> Attention!

New threads need to be created only inroot partition! In the future, they will be processed by moderators.

Kobo Clara HD [Linux] | [6 "] [E-Ink Carta] [1448 Г— 1072] There is

Rep: (95)
Discussion Kobo Clara HD
Discussion пїЅ | Purchase пїЅ | Kobo eReader: firmware, patches, mods, Russification пїЅ
Attached Image
Appearance
Attached ImageAttached Image

Device Description: 6 "2018 Kobo Model
Specifications
Operating system: Linux
Screen Type: E-ink carta
Screen size, inches: 6"
Screen resolution: 1448 Г— 1072, 300 ppi
Touch screen: Yes
Built-in lights: Yes, backlight color temperature adjustment
Supported text formats: EPUB, EPUB3, PDF, MOBI, TXT, HTML, RTF
Supported graphic formats: JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, TIFF, CBZ, CBR
Audio support: Not
Moisture protection: Not
CPU: Freescale i.MX6 1 GHz
RAM, MB: 512
Built-in memory, GB: 8
Memory Card Support: Not
Bluetooth support: Not
Wi-Fi support: Yes
Text-to-Speech support: Not
Battery capacity, mAh: 1500
Sizes, mm (Sh x V x T): 159.6 x 110 x 8.35
Weight, gr .: 166
Features: OS and user files are located on a removable microSD-card, which makes it relatively easy to change the size of the built-in memory.
Products webpage: https://www.kobo.com/

First impressions
Side Light Problem
There is a problem:
N2498400035XX
N2498400102XX
N2498400177XX
N2498601572XX
No problem:
N249870222XXX
N249880258XXX
N249890284876
N249850098452

Post has been editedSLOTHEADS - 18.05.19, 13:22

O.P. @ 11.12.18, 22:58*
In general, it is not striking in my eyes, I will not bathe anymore.
we are talking about a jamb with lateral flashes, which was often observed after the start of Clara’s release, it’s difficult to miss:https: //www.mobileread...p=3712191&postcount=65

Rep: (0)
On the card.
In my copy was Sandisk, sort of like, 8th grade, I changed it to 32GB Transcend, bought 5 years ago. Now I changed Samsung to 10kl, it became normal. The brakes, by the way, were not when scrolling FB2, but when navigating menus, or when adjusting the brightness, for example.
Flashed on 4.11.11982, rolled cobopatches, and other utilities described inthistopic. So far without dictionaries. The only thing is that in the latest version of cobopatches, many options were renamed.
Of the patches, the fine-tuning of fonts and leading, and, of course, the landscape view, seemed especially useful.
About the backlight.
It's about a jamb with lateral flashes, which was often observed after the start of Clara's release, it is difficult to miss this:

- it is about him. A bit different than in the photo, but it seems. Narrow, filiform bright stripes along the vertical edges of the screen.

Rep: (5)
O.P. @ 11.12.18, 19:45*
I myself once again checked the possibility of working with fb2 on a couple of dozens of books.
Most can only be read theoretically. If we are talking about hundreds of pages, God forbid with illustrations and footnotes (such as a soldier Schweik), then the book slows down so that it takes 10-20 seconds to turn the page.
Twelve Caesars without illustrations (except for the cover), but with a huge number of footnotes, took a couple of minutes to turn the page. Last time, I decided that the book was frozen and rebooted.
This is not to mention that the content is only printed at the beginning of the book in the form of text, and the content is not formed in the menu.
In general, it is better not to count on reading fb2.

I don’t understand why anyone needs to read it in fb2, when almost everything is in epub and mobi. :)

O.P. @ 11.12.18, 19:45*
I saw about some (I do not remember) the reader in the review that when it was turned off, it leaves the current page on the screen. This is a very cool solution, while the book is loading, you can continue reading this page.

Kindle is not technically provided for turning off, there, when you close the cover, the book goes into sleep and when you open it, it wakes up - as a result, everything happens almost instantly and you do not need to turn off the book, which is a plus. In general, the screen occupancy in Kindle when reading Russian books is excellent, but in English with the same font size (rather large) there is an empty space below - maybe this is not such a big drawback to change it to Kobo. You will need to look at the comparison of Kindle and Clara on YouTube to understand whether I should change the reader in principle.

Rep: (616)
O.P. @ 11.12.18, 18:45*
when turned off, leaves the current page on the screen
if I don’t confuse anything, the cooler in my Kindle could do this. not only when turned off, but in sleep mode. when turned off, no one will leave, it seems to me.
Moreover, when turned on, it’s still some kind of boot animation, or a proprietary splash screen for anyone will steal everything on the screen.

Valkoran88 @ 12.12.18, 1:22*
You will need to look at YouTube comparison of Kindle and Clara
if we are still talking about empty space, then this will not make sense - in the reviews, the default settings, which look very similar to the Kindle ones. Most users change the look for themselves with the help of patches, and there you can do whatever you like, even without any margins (in the latest firmware versions, craftsmen cannot completely remove the upper margin).

Rep: (19)
Valkoran88 @ 11.12.18, 22:22*
Kindle is not technically provided for turning off, there, when you close the cover, the book goes into sleep and when you open it, it wakes up - as a result, everything happens almost instantly and you do not need to turn off the book, which is a plus.
Clara's auto-off is an additional option. You can set "never" and in this case it will only sleep and will always turn on instantly, in practice - while you open the lid.
Valkoran88 @ 11.12.18, 22:16*
I don’t understand why anyone needs to read it in fb2, when almost everything is in epub and mobi.
Surprisingly, when converting large files from fb2 to epub with the fb2epub utility, they lose in size, sometimes up to 2 times. This is if without letters and vignettes. Moreover, the illustrations do not seem to be lost. How it turns out, I don’t understand.
Elephants @ 12.12.18, 04:43*
Most users change the look for themselves with the help of patches, and there you can do whatever you like, even without any margins (in the latest firmware versions, craftsmen cannot completely remove the upper margin).
My Clara self-updated to firmware 4.10.11655. From all sides, I have 3-4 pixels of field on the eye, less does not make sense. The field on the left is so "self-made" - did not understand. On the right during the conversion I set 4 pt. To do less is uncomfortable, the shadows from the frame interfere. The box below has the full page number displayed. If you remove it, then the text is adjacent to the bottom frame without a gap. At the top, the gap is “selected” when a footnote is received in the top line - it is displayed with a slight shift upward relative to the text and there even 1-2 pixels disappear.
So from the bottom to the top, I can say, generally without margins.
Valkoran88 @ 11.12.18, 22:22*
You will need to look at the comparison of Kindle and Clara on YouTube to understand whether I should change the reader in principle.
Changing hardly makes sense if Kindle is comfortable. Unless you want to fiddle with a new toy :)
I'm painfully inventing a “reason” to buy a new laptop :)

Post has been editedO.P. - 12.12.18, 06:36

Rep: (158)
Valkoran88 @ 11.12.18, 22:16*
landscape view
At 6 "he doesn’t need nafig) However, the patch is not needed for him, add toKobo eReader.conf :
[DeveloperSettings]
ForceAllowLandscape = true

.qwerty @ 12.12.18, 18:57*
At 6 "he doesn’t need a nafig) However, the patch is not needed for him either, add to Kobo eReader.conf:
Probably only works for the latest firmware, which is for Kobo Form?

O.P. @ 12.12.18, 22:30*
only works for the latest firmware
same as patch on 4.11

In previous ones this is not implemented. And 4.11 is installed on ALL Kobo devices, except, probably, Kobo Mini. It will work on the Mini, but there is doubt that it is correct.

As for Clara, no doubt) Put 4.11 - a lot of goodies (the inversion is direct in stock (a patch is needed), the same landscape mode (which pervert will use it on 6 "is a separate issue, for pdf it is possible), etc.), and one minus, the field is a bit big on the top.

Gosh, don’t change the card, except for a feeling of deep inner satisfaction, you won’t get any benefits, you don’t read manga and pdf for 6 "I am writing as a person who did this for the first time several years ago, and still do not understand - why the heck) the presence of more than 1000 books is used well gigabytes of power)

* O.P.,
however, do not put 4.11, forKobo Firmware 12/04/12111(for all devices except Mini)

Post has been edited.qwerty - 13.12.18, 01:43

O.P. @ 12.12.18, 6:35*
Changing hardly makes sense if Kindle is comfortable. Unless you want to fiddle with a new toy :)
I'm painfully inventing a “reason” to buy a new laptop :)

Actually, yes, it has come to me now to put the font even more and the screen fillability has become optimal - I just thought that it would be uncomfortable to read with such a large font, but it turned out that for my eyes, that’s why I still leave Kindle for myself. :) But I will continue to monitor this topic and other topics with Kobo in this forum - after all, this is so far the only worthy alternative to Kindle. I had even greater hopes for a new Nook, but it turned out to be rather controversial, although not bad.

Post has been editedValkoran88 - 13.12.18, 02:25

.qwerty @ 12.12.18, 22:39*
however, do not put 4.11, for Kobo Firmware 12/04/12111 (for all devices, except Mini)
Before you put 4.12, you should probably wait for patches for it?

O.P. @ 12.13.18, 09:16*
should I wait for patches for her?
if used, no earlier than Sundays are expected. You can, of course, do the rolling / checking of patches yourself, the update does not have significant differences from the latest version, but why.

Post has been editedSLOTHEADS - 13.12.18, 09:41

O.P. @ 10.12.18, 23:15*
4. The maximum auto-off time that can be set by the patch is 240 minutes (ie 4 hours).
You can use values ​​0-255, i.e. maximum 255 minutes.

Therefore, in the patch, a maximum of 4 hours, if more, then to Kobo, so that the code is rewritten.

Post has been edited.qwerty - 13.12.18, 12:35

.qwerty @ 12.13.18, 12:27*
You can use values ​​0-255, i.e. maximum 255 minutes.

Therefore, in the patch, a maximum of 4 hours, if more, then to Kobo, so that the code is rewritten.
I already guessed it myself.
It is more relevant to make a patch with different "rulers" of time for falling asleep and off. For example, for sleep, a ruler with a choice of time in the range of 5-60 minutes, and for turning off 10-240 minutes.
.qwerty @ 12.12.18, 22:39*
one minus, the field above is a bit big. Patches are not removed.
Perhaps I'll wait to be updated.

O.P. @ 12.13.18, 20:06*
for sleep a ruler with a choice of time in the range of 5-60 minutes,
Well, put your line in the patch, your numbers, who's stopping you? Everything changes beautifully there.
O.P. @ 12.13.18, 20:06*
to turn off 10-240 minutes
The same thing, put your numbers, not more than 255 (1 byte).

For me, the patch is irrelevant, because it is set to fall asleep 5-10, but never to turn it off (if SleepCover is used)

Post has been edited.qwerty - 13.12.18, 20:54

Well, put your line in the patch, your numbers, who's stopping you? Everything changes beautifully there.
For firmware 4.10.11655 it does not work :(
Rather, its own rulers are provided: "Actual values ​​used for sleep menu" and "Actual values ​​used for power menu".
But the display of these "rulers" in both lists will be the same, because governed by one patch: "Values ​​displayed onboth menus ".
For me, the patch is irrelevant, because it is set to fall asleep 5-10, but never to turn it off (if SleepCover is used)
By this logic, the time to fall asleep is irrelevant. If using SleepCover.

Okay, all this is not important.

O.P. @ 12.13.18, 21:08*
But the display of these "rulers" in both lists will be the same, because governed by one patch: "Values ​​displayed on both menus".
You do it for yourself, remember the correct order, and the menu will have one thing.

When using SleepCover, this patch is not needed, it’s not even logic, but just common sense.

There would have been some sense in switching off after 10 hours or days, but alas, you can’t realize it in any way.

Post has been edited.qwerty - 13.12.18, 21:21

Elephants @ 01.12.18, 15:24*
defect
About the "blood flow".

I already wrote somewhere that there is no more of this problem (a jamb), 3-4 months already as there are no complaints, I think many will be interested, herepruflink
There on the last pages there is a mention of serial numbers, i.e. You can compare your serial numbers. I think it will be interesting who buys from hands or at auctions a yacht of unprecedented generosity.
And if anyone comes across this defect, then you bought the device from the first lots.

It seems to me that it will be the same with Forma, the notorious streak will just silently disappear in new batches. And there, who knows.

Rep: (0)
Most likely corrected.
N249880258XXX no longer has problems.
N2498400 ... still has.
My device is N2498601572XXX. He also had.
So, perhaps, it is worthwhile to be interested in a serial when buying. Although, the problem is treated in 10 minutes slowly.

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 09/15/19, 08:09