ASUS ROG Strix GL504 (SCAR II, HERO II)
notebook: Windows 10

The forum decided to post images under the spoilerPicture

Description
Information from the official website:
https://www.asus.com/r...trix-SCAR-II/Features/
https://www.asus.com/r...trix-Hero-II/Features/

ROG Strix SCAR II
Continuing the glorious traditions of its predecessor, the ROG Strix SCAR II laptop offers all fans of first-person shooters an even more perfect combination of style and power. Its IPS display with an ultra-thin frame, 144 Hz refresh rate and low response time (3 ms) gives a high-quality picture, helping to more accurately and quickly catch the enemy in sight. A convenient keyboard features accelerated key response - Overstroke technology. To increase the coverage area of ​​the Wi-Fi module and increase the stability of the wireless signal, the multi-antenna system RangeBoost is used. The device is running Windows 10 Pro, and its hardware configuration includes the eighth generation Intel Core i7 processor and the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 10 series graphics card, for the stability of which the HyperCool Pro cooling system is responsible. The ROG Strix SCAR II is the perfect weapon for well-aimed shooters!

ROG Strix Hero II
Continuing the glorious traditions of its predecessor, the ROG Strix Hero II laptop offers all game lovers of the MOBA Arena genre an even more perfect combination of style and power. Thanks to the ultra-thin screen frame, it has become more compact, and the IPS-display with a refresh rate of 144 Hz and a wide color gamut (100% sRGB) gives a high-quality picture so that you can easily distinguish an ally from the opponent even in the hottest fight. The user-friendly keyboard boasts enhanced reliability - up to 20 million keystrokes, which is twice the industry standard. To increase the coverage area of ​​the Wi-Fi module and increase the stability of the wireless signal, the multi-antenna system RangeBoost is used. The device runs on the Windows 10 Pro operating system, and its hardware configuration includes the eighth generation Intel Core i7 processor and the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 graphics card, for the stable operation of which the HyperCool Pro cooling system is responsible. The Strix Hero II Notebook is a game to the next level!
Specifications
Processor: Intel Core i7 8750H (Coffee Lake) 2.2 GHz
Intel Core i5 8300H (Coffee Lake) 2.3 GHz
RAM: 16 GB DDR4-2666 MHz
Screen: 15.6 "IPS (LED) Matte, 144Hz
Resolution: 1920x1080 Full HD
Video card: NVIDIA GeForceВ® GTX 1060, 6144 mb
NVIDIA GeForceВ® GTX 1070, 8192 mb
Integrated Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630, 64 + 1632 MB
Sound: SonicMaster
Storage: 1000 GB HDD (5400 rpm), 128 GB SSD, Storage Type: HDD + SSD
1000 GB HDD (5400 rpm), 256 GB SSD, Storage Type: HDD + SSD

Communication: LAN 10/100/1000
Wireless: Bluetooth 5.0, WiFi (802.11 b / g / n / ac) 2x2
Ports: 3 x USB 3.1, 1 x USB Type-C, Kensington security, Line-out, Mic-in, HDMI, Mini DisplayPort
Expansion Slots: SD / SDHC / SDXC Card Reader
Additional devices: Camera 1.0 MP, LED backlight keyboard
Input Devices: Windows Keyboard, Touchpad

Case Material: Plastic
Cover Material: Aluminum Alloy
Case dimensions: 36.1 x 26.2 x 2.6 cm
Weight: 2.400 kg
Battery: Li-Ion, capacity - 4840 mAh (up to 4.0 h)

Topic Curator: Topic with no curator

Rep: (2)
* pakypc
Yes, so far I’m not happy with everything :), but I downloaded the program, I’ll try to install it later.
It’s a pity that we can’t change anything slaughtered in our BIOS, so I would limit 4 of 6 cores to turbo boost and you wouldn’t get too hot :) For games, you don’t really need many active cores, but you can’t do this from Windows :(.

Rep: (53)
DeHb @ 10.10.18, 18:04*
Yes, so far I’m not happy with everything :)

Put and admire))) Just like a circus)))

DeHb @ 10.10.18, 18:04*
For games, you don’t really need many active cores, but you can’t do this programmatically from under Windows :(.

Can. Only they will be disconnected forever. That is, you can’t change on the fly.
Sysconfig ->Boot ->Advanced options
You put a daw on "Number of processors" and choose how many cores you need. But don't forget about hyperthreading. If you need 4 cores, then choose 8 cores. Next reboot.

Post has been editedpakypc - 11.10.18, 17:15

Rep: (3)
Guys, I choose a friend between Scar 2 and MSI.

How is Asus with temperatures? Is there throttling in heavy loads on stock paste?

And how are the impressions of using

* milanetto,
I won’t say anything for SCAR II, but I can write about HERO II. With a native paste and a closed lid (display), the temperatures are excellent. Simple office work (CPU / GPU) 39/40 degrees. No coolers can be heard, maybe they turn off altogether. The maximum temperature I saw is 95 degrees CPU. But she immediately goes down to 85-88 when coolers are untwisted. On a GPU above 75 degrees have not yet seen. I work exclusively on an external monitor, the laptop is always closed. Trotting is, but not significant. Here is a screenshot of LinX v0.7.0

Screenshot
Attached Image

Rep: (1)
I would like to hear more information on temperature conditions in idle time and under load, with runoff settings, without under-holding.

* Xevarg,
Check out my post above. In idle time and during office work CPU / GPU 36-40 / 38-40.
Coolers practically do not spin, that is, the air flow is not felt to the touch.
All this with a closed display, so the temperature of the GPU is slightly higher than that of the CPU. An external monitor connects directly to the GTX 1060 bypassing the Intel GPU. All without undervolting.
What do you mean by load?

Post has been editedpakypc - 18.10.18, 19:44

Somehow low temperatures, especially with the lid closed. Very good indicator.

Good afternoon! A couple of days ago I purchased asus gl504gm, without an OS. I installed win10, downloaded the driver from the official site, but after installation the sound still didn’t work, although there is sound when the laptop starts and the logo appears! And one unrecognized device hangs in the device manager! :(
Please tell me, can other drivers from other models work or download some driver pack?

Rep: (2)
* -MALIBU-,
I also bought a laptop without an OS, everything was set apart from problems with the Aura, and now there are no questions to it either.
Try to download the driver again, I recently updated it seems to be for Reaktec'a.
If it doesn’t help then write what kind of device is unrecognized, let's see for yourself.

Rep: (5)
I have owned this laptop for a couple of months now. SCAR II i7

Chokes squeak (but I use the throttlestop program, I lower the MHz to 2200 stable. Then the squeak is almost inaudible.
When you need performance - I remove the restriction with one click, the throttles start to squeak, but the cooler also starts to “yell” due to productive tasks and the squeak is not heard, well, or I’m taking headphones / turning on the music.
I put up with a squeak, but what to do, this is observed in almost all Intel processors that are not strangled.

The sound is great when the laptop is on a hard surface, due to the direction of the speakers.

I got it, in general, on which I was counting. The biggest minus for me at the moment, well, and the only one I’m probably hard to put up with - the battery does not last even 2 full hours, it really pisses me off when there are 5-10 minutes left until the end of the film, and the battery is already empty ... (Although if the film is 90-100 minutes, then just enough.) We have to get up to charge. Here I regret a little that there is no integrated video card. But 144Hz is something, even in ordinary tasks, smoothness is noticeable.

The question is, is there any solution to reduce the power consumption of the laptop when running on battery power by at least 10-20%?

* -MALIBU-,
Here isdriverfrom sound.

Kalne @ 10.22.18, 2:54 p.m.*
Chokes squeak (but I use the throttlestop program, I lower the MHz to 2200 stable. Then the squeak is almost inaudible.

Similarly, but my lid is always closed and this hides the sound of chokes. When using battery power, there is no choke at all. Throttlestop is a chic programulin.

But 144Hz is something, even in ordinary tasks, smoothness is noticeable.

In my opinion the most useless thing))) IMHO. It would be better to set 60 Hz and reduce the price by $ 100. But the screen itself is really good.

The question is, is there any solution to reduce the power consumption of the laptop when running on battery power by at least 10-20%?

Unfortunately, on your model (SCAR II) this is not real. Your 1070 is the same "jerk." That is why I settled on HERO II. 3.5 - 4.5 hours hold. Or maybe 6)))

Post has been editedpakypc - 22.10.18, 14:33

Xevarg @ 10.19.18, 20:49*
Somehow low temperatures, especially with the lid closed. Very good indicator.

It's not my fault))) I am sitting, reading a topic. The temperatures in the screenshot. There is an undervolt at -80.
Screenshot
Attached Image

Yeah cool. What kind of softink is such a tray with temperatures, do not tell me? As a result, I myself acquired the GM501GM, but I scrutinized SCARII and HEROII for a very long time, in such a scenario I have temperatures 10 degrees higher, but I did not make the undervolt yet.

Xevarg @ 10.22.18, 17:06*
What kind of softink is such a tray with temperatures, do not tell me?

Throttlestop. She does undervolting and shows temperature. Profiles can be switched using hot keys. Intel program (IntelВ® XTU) - the bottom, compared with Throttlestop.

Xevarg @ 10.22.18, 17:06*
As a result, I myself acquired the GM501GM, but I scrutinized SCARII and HEROII for a very long time, in such a scenario I have temperatures 10 degrees higher, but I did not make the undervolt yet.

Zephyrus is certainly not bad, but it is thinner, hence the heating is greater. Play with Throttlestop, but I don’t think that drop more than 5 degrees. Maybe 2-3.

Post has been editedpakypc - 22.10.18, 16:16

* Dehb Thanks, I'll try * pakypc , Thank!
In general, everything was demolished and reinstalled, the drivers came up, the core aura earned! The unknown device itself was updated through Windows! I saw the name: some kind of wireles antenna, apparently for wifi.
Thank you all so much!

I took a laptop to work at home in the evening. The power supply did not take, I think for 2-3 hours is enough. The tasks are not difficult: one virtual machine, chrome browser (40-45 tabs), putty connected via ssh to the local Linux virtual machine, reading docks in the browser and virtual machine, editing scripts in the virtual machine, checking scripts in the browser. In short, the load is small. In the course of work, I paid attention to the battery. Here's what I got.
Battery consumption
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

I bought a version with 1060 without an OS, installed Windows, it seems to have installed all the drivers except the aura.

But I have a problem. In games with a private periodicity, the FPS drops to 10. At the same time, the temperature is normal, there is no throttling. Has anyone come across? Maybe there are not enough drivers?

Do you need to take video drivers from the nvidia site or asus?

Joker171 @ 10.25.18, 00:18*
put Windows, she herself seems to have installed all the drivers except the aura.

How to run an aura readhere

Joker171 @ 10.25.18, 00:18*
In games with a private periodicity, FPS sags up to 10

Install the latest driver through geforce experience.

Posted on 10/25/2018, 09:22:

Joker171 @ 10.25.18, 00:37*
Do you need to take video drivers from the nvidia site or asus?

Better with asus.

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 09/15/19, 2:21 p.m.