> Attention!

New threads need to be created only inroot partition! In the future, they will be processed by moderators.

Kobo Clara HD [Linux] | [6 "] [E-Ink Carta] [1448 Г— 1072] There is

Rep: (95)
Discussion Kobo Clara HD
Discussion пїЅ | Purchase пїЅ | Kobo eReader: firmware, patches, mods, Russification пїЅ
Attached Image
Appearance
Attached ImageAttached Image

Device Description: 6 "2018 Kobo Model
Specifications
Operating system: Linux
Screen Type: E-ink carta
Screen size, inches: 6"
Screen resolution: 1448 Г— 1072, 300 ppi
Touch screen: Yes
Built-in lights: Yes, backlight color temperature adjustment
Supported text formats: EPUB, EPUB3, PDF, MOBI, TXT, HTML, RTF
Supported graphic formats: JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, TIFF, CBZ, CBR
Audio support: Not
Moisture protection: Not
CPU: Freescale i.MX6 1 GHz
RAM, MB: 512
Built-in memory, GB: 8
Memory Card Support: Not
Bluetooth support: Not
Wi-Fi support: Yes
Text-to-Speech support: Not
Battery capacity, mAh: 1500
Sizes, mm (Sh x V x T): 159.6 x 110 x 8.35
Weight, gr .: 166
Features: OS and user files are located on a removable microSD-card, which makes it relatively easy to change the size of the built-in memory.
Products webpage: https://www.kobo.com/

First impressions
Side Light Problem
There is a problem:
N2498400035XX
N2498400102XX
N2498400177XX
N2498601572XX
No problem:
N249870222XXX
N249880258XXX
N249890284876
N249850098452

Post has been editedSLOTHEADS - 18.05.19, 13:22

A small photo comparison with Tolino Shine 3 (analogue of Clara from Tolino on Android):
The choice of e-books (Post Waldy55 # 77818330)
* Waldy55, maybe have something to add?
O.P. @ 11.29.18, 01:50*
My Clara came. Walked for two weeks.
I haven’t turned it on yet, I want to first disassemble and make a copy of the flash drive in its original state.

How? Included?
Andre13 @ 09/29/18, 17:41*
I don’t really have any impressions yet, I updated it, adjusted it, threw a few books and gave it to my wife) I didn’t see the flashes, but I didn’t drive at extreme extreme settings, and I liked the small, lightweight smart machine.

What are your impressions after a month of use?

Rep: (19)
Elephants @ 01.12.18, 07:53*
How? Included?
I decided to scratch a review like "First impressions."
1. Selection criteria.
I was looking to replace my Sony PRT-S1. The main complaints are old, there is no backlight.
Technical criteria:
- backlight with adjustable color "blue-red";
- compact size, light weight;
- expandable memory (flash drive);
- "iron" buttons;
- reading of most formats;
- audio.
Necessarily a decent manufacturer, not an ugly design.
He quickly realized that there was nothing completely under these criteria, so that he fully complied only with the first and partly second-third criteria.
2. Purchase.
Bought through eBay, a small report here:Choosing E-Books (Post O.P. # 79014595)
The book was sent about a day after payment and came from Australia to the Moscow region in about 2 weeks. However, it all depends only on the Russian post: almost simultaneously I bought a 32GB flash drive for Ali for this book, the package with the flash drive still circulates in circles between the three post offices, now approaching my city, then moving away.
Together with the book I bought their corporate cover, here is a photo from their website:
Attached Image

The box with the book was sealed, the book is completely new. Boxes with a book and a cover were wrapped in two layers of adhesive polyethylene and enclosed in a bag. Nothing was damaged on the way.
Included with the book is a drawstring "USB-microUSB" and a couple of papers.
The Quick Start Guide reads: “Turn on, hook Wi-Fi, create an account, charge a book” - not much is useful.
The second paper is even less useful: something like operating conditions in small print.
Both papers are in several languages, there is no Russian among them.
3. A feature of the book is that the SD-card in the connector inside the case acts as a memory. I decided to immediately take apart the case and download the original memory dump - in case I have to restore it. I wanted at the same time to increase the volume to 32GB, but, as I said above, thanks to the mail, the flash drive did not wait yet.
The case is not so halved. I could not release the latches with a plastic card - it bends, as a result, I disassembled it with my nails. Having already disassembled it, I realized that I could break the glass at the same time and disconnect the frame from it to get a backlight on the side. In general, you need to be more careful.
Here is the photo inside:
Attached Image

The flash drive is inserted easily, but holds tight and is removed with decent effort. In my Clara, this one is installed, rather slow:
Attached Image

4. It is interesting to compare with the old Sony PRT-S1 with a resolution of 800x600 pixels. Here is a photo without backlighting on a sheet of paper on the windowsill, I specially laid it so that the sun partially falls on the screens, and this is caused by the unevenness of brightness and color:
Attached Image

Specially selected similar fonts and line spacing. It can be seen that on the Clara screen, fewer lines are placed.
And here you can compare the resolution:
Attached Image

On the left is Sony, you can see the jaggedness, for example, on the letter "and". However, in real life everything is not at all dramatic. On such a font, the difference with the eye is almost not noticeable, unless you specifically look closely.
5. Uniformity of illumination and illumination.
I didn’t see the light at home; there are no complaints about the uniformity of the backlight. Below are two photos in the dark, with a backlight of 100% and 6%, respectively:
Attached Image

Attached Image

6. Software.
I'm trying to figure out English out of the box. I would not say that everything is intuitive.
I tried to figure out how to download books from a computer correctly. Sony has its own software forms collections on the computer, then synchronize with the reader. At Kobo, as I understand it, you simply drop everything on its internal memory, which appears as an external drive when the reader is connected to the computer with a cord. I threw it in the form of a directory system, the reader understood everything.
There are problems with navigation without buttons - you need to remember all the gestures. In the absence of a manual, you have to act by trial and error.
Normally, FB2 did not want to read the file - however, this has not been officially announced.
The regular reader does not show the footnotes in the epub file at the end of the page, you need to poke them and then return - it's not very convenient if there are a lot of footnotes in the book.
The standard cover sends the book to sleep at closing and turns it on when opened - very convenient.
It is also very convenient to adjust the backlight level by swiping along the left border of the screen. The color of the backlight, as I understand it, can be automatically adjusted according to the principle "closer to night - redder"

That's all for now. Next in line are patches, Russification, dictionaries, etc.

Post has been editedO.P. - 02.12.18, 12:29

O.P. @ 12/01/18, 17:26*
could at the same time break the glass
glass there should be fixed on an aluminum plate, does not help?
It can be seen that on the Clara screen, fewer lines are placed.
this is solved by settings and patches, for starters, you can enable FullScreenReading in eReader.conf.
I didn’t see the light at home; there are no complaints about the uniformity of the backlight.
Well, if there was a defect that I asked about, you would not have missed it. This is good, it means they really won.
Threw off as a system of directories
it’s possible as conveniently, I’m all in one currency folder so that I don’t have to do cleaning later - deleted the book in the book’s shell - the file disappeared, nothing else needs to be deleted.
There are problems with navigation without buttons - you need to remember all the gestures.
there are three gestures - to scroll left / right and up / down on the left side - brightness (turned off in the settings). Or are you talking about tap zones? In the reading settings, configure as you prefer.
you need to poke them and then come back - not very convenient if there are a lot of footnotes in the book.
in .kepub book files, footnotes open in a popup window.

P.S. Judging by the curved formatting of the fields, did you take the book from the filibust?

Post has been editedSLOTHEADS - 04.12.18, 22:18

Elephants @ 01.12.18, 15:24*
glass there should be fixed on an aluminum plate, does not help?
This is not the case. The back wall is, as it were, "surrounded" by a plastic frame that covers the ends of the book and is also a glass frame. Therefore, when disassembling, the back wall is as if taken out of the frame, while instinctively I want to press a finger on the glass, pushing through the glass everything that is inside together with the back wall. As a result, you can either damage the glass, or tear it from the frame. Perhaps these are just my troubles.
it’s possible as conveniently, I’m all in one currency folder so that I don’t have to do cleaning later - deleted the book in the book’s shell - the file disappeared, nothing else needs to be deleted.
Clear. Maybe it’s more correct. But after DOS / Windows, it's hard to stop thinking with directories :)
Judging by the curved formatting of the fields, did you take the book from the filibust?
Worse :) With Bukskafe-dot-no. This book was in some kind of non-letter format on a filibust, like in a pdf scan.
it is solved by settings and patches
Now I’ll do it. In a good way, you need some help with a description of what to put in what order.
P.S. Having hooked Wi-Fi, the book updated the software, if I look correctly, to version 4.10.11655.
Is Wi-Fi suitable for anything other than buying books in their store?

Post has been editedO.P. - 01.12.18, 17:34

O.P. @ 01.12.18, 20:27*
Worse :) With Bukskafe-dot-no.
then there is a fb2- converter>epub is just as ugly.
In a good way, you need some help with a description of what to put in what order.
get comfortable - make up)
Is Wi-Fi suitable for anything other than buying books in their store?
there is a built-in browser Home-Settings-Beta Features-Start

Post has been editedSLOTHEADS - 01.12.18, 18:59

O.P. @ 2.12.18, 0:40*
As for the patches, they work, but not everything is correct in this link:
the patch system is supported by different people, one started, the other continued, now the third. The installation method, which became the main one for the latest versions, was not such at the time of writing, however, it is also described in it:
or so
kobopatch by geek1011
read carefully, this will help to remove most of the questions.
Well, the peculiarity of files like * .yaml, in which you need to "include" the required options - everything is in English. You need to know the basics of the language, including the appropriate terminology.
uh, well, it’s logical - patches are written mainly by English-speaking people and are posted on the forum, where the communication language is English, each patch has a small description, including the meaning of the parameters and their meaning, sometimes there are links to the message on the mobilride, where the author makes explanations and screenshots , all this is advisable to read before applying
The link is no Russification for firmware 4.10
apparently.qwerty I missed this version, or it was too lazy to do it all - patches, crack, etc. - people who are interested in doing this in their free time, so you have to accept it as it is, you can, if something doesn’t suit you or you need to, ask the author to be made on the same mobilird, they usually respond.
P.S. theme patches, software, etc. it is better to discuss in the appropriate topic, this is not directly related to Clara, because Kobo software releases one for all models, with a difference in hardware platform support.

Post has been editedSLOTHEADS - 01.12.18, 23:37

So, nevertheless, instead of a regular 8 GB flash drive, I installed a new 32 GB flash drive.
Did according to the algorithm and using software, a link to which is in the header. Everything went without problems, what was on the flash drive, completely switched to a new one.
The reason for the replacement - a regular flash drive went to another book as an upgrade, where it was very old and slow at 2 GB. And now it’s kind of pointless to buy a new one less than 32 GB.
Does it make sense to replace the SD card from a technical point of view? Not so much.
Established 8 GB is difficult to completely stuff books. And if you score, then, probably, managing such a database with the help of books will not be very convenient considering the not-so-fast hardware.
Perhaps all sorts of indexing searches are partly offset by the fact that the new flash drive is faster than the old one, judging by the marking? Also not a fact. For example, the flash drive replacement did not affect the cold start, contrary to my expectations. The same for about 17 seconds.

Rep: (5)
* O.P. , did you compare this to Clara with Kindle, which is PW3? If so, please share your impressions.

Kindle I did not hold in my hands.
For me, Clara is preferable because of the adjustment of the color temperature of the backlight and a slight advantage in terms of weight and size characteristics.
Kindle, of course, is good at Russification out of the box and its services. Also a great choice, judging by the reviews.

Post has been editedO.P. - 10.12.18, 09:34

* O.P. , I have Kindle right now, but I want to experiment with Kobo. :) Although in many ways, Kindle is an excellent reader, maybe that's why you should not rush around in search of the best. I will think in general.

Valkoran88 @ 10.12.18, 17:52*
I have Kindle right now, but I want to experiment with Kobo. Although in many ways, Kindle is an excellent reader, perhaps that's why you should not rush around in search of the best. I will think in general.
Well then, "on request." A few words about Klara’s small flaws identified by the results of the week of use.
1. Backlight with adjustable light temperature is a useful thing, but the automatic adjustment of "color" from the time of day to my eyes is stupid: it is too blue during the day, too yellow at night. Perhaps I’ll put something in the middle of the constant.
2. There is no turn "portrait-landscape" mode (not found in patches), even manually. It’s not relevant for me, but on an old Sonya - it is. There is a suspicion that it will appear in the next firmware.
3. The native reader does not support “pop-up” footnotes or footnotes at the end of the page. Just go to the end of the book and back. Well, you can also convert so that the text of the footnote will be right after the link, in the middle of the sentence - I did not like it. Or after the paragraph, which is also in some cases inconvenient. I do not want to install a non-standard reader.
4. The maximum auto-off time that can be set by the patch is 240 minutes (ie 4 hours). Not enough. I read on the way to work, closing the cover, driving the book to sleep. Food from work - and the book went offline, you have to turn it on and wait for the download.
5. Converting fb2 to epub is not such trivial entertainment. Simple utilities - mostly of varying degrees of skewness with a minimum of settings. They recommend Caliber, I set it, marveled at monstrosity, so I think it makes sense to master it.

But all this is trifles and pampering by and large. I remember that Sonya didn’t soar at all without any backlighting, and I read on it in txt format until the firmware with fb2 came out. I remember how amazed to see that the book can also show illustrations. And now give everyone all sorts of letters and formatting beautiful ... :)

* O.P. ,
1. For me it’s uncritical;
2. Also uncritical;
3. Again uncritical;
4. How long does it take to turn on the reader and how much is the charge consumed in sleep mode?
5. Not critical, as Now in epub, according to my feelings, there is almost everything. :)

In general, the Kindle PW3 is a very good reader, but it has one drawback: meager reading settings. For example, you cannot completely remove the fields or make them a little smaller; you can select only 3 positions of the field size; the same goes for intervals. As a result, I get this picture (fields are minimal, the interval is average):
Attached Image

What about the settings in the regular reading room of Clara?

O.P. @ 11.12.18, 2:15*
No portrait-landscape mode
it appeared in the latest firmware, they go for the form, but people put on all devices and turn on resp. patchKobo Forma [Linux] (Post .qwerty # 78769656)
The native reader does not support pop-up footnotes or footnotes at the end of the page.
use .kepub instead of .epub and there will be pop-up footnotes and full-screen double-click illustrations.
Max Auto Shutdown Time
Why put it at all? In sleep mode, the book works for weeks, consumption is scanty, I do not remember when I turned off my own, even those that have not been used for months.
Simple utilities
look in this thread:Organizing a library on a PC / reader (Post eliy # 60309431)

* Valkoran88, Well, I directly said that for me these are also small flaws, but to some they may seem critical.
Yes, yet: for some, it may seem like a drawback to using abnormal tools (patches) to improve the capabilities of Clara's software (like other Kobos). The procedure is closer to setting parameters than to patches. There is a text template file in which you can change to set the necessary parameters, changing "No" to "Yes". Then, on the basis of this file and a copy of the firmware, the utility generates a service file, which, when copied to the book, initiates its restart and inclusion of the selected options. It is done once, then these options are used by the software book. I did it right the first time, although I'm not a very advanced user. Yes, you need to know at least basic computer-verbal terminology in English to include what follows.
Valkoran88 @ 10.12.18, 23:50*
How long does it take to turn on the reader and how much does the charge in sleep mode consume?
I have 17 seconds. Then 1-2s it takes to download the book, because with a cold restart, the book loads the main menu.
For a week of use with a constant charge when connected to a computer, I, of course, will not say anything about the discharge time. For several hours, the discharge is clearly not noticeable, but I did not look at the numbers. The elephant foot claims above that the discharge in sleep mode is very small - I see no reason not to trust.
Valkoran88 @ 10.12.18, 23:50*
For example, you cannot completely remove the fields or make them a little smaller; you can select only 3 positions for the size of the fields; the same goes for intervals.
This is important for me, I also don’t understand the 5 "image on the 6" screen. Fields and so are hard ones, in the form of a plastic frame around the screen.
Clara has it all right. After installing the necessary patches, a relatively smooth (many steps) adjustment of the fields and line spacing appears. Fields can be adjusted or everything at once, or just left and right - is determined when the patch is installed. The minimum size of the fields ... yes, almost close to the frame, it is not necessary any closer, the shadows from the frame will interfere.

Elephants @ 11.12.18, 04:43*
it appeared in the latest firmware, they go for the form, but people put on all devices
I knew it. However, I do not need it yet, so I'll wait for a regular firmware update.
use .kepub instead of .epub and there will be pop-up footnotes and full-screen double-click illustrations.
I also know this, but the family has two readers, so I use one "common" format.
Why put it at all?
I want everything to be “neat”: if the book is not used, say a couple of days, then let it turn itself off.
look in this thread:
Thanks, I'll take a look. After several experiments, I chose the old fb2epub version 1.0.30 - it very conveniently does everything with the right mouse button. And there are some settings in a text file. By the way, if you download it from a link in one of the topics, then by default the field on the right is set to 8 pixels, similar to the built-in conversion from flibusta (maybe they use this utility?) Moreover, this field easily changes even to zero again in text configuration file.
Too bad the fb2epub project seems to have died.

Rep: (0)
Also got Clara yesterday.
Bought in England at a discount, delivered a Shopaholic.
Perhaps I was not lucky, or I am more picky, but I had a noticeable light, so I had to use black tape on the recommendation of the famous American lady. It helped.
I changed the card from 8 to 32 GB, but it looks like the card got old, slow, began to slow down the interface. It will be necessary to exchange for something quick.
Native firmware 4.8.10959, quite old and not mentioned on mobilides. Until I reflash and patch.
Changing the color temperature of the backlight is a pleasant and useful thing, but not on the machine.
The rest is Kobo like Kobo.
Compared live with KPW 3 and Nook Glowlight (I can’t just name the generation). Nook both loses in picture quality and backlight, but very tactile.
The pictures are quite comparable with the Kindle. The difference is in the backlight.
From the pleasant - in the settings for the refresh rate of the screen you can select "Chapter", in the old H2O this was not.
Yes, it reads FB2 without any problems.
Overall a positive experience.

Post has been editeduriahp - 11.12.18, 11:15

O.P. @ 11.12.18, 9:50*
However, I do not need it yet, so I'll wait for a regular firmware update.
Something I doubt that there will officially be somewhere other than a form having an accelerometer. Most likely, only through the patch.
O.P. @ 11.12.18, 9:50*
I want everything to be "neat"
accepted. And for me, the reader has always been a replacement for a paper book - it opened, you read, without any downloads.
Valkoran88 @ 11.12.18, 2:50*
How much is the charge consumed in sleep mode?
Kobo’s most “devouring” one, which has a lot of complaints about - Kobo Aura One. In sleep mode, it stably consumes ~ 2% of the charge per day. At six inches with 1500 mAh you will not see this. The main expense is when using, with the backlight on, everything is individual here. It also matters which software is used - the same Cool Reader increases consumption by about two times compared to regular nickel.

Thank you all for the feedback, most likely I will change my Kindle to Clara. Unless possible problems with the backlight are worrying. I will think.

Posted on 12/11/2018, 18:56:

Perhaps I was not lucky, or I am more picky, but I had a noticeable light, so I had to use black tape on the recommendation of the famous American lady. It helped.

I understand that the problem is common for this model?

I changed the card from 8 to 32 GB, but it looks like the card got old, slow, began to slow down the interface. It will be necessary to exchange for something quick.
There is initially a 4x card in speed and I'm not sure that in principle it is possible to find a 32GB card more slowly. Or maybe the problem is connected with this:
Yes, it reads FB2 without any problems.
I myself once again checked the possibility of working with fb2 on a couple of dozens of books.
Most can only be read theoretically. If we are talking about hundreds of pages, God forbid with illustrations and footnotes (such as a soldier Schweik), then the book slows down so that it takes 10-20 seconds to turn the page.
Twelve Caesars without illustrations (except for the cover), but with a huge number of footnotes, took a couple of minutes to turn the page. Last time, I decided that the book was frozen and rebooted.
This is not to mention that the content is only printed at the beginning of the book in the form of text, and the content is not formed in the menu.
In general, it is better not to count on reading fb2.

Posted on 12/11/2018, 19:49:

Elephants @ 11.12.18, 18:26*
accepted. And for me, the reader has always been a replacement for a paper book - it opened, you read, without any downloads.
I saw about some (I do not remember) the reader in the review that when it was turned off, it leaves the current page on the screen. This is a very cool solution, while the book is loading, you can continue reading this page.

Post has been editedO.P. - 11.12.18, 20:00

Valkoran88 @ 11.12.18, 18:55*
I understand that the problem is common for this model?
I will soon have paranoia, today I have been evaluating the uniformity of illumination all day :)
It seems that if you look closely, then the standard backlight provides a faintly "spotty" color. For example, the lower corners seem to be a little bluer than the middle below. But this does not look like a flare, rather, a consequence of the alternation of blue and yellow diodes.
In real conditions, say, the subway is still more difficult. Lighting in different cars, on the platform, on the escalator of different colors and the light can come from different sides (left or right or front or from several sources). This, combined with a weak full-time illumination of the book (without it is dark in some places), can lead to the fact that, for example, the shade on the right is bluer than on the left.
In general, it is not striking in my eyes, I will not bathe anymore.

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 09/15/19, 05:31