Dell G5 / G7 15 - Discussion | [notebook] Windows | 15.6 "| Intel® Core ™ i7-8750H | 16GB RAM

Rep: (11)
DELL G5 / G7 15
Discussion | Buying and Accessories

Attached Image

Specifications
Features may contain various combinations of the following:

CPU:
8th Generation Intel® Core ™ i5-8300H Processor,
8th Generation Intel® Core ™ i7-8750H Processor,
8th Generation Intel® Core ™ i9-8950HK Processor in G7 only.

Hard disk and SSD:
1 TB hard drive, 5,400 rpm,
256 GB solid state drive,
Configuration with two drives: 128 GB solid-state drive and 1 TB hard drive (5,400 rpm),
Configuration with two drives: a 256 GB solid-state drive and a 1 TB hard drive (5,400 rpm),
Configuration with two drives: a solid-state drive with a capacity of 512 GB and a hard disk with a capacity of 1 TB (5,400 rpm) only in G5.

Graphics adapter:
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 with 4 GB GDDR5 video memory,
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti with 4 GB GDDR5 video memory,
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060, developed using NVIDIA® Max Q design technology, with 6GB GDDR5 video memory.

Display:
Full HD (1920 x 1080) display with support for IPS technology, anti-reflective coating and LED backlighting,
Ultra HD resolution display (3840 x 2160) with IPS technology support, anti-reflective coating and LED backlight.

RAM:
8GB, 1x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz,
16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz.

Ports and connectors:
1x HDMI 2.0
3x SuperSpeed ​​USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A including 1 with PowerShare
1x Thunderbolt ™ 3 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C ™ with support for 40 Gbps Thunderbolt and DisplayPort)
1x Noble lock slot
1x 2-in-1 SD (UHS50) / MMC, RJ-45
1x Headphone / Mic
additional information
Body:
Built-in widescreen webcam with HD resolution (720p) and bi-directional digital microphone,
Body color:
G5 is matte black or bright red, G7 is black or alpine white,
Full-size, water-resistant keyboard with red or white for the G5 and blue for the G7 backlight and number keypad.

Dimensions:
Height 24.95 mm (0.98 ") x width 389 mm (15.32") x depth 274.7 mm (10.82 "),
G5 weight: 2.61 kg,
Weight: G7 2.63 kg.

Audio system:
2 tuned speakers with Waves MaxxAudio® Pro sound processing,
1 combo stereo headphone or microphone jack.

Wireless connection:
802.11ac + Bluetooth 5.0 dual band wireless adapter, dual band 2.4 & 5 GHz, MU-MIMO / 160Mhz, 2x2.

Nutrition:
4-cell battery (built-in) capacity of 56 Wh.
Additional live photos
G7-15 white
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

Reviews
Useful posts, articles and recommendations
Disassembling G5 and replacing thermal paste with liquid metal.
Dell G5 / G7 15 - Discussion (Post by ShnepS # 76051680)
The experience of replacing the matrix.
Dell G5 / G7 15 - Discussion (Post by ShnepS # 76524570)
Windows does not see the second hard disk - the solution.
https://remontka.pro/no-2nd-hdd-windows/
The problem with installing a discrete video driver is a solution.
Dell G5 / G7 15 - Discussion (Post by Xadjit MPower # 76084555)
Underwriting articles.
https://hackware.ru/?p=6320
https: //www.reddit.com...boost_and_you_getting/
Creating a DELL System Recovery Image
Dell G5 / G7 15 - Discussion (Post by carter54 # 81112377)
A list of famous matrices that suit our laptop one way or another.
Dell G5 / G7 15 - Discussion (Post by eugenekoiner # 81250223)
Replacing FullHD matrix 4K
Dell G5 / G7 15 - Discussion (Post by paparazzo # 82584264)
Instructions on how to enable Command Rate = 1 for RAM.
Dell G5 / G7 15 - Discussion (Post MultiRW # 83042135)
The recommended procedure for installing software and drivers on Dell laptops
https://www.dell.com/s..or.in.order?lang=en
Experience with trotting from colleagues sanekxpmail.
Dell G5 / G7 15 - Discussion (Post by sanekxpmail # 83187674)
Instructions for those who "lays, heats, does not work"))) from a colleague eugenekoiner
Dell G5 / G7 15 - Discussion (Post by eugenekoiner # 81299485)
Connect to 4k monitor
Dell G5 / G7 15 - Discussion (Post by berbs # 80947766)
Intel XTU multiplier reduction
Dell G5 / G7 15 - Discussion (Post MultiRW # 84718988)
Disable auto update of selected drivers.
Dell G5 / G7 15 - Discussion (Post by Denis1121 # 80072561)
Unlock hidden Windows power settings.
Dell G5 / G7 15 - Discussion (Post elektrikons # 85240722)
Audio Driver Installation Instructions
Dell G5 / G7 15 - Discussion (Post Evengard # 85526408)
Elimination of clicks when connecting external speakers
Dell G5 / G7 15 - Discussion (Post lpg443 # 86801742)
Installing the driver on the integrated video card
Dell G5 / G7 15 - Discussion (Post AevaStyleLol # 85015938)
Article about liquid metal
https://m.habr.com/en/en/post/374331/
It is recommended to download the driver for video cards from the manufacturer’s site (NVIDIA, Intel), and not the DELL site.
Breakaway latches on the side of the bolt are not latches, but safety lugs that play the role of a seal and indicate whether the laptop has been opened or not.
When powered only from the battery, the laptop does not operate at full capacity even when selecting the "high performance" profile.
If you forgot your BIOS password, you can unlock it by entering your service tag.

If you need to add something to the header, please send it to me (the author of the topic) in the PM.

Post has been editedDVAnfimov - 11.08.19, 08:41

Rep: (14)
* elektrikons , okay, okay ... While the voltage on the crusts is 1.2 volts, the temperature creeps up to 100 degrees, just as it drops to 0.9 volts, it immediately becomes 80 degrees ...

Rep: (51)
Sanekxpmail @ 03/10/19, 19:59*
Well, it all depends on the graphics and its load per percent ... I have 80 percent subway load.

Well, you still have 1060, you can afford to raise the schedule :)
In any case, I am glad that I managed to achieve the desired result: party:

Can anyone tell me how to set the Turbo Boost Short Power Max parameter to 45W, through the command to start XTU at login?
Attached Image

* MultiRW , tell me which team we put turbo boost in idle mode? I put a check in the BIOS, Windows starts up and writes to xtu that it is turned off.

Post has been editedsanekxpmail - 10.03.19, 20:27

Rep: (384)
* sanekxpmail , not understood...
We did not turn off turbo boost by the team, in xtu the setting is just gray. If frequencies are understood above 2.2 GHz - turbo boost is on.
Sanekxpmail @ 03/10/19, 8:21 PM*
through the command to start XTU at login
You can register in the BIOS.

Post has been editedMultiRW - 10.03.19, 20:42

* MultiRW , but now gray in xtu, disable is written in the sidebar and if you reboot into the BIOS there are no checkmarks, but the frequencies freely rise to 3.9 GHz. Is it related to our unlock?

Rep: (384)
Sanekxpmail @ 03/10/19, 8:45 PM*
Is it related to our unlock?
Not sure, maybe. The main thing is that in fact the frequencies go up.

Rep: (37)
will anyone then be able to arrange the results of manipulations with the bios in one message? Then I would throw it in a hat so as not to get lost.

Rep: (2)
Good day!

take in the ranks! took g5 which on the i5-8300H c 1050.

Dopus added + 8GB (there was one module for 8) + 240 m2.

at first he was very disappointed with the strong heating and, accordingly, the constant throttling ...
but after reading the forums (including this branch), it was possible to achieve a stable 3.7 GHz at a temperature not exceeding 90 g. idling the pace is in the region of 35-40 gr!

-0.155V and Turbo Boost Short Power Max Enable in Disable

before that throttle threw off the frequency to 3.1 and the temperature climbed to 100. in idle time in the region of 60g.

and in the back part at the corners I glued two rubber legs 1.5 cm high
Well, while I do not plan to change the thermal interfaces under warranty

test mostly aida

now happy as an elephant!

Post has been edited_LiRiK_ - 11.03.19, 08:28

Guys, as you know, I am also a beginner with my Dell here ... I start to delve into and understand.
Tk not only played, but also mastered windows 10. For me it is also a novelty. Have questions:
1) The header provides instructions on how to install Windows cleaned from garbage, etc. So it makes sense to bother with this? Did someone reinstall it on that version? Are the benefits tangible?
2) I’m thinking about undervolting ... Tk in the witcher has a temperature of 90 .. I have 52-60 in idle time.
The question is, which program is better than XTU or ThrottleStop? I have an i5 8300 processor.
3) Is there any instruction on my undervolting process? Applied values ​​for voltage? Or just an experimental method and nothing else?

Rep: (1)
* vovchik-bald Hello about the OS. I have the usual Pro version, that "clean" version is called LTSC and it is intended for the corporate sector. As for me, it makes no sense to bother with reinstalling to LTSC because The pro version is enough with your head, especially if you will use UWP applications from the Microsoft Store, like me, then just use the version that is because these applications and the store are not in the "clean" version.

Posted on 03/11/2019, 11:28:

* vovchik-bald , and something else. Some people use the clean version because they are afraid of tracking and telemetry from the MS, and it is disabled in LTSC, although to whom did we give up our data?) In addition, the clean version, according to those who installed it, eats less resources than the Pro version, there are all the differences end with her.

* Zholik_97, ok, then the question about Windows is removed. I have it about, but clean and fresh ... I will not reinstall

Rep: (1)
* vovchik-bald , most importantly, just switch the update channel from Semi-annual (Targeted) to just Semi-annual since the second branch is intended for organizations, which in turn makes it possible to install more stable updates compared to the first. You can find the setting in the CH, additional parameters.

Rep: (3)
* Zholik_97 , MS Store can be manually put on LTSC.

Rep: (202)
Here are just VP9 hardware will not plow in browsers under LTSC. Under LTSB there will be others.

* _LiRiK_, and what program did you use to adjust the voltage?

Rep: (32)
Zholik_97 @ 03/11/19, 11:23*
although to whom we give up with our data

This is not the only point. Alas, telemetry really loads the computer, primarily the disk subsystem (which leads to faster wear of the SSD) and elevated temperatures.

Vovchik-bald @ 03/11/19, 19:10*
and what program did you use to adjust the voltage?

intel XTU + autorun scripts - actually nothing complicated, there are links in this header + everything is very easy to google according to the word undervolting - a carriage and a cart of all kinds of manuals and vidos with chewing, etc.
more time is spent searching for stable settings ... the Internet is full of reviews ... someone managed to throw off -0.190v, while someone only managed to -0.050. someone as lucky.

I dropped to -0.165. It was relatively stable in tests. But in Starcraft2 an artifact crawled out in the center of the screen. rose to -0.155 - a normal flight for a week.

regarding the windows: put vin10pro 1809 yourself_ you know_from_here_ taken;) - the flight is normal. about all kinds of telemetries and the like there - I’m not bothered, I’m not James_Bond_007 or our_All_Favorite_President_RF_VVP;)
how many resources does it eat? - Nuno ... right up to the holes, the whole ssd got wiped out! : D

Post has been edited_LiRiK_ - 11.03.19, 18:26

* _LiRiK_, and what are startup scripts?
About xtu in the header it seems to be described in the article ... I think I will read the time

Rep: (0)
He did undervolting in throttle stop at -0.125, but the frequencies in games constantly jump from 3.6 to 1. Who will tell you how to achieve a constant frequency without throttling? Even in a simple temperature, the temperature holds about 60 degrees, I do not really like it.

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 09/16/19, 06:17