ASUS RT-AC58U - Discussion | [wifirouter]

Rep: (1)
ASUS RT-AC58U- Discussion

Attached Image

Inexpensive dual-band gigabit router, fully compatible with Entware and OpenWrt.

Important information
  • Before the first setting, turn on the router, wait until the download is complete and do a full reset, holding down the Reset button for about 10 seconds. It has been empirically established that this will help avoid many problems in the future.
  • H.* mnsold I noticed that, due to the peculiarities of the work of iron with memory on any firmware, after updating the software or changing the settings it is extremely not recommended to reboot through power off. It is better to use the corresponding item in the web interface or command reboot console. Otherwise, you may receive a set of errors to get rid of which a hardware reset is required. Of course, this applies only to the first reboot after operations with internal memory. In normal operation, the router easily transfers sudden interruptions in power supply.
  • Fresh stock firmware does not contain any noticeable bugs. So if, with the usual use case, something does not work, most likely you are dealing with a random hardware malfunction. Without special equipment and appropriate skills, the problem is not solved, which means that you do not waste time, take the sales receipt, the router and bring the marriage back to the store.
  • The radio waves used for WiFi work very badly overcome obstacles. Reinforced concrete wall, mirrored door of the wardrobe, metal mesh under the plaster is guaranteed to weaken, and, in some cases, completely shield the signal. Also on the work of the radio path can have a serious impact sourcesradio interference, type: powerful electric motors (air conditioner, refrigerator, elevator behind the wall ...), switching power supplies (computer, TV, energy saving and LED lamps ...) or other radio transmitters (base unit of radiotelephone, cell phone, wireless sensors of the smart home and fire alarm ...). Please take this into account when choosing the location of the router.
  • If you are planning these or other experiments with the router, be sure to dofull backuphis memory. If you do not plan, the backup will not hurt anyway.

Photo
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Description
According to the manufacturer, RT-AC58U is:
  • Wi-Fi 802.11ac Dual Band Router
  • Wireless Wi-Fi 802.11ac module with data rates up to 867 and 400 Mbit / s in the 5 and 2.4 GHz bands, respectively
  • Four external antennas with a gain of 5 dBi provide a stable signal with a wide coverage area
  • Supports MU-MIMO technology to increase performance while working with multiple client devices
  • Quad-core processor for fast processing of network packets
  • Large amount of RAM - 128 MB
  • USB 3.0 interface for connecting peripheral devices

Well, in fact it is quite a modern router, which, most likely, will close all your needs for the next 3-5 years:
  • WiFi works simultaneously in two bands.
  • A modern chipset allows you to hope to get up to 200 Mbps in the 2.4 GHz band and up to 400 Mbps at 5 GHz
  • On the wire, the speed closely approaches the claimed 1000 Mbps
  • At rest, the router is heated slightly. Under load just noticeably warm.
  • The quad-core ARM type Cortex-A7 is also likely not to be a bottleneck.
  • USB present 3.0, so the disks will run at full speed.

Specifications
A brief summary of the technical characteristics of the stock firmware, without marketing husks:
  • Protocol support: IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n, IEEE 802.11ac, IPv4, IPv6
  • Data transfer rate:
    802.11a: 6,9,12,18,24,36,48,54 Mbps
    802.11b: 1, 2, 5.5, 11 Mbps
    802.11g: 6,9,12,18,24,36,48,54 Mbps
    802.11n TurboQAM: up to 400 Mbps
    802.11ac: up to 867 Mbps
  • Encryption support: 64-bit WEP, 128-bit WEP, WPA2-PSK, WPA-PSK, WPA-Enterprise, WPS support
  • Four external fixed antennas.
  • MIMO support - 2x2 in each band.
  • Full supportMU-MIMO
  • VPN server - L2TP Pass-Through, PPTP Server, OpenVPN Server
  • VPN client - PPTP client, L2TP client, OpenVPN client
  • Samba and FTP support
  • Compatible with Asus proprietary "cloud services".
  • RAM: 128 MB
  • Flash Memory - 128 MB
  • External interfaces - RJ45 for 10/100/1000 / Gigabit BaseT for WAN x 1, RJ45 for 10/100/1000 / Gigabit BaseT for LAN x 4, USB 3.0 x 1
  • Buttons: power, WPS, reboot.
  • Indicators: LAN x 1, WAN x 1, Wi-Fi x 2, USB x 1.
  • Power supply: 110-240V>external switching power supply>12V / 1.5A
  • Dimensions: 207 x 148.8 x 35.5 ~ mm (L x W x H)
  • Weight: 395 g

The full characteristics of the device can be found.on the manufacturer's websitesome additional technical details to findhere, and especially curious can still studyproduct certificate of conformity.
Firmware
Note!

Any actions with firmware carry a certain amount of risk. Therefore, before upgrading or changing firmware:
  • Consider whether you need this adventure.
  • Consider creatingbackup memorydevices.
  • Be sure to verify the reliability of the power supply of your equipment.
  • Carefully read the instructions and follow it strictly.
  • Do not hurry. Some operations may take a long time.
  • At the end of the procedure,it is not recommended to restart the router with the power button or pull the wire out of the socket. It is better to use the corresponding item of the web interface or the commandrebootconsole.
  • If you are faced with a serious problem and were able to solve it successfully, please do not be lazy to share your experience with us. Perhaps this will save someone a lot of time and nerves, and you yourself will get a useless but pleasant plus in karma.

Stock
Currently, the latest ASUS firmware version is 3.0.0.4.380.8457. She was released on January 18, 2019.
You candownload it on the manufacturer's website. Or drag the appropriate archive directly from here:

Attached fileFW_RT_AC58U_30043808457.zip(22.93 MB)
Attached fileFW_RT_AC58U_30043808375.zip(22.92 MB)
Attached fileFW_RT_AC58U_30043808347.zip(22.92 MB)
Attached fileFW_RT_AC58U_30043808228.zip(22.23 MB)
Attached fileFW_RT_AC58U_30043808119.zip(22.21 MB)
Attached fileFW_RT_AC58U_30043807485.zip(21.97 MB)
Attached fileFW_RT_AC58U_30043806516.zip(19.47 MB)

Detailed update instructions can be found on page 78.user manuals.
Maud runoff from SW. peter23
H.peter23Modified the official firmware and significantly expanded its capabilities. Detailed description and links to the latest version can be found.here.
Openwrt
Our router is officially supported by the community.Openwrt.
Installation instructions, rollback to the drain and system recovery after unsuccessful manipulations can be foundhere.
If you are looking for more complete information, you should look atthis page. However, be prepared for the fact that, for obvious reasons, some data may have become outdated.

If you prefer, you can try the ready-made assembly with a web interface from members of the forum. For example:..

With some luck, the list will be gradually added.
Gargoyle
You can try informal, butquite working versionfor our device.
X-wrt
Another variation on OpenWrt. The firmware was created by the Chinese for the Chinese, so that you and I may have some problems with its development. Anyway, the detailshere.
Pandorabox
And again the Chinese firmware. Due to the complex installation and problem rollback I can not recommend it for beginners. But, if you have a craving for adventure and no fear of a serial port, thenlinkfor a brief description and instructions.
Entware
In truth,Entwarethis is not exactly firmware, but rather a set of tools and packages that allow you to extend the capabilities of any, including stock, firmware without losing all its benefits. For example, on the factory firmware, you can run a torrent client or some server, while retaining the ability to use hardware NAT. Too hard? Dont be upset! With cynical deception and dirty blackmail, we managed to lure one of the leading developers of the project, namely, uv.* Zyxmon (Strictly between us, but, most likely, in the appearance of OpenWrt on our device, there are also much of his "guilt" .)
}-)
In general, if you are polite and tactful, he may answer questions and share step-by-step instructions for beginners.
For now you can studythis postand walk on the links available in it.
F.A.Q.
Official F.A.Q. from the ASUS support page.
OpenWrt or Entware? What is better for me to flash from the drain?
Both stock and OpenWrt are currently fast and stable. So it makes sense to jump from the factory firmware only in two cases:
  1. On the drain there is no necessary functionality or something does not work as expected.
  2. Are you bored.
As for Entware, its packages can be, with equal success, put both on the drain and on OpenWrt.
What is the processor in this router?
The router is set SOC IPQ4018, produced by Qualcomm. Its characteristics can be found in the company booklet:
Attached fileipq40x8-ipq40x9-product-brief.pdf(1004.5 KB)
Is there a torrent client in the stock firmware?
Not. But there isway around this problem.
What file systems does the router "see"?
On the stock firmware, empirically, NTFS, EXT, FAT are confirmed.
OpenWrt, after installing the appropriate packages, can work with almost anything.
How to choose a place to install the router?
Strongly simplifying the radio signals emitted by WiFi, they behave, approximately, as visible light. That is, when choosing a location, it makes sense to imagine that the router is a light bulb, and any obstacle is heavily tinted dirty glass and, focusing on this, estimate where it will cover the maximum area.
Does the position of the antennas matter?
Not too big, but it has. It is very individual and depends on many factors. However, before experimenting, it makes sense to bring the "horns" to the position recommended by the manufacturer. Most likely, it will be optimal.
Attached Image
Is it possible to force the router to block ads?
Yes, there are several ways, and OpenWrt is available.special applicationwith a lot of settings. But, if you just need to reduce the degree of marketing stupor, it will be enough, on any firmware, to replace the addresses of regular DNS servers withAdguard:
IPv4

IPv6
2a00: 5a60 :: ad1: 0ff
2a00: 5a60 :: ad2: 0ff

Or:
IPv4 with child filter

IPv6 with child filter
2a00: 5a60 :: bad1: 0ff
2a00: 5a60 :: bad2: 0ff

After rebooting the router, you can count on, approximately, such a result.
Regular DNS
Attached Image
AdGuard DNS
Attached Image
Are OpenWrt components updated throughout the release life cycle?
Yes, packages in the repositories are updated quite often. As part of the "numbered" release, developers, as a rule, do not add new functions, but only correct errors or make certain optimizations. Although it happens in different ways ...
You can always see which components of the firmware can be updated by running in the console
opkg update && opkg list-upgradable

Strictly speaking,when everything works, it's better not to touch anything, but if it seems to you that as a result of the “system update”, life will play with new colors, you can, just in case, make backup settings, perform
opkg update && opkg list-upgradable | cut -f 1 -d '' | xargs opkg upgrade

If there are system components in the list of updates, the router can break the connection. This is normal. Wait a few minutes until the router again lets you through SSH and retry the command.
In case of problems, you can always return to the original state by running
firstboot

or using the modefailsafe.

Manuals
Known Issues
  • It is extremely rare to find a defect that manifests itself in the form of a hiss, which comes out of the router body under load. (Timeandtwo) Probably one of the power chokes makes noise. It seems that this does not affect the operation of the device and can even be solved at home by “digging” the guilty coil with glue, but it would be better for everyone if you eliminate the problem in advance by carefully checking the router before you buy it.
Different utility

Topics Curator: dullish

Post has been editeddullish - 16.07.19, 23:55
Reason for editing: Gargoyle

Rep: (6)
* Syntax, The torrent can not be fooled, the speed is always more than 10MB / s.

Rep: (8)
I also purchased this unit to replace the old D-Link DIR-620.

Internet speed measurements (100 Mbps rate):

By wire on a laptop (a gigabit switch is still in the way):
Attached Image

2.4 GHz WiFi (distance to the router is about 3 meters, in the same room with the router, the connection speed is 72 Mbit / s):
Attached Image

WiFi 5 GHz (the distance to the router is the same in the same room, the connection speed is 150 Mbps):
Attached Image

Phone Lenovo Vibe P1.

Rep: (20)
I use this router for a little over 2 months. The firmware is really very raw. The stability of the work is poor, but the level of cheaper counterparts from TP-Link, if not worse. Older Asus models work in this plan work perfectly, and this new one clearly stands out against their background not for the better.

Special problems with the speed of the router did not notice. Is that a slight bias in favor of Upload to AC. But this may be the problem of the network card of the laptop.
WiFi cardIntel (R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
Tariff 500/500
2.4 (connection speed 150Mbit / s)
Attached Image

5AC (connection speed 433.3 Mbit / s)
Attached Image

Cable (1Gbit / s)
Attached Image

Post has been editedSilentAssasin - 14.01.17, 16:20

Hello everyone, everything works on this router, but one RT-AC58U glitch does not work androyd phones, it connects everything but the play market does not work and that’s it.

Rep: (0)
Like a normal router, nothing falls off even more after rt n66u (dark junk knight) antennas are traveling 5 db, just turned off NAT support because the waffle fell off once
Well, we would wait for the firmware from Merlin to be washed down, and so the jambs have not yet seen a hut of 45 sq. m everywhere a full antenna and near the entrance too
Hang on 2.4 (laptop, tablet, 2x-phone) 5-smart TV;)

nothing falls off

Lucky. My stable 1-2 times a day loses WAN connection. Only the reboot helps, and it is a long infection.

Friend! Who connected the samba drive, tell me how?
I can not see it in the Windows 10 network environment. Before that, there was an rt-n16 with an external drive connected. It was configured to access different folders for different accounts. Everything worked. I switched to the subject, I connected the same disk to it and I can not see it in the environment. Turned on the guest input - also not visible in the network environment of Windows.
The webmord drive on the "network map" page is visible with the correct parameters.
Tell me where to dig?

Rep: (450)
* Doctor AV, in settings of a samba, permissions to reading / record are established? Can you show the settings screen?

* yuran72 Yes, installed. I can not throw screens - the beast is at home, and I'm at work.
But these settings should not affect the visibility of the disk in the environment. The disk is not visible at all: (I feel that this is a Win10 jamb ... I will be a shaman from this side. Search for an answer in Google indicates this.

* Doctor AV, And when you connect to a computer router with Win10, the disk does not fall off? And then I noticed (yesterday), the eldest son has a laptop with Win10, as soon as he connects to the router via wifi, the disk falls off. Prior to this, the same garbage was, the son came to NG, I sinned on the disk. And yesterday, the son arrived at the student holidays, hooked up the beech and then it began. On a computer with Win7 and Linux, there is no such problem.

PS Maybe that's how you tryASUS RT-N18U - Discussion

Post has been editedyuran72 - 23.01.17, 15:25

* yuran72, The drive does not fall off when connected.
Access to the disk is opened if you enter the IP address of the router or the name of the disk in the settings of the samba in the address bar of the explorer. But when you restart the link to the disk from the explorer disappears. Although in the account management record for disk access is preserved.
Writing access to the network drive in account management did not help. How many other recipes from the Web did not help. While I will manage access by name. And then we will see. Or find a solution. Or it will resolve itself :) It is strange that only I have drawn such a problem. So, this is not a sabzh problem, but a computer problem. Although, computers 2 (desktop and notebook), and on both such nonsense is observed.
Settings samba such. I don’t know what “Sparse NTFS file support” is, but it doesn’t affect the visibility of a disk in a network environment.
Attached Image

* Doctor AV, And if you try to connect as a network drive. When you open the explorer on the left Network, not her PC, Connect a network drive. Register the path to the disk, OK.

PS Try again like this: asus samba is somehow wonderful. At the root of the disk, create a folder with the name in Latin (English layout, for example, Shara) and all that in the root of the disk move to this folder. Reboot the router and comp.

Post has been editedyuran72 - 24.01.17, 07:14

* yuran72, Connect as a network drive can only one folder. These disks remain after reboot, but do not produce them by the number of folders. Copy everything into one folder is not an option. For the sake of experiment, I am not ready to move the 750G external disk into one folder ... Simply put a shortcut on the start screen on this disk.

By the way, I tried to connect two disks through a passive USB splitter. Disk without external power is not started. To drive with external power can be accessed. I wonder how the two drives with external power on the splitter will behave ...

Doctor AV @ 01.24.17, 23:59*
Connect as a network drive can only one folder.

Well, I wrote about it, so I proposed the option all in one folder. I have almost done so. Two folders, one with media files, for dlna, and in the second everything else.
Doctor AV @ 01.24.17, 23:59*
For the sake of experiment, I am not ready to move the 750G external disk into one folder ... Simply put a shortcut on the start screen on this disk.

the master is the master ...

* yuran72, Happiness came - a disk connected to the router appeared in the network environment.
Whether the cable that goes to another router, or the attempt toturn on the computer SMB.In general, now I feel like a white person :)

Can anyone know when merlin or tomato firmware filed

People, tell me, please, it is not possible to set up a time machine on it?

Rep: (134)
Hello everyone! In general, I bought this miracle and for now I’m puzzling how to change the region in the router because the phone doesn’t see, but many devices do not see 5hertz waffles can you help with advice? or give instructions?)

* farmat It is necessary to change the channel in the settings of the 5 GHz network. For example, at 36

Rep: (134)
* harsh666 ,

Unfortunately, there is no that the most interesting apple technician sees them 5 Hz, but the rest 2.4 only

Through telnet, I tried to change from GB to US when rebooting everything returns to its place

In general, I gave it to my relatives. I will go on puzzling with what kind of router I know that I’ll take a Chinese, enough with these eminent brands))

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 07.29.19, 07:20