do additional “squats” with this format, I will use it.
Thanks for the help and advice!

I installed a patch with hyphens and it turned out that they only work if the alignment in the viewer is across the width of the page. :)
By the way, if in the archive of the patch with hyphenation replaced in the file names ru with uk and put such an archive in .kobo - then you can get working hyphenation for the Ukrainian language (since the grammar in this regard is almost the same).

In fact, I was interested in the possibility of a regular viewer having hyphenation in the left alignment mode. But I'm afraid that I will have to use "third" programs for this (CoolReader, etc.)
Kosha-spb @ 05/18/19, 11:04*
switched from the last Kindle Paperwhite

Oh, a sore subject. I myself used Amazon-s with the Touch version. I ordered the last Paperwhite on a prepayment basis, and when I received it, I was upset that the next day I sold it to an alder. In my copy there were simply divine flashes! It was a nightmare and a fail. It's good that the one who bought it was a novice reader and probably just had nothing to compare. I slowly expect from the new Voyager 2019 the availability of an analogue of Natural Light.
Thanks for CoolReader, I'll try to install. True, I am more a supporter of Moon + Reader, that I already bought it;)

Serkuzma @ 05/18/19, 17:07*
In fact, I was interested in the possibility of a regular viewer having hyphenation in the left alignment mode.
for kepab there is such a patch.

* serkuzma,
I had everything in order with the Kindle, but I took the Clara with a coupon, compared Kobo and definitely. IMHO, of course. By the way, the battery holds much better. I also changed the memory to grade 10, I did not increase the capacity, since the existing one is quite enough

Rep: (158)
Mr. Yes, who has the opportunity and time, lay out the factory image of Clara, the original FW 4.8.10959. It is this one.

Clara seems to have 3 images: 4.7.10733, 4.8.10959 and 4.8.11090 (mentioned inMobileRead Wiki). And somehow they are not interconnected over time with purchases.
As for 4.8.11090, I have big doubts that it is factory, in my opinion, they just made a mistake on the mobile phone, it happens. And this gopher (4.8.10959) is mentioned on the first pages of this topic, and also on other resources.

How to look at the FW number when there is an image: with a hex editor (for example,by this) open IMG and search 4.8. (or 4.7.).

And it’s amusing to add to the statistics on “blood flow” not only the device number (s / n), but also the number of the factory firmware.

but picked up with a clara coupon
What is / with coupon /?
Despite the fact that the native reader supports left-justification, I could not get this feature to work in any epub book. Maybe you need to somehow format / prepare the book for this?
The "native" reader is just very supportive. But it does not support the red line, and there are generally strange settings)

Disable the inline styles and see the “native” css settings.
Attached Image

Post has been edited.qwerty - 20.05.19, 11:00

Rep: (60)
Kobo Clara HD SN-N2498400035xx
(affiliate = Kobo)

Waldy55 @ 05/20/19, 10:42*
SN-N249840
No. 249890 with 4.8 firmware also "flows". It seems that the only thing that Kobo corrected is OTC
No. 24988A - an ideal screen (I don’t know the firmware, I flipped it and threw the card away, it happened. There the card was initially buggy: the device was slow, rebooted and constantly generated errors when connected to the computer)

Although they confidently write to the mobile phone that they completely corrected this problem, but it seems to me that it simply became smaller. Far less.

Post has been edited.qwerty - 20.05.19, 11:37

What is / with coupon /

There was a coupon on ebay $ 25

* .qwerty,
Found two more images. After factory reset

SN-N2498400177xx also 4.7.10733

And :) SN-N2498500989xx - 4.8.10959
(affiliate = AmazonSpain)

I don’t know, maybe the Motherboard version is worth paying attention to. I have all 4A4.
Attached Image

kobo_clara_hd_4.8.10959.zip
2.26 GB for 8 GB micro SD

* Waldy55,
cry

So I would describe it: "phonite (flowing), infection." It’s even interesting what they will write after the briefing.

Good day!
As you know, epub books are a zip archive. If you want to reduce the size of such a book by 10-15% - you can use the following instruction:

1. Create a recompress.bat file
@if exist% temp% \% 2 rd / s / q% temp% \% 2
@ "c: \ program files \ 7-zip \ 7z.exe" x -r -o% temp% \% 2 \% 2 *. *
@del / q% 2
@ "c: \ program files \ 7-zip \ 7z.exe" a -r -tzip -mx% 1% 2% temp% \% 2 \ *. *

2. The epub book is in the directory with the bat-file. Run the command in the console:
recompress.bat 9 mycoolbook.kepub.epub

Maybe someone will be interested / useful.

p.s.
The post carries historical value faster, so as not to forget that it can be so :) I repacked xap files with a similar script when I was fond of Silverlight.
p.p.s
I was looking for an opportunity in Caliber to execute a similar script after conversion - I could not find it. IMHO, it would be great if the authors of the plugins of the epub and kepub converters added the ability to repack.

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 08/28/19, 10:32 PM