Using IPv6 in the network of mobile operator MTS. | All about the benefits and pitfalls of using a

Rep: (204)
Using IPv6 in the network of mobile operator MTS

Attached Image

How to connect?
Yes, for now, in order for MTS to start issuing IPv4v6, it is necessary to connect the free service "Access to IPv6" through LK.
You can also use USSD:
Connect - * 111 * 1428 * 1 #
Disable - * 111 * 1428 * 2 #
or via SMS:
Connect - 1 to number 1428
Deactivate - 2 to number 1428
Attached Image

How to setup?
IOS devices
IOS devices do not need settings since version 11.3
Devices starting with iPhone 5S, iPad Air2, iPad mini 4 are supported.
Older devices will no longer receive support.

ATTENTION!
It happens that on Apple devices from the list of supported and with a version older than 11.3, IPv6 support does not appear. In this case, go to Settings in the "Cellular Data" section (I do not write the path, because it changed in 12.0). Scroll down to the end and press the button "Adjustment speed". After the device is rebooted (this is for sure), IPv4v6 support should appear.
Android devices
From the MTS side, all major device manufacturers will be notified so that the default is set to IPv4v6 (dualstack).
However, some devices will have to be configured manually. To do this, you need to set the type of APN-a in the settings of the internet.mts.ru access point - IPv4v6.
Attached Image

It is not recommended to set IPv4v6 for roaming, because there is no certainty that there is support for IPv4v6 in roaming partner networks. Here are possible options:
- IPv4v6 connection will be (the best option);
- there will be an IPv4 connection (an acceptable option);
- there will be a failure in connecting to the network
Huawei modems
Using IPv6 in the network of mobile operator MTS. (Post rust3028 # 67503388)
Huawei e3372h-210 (MTS 829FT) have out-of-box support
Instructionon opening access to ports on IPv6 to devices connected to a mobile router using the example of Huawei B525 - thanksPhonetastic

How to check?
If everything is connected and configured, but still does not work
In this option, write to QMSEpm @ k, with telephone number, device model and region of habitat.
Confidence that everything will not, but if anything, I will try to contact the manufacturer of the device and ask the question why it does not work.
So far, this technology has not been introduced on the MTS network because there is not a single subscriber device that could use this.
In the laboratory, everything checked -Using IPv6 in the network of mobile operator MTS. (Post Epm @ k # 72967044)
Attached Image

IPv6-enabled DyDNS
useful links
news
From 09.08.2018, we plan to restrict incoming traffic to the mobile device via IPv6 port addressing< 1024.
We reserve the opportunity to remove this restriction by connecting an additional free option - "Access to IPv6 +".
Without special need, we do not recommend connecting this option.

09.08.2018 - About blocking traffic on lower ports for IPv6 addressing.

The topic is not recommended to upload screenshots with unlocked IMSI and IMEI.

There is no curator in the subject. In the event of a violation, press the buttonPicture
Top Starter -Phonetastic

Post has been editedEpm @ k - 17.01.19, 11:23
Reason for editing: Added links to statistical IPv6 resources

Rep: (125)
Initially, I began to study the question myself in another, not entirely relevant topic, and I was recommended to open a new topic. What I do.
I am sure it will be very interesting for many to find out how, from the practical side, a new service is already working with MTS "Access to IPv6". The service is really just awesome useful!
Perhaps I will be one of the first to almost figure it out and write here about it:

1) in order for your device (phone, tablet, computer, laptop, netbook, etc.) to receive an IPv6 address on the MTS network, your modem (cellular router)necessarily should currently work 4G network only with the IPv4v6 mode enabled for the selected Internet access profile (see the settings of your modem, router). in the MTS 3G network, at least for now, IPv6 addresses are not issued!
2) if you did everything correctly, then the MTS in the current connection will be issued in addition to the "gray" IP address (for NAT) in IPv4 also three addresses in IPv6 format. the address of which of these three (in Windows, it will be named in the connection properties as a temporary IPv6 address) is checked by any site to check the availability of IPv6 - it will be the “white” dynamic IPv6 address where your deviceall open ports will be visible from the outside with the ensuing consequences! if your device is not protected by hardware or software from hacking attempts through vulnerabilities on different open ports in the system, you absolutely really risk getting anything into the system. be careful!
3) from the moment you received a white white dynamic address from MTS, you can directly access any services on your device from any network also working in IPv6, or you can get such access from another MTS device with an IP address also received . for convenience, in order not to suffer and not contact a long and inconvenient IPv6 address, you can attach it to a bunch of free dynamic DNS services (noip, dyndns, etc.) in a couple of minutes. These services have long been able to "tie up" domains to IPv6 addresses.
4) the most important and important! In most cases, subscribers of various cellular operators still work in networks only with addresses in IPv4 format. for such subscribers (almost all of them in essence!) there is no easy regular opportunity to contact MTS from their IPv4 network to IPv6 addresses!
In order for this opportunity to appear, while the majority are not just IPv4 addresses, but gray addresses behind a NAT provider, you will have to further tinker with the organization of a tunnel broker - this is some kind of service- “translator” from an IPv4 network to an IPv6 network. moreover, the most complex tunnel broker working from under your provider's NAT. in other words, in such a situation, the “goodness” of the possibility of free access over IPv6 from MTS is almost lost.

From myself I will be very grateful if someone at least in QMS tells you how under Windows it is not very difficult to configure tunnel-broker access from IPv4 to IPv6 with the hard condition that I get from my providersonly gray ipv4 address for its NAT.

It will also be extremely interesting to know if someone from IPv6 from MTS already managed to contact another device that also works under MTS in IPv6? Well, as an option - from under a different network with IPv6?

I looked in the direction of teredo under Windows, but so far I haven’t understood how it can work (for routing from IPv4 to IPv6) exactly if I get a "gray" IP from my provider (I'm sitting for provider NAT)?

Rep: (2080)
* Phonetastic
https://habrahabr.ru/post/252611/
And by the way, the author of this article is on this forum.

Post has been editedilya-fedin - 25.10.17, 22:53

Rep: (625)
It was not necessary to be limited in the title of the MTS topic, as over time, others probably will ... Well, okay, then we'll fix it.

managed to set up access via Teredo (a little earlier than the link to the article on the habr was given).
but I already had time to give up on speed. I configured everything through several well-known public teredo servers, and through them speed and pings are just wild :-)
but now I know for sure that everything works, and if on the client side I had an IPv6 address immediately (for example, it was also a device on the MTS network), I would probably work without any brakes and lags. without teredo and other technologies. directly.

Post has been editedPhonetastic - 26.10.17, 00:12

Rep: (311)
Phonetastic @ 10.25.17, 21:08*
It will also be extremely interesting to know if someone from IPv6 from MTS already managed to contact another device that also works under MTS in IPv6? Well, as an option - from under a different network with IPv6?

I have not tried it, but there should be no problems with it. Access problems can only be available from the provider Cogent (USA), because they have a global IPv6 connectivity problem.

I do not understand why you need Teredo. Teredo is needed in order to establish IPv6 connectivity in the event that the provider does not issue an IPv6 address. In your case, the provider issues an IPv6 address, and you can connect to IPv6 hosts.

Phonetastic @ 10.25.17, 21:08*
in the MTS 3G network, at least for now, IPv6 addresses are not issued!

In 3G, there should be no problems with issuing IPv6. Send me a phone number in PM and I'll see what's wrong (if it's really wrong).

https://habrahabr.ru/company/ru_mts/blog/334610/
This is about IPv6 in MTS.

ValdikSS @ 10.26.17, 12:23*
I have not tried it, but there should be no problems with it. Access problems can only be available from the provider Cogent (USA), because they have a global IPv6 connectivity problem.

I do not understand why you need Teredo. Teredo is needed in order to establish IPv6 connectivity in the event that the provider does not issue an IPv6 address. In your case, the provider issues an IPv6 address, and you can connect to IPv6 hosts.

Firstly, it’s great what exactly you went into this topic, because I had the opportunity to read your articles and saw your experience in such issues, and if not you, I don’t even know who could tell more about this topic.
Secondly, answering your counter questions, I’ll note that when talking from IPv6 to IPv6, of course, there should be no problems, unless, as you mentioned, the provider somehow does not restrict such access. and I needed Teredo as a matter of fact only for the test period, since for the last 5 years I have not used any Internet except mobile, and there, besides MTS, no one IPv6 addresses (I can be wrong, though) when connecting. so i needed a “repeater” from ipv4 to ipv6.
as I understood, in my case, Teredo was the easiest way to test the connection, since all the methods associated with the "tunnel broker" method are currently not very applicable, due to the fact that some of them do not work from under the "gray" IPv4 address for NAT, and some of the methods are not implemented, because service projects on them have long been closed.
so I’m trying to find some more simple ways to get from Ipv4 (most mobile operators and many land operators still provide only such an addressing) to IPv6 (to devices in the MTS network that have received IPv6 addressing).

Epm @ k @ 10.26.17, 12:44*
In 3G, there should be no problems with issuing IPv6. Send me a phone number in PM and I'll see what's wrong (if it's really wrong).

it is likely that the problem is not in a separate room, but in the base station. I have tested it all strictly on the same base station, but in 1-2 days I will have the opportunity to test on different ones.

Phonetastic @ 10/26/17, 16:07*
it is likely that the problem is not in a separate room, but in the base station. I have tested it all strictly on the same base station, but in 1-2 days I will have the opportunity to test on different ones.
From the base station this should not affect. I repeat that I am ready to take up the issue and understand why an IPv6 address in 3G is not issued. For this, I need a number in PM and a willingness to test.

Rep: (311)
* Phonetastic
Keep in mind that many Teredo servers are quite unstable and do not always work. It is probably better to use a VPN with IPv6 support or a server with IPv6.
Epm @ k is an MTS employee who deals with IPv6.

for everyone reading the topic so that my silence on sentences does not look strangeEpm @ k I will write that we talked through QMS

ValdikSS @ 10.26.17, 5:23*
Keep in mind that many Teredo servers are quite unstable and do not always work. It is probably better to use a VPN with IPv6 support or a server with IPv6.

Yes, yes, I already encountered this almost immediately and realized that "the game is not worth the candle." I needed tests through a public teredo server purely as a kind of PoC - the fact that with IPv6 on both sides, access from MTS works fine.

It is worth noting, why do I need it at all? I wrote about this in detail on a nearby friendly forum (ixbt), but I’m still specifying it. By occupation, it is often very convenient for me to organize various types of remote access to devices. For example, when I was faced with the task of organizing RDP access (I needed just such access!) to several computers sitting deep behind the NAT provider under the "gray" provider IP (mobile Internet!), I thought of using an intermediate SSH server as backconnect- repeater (back trips in both directions). such RDP access has been working flawlessly and stably for many months, but it requires server rental (Dedicator or VPS). the option would be to buy a “white” IP from the cellular operator, but this is also not the cheapest pleasure. the question of expediency and budgeting.
and now, I find out that the MTS is “rolling out” an almost royal gift in the form of free addressing in IPv6, but in fact it gives out “white” (dynamic) IP for free.
How could a person of my type of activity perceive all of this, especially at the moment when I more and more actively sit down on the subject of IoT? as something that must be taken and used while it is given!
but as already known, "nuances" have emerged, which I want to discuss in this topic.

Rep: (29)
I did everything strictly according to the instructions, but something does not work. I get the ipv6 address, but it doesn't work further. This is what the test-ipv6.com service gives out.
What could be the problem?
Attached Image

Disable optimizers and compression and everything should work. Most likely, the browser uses its proxy server to access the Internet. Check it is not difficult. Just go to the site like myip.ru to find out your external address. If the output is directly, then it must be MTS-ny.

Rep: (29)
* Epm @ k,
Thank you
This is the first thing I turned off in the browser. In the browser on myip.ru I see that IP that MTS issues, but this does not affect the situation.

Try a different browser. I once saw the inscription that the browser supports IPv6, but avoids its use. You can also ping6 with some looking-glass. If he does not respond, then he is ready to look more closely at the equipment. For this you will need a number in PM.

Epm @ k , I tested access to Ipv6 at different MTS base stations. I have previously suggested that access to IPv6 on the 3G network is limited to MTS, and that this may be the case for specific base stations.
so it turned out!
throughout yesterday, i connected to different base stations at mts in both 3G mode and 4G modes.
at all base stations in 4G, 3 IPv6 addresses were clearly and invariably received, one of which was external (“white” dynamic), but in 3G mode only on a part of the BS in 3G mode an IPv6 address was issued, and only one, and as far as I realized it was not accessible from the external network.
I will still test in more detail, but the preliminary information is exactly that.

Post has been editedPhonetastic - 30.10.17, 15:47

I still know only one case in 3G - IPv6 does not work if it is a connection through the Femto-cell. Usually this is some kind of small coverage area in the room.

Epm @ k @ 10.30.17, 17:15*
I still know only one case in 3G - IPv6 does not work if it is a connection through the Femto-cell. Usually this is some kind of small coverage area in the room.

Unfortunately, obviously in my case this is not the situation. I "sat down" on the "usual" BS, and not on the femtocell. so, if possible, since you are supervising the work of Ipv6, please pay attention of your colleagues to the situation with 3G and IPv6.

Rep: (2)
I confirm, on 3G, ipv6 does not work (Android 4.4.4). Actually, I can not confirm the performance on 4G either, since LTE does not catch LTE from MTS in the field of testing.
Taking this opportunity, I would like to clarify the list of 3G / 4G modems that support ipv4ipv6 (I have Huawei E173 and Huawei E3372s, this type of APN is not supported, and for the purity of the experiment, it would be nice to exclude the influence of the OS) and whether MTS plans to release firmware with ipv4ipv6 for models sold in the online store?

Post has been editediplate - 10.11.17, 22:39

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 27.06.19, 04:18