10.06.17, 16:12
Old resident
[online]

Group: Friendssavagemessiahzine.com
Messages 1179
Check in: 10.10.07
Asus zenfone 5

_YC_ @ 10.06.17, 14:07*
Of course, slow down! Try running on an old PC with the first Intel Core Extreme KDE Plasma 5.10.

While comment on this phrase.

Here I wanted to say something completely different.
I found an appropriate lightweight distribution kit for my weak laptop.
(I’ll even give the specifications: Sony Vaio TX3XRP / B 1Gb RAM, Intel Core Solo U1400 1200VHz, HDD 80Gb; Linux distribution Runtu 14.04.1 LITE).
So, since 2014, when I installed this distribution, neither the memory occupied by the OS in RAM / HDD has increased, nor the speed of work decreased.

Of course, I monitored the memory occupied by the newly installed software and controlled it (by the way, Linux is an order of magnitude easier than taking it).
For example, I noticed that the resident module of the installed TeamViewer eats as much as 60MB of RAM. For this reason, I removed the bootloader of this module and loaded it manually when I need TeamViewer once every 3-4 months.

So the N1 pin - Linux allows you to pickmoderndistribution for any iron, even 10-15 years ago.

Well, what do you take out?
I will cite as an example the same Sony Vaio TX3XRP / B laptop.
In 2005, when this laptop appeared, Windows XP SP2 was on it and it worked quite fast.
But by 2010, this monster called Win XP swelled to such proportions (SP3 + all new updates) that the laptop simply stood up!
I already wanted to throw it out (in working condition!). Yes, it was a pity - all this beautiful, carbon fiber!
In short, this laptop was saved only by the mentioned Linux distribution.

So conclusion N2: Take out far less flexible in terms of choosing the OS for a bit outdated hardware.

Post has been editedmkudritsky - 10.06.17, 16:14

--------------------
teXet X-Basic, Digma Platina 7.1 LTE, Asus Zenfone 5 LTE, PocketBook 626 Plus
_YC_
Message#22
10.06.17, 16:44
Local
[offline]

Messages 131
Check in: 16.05.12
Huawei Mate 9 MHA-L29

mkudritsky @ 06/10/17, 15:12*
So the output N1 - Linux allows you to choose a modern distribution for any hardware, even 10-15 years ago.

I do not argue, the way it is, it's just that Linux and Windows have a different target group. Windows - for "just users", Linux - for those who, figuratively speaking, are ready to "finish the file"

Windows is tied to marketing, it must adapt to the ever-increasing power of iron, "to keep up with the times." Thus, each new version of Windows is released under a certain average PC acc. period Hence the increasing performance requirements.

There is no such thing in Linux. Newer versions of Linux distributions mainly contain updated programs and drivers. There are not a lot of radical changes in them, well, except that something like switching from GTK + 2.XX to GTK + 3.XX, from XOrg server to Wayland, from KDE4 to KDE5. But such changes in Linux are always announced heavily ahead of time, which gives time to prepare. Plus there is an opportunity not to go at all. :)
A.R.S
Message#23
11.06.17, 22:56
Guru
[offline]

Messages 17216
Check in: 10.10.11
Apple iPhone 7

mkudritsky @ 06/10/17, 15:12*
But by 2010, this monster called Win XP swelled to such proportions (SP3 + all new updates) that the laptop simply stood up!
I already wanted to throw it out (in working condition!). Yes, it was a pity - all this beautiful, carbon fiber!
In short, this laptop was saved only by the mentioned Linux distribution.

But would not save a clean installation of Windows and then updates? Do you think that the updates themselves slow down? And not just file / registry / podnaby trash in Windows?

--------------------
Nokia N8 (orig. PR1.2 014.002) + Nokia microSD 16Gb =>Apple iPhone 5 64Gb =>Apple iPhone 7 256Gb (iOS 11.4, PCT)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 P7500 32Gb + Samsung USB Host Adapter =>Apple iPad Air 128Gb Wi-Fi + Cellular (iOS 11.4, PCT)
Dimar
Message#24
12.06.17, 04:22
Perfectionism guru
[offline]

Group: Curators
Messages 2988
Check in: 04.09.10
Honor 9 lite

If the title of the topic to add "vs Linux", most users will definitely indicate it.

--------------------
mkudritsky
Message#25
12.06.17, 05:01
Old resident
[online]

Messages 1179
Asus zenfone 5

A.R.S @ 11.06.17, 22:56*
But would not save a clean installation of Windows and then updates? Do you think that the updates themselves slow down? And not just file / registry / podnaby trash in Windows?

I tried to install from scratch and then roll updates - does not help!
The fact is that Win XP + SP3 + all updates = VERY heavy in and of itself.
And note - new features compared with SP2 has not increased! So why did the OS become heavy like a weight ?!

I tried to install Win 7 and Win 8.1 on this book - it also barely tosses.
But you should also install antivirus on these OS!
(By the way, I spent more than 1 week on these experiments! There were only Win XP updates for two days. Beech was weak.)

What can I say, even Linux is not everyone is smartly working here.
I had to pick up the distribution kit. For example, classic Ubuntu has also worked at ease, although Win is better.

By the way, the statement that cleaning the registry dramatically improves the performance of Win - the myth.
It becomes a little faster (and even then not for long) and nothing more.

Slava733 @ 11.06.17, 23:19*
And it works very fast. Only now many programs stop supporting it. This stops.

About the "works smartly" I bet.
IMHO if you take the OS with all the updates, then Win 7 is the fastest! Even faster Win XP.
(But, of course, if you install Win XP SP2 and disable all updates, then Hrusha will be the fastest!)

About the software ...
I persuade my wife to change Win XP, because, for example, Google Chrome has long ceased to be updated here, and even FireFox is updated in my opinion until October 2017 and all ...
But I don’t know what to change Win XP for - Win 7 or Win 10.
I think to put all the same Win 10, because longer will be maintained. And not so bad, as they say about her.

To be fair, all Windows quickly work on quite old hardware too.
But the configuration should be no lower than Intel Core 2 Duo and 2Gb RAM.
And these are also quite ancient devices - 10 years old.

Dimar @ 06/12/17, 04:22*
If the title of the topic to add "vs Linux", most users will definitely indicate it.

Unfortunately, this is not the case.
Us, linuksoids, while only 2% of the total number of users.
But this is already 4 times better than it was 10 years ago!
But if MS continues its monopoly experiments, our share will grow faster! IMHO!

Post has been editedmkudritsky - 12.06.17, 05:03

--------------------
Dimar
Message#26
12.06.17, 07:02
Perfectionism guru
[offline]

Group: Curators
Messages 2988
Check in: 04.09.10
Honor 9 lite

mkudritsky @ 06/12/17, 07:01*
so far only 2% of the total number of users
In the discussion of a similar topic in VK, about 50/50 voices are divided, I draw conclusions. In addition, the vast majority of gamers vote for windows.

--------------------
Trumpo
Message#27
12.06.17, 09:58
Vatnik
[offline]

Messages 1562
Check in: 04.04.12
Apple iPhone SE

Dimar @ 06/12/17, 04:22*

Well, you have fantasies.
Slava733 @ 06/12/17, 09:22*
I suppose that even after a couple of decades, it can hardly be a direct competitor to T-shirts.

Corrected, do not thank.

--------------------
"I didn’t ask for Android because they have an inadequate reaction to the word Windows" © mkpy
A.R.S
Message#28
12.06.17, 12:26
Guru
[offline]

Messages 17216
Apple iPhone 7

mkudritsky @ 06/12/17, 04:01*
To be fair, all Windows quickly work on quite old hardware too.
But the configuration should be no lower than Intel Core 2 Duo and 2Gb RAM.
And these are also quite ancient devices - 10 years old.

Yeah, when changing Vista (OEM, manufacturer's image) to 7-ku ("clean", with manual installation of drivers from the manufacturer's website), the difference in performance was very much felt.

There were different opinions expressed, but still a lot of people, including myself. I think that 7-ka lighter Whists :-)

In general, the 7-ka now works perfectly, did not have to buy a new laptop. Sony FW11MR. There is some kind of Cor Duo worth and RAM even more.

But on the Pentium-4 (2600 MHz) I did not try to bet, it stands unclaimed (sistemnik), because The hardware was obviously not enough for my tasks even on XP. For example, a new camera writes video in MTS format.

On it, these videos more or less smoothly lost only one program - JetAudio (yes, yes). Everything else is "stupid."

So it’s probably because I switched from XP to 7-ku because of the change in the system unit (it was silly to install XP on a new PC), and not vice versa.

--------------------
Nokia N8 (orig. PR1.2 014.002) + Nokia microSD 16Gb =>Apple iPhone 5 64Gb =>Apple iPhone 7 256Gb (iOS 11.4, PCT)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 P7500 32Gb + Samsung USB Host Adapter =>Apple iPad Air 128Gb Wi-Fi + Cellular (iOS 11.4, PCT)
Alex Klein
Message#29
12.06.17, 13:54
Local
[online]

Messages 225
Check in: 16.07.09
Honor 10

mkudritsky @ 06/12/17, 05:01*
Us, linuksoids, while only 2% of the total number of users.

Much less in actual fact. I don’t know how it is written in encyclopias, but I rank only the radical wing of users of this OS with linuksoids. Adequate users after all (IMHO) more.
But even a small bug, yes smelly :)

By the way, about XP: no one noticed how it flies in a virtual machine even with close to the minimum parameters? On a real gland such a flight did not meet.

--------------------
Stupid and nibuchen
A.R.S
Message#30
12.06.17, 14:06
Guru
[offline]

Messages 17216
Apple iPhone 7

Alex Klein @ 06/12/17, 12:54*
By the way, about XP: no one noticed how it flies in a virtual machine even with close to the minimum parameters?

And what is the screen resolution? If you do not increase, then 640x480 like. And where have you seen in the last 10-15 years a real monitor with this resolution?

--------------------
mkudritsky
Message#31
12.06.17, 14:13
Old resident
[online]

Messages 1179
Asus zenfone 5

A.R.S @ 12.06.17, 12:26*
In general, the 7-ka now works perfectly

Yes, the fastest Win seven!
After all, she was originally conceived killer Win XP.
And this MS killing succeeded: Win 7 SP1 + all updates work faster than Win XP SP3 + all updates.
Seven has one minus - after 2019 it, like Win XP, will be covered.
But in fact, both Win 10 and Win 8.1 also work very, very well.

A.R.S @ 12.06.17, 12:26*
But on the Pentium-4 (2600 MHz) I did not try to bet, it stands unclaimed (sistemnik), because The hardware was obviously not enough for my tasks even on XP.

If you have not yet thrown out this system unit, then you can install Linux Runtu LITE on it (or 14.04.1, or even the previous version).
For Runtu even 512MB of memory is enough! IMHO even in 256MB you can fit, but then periodically SWAP cling.

But everywhere you need some kind of norm and rationality.
For example, I wear my Sony Vaio TX3XRP / B only because it is lightweight (1.2 kg at 13.5 "- even by modern standards it is not that big).
Well, his mission - videos from YouTube in his carpentry workshop to listen.

By the way, I have never used SWAP on this beech!
And this is with 1024MB of RAM! The maximum that was: 650MB is occupied with three open LibreOffice documents and 10 FireFox tabs.
For this reason, I refused to upgrade it to 2048 MB of RAM (although there was such an opportunity) - I just don’t see the point.
Here the processor would upgrade: from a single-core Intel U1400 to the same, but dual-core. But, alas, these processors are not only old, but also very rare.

Alex Klein @ 06/12/17, 13:54*
I rank only the radical wing of the users of this OS for Linux users.

By the way, I did not meet frostbitten linuscoids.
People usually use both Linux and Win. Each for their own purposes.
And if on the Linux forums you start throwing mud at Win, then you will first be gently put in place.
Incidentally, I was surprised by this!

Post has been editedmkudritsky - 12.06.17, 14:16

--------------------
Alex Klein
Message#32
12.06.17, 14:24
Local
[online]

Messages 225
Check in: 16.07.09
Honor 10

A.R.S @ 12.06.17, 14:06*
If you do not increase, then 640x480 like. And where have you seen in the last 10-15 years a real monitor with this resolution?

Even the full screen FHD flies. The same Win 98 and then it works even at low resolution. If not laziness, run in the virtual box on your notebook.

--------------------
Stupid and nibuchen
A.R.S
Message#33
12.06.17, 16:09
Guru
[offline]

Messages 17216
Apple iPhone 7

Mkudritsky @ 06/12/17, 13:13*
Seven has one minus - after 2019 it, like Win XP, will be covered.
But in fact, both Win 10 and Win 8.1 also work very, very well.

This is yes. I already have 10 on the main system unit (i7 2600 3.4GHz).

But 8.1 / 10 has stronger requirements in at least one aspect - the NX-bit of the processor. In a relatively modern kind there, but the same old Pentium-4 will not be able to run them even in theory.

This is a bit for hardware support of this function:
Attached Image

--------------------
A.R.S
Message#34
12.06.17, 16:26
Guru
[offline]

Messages 17216
Apple iPhone 7

* Slava733,
works automatically

allows the OS supporting this feature (Windows seems to be able to work with XP) mark the areas of the program code and the data areas that MUST NOT be run as program code

this increases protection against security vulnerabilities.

Windows 8-10 refuse to install without this bit

up to 7, inclusive, it was not required

the “Data Execution Prevention” function works without this bit, but programmatically

Posted 12/06/2017 16:31:

Since in modern computer systems, memory is divided into pages that have certain attributes, processor developers have added another one: the prohibition of the execution of code on the page. That is, such a page can be used to store data, but not program code. If you try to transfer control to such a page, an interrupt will occur, the OS will get control and terminate the program.

If the program is written without errors, the instruction pointer will never go beyond the limits of code segments; however, as a result of software errors, control may be transferred to other areas of memory. At the same time, the processor will stop performing any programmed actions, but will execute a random sequence of commands for which it will receive data stored in these areas until it encounters an invalid sequence or tries to perform an operation that violates the integrity of the system, which will cause protection system operation. In both cases, the program will crash. Also, the processor may encounter a sequence interpreted as a command to go to an already passed address. In this case, the processor enters an infinite loop, and the program “freezes”, taking 100% of the processor time. To prevent such incidents, this additional attribute was introduced: if a certain area of ​​memory is not intended for storing program code, all its pages should be marked with the NX bit, and in case of an attempt to transfer control to the processor, an exception will be generated and the OS will immediately terminate the program signaling out of segment (SIGSEGV).

The main motive for the introduction of this attribute was not so much the provision of a quick reaction to such errors as the fact that very often such errors were used by attackers for unauthorized access to computers, as well as writing viruses. There are a huge number of such viruses and worms that exploit vulnerabilities in common programs.

One of the attack scenarios is that by taking advantage of a buffer overflow in a program (often a daemon that provides some network service), a specially written malicious program (exploit) can write some code in the data area of ​​the vulnerable program in such a way that as a result of an error will get control and execute actions programmed by an attacker (often this is a request to execute the OS shell program, with which the attacker will gain control over the vulnerable system with the rights of It's a vulnerable program; very often it's root).

--------------------
FoxFox4444
Message#35
16.06.17, 12:55
Local
[offline]

Messages 217
Check in: 01.05.17
Xiaomi Redmi 5A

Decided to stay in the seven, though. There is a little performance gain, dx12 is not needed (for me personally). And if you look at the appearance and convenience, then three (!) Control panels are a bit too much)) and the new launch, in my opinion, is a crash. Different icons hurt the eyes. The calendar, yes, is beautiful, but to the point) again A.R.S spoke about supporting the newsoftwareiron is only 10th, but what about the old? Yuzayu fl8, on another forum wrote that it does not start. I do not want anything else: unsure:

Post has been editedFoxFox4444 - 16.06.17, 12:58
Reason for editing: was wrong
Goplex
Message#36
16.06.17, 13:16
Local
[online]

Messages 317
Check in: 20.03.16
Xiaomi Mi 5

_YC_ @ 06/10/2017, 15:44*
I do not argue, the way it is, it's just that Linux and Windows have a different target group. Windows - for "just users", Linux - for those who, figuratively speaking, are ready to "finish the file"

If everything was so simple.
Generally, topic 7 is Sun 10, but the red-eyed cannot pass by and climb with their linups.
By topic: 10 faster and works better on the same gland as compared to 7. This is enough to switch to it and leave 7 in the past.

--------------------
The signature should not exceed 300 characters and have no more than 3 lines of text.
Onecoin
Message#37
18.06.17, 14:03
Visitor
[offline]

Group: Users
Messages 10
Check in: 08.06.17

I tried to put both 7 and 10, I stopped at 7. Although it works slower than 10 and more difficult, but 7 in my opinion is more convenient and more beautiful and seems to be more practical (for I remember not all 10 programs and firewood plowed)
XxImsxX
Message#38
22.06.17, 09:00
Strength in RB 26 DETT
[offline]

Messages 1844
Check in: 22.05.15
Samsung Galaxy Star Plus GT-S7262

Both versions, Van Lav: heart:
P.s Worth and 7-ka and 10-ka

--------------------
By "/>MA>I<OP"
(0o_SkYLiNe_o0) GT-R
nismo
reliable1
Message#39
22.06.17, 09:02
Computer geek and freak
[offline]

Messages 505
Check in: 06.11.11
Xiaomi Redmi 4X 3/32

7 Kaef, 8, 8.1 buggy and unstable. 10 tolerated
Linux is even better

Post has been editedreliable1 - 22.06.17, 09:03

--------------------
Goplex
Message#40
22.06.17, 09:40
Local
[online]

Messages 317
Check in: 20.03.16
Xiaomi Mi 5

reliable1 @ 06/22/2017, 08:02*
Linux
reliable1 @ 06/22/2017, 08:02*
buggy and unstable

--------------------
The signature should not exceed 300 characters and have no more than 3 lines of text.

38 pagesV  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > » 

mobile version    Now: 02.05.19, 10:22