ASUS VivoBook Pro 15 N580GD | [notebook]

Rep: (6)
ASUS VivoBook Pro 15 N580GD
notebook | Core i5 \ i7 | 15.6 "| 4K \ 1080p | 8Gb RAM | m.2 SSD + 2.5 HDD
Windows 10 пїЅ | Ubuntu linux пїЅ | Change the axis of the laptop пїЅ | Search programs пїЅ | Antivirus пїЅ | Ambulance laptop owners пїЅ | Accessories | IT smoker пїЅ | Operating systems and software | Laptops, Tablets, TabletPC, UMPC, MID-Select and Compare

Attached Image

Description
A thin and light laptop with a high-performance hardware configuration, which includes an 8th generation Intel Core processor and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 graphics card. It is great for multimedia applications thanks to its 4K / Ultra-HD display with enhanced color gamut (100% sRGB color space ) and a high-quality audio system developed in conjunction with Harman Kardon.
Description withhttps://www.asus.com/
Specifications
Processor
IntelВ® Core в„ў i7 8750H
IntelВ® Core в„ў i5 8300H

operating system
EndlessOS or Windows 10.

Chipset
IntelВ® HM370 Express

RAM
2 x SO-DIMM socket, up to 16 GB SDRAM (according to ASUS website)

Display
15.6 "(16: 9) FHD (1920x1080), 60 Hz, 45% NTSC (Optional), LED backlight, matte
15.6 "(16: 9) UHD (3840x2160), 60 Hz, 72% NTSC (Optional), wide viewing angles 178Лљ, LED backlight, matte
15.6 "(16: 9) FHD (1920x1080), 60 Hz, 45% NTSC (Optional), wide viewing angles 178Лљ, LED backlight, matte

Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050, 2 GB / 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Intel UHD Graphics 630

Data store
HDD:
500 GB 5400RPM SATA
1 TB 5400RPM SATA
2 TB 5400RPM SATA
SSD:
128 GB SATA3
256 GB SATA3
512 GB SATA3

There is support for PCI-E 4x SSD nVME (my upgrade) Those. ASUS support does not guarantee the operation of nVME, they did not conduct tests.

Keyboard
Membrane, backlit

Card reader
there is

Webcam
Hd

Network
Wi-Fi 802.11 AC (2x2)
Bluetooth V4.2
LAN 1Gbps

Interface
1 x headset jack (headphone + microphone)
2 x USB 2.0
1 x VGA
1 x Type A USB3.0 (USB3.1 GEN1)
1 x Type C USB3.0 (USB3.1 GEN1) support display (DP 1.2)
1 x RJ-45 connector for wired network
1 x HDMI
1 x SD card slot
1 x Fingerprint Scanner (Optional)

Audio
ASUS SonicMaster Technology
Harman kardon

Battery
47 Wh 3 hours Polymeric

Power Supply
Output:
19 V, 6.3 A, 120 W
Type of connector: Гё5.5 (mm)
Entrance:
100 -240 V, 50/60 Hz

Dimensions
380 x 256 x 19.2 ~ 20.5 mm (L x W x H) (with 3 cell batteries)

Weight
1.99 kg with a non-touch display
2.29 kg with touch screen

Protection
Kensington Castle slot
Useful information
  • Official drivers
  • Decisionproblems with the ELAN WBF Fingerprint Sensor fingerprint scanner driver on Windows 10
  • Experiencereplacing 1080p TN with 4K IPS Pentile from a neighboring branch.
  • Searchby matrices on Panelook by similar parameters for our device (at your own peril and risk, physical compatibility was not checked).

Topic Curator: Topic with no curator

Post has been editedm4rker - 28.06.19, 20:51
Reason for editing: Added info on the type-C connector

I got this device.
With a 4K matrix. 256Gb SSD SATA. 1Tb HDD. 8Gb RAM.

First impressions - a very quick percent. I am engaged in computer graphics. Renders are almost 2 times faster than my old AMD FX-8320. 7 minutes, versus 13 on the 3dsmax + vray test scene. Toshibovsky HDD fades. Dropbox synchronization (~ 300Gb) via LAN took about 10 hours. The screw gave out 100% Active time almost all the time.
Good sound compared to the past N550JV.

Plans to upgrade:
32 GB of RAM, if supported.
Sata SSD give up on NVme (on the Internet, I did not find this experience, tech support asus says, "we have not tested this, will it work, we don’t know")
HDD also needs to be changed to something normal.

There was a problem with the fingerprint scanner (not for me alone).ELAN WBF Fingerprint Sensor appeared with an exclamation mark after the demolition of Endless OS and the installation of fresh Windows 10. Asus, on your site , buried a bunch of drivers under the spoiler, which were found only after a day. You need to install the Intel Serial IO controller driver.
Attached Image

Post has been editedm4rker - 22.09.18, 15:40

Rep: (2)
From the current problems I will add:

1. Total overheating of the laptop when working with Turbo Boost, technical support Asus is well aware of this and sends softly turned away. I assume that he will die before 1 year, well, God means to him. And he will die for sure if you do not set 99% in the power settings. That is, when buying such a laptop, expect that you yourself will reduce its performance and use it to the maximum only if necessary. This jamb is purely software, crooked bios and drivers. I think it is unlikely that they will fix it, judging by other Asus models (for the first time in my life, Asus took a laptop for myself, I use desktop Macs mostly and an old Dell laptop). Took to work in Photoshop and other special programs for working with reporting in large volumes. The screen is different from Samsung, but the brightness margin is not enough for me personally a couple of divisions for sure. SB years

2. Drivers all work differently. Until you pick up what suits you, it will take a long time. For example, I have problems setting up the work of loading discrete video. I believe that there is also a jamb of drivers, IMHO there is a distribution of GP work that does not match the settings.

3. The hard drive is certainly not the best far away. Ideally to replace ...

4. Asus, as a brand of respect, does not cause me much strength right now. Because they lie like hellish striped. The site indicates that the body is all aluminum. In fact, on my version with i5 8gen the bottom is plastic and already scratched in the second week. Although I use it on a table in an office, I carry it in a case ... Perhaps the version with i7 is completely in aluminum, but this is not accurate (as in advertising).

Detailed reviews of people have been written on Yandex Market, I agree with everyone. People still complain about the battery, but personally it doesn’t matter to me.

The sound of the laptop is excellent.

I am considering the acquisition of this laptop, I am thinking with which screen to take. In principle, full HD on such a diagonal is enough. Besides resolution, is 4K brighter / more contrasty? They used to write that in the GD-series there are only IPS-screens, but judging by the technical characteristics in the first post, there are TN-ki? Are matrix names known for store verification?

First impressions - a very quick percent.

Thank you for creating a new topic. How do you deal with heating / overheating under load?

Post has been editedYuriyOdUa - 17.08.18, 00:47

Total overheating of the laptop

I don’t understand what kind of super-overheating everyone says. In my case, the i7 is 8750H. Turbo boost during daily work will periodically boost up to 4 GHz. As soon as I load the percent by 100% with a constant task (render), only the temperature reaches 90 degrees, throttling immediately triggers and the frequency boost drops to a stable 2.6 GHz at a temperature of 70-75 degrees. With a base of 2.2 GHz for this stone.
Yes, put a more efficient cooling and power system here, the processor could constantly thresh in a 4 GHz boost, but this is still a laptop weighing 2 kg and 2 cm thick, not for that it was created.

My bottom cover is also plastic. That allows you to work with the laptop on your knees without any Ikeevsky stands, which had to be used with the old N550JV.

I agree about autonomy, I would like to be able to be untied longer from the outlet.

Post has been editedm4rker - 17.08.18, 01:35

YuriyOdUa @ 08/17/18, 00:35*
there are TN-ki?

Have not seen. While google choosing a laptop, I have not met in any store with a TN matrix (at least with i7). 1080p screens did not compare, because immediately aimed at 4K.

I have a Samsung 156FL02-101.
Attached Image

The blue channel is pulled up a little, but not critical. So far, I have not found a lack of color rendition. In the sun, I would like more brightness.

Post has been editedm4rker - 17.08.18, 00:53

Rep: (3)
M4rker @ 08/17/18, 0:37*
My bottom cover is also plastic. That allows you to work with the laptop on your knees without any Ikeevsky stands, which had to be used with the old N550JV.
but what is it about, if not secret? What are the disadvantages of the metal bottom?

What are the disadvantages of the metal bottom?

Hot feet)

Rep: (3)
* m4rker , in short, not to please everyone))) I also don’t care about the plastic bottom, but it’s directly critical for many)) and your feet are hot :) how many people, so many opinions))

I have a Samsung 156FL02-101. The blue channel is pulled up a little, but not critical. So far, I have not found a lack of color rendition. In the sun, I would like more brightness.

Thanks for the information. There is still such a question.

You wrote in the old thread that you set DPI to 200%. Everything scales correctly, no problem?
Because some specific software on a fullHD screen is not displayed in the best way (either finely or soapy). After acquiring the U500VZ, I even had to struggle with AutoCAD, there is also another non-optimized software.

Well, in toys there is still no sense in 4k permission to display, this is understandable.
When switching "on the fly" to a lower resolution, discomfort is probably possible?

* YuriyOdUa,
Autodesk has not yet correctly redesigned interfaces everywhere. For example 3dmax.
Attached Image
Not very pretty. But when you transfer from 2x24 "monitors of a stationary computer to 15", the inconvenience is felt from a smaller diagonal, and not from cropped fonts. Maya has no such problems. AutoCAD has not yet been set.

Funda Nuke, although the latest version, but the interface is not designed for hi-dpi. I had to set the forced Windows DPI scaling in the compatibility settings. It looks like you are working on a fullHD monitor.

When switching from a full-screen mode of an application with a lower resolution than the native one, part of the windows interface is not displayed correctly. In particular, tray icons. Helps Logoff \ logon.

Post has been editedm4rker - 17.08.18, 01:58

Rep: (4)
YuriyOdUa @ 08/17/18, 06:35*
I am considering the acquisition of this laptop, I am thinking with which screen to take. In principle, full HD on such a diagonal is enough. Besides resolution, is 4K brighter / more contrasty? They used to write that in the GD-series there are only IPS-screens, but judging by the technical characteristics in the first post, there are TN-ki? Are matrix names known for store verification?

In the market, one who bought with FHD said that his screen was "auo61ed."

m4rker, overheating is normal, the front of the laptop literally heats up, the heating is very high, the load is at a temperature of 88-100 degrees and even at 100 degrees it works normally, without "braking" (strong throttling). You can watch the load in the game, turn on the game and play for 15 minutes, the heating will be colossal! But I disconnect Turbo and in general I am not disappointed in performance because of shutdown. But playing will NOT work on this laptop in normal (normal) mode without degrading performance. If you play like that, then I think about three months a laptop will last, and then it will bend.

You can say as much as you like that the laptop is not gaming and so on, but this is not an excuse at all, there is a computer, it should work on all the hardware, in this case it does not work on all the hardware. In other tasks, the same picture occurs when I overtake in special software, incl. in the same Photoshop 300-500 RAW in jpeg the heating in full performance is the same goes high. Moreover, I note that Intel gives in the specification that 100 degrees is the threshold for i5 and for i7, in my opinion, too.

So yes, when working in office applications, the temperature is 45-70 maximum, normal, but there is no comfort in everything else, it gets very hot. There is still hope for a driver and a new BIOS.

In general, I personally like the laptop, UHD at 200 scaling I am not comfortable for the eyes, set 235-250. More or less, but it depends on the vision and perception of the person, here to each his own. There is no optimization of programs for UHD, or Win.

* snipergpl
let's be more specific. With examples. Do you have i5?

I tested on a toy.
Attached Image

The processor is in the region of 90-95 degrees. Vidyakha about 85. A single, percent, and video card warm each other. For the GPU, the temperature is quite normal. My old desktop GTX 670 also warms up under load.
Prots, probably too much, is not yet clear. On the N550JV was 4700HQ, dangling under load in the region of 85-90 degrees. He also lived a long time until he was stolen.
On the "colossal" heating, IMHO, does not pull.
A couple of months will pass, I think I’ll probably take off the CO, try to change the thermal paste.
The case on top naturally heats up, the bottom cover is not very hot. It does not give me discomfort.

In another topic, I laid out all the screenshots, and above I wrote in what tasks what temperature and what how it heats. Your calculations generally confirm that the processor’s heat is not normal, that is, something doesn’t work programmatically. On the Intel website, look that 100 degrees is the threshold, and it’s clear to anyone that if the percentage of 100 is heated, then this is not good and is not right.

It's just that people should know which jambs will pop up here after the purchase. I wrote about my impressions and identified jambs of this model, took it to work with Photoshop, a large amount of photo materials in raw materials. In support of writing a week, the reaction is zero (except for unsubscribes), also laid out in another topic on VD that they said that warming up to 100 degrees is like normal. Yeah, yes, let the grandmother tell the tales normally. If you play for two months on a laptop or do some kind of installation, when it heats up like this, and CO does not cope with pumping out, I think that every two months it will be necessary to open it precisely and it will be necessary to change the paste, but I personally determined for myself, how much will live, how much will live, let it work under load, since 100 degrees is normal with incl. those. support :)

Copy of Asus answer:

"You know, I'm afraid I’ll say it’s normal.
Modern processors very quickly go into boost mode and heating to 90C is the norm, with the caveat BUT
you write: “the laptop heated up sharply when surfing” on the Internet, a lot of scripts work on flash, HTML5, in terms of processing various graphic modules of games built into the browser, all this very much loads the processor, not text pages.
In this regard, users with a large number of banners and videos on fLASh, who require the constant use of the processor, and as a result of its heating, are experiencing the main problems.
Thus, as a possible solution, it is recommended to check the load on the CPU when surfing, you will see what the CPU loads, it does not heat up by itself.

As for AIDA, it is obvious that as a load test it will heat it up to the highest possible temperature, this is basically not normal and is not recommended, since in general this is not a normal mode of the device, during normal use the processor is not constantly used 100% , This is true, for example, for mining video cards, which as a result have a limited warranty.

Thus, check the processor operating modes and its dependence on the load; in games, the bulk of the load still falls on the GPU. which together give a lot of heat, but according to information from the manufacturer, the system has overheat protection including the same trotting, which turns on preventing the device from malfunctioning and ensures the processor and all its power within the entire temperature range in the developer's specification - up to 100C . "

* snipergpl
that's why I talked about specific data so as not to procrastinate that "I consider this to be normal," "but I am not normal." I didn’t see it in another topic, I looked there only for questions of interest to me.
Let's see what happens in six months, a year.

Snipergpl @ 08/17/18, 08:15*
You can say as much as you like that the laptop is not gaming and so on ...

I read the tests of different gaming laptops (MSI, ASUS, etc.), light and thin models also heat up to 90-95, even 98 (in peak) degrees on 8-generation 6-core i7 processors.
I don’t like it either, but, apparently, now this is the norm in the industry. The development of CO is not keeping pace with the development of processors.
My U500VZ in games heats up to a maximum of 80-82, but there i7 3632QM, a thermal package of 35 W and max. frequencies in a turbo boost on 4 cores - 2.8-2.9 GHz. And the cooling system is visually the same)
True, such heating should still not be with everyday use, browsing, etc.

YuriyOdUa @ 08/18/18, 13:59*
I do not like it either

I watched the Linus TechTips review of the Razer Blade 2018, with a 8750H processor. There, vapor chamber РЎРћ, copes with the Intel 8750H in boost and with the GTX 1070. True, it costs $ 1900 for the younger model with a 1080p matrix.

M4rker @ 08.21.18, 07:10*
Razer Blade 2018

An interesting car, but I would like with a digital keypad, and I personally do not like the appearance in dark color (although I need to watch it live). And the cooling system is good there, yes.

Rep: (202)
* snipergpl
If it burns out under warranty, and even at its end, consider the jackpot for you. But if a little later, as in the N550 series? 100C is an overwhelming amount if you drive like this for hours, about 10 minutes where you haven’t gone once every few days. Asus lies that this is the norm. TJmax was never the norm, the norm was always -20C before it.

Sw-777 @ 08.21.18, 17:13*
How about the N550 series?

I had a kakraz N550JV. He lived for 5 or more years, and was not going to burn, but they stole it with his backpack from the car. The battery began to hold out for about an hour and a half. And I rendered them both in 3Dmax and after effects. Igruhi did not drive.

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 08/28/19, 11:09 PM