> Attention!

New threads need to be created only inroot partition! In the future, they will be processed by moderators.

Kobo eReader: firmware, patches, mods, Russification

Rep: (152)
Kobo: firmware, patches, mods, Russification

Devices:
  • Original touch (N905 / N905B) 2011, June
  • TouchLC (Low Cost N905C) 2013, January
  • Mini (N705) September 2012
  • Glo (N613) September 2012
  • Aura hd (N204B) 2013, April
  • Aura (N514) 2013, September
  • Aura H2O (N250) October 2014
  • Glo hd (N437) May 2015
  • Touch 2.0 (N587) September 2015
  • Aura Edition 2 (N236) August 2016
  • Aura ONE (N709) August 2016
  • Aura H2O Edition 2 (N867) May 2017
  • Clara hd (N249) 2018, June
  • Forma (N782) 2018 October
Identifying your Kobo device

Firmware:
The latest firmware for your device can be obtained here:
https: //geek1011.githu…tuff/kobofirmware.html

At the time of writing the material is relevantFW 4.7.10413

Installation Procedure:
  1. Download archive
  2. Extract the zip archive (KoboRoot.tgz, manifest.md5sum and the upgrade folder) to the folder.koboon your device
  3. The device automatically reboots (the charge of the device must be at least 20%)
Wi-Fi Update: at Kobo step update, by branch, see which branches are being updated at the moment (other affiliates) and prescribe the one you need in .kobo / Kobo / affiliate.conf
(here and hereafter: all edits are made by the editor with the Unix line feed format - AkelPad, Notepad ++, etc.).

You can prescribe:
[General]
affiliate = beta

affiliate = fnacwill register the logo of this branch on the screen saver when sleeping,= rakutenbookswill enable PIN locking.

Full listfirmware Kobo and patches for them (Patching instructions):
https: //wiki.mobilerea...Kobo_Firmware_Releases

Patches:
Index (index, list):
https: //www.mobileread...howthread.php? t = 297008

General Summary Topic:
https: //www.mobileread...howthread.php? t = 260100

Full list of Kobo firmwareand patches for them (Patching instructions):
https: //wiki.mobilerea...Kobo_Firmware_Releases

Install on Windows, Linux or macOS:
  1. Download archivepatch_kobo_profile number.zipand extract the folder from itpatch_kobo_ firmware_number
  2. Copy the firmware for your device into a subfolderfirmware_source_number /(without unpacking).
  3. View and edit in a subfolderfirmware_source number / * .patch files- they can include the necessary(patch_enable = 'yes')or disable unnecessary(patch_enable = 'no')patches; and also change some preset values ​​for a specific device and / or their preferences.
  4. In Windows, double-click the file.firmware_number.batmouse; in Linux / Mac, open a terminal, go to the folderpatch_kobo_ firmware_number /and run the file./product number.shfrom the command line.
  5. If there are no errors, copy the resulting file.KoboRoot.tgzfrom subfolderstarget_flash_number /to folder.koboon your device.
  6. Safely remove and disconnect your device from the computer; after that, it will be immediately updated and rebooted.
To return the device to its original state, flip it, or edit all files.firmware_number / *. patchby disabling patches (install allpatch_enable = 'no') and repeat steps 4-6 of the above instructions.

or so
kobopatch by geek1011

With the help of patches and partly tweaks, you can fully customize the book for yourself, beloved. Change the menu by adding, changing or deleting items you do not need; adjust text display; customize the keyboard; disable the update; and so on and so forth. Kobo is the only eReader to do this.
Attached Image
Attached Image

Tweaks (hidden options):
In file .kobo / Kobo / Kobo eReader.conf we add in section:

[FeatureSettings]
ExportHighlights = true(The ability to export quotes to a text file will appear)
FullScreenBrowser = true(Browser full screen)
FullScreenReading = true(In the settings, it will be possible to disable the footer / header). Since FW 4.11.X is irrelevant.
InvertScreen = true(Includes inverse (white on black) reading mode)
MyWords = true(Includes the ability to save the words you searched for in the dictionary in a separate list)
Screenshots = true(Screenshots, made by the power button or the backlight button, are saved in the root)
SmartShelves = true(Automatic creation of collections. You cannot edit the created collections. If you use Calibre or AutoShelf to create collections, DO NOT include this tweak) It does not work in recent FW versions.
SketchNote = true(It includes the ability to draw, take notes in a readable book. I don’t really understand why this is necessary, except for the owners of Mark 6 and Mark 7, who have cut Beta Features, including Sketch Pad, but this is a possibility)
ParentalControls = true(It disables web access and the store should, by logic, save battery. Extra items are removed from the menu).

[Reading]
disableQuickTurn = true(Disables the ability to quickly scroll pages)

[DeveloperSettings]
ForceAllowLandscape = true
(Landscape mode)
AutoUsbGadget = true(Auto connection - no need to poke once again when USB is connected, it is recognized / connected immediately, without confirmation)

[PowerOptions]
UnlockEnabled = true
Adds / removes unlock screen (Swipe to unlock)

To disconnect= false

Registration bypass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJgRS1c5jFc

Faster to register an account Kobo / Rakuten, you can use any temporary mail service, for example, crazymailing.com/ru/

Russification:
Russification FW 4.15.X

Russification FW 4.14.X

Russification FW 4.13.X

Russification FW 4.12.X

Russification FW 4.11.X

Russification FW 4.9.X

Russification FW 4.8.X

Russification FW 4.7.X

Russification FW 4.5.X

Installation Procedure:
In file.kobo / Kobo / Kobo eReader.confregister in section[ApplicationPreferences]
CurrentLocale = C
ExtraLocales = en

To copyKoboRoot.tgzto folder.koboon your device, the device will automatically reboot.

When updating the firmware, you will get an increased letter spacing, this is because of the stock Japanese fonts.
Solution: remove them (below) or re-Russify (there is a substitution).

Also, if you wish, you can play around with the font size of the menu.

The font size for Large Print is included in
[ApplicationPreferences]
LargePrintFontScale = 1.5

Default Large Text = 1.5
If you set = 1.1, for example, the menu looks better for my taste and color.

Mod to automatically create collections (shelves):
https: //www.mobileread...howthread.php? t = 254554

CopyKoboRoot.tgzto folder.koboOn your device, the device will automatically reboot (charge eReader at least 20%).

Random Screensaver Image
Its picture instead of the book cover in sleep mode or off.

cry

Kobo Night Mode

Landscape mode
Attached Image
Starting with FW 4.11.11980 on all devices is enabled by patchEnable rotation on all devices or in file .kobo / Kobo / Kobo eReader.conf .

Kepub:
Kepub is Kobo's own unique e-book file format, an ePub variation.

Benefits:
  • Faster response to page rotation and text selection.
  • Support pop-up footnotes.
  • Double tap enlarges the image.
  • Shows the amount of time remaining until the end of the book, chapter.
Negative traits:
  • Shows the title of the book in the title (does not turn off or patch).Fixed, starting from FW 4.11, the header can be removed, a side effect - increased margin top (indent from the top).
  • Rendering Kepub adds and stretches the distance around the dash (en dash and em dash), straight speech looks disgusting.
A utility to convert epubs to kepubs:
https://geek1011.github.io/kepubify

It works both with one file and with a group.

Convert fb2 ->epub / kepub

Fonts:
Installing your device on your device fonts: create the folder 'fonts' (or 'Fonts') in the root of the device. Copy your fonts, reboot the device.
Attached Image

cry

Transfers:
https: //www.mobileread...id=161025&d=1514537779

KoboRoot.tgzto folder.kobo

For kepub include patch'Set KePub hyphenation'(libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch).

Correcting letter spacing in pop-up windows:
Remove 2 Japanese fonts:
KBJ-UDKakugoPr6N-M.ttf
KBJ-TsukuMinPr6N-RB.ttf

If you have Cool Reader installed, you can do it in the File Manager or by connecting via WiFiServer, the folderusr \ local \ Trolltech \ QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm \ lib \ fonts

Side effect: “squares” will appear in the list of languages ​​instead of “Japanese”.

Actually, you can delete all those fonts that you do not use that you do not need(except Georgia) .

You can also usepatch, choosing the font you need (Georgia or another, your preferred one), size, style, and so on.

Dictionaries:
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Installation(very detailed, with pictures, patch description and necessary changes in sqlite and Kobo eReader.conf)
  • d1 Explanatory Dictionary T.F. Ephraim
  • d2 Great Encyclopedic Dictionary
  • d3 Great Soviet Encyclopedia
  • d4 English-Russian dictionary Muller
  • d5 Russian-English dictionary
Download

Attached fileApresyan (En-Ru) .zip(13.33 MB)

more dictionaries

+
Babylon English-Russian
Dahl's Russian Dictionary (Dahl Dictionary)
Efremova (New Dictionary of the Russian Language. Explanatory Word Formation)
English-Russian Lingvistica'98 dictionary
Great Encyclopedic Glossary (Great Encyclopedic Dictionary)

cry

+
Barkhudarov S.G., Protchenko I.F. and Skvortsov L.I. (Editors). Large spelling dictionary of the Russian language (Rus - Rus)
Large dictionary of foreign words
Large modern explanatory dictionary of the Russian language (Explanatory)
Large legal dictionary
Design. Glossary (Rus-Rus)
Evgenieva A.P. (Ed.) Dictionary of the Russian language in 4 volumes (Rus - Rus)
Linguistic Encyclopedic Dictionary (Ru-Ru)
Medical Dictionary
Financial Dictionary
Thesaurus of Russian business vocabulary
Dictionary of Ozhegov and Shvedovoy
Explanatory Dictionary Ushakov
Economic Dictionary of Terms
Etymological dictionary of the Russian language by Max Vassmer

cry

Keyboard:
You can turn on the Russian keyboard by writing in.kobo / Kobo / Kobo eReader.confin section[ApplicationPreferences]
CurrentLocale = en_US
ExtraLocales = en

and choosing'Extra: _ru'atSettings->Language and Dictionaries

However, in the latest firmware it looks skewed to the right, and it is better to use the patch.Geoffr 'but 'Cyrillic Keyboard' .

If you rigged the device:
First, try resetting to factory settings:

Option I
  1. With a paperclip, press the reset button in the small hole near the USB port.
  2. As soon as the square boot icons appear on the screen, press reset again.
  3. Repeat point 2 two more times. The screen will turn black and a critical error message will appear on it.
  4. To completely reset the device, click the check mark at the bottom of the screen.

Option II
  1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the power button.
  3. Click with two fingers at the same time on both lower corners of the screen until the book starts to perform a factory reset (it is possible that you have to try several times).

Reset Aura One, Aura Edition 2 & Aura H2O Edition 2
  1. Connect your device to a power source by doing one of the following:
    • Connect the included USB power cable to your computer and then your device.
    • Connect the charger (not included) to an electrical outlet, and then connect the eReader to the charger.
  2. Press and hold the power button until the power indicator on the upper right corner of the reader turns off.
  3. Release the power button.
  4. Press and hold the power button on the reader for 30 seconds.
  5. Wait until the recovery screen appears.
  6. Release the power button. The screen of the reader will turn black and the recovery process will begin. After the process is complete, follow the on-screen instructions to set up the eReader. You need active Wi-Fi access or an Internet connection to complete the installation. You can also use the Kobo Desktop application to customize the reader using a computer.

Disassembling and replacing the SD card:
Increase the internal memory of KOBO readers
The link is necessary to record and install the resulting image of the program, you can also use:

Flash Drive Image Creator ( Download v1.0)
Create an image.

Flash Drive Image Writer ( Download v1.0)
Burn the image to sd-card.

You can replace the serial number in the image (it is usually filled with zeros or X) with your hex editor (for example,Hxd), offset 0x200.
After you record the image, collect and run the device, I would recommend to reset the settings to the factory settings.

Kobo Touch N905, Aura, Aura ONE, Aura H2O Edition 2 and Forma havefixed memory module.

Where to get the image of the SD card?

Cool Reader:

KOReader for Kobo:

Plato - a document reader for ePUB, FB2, PDF, DjVu, etc.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

https: //www.mobileread...howthread.php? t = 292914

Supported devices:
  • Forma
  • Clara hd
  • Aura Hв‚‚O Edition 2
  • Aura Edition 2
  • Aura ONE
  • Glo hd
  • Aura hв‚‚o
  • Aura
  • Glo
  • Touch c

Installing KOReader & Plato "in one click":

Launch KOReader & Plato via fmon:
cry

Recovery of CoolReader (KOReader, Plato) after updating the Kobo firmware:
1) If fmon (kfmon) was used to run:
Attached fileKoboRoot.zip(402 bytes)
(rename to KoboRoot.tgz)

2) If KSM (Kobo Start Menu) was used for launch:
KBStartMenu_09_restore
(extract from archive KoboRoot.tgz)

Authordoes not recommenduse this package forClara hd and Forma , as not intended for these models.

Post has been edited.qwerty - 12.06.19, 16:31
Reason for editing: Russification 4.13 + 4.14 + 4.15 + new tweaks + corrected links to the deceased the-ebook.org to links from the web archive.

Rep: (-2)
$ root / plato / plato.sh
cmd ->
mkdir e: \. addons

mkdir d: \ .a - google how to create a folder with a dot. the error was in the gap
My book shows d; cmd ran from admina, mkdir d: \. addons, cmd swears, they say, error, this folder is already there. I go to the book with oil and not addons. I accidentally went to drive C, I see that the addons folder is there. What did not understand what. Okay, now reluctant to mess around, tomorrow I will continue to torment Koba.

Post has been editedalber1211 - 13.03.19, 21:03

Rep: (0)
Tell me a normal pdf reader or maybe there is a normal pdf- converter>epub for Clara HD. Now pdf opens with large indents and the font is small

Who is missing the file manager:

Kobo Web Portal Mod: FileManager / Notes / ServiceMenu

Attached Image
Attached Image

Called in browser:http: // webportal /Can set home page.

If you wish, you can edit .addons \ webportal \index.html to your taste and color (putting instead of mobilereadsavagemessiahzine.cometc. etc.)

To delete create .addons / webportal /uninstall and reboot the device.

ZY Only viewing the file system and downloading files, editing, etc. is not available. So in fact there is little point in it.

Post has been edited.qwerty - 14.03.19, 12:57

Rep: (233)
Only viewing the file system and downloading files, editing, etc. is not available. So in fact there is little point in it.
Even copying from folder to folder is impossible?

* Sylvia
There is nothing impossible in essence, only viewing and downloading (from a home network, for example). I therefore did not post this link, but you never know, suddenly someone needs it.

In the service menu, formatting the external card, if available, and viewing information about the device. Notepad for notes.

Good day.

Help determine the model of the book.

The case is n236, but when I select the firmware, the question immediately arises, what is my version?https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
Kobo Aura Edition 2 v1
Kobo Aura Edition 2 v2

And yet, the process of flashing the book is not very clear.

... Extract the zip archive (2 files: KoboRoot.tgz, manifest.md5sum and the upgrade folder) to the .kobo folder on your device ...

it turns out 3 files of the file we drag to the .kobo folder

KoboRoot.tgz
manifest.md5sum
folder upgrade

And the cap indicates 2.

Attached images
Attached Image

* m4nnns Kobo eReader: firmware, patches, mods, Russification (Post .qwerty # 81531599)
And the firmware is not easier to update by wifi?
In the screenshot you have the latest firmware, what do you want to update?

Post has been editedSylvia - 16.03.19, 21:50

Okay, the version found out.

Now I Russify, what does it mean to register in the section?

In the .kobo / Kobo / Kobo eReader.conf file, register in the [ApplicationPreferences] section

What does it mean to register in the section?

open the file in Notepad +++ and add here
Attached Image

* .qwerty,
Help, pzhlst. In no way can I achieve normal landscape mode in h2o e2. Kobopatch_4.12.12111 applied, an icon appeared, but when you rotate the screen and the touch screen.
NOTE: when updating this patch, make sure that it is not trying to turn on the MMA8652 sensor
from 4.11.11980, there is an additional check where the sensor is turned on
fails by removing the auto-rotate option from the status bar menu.
- ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x964370, FindBLX: 0x411398, ReplaceH: 4F F0 01 00}

Here I am stuck, I can not understand what and where to delete

Post has been editedalber1211 - 17.03.19, 00:04

NOTE: when updating this patch, make sure that it is not trying to turn on the MMA8652 sensor
That is honest, I did not understand. Where did you get it and why do you need it. The MMA8652 sensor is an accelerometer or gyroscope, you simply do not have it. He is nowhere, except Forma.

A patch to use for landscape mode is not necessary, include in the config. If it does not work correctly, “mirror”, alas, the beta function, even Kobo does not make a claim.

Post has been edited.qwerty - 17.03.19, 00:34

patch description
Enables rotation on all devices. This is a selection of icons. This icon is only shown on rotateable views (like the reader). # In MainWindowController :: allowLandscapeRotation, which is the building bar status: # change Device :: isFrost () to MOV r0, 0x1 to set true all the time # NOTE: I’ve been able to make the most of the MMA8652 sensor. - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x964370, FindBLX: 0x411398, ReplaceH: 4F F0 01 00}

Starting with FW 4.11.11980, it is enabled on all devices by the patch Enable rotation on all devices or in the .kobo / Kobo / Kobo eReader.conf file.
here I included the patch, and tried to manually edit the result - the same. although the turnaround cool reader works great

* alber1211,
If something can be included in the config, do not include a patch, an extra action. This patch was created when there was no information that the turn can be done through the config. The result will be exactly the same. As you have noticed.

Do you have the same Aura H2O Edition 2 v2 (Mark 7)?

Well, the turn is not working properly, you can say your "phi" in support, but there are doubts that they will correct it in the near future.

* alber1211,

Do you have the same Aura H2O Edition 2 v2 (Mark 7)?

Well, the turn is not working properly, you can say your "phi" in support, but there are doubts that they will correct it in the near future.

Yes, Mark 7. I thought about the turn, maybe this is a solvable problem, well, somewhere literally a couple of lines to correct. If everything works in a cool reader, then there should be no problems with it in native nickel.
I will write in support, I think, I will not be the only one. Maybe they will respond, who knows

* alber1211,
Does the touchpad after you restart (if it is done in landscape mode) stop working correctly?

I have exactly the same. And on Mark 6, and on Mark 7. A flaw.

Before rebooting, exit to portrait mode, then it works correctly.

Hello.

I do russification on Kobo Aura Edition 2 v1

Firmware 4.12.12111
Russification FW 4.12.XKobo eReader: firmware, patches, mods, Russification. (KoboRoot.tar)

Although the instructions are .tgz

--- Installation Procedure:
In the .kobo / Kobo / Kobo eReader.conf file, register in the [ApplicationPreferences] section
CurrentLocale = C
ExtraLocales = en
Copy KoboRoot.tgz to the .kobo folder on your device, the device will automatically reboot .---

Installation steps:

1- Register in the .kobo / Kobo / Kobo eReader.conf file in the [ApplicationPreferences] section
CurrentLocale = C
ExtraLocales = en
2- Renamed KoboRoot.tar to KoboRoot.tgz and copied to the .kobo folder (just in case, threw KoboRoot.tar and KoboRoot.tgz)
3- The book rebooted only after disconnecting the cable
4- The language has not changed, but Extra appears in the language selection menu.
5- When you reopen the eReader.conf file, the value of CurrentLocale = C changes to the standard
CurrentLocale = en_US
EarliestChangeLog = 4.1.7729
ExtraLocales = en

There was a Russian keyboard by the way)

What am I doing wrong ?

Attached images
Attached Image
Attached Image

2- Renamed KoboRoot.tar to KoboRoot.tgz and copied to the .kobo folder

What for? Somewhere about this is written in the instructions? Download link 4.12.12111_ru.zip, unpack. inside the archive KoboRoot.tgz. The manual says: Copy KoboRoot.tgz to the .kobo folder on your device, the device will automatically reboot.

* alber1211,
Does the touchpad after you restart (if it is done in landscape mode) stop working correctly?
Before rebooting, exit to portrait mode, then it works correctly.

Nea, even from the landscape, even from the portrait I reboot, does not work correctly. In principle, for reading is not critical. The only thing I have not tried is to put the column partitioning patch. I will try in the evening

Figured out

on the Mac this file is Russification of FW 4.12.X was downloaded not in ZIP format,

On the usual PC with Windows, everything is OK, Thank you!

Attached images
Attached Image

Greetings. Tell me, how in Kobo Glo besides coolreader'a shove something else for djvu and pdf? Firmware byKsR with caps.
Surely there is a branch, but it didn’t get out - I didn’t find it! TT

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 28.06.19, 09:19