Adalight - analog Ambilight do it yourself

Rep: (49)
DiscussionAdalight - analog Ambilight do it yourself

Attached Image

Discussion пїЅ
The topic was created to discuss the Adalight backlight. Here you can share your experience, upload photos and videos of what you have done, ask questions that interest you on this topic.
Description
Adalight is an analogue of Ambilight illumination from Phillips. It is a LED strip attached to the entire perimeter of the monitor on the back side, which connects to a PC on Windows OS and is controlled via the Arduino Nano platform. With the help of the AmbiBox program, the color picture of the frame on the monitor screen is analyzed and reproduces ambient light around the monitor perimeter. Due to this, the surface of the wall behind the monitor case is dynamically illuminated, thereby complementing the intensity of the image on the screen itself with a halo and, as it were, visually increasing the image size. There are several modes of operation:
- Screen Capture
- Dynamic background
- Static background
- Color music

Accessories
1. WS2812B LED StripAliexpress, Ebay.
In detailabout WS2812B diodes, their analogues and markings.
2. Arduino NANO V3.0Aliexpress, Ebay.
3. Power supply 5 V currentcalculateddepending on the number of diodes in the finished piece of tape. The tape can be powered from the USB 3.0 port, from the computer's power supply (red and black wire, for example, from Molex), etc.
4. 200 Ohm ResistorAliexpress
5. WireAliexpress
6. MiniUSB cable for connecting Arduino NANO to PCAliexpress
7. Double-sided tapeAliexpress.

Software part
1. Arduino IDE
2. FastLED Library
3. Sketch
4. AmbiBOXor
Prismatik official versionor
the newest unofficial Prismatik with support for capturing images directly from NVidia video cards.
5. Modified sketchAccording to the author, only adaptive brightness adjustment has been added (a photodiode must be connected)

Instruction
1. We measure our monitor
2. We divide our ribbon into 4 parts so that there are the same number of LEDs below and above and respectively on the left and on the right.
3. We solder these 4 segments clockwise starting from the lower right corner of the monitor.
4. Next, connect the tape to the Arduino and to the power supply according towiring diagram .
Wiring diagram
Attached Image

5. Go to setting the software part.
6. Connect the Arduino to the PC. Drivers should install automatically. We open the task manager, the device should appear as in the picture below. Remember the COM port number. In my case it is 4.
Task Manager
Attached Image

7. Install the Arduino IDE.
8. Configure Arduino IDE. In the tools tab, select our board, processor and COM port number.
Configuring Arduino IDE
Attached Image

9. We connect the library FastLED.
Library connection
Attached Image

10. Next, open our sketch Adalight. In the place highlighted in yellow, we indicate the total number of diodes in our backlight (I got 50).
Sketch Editing
Attached Image

11. Click on the buttonAttached Image. This will compile and load the sketch into our Arduino. During this procedure, the diode on Arduin should flash rapidly. After uploading the sketch, close the Arduino IDE, disconnect the arduino from the computer, then reconnect the Arduino to USB. After that, the diodes of our illumination should blink in several colors.
12. Install the AmbiBox program. At the end of the installation, select the Adalight device. In the setting of intellectual illumination, put a tick to turn on the backlight. Next, click on the button "more settings" select the port and the number of zones. Zones can be configured by clicking on the "Show capture zones" button. All lights are ready to use.
AmbiBox Setup
Attached Image

Additional instructions

Examples

Possible problems and their solutions
1. Prismatik does not work in full-screen programs.
Decision
2. Does not turn off the PC, without disconnecting the Arduino from USB.
Solution: switch the Arduino to another USB connector, for example, from 2.0 to 3.0.
3. There is no white color, shades are distorted. White light is too yellow.
Solution: check if the power supply producesnecessarytape power.
4. Works only part of the tape. The tape (its part) does not turn off, does not respond to commands. It hangs, it works fine.
Decision.

The curator of the topic isMECHANISM. For filling caps please write toQMS.

Post has been editedMECHANISM - 28.04.19, 12:32
Reason for editing: Changed the name of the wireless backlight instruction

Rep: (0)
Thank you very much, great instruction!
Made myself such a thing today.
There were several questions:
1. low FPS capture in the ambibox - I have 6-9 fps max (the computer is sufficiently productive), apparently this causes a noticeable lag between the picture on the screen and what the LEDs display.
2. Gamma - blue and red are oversaturated by default, is there a good preset or advice on this topic
3. Is resistance at 200 ohms necessary? Not at hand was, until made without.
My video (Sony TV 65 ", backlight on 3 sides, total 90 pcs)https://youtu.be/brpzjjalx_o

* andreylusta,
1. Try to choose different ways to capture and set the maximum FPS to 60. What kind of video card do you have?
2. Here everyone has everything individually, as far as I know, play around the advanced zone settings tab.
3. Not necessarily but desirable, the first time I worked without a resistor.

My example.
Yes, of course, it would be possible to make everything more beautiful, but fortunately it is not visible from the outside and the hands do not reach the remake.
A photo
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

VideoAn example of how this all works.

met-gen @ 05/14/2017, 15:12*
* andreylusta,
1. Try to choose different ways to capture and set the maximum FPS to 60. What kind of video card do you have?
2. Here everyone has everything individually, as far as I know, play around the advanced zone settings tab.
3. Not necessarily but desirable, the first time I worked without a resistor.

Hey. 1. The gtx970 video card is not a monster, but it should be enough, I think. I tried different types of capture, win8 is faster, but I have seen more than 20 fps, but this is not bad. And all the games (dx12 did not check) work.
2. Played with sliders, did not notice much difference, by the way, an important point, before setting you need to tick "for all zones" otherwise all settings will touch one field / LED. To look at someone's well-tuned ambibox, for me, blue is oversaturated.
3. It worked for me too. And yesterday I thought kirdyk came to everything, I thought because of the resistor: after several days of work, the system suddenly did not turn on. Those. The tape runs its test in three colors at the start, all completely, and in Windows (wines 10) nothing. Dances with a tambourine, ringing, flashing the arduine, reinstalling the ambibox - zero. Was shocked by hopelessness. The next day, he took everything down and reinstalled. I assembled a duplicate circuit for 10 diodes, so that people do not tear them off from the TV every time, and everything worked again on fresh, both there and there. I did not understand anything, what was the catch, and it is annoying. The only time was played in a sketch with a response speed or a lag, something like that, the default number was 115000, I put 500000 as I read somewhere, but everything worked for the first time. Xs, returned 115k back

Posted 05/17/2017 00:56:

By the way, I want to try to add this whole thing to the TV set directly, I have a TV set with an android, like it can be done through coding. I will smoke internet. And the idea to make a primitive control at least on-off the general backlight without starting the computer

Rep: (2)
And if you connect the backlight through the TV box (mi box), will it work with kodi ??

Why do I need a resistor?
Today I ordered Arduino, I am also going to make the backlight on the monitor.

Rep: (58)
* Zhur82, to limit the current in the signal line. In principle, you can do without it.

Found in the network an unofficial update for Prismatic -https://github.com/psieg/Lightpack/releases
As for me, the color rendition is better here, but I have problems with setting the direction of the tape, switching back and forth does not have an effect, does someone use this program to capture?
Now I add the lower part of the tape to the TV, there will be about 120 LEDs.
It looks like yethttps://youtu.be/M-t7T0iqTGQ

To install the tape, you can use an aluminum profile.
I did myself
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

If the tape is not in the tube, then you can close the plastic matte insert. It will look even more civilized.

upd
And something else like that
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image

Post has been editedLyzhy - 27.06.17, 14:52
Reason for editing: Added more photos

Rep: (75)
Hi all! Collected, the only difference LEDs - individual pixels. With Ambibox, the same problem, after installation all 60 fps presses, after a reboot a maximum of 10-14 fps, I could not find a solution. Maybe someone knows?

Rep: (1)
I got a total of 200 diodes, guys, what do you think 5v is enough for power? And why on the circuit the resistance is 470 Ohms, and in the components the resistance is 220?
Arduino has not come yet, I’ll connect and check everything and put some photos.

What do you think 5v is enough for power?

It is necessary to consider what current consumption will be your set. And you ask about the voltage. WS2812b has a maximum current, like 60mA (3x20mA) at a voltage of 5V. If all your diodes work in white, then the power supply unit needs 60mA * 200 = 12A.

* Lyzhy Thank you) 12A damn ... you need to buy a suitable power supply ...
And what about resistance to management? Why is the 470 ohm on the circuit? Need to put two? Or is 220 Ohms enough?

Rep: (75)
* de1iora , Doesn't your computer pull 12 amps?
The resistor can not be set, it seems as though it already exists in arduinka and it works fine without it.

* Hedgehog82 , for sure) will be powered from the computer) thanks)

The people, why is Arduino on the diagram a bit different? Today I finally took it from the post office, I want to collect everything tomorrow) And yet, if I feed my tape from the computer’s power supply, will the computer work normally?

Posted on 07/24/2017, 18:16:

Here, tell me what other connectors I need to connect

Attached images
Attached Image

scary to let such a current ... and suddenly light up

I found the correct scheme

Attached images
Attached Image

So that the wires do not burn, I will power it

Posted on 07/25/2017 05:12:

I'll go buy bp, try today to get everything together, I wonder how it will work)

Attached images
Attached Image

* de1iora
Exit number you need to look at the skeche. Led pin, or something like that.
Powered in 4 corners, redundant, unless of course you have 5m pieces. I fed at the ends, on TV 32 "and 40", I did not find any problems.
Never used a resistor. I learned about its use not so long ago. Before that, all the variants of the schemes came across without it. How critical is its use / non-use has not found anywhere else.

Post has been editedLyzhy - 25.07.17, 10:18

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 06/26/19, 00:57