> Attention!

New threads need to be created only inroot partition! In the future, they will be processed by moderators.

Kobo Aura One | [7.8 "] [E-Ink Carta HD] [1872 x 1404; 300 dpi] [Backlight]

Rep: (13)
DiscussionKobo Aura ONE
Discussion пїЅ | Purchase | Firmware, patches, mods, russification

Attached Image

Device Description: New flagship model from Kobo. Unique screen 7.8 "300 dpi, backlight ComfortLight PRO with adjustable color temperature.
Specifications
Operating system: Linux
Screen Type: E-Ink Carta HD
Screen size, inches: 7.8"
Screen resolution: 1872 x 1404; 300 dpi
Touch screen: Yes (capacitive) Built-in lights: Yes, with adjustable color temperature
Supported text formats: EPUB DRM, EPUB, PDF, TXT, HTML, RTF, PRC (MOBI)
Supported graphic formats: JPEG, BMP, PNG, TIFF, GIF, CBZ, CBR
Audio support: Not
Built-in memory: 8 GB (6890 MB available to the user)
Memory Card Support: Not
Bluetooth support: Not
Wi-Fi support: Yes
Text-to-Speech support: Not
Battery: up to 1 month
Sizes, mm (Sh x V x T): 195.1 x 138.5 x 6.9
Weight: 230 g
Other: Ability to add custom fonts
Products webpage: www.kobo.com

useful links

Reviews and other videos

First impressions:
The reader I bought on eBay came to me from Canada on September 20th to replace my old Kindle 4 (non-touch). In the official store Kobo eReader Store, the date of the sale was postponed all the time, sales started on September 6 (if I'm not mistaken), then postponed to mid-September, then to the 23rd, and at the time of this writing as the date Receipts for sale indicated September 30, 2016
What can it say? Either they have a flurry of orders and they do not have time to produce a sufficient number of readers, or in the first installments (and therefore, in my reader too) there were some shoals that need to be corrected before continuing production.

So, what shoals did I find:
  • The screen is slightly yellower on top than on the bottom. The gradient is smooth and almost imperceptible, smooth transition across the entire height of the screen. Observed when the backlight is on.
  • When the backlight is on, there is a very small bright dot on the screen. And, as I understand it, not on the screen itself, but on the front surface of the reader. Apparently, the defect of this matte surface from the inside. When the backlight is turned off, the point is not visible absolutely at any angle, even at the light. It does not distract from reading, if you do not remember about it :)
  • For some reason I can not connect to two Wi-Fi access points. Networks are visible, but an error occurs when connecting. It is curious that connects to other networks without problems.
  • When turned off (not in sleep mode, namely off), the Natural Light setting is not saved, i.e. backlight color temperature. I think it will be corrected in the following firmware. Fixed in firmware 4.1.7729.
  • I would like a smoother adjustment of the color temperature of the backlight using the buttons on the sides of the slider (similar to adjusting the brightness). Now the adjustment step is too big, uncomfortable to use.

Now about the pleasant - about the merits.
  • Reader weight. I thought it would be harder, but no - it is lighter than my Kindle 4 in its original backlit cover.
  • The screen does not collect fingerprints, which made me very happy. At first I thought that the prints would interfere with reading. Other surfaces of the reader are also unmarked.
  • Water resistant :) I don’t know if it’s really useful to me, but the sensations after removing a working reader from the water tank are pretty funny. By the way, water is poured directly into the case and when it comes out it starts flowing out of the micro USB port. From the cracks also oozing.
  • The backlight is continuously adjustable over a wide range. If you put on 1%, then in normal lighting it is not even visible that it is on, but the contrast becomes great.

Feedback will be supplemented and refined.

OpinionComradedocent778, opinionafter a couple of months
OpinionComradeAdamdos
OpinionComradenicko_d
OpinionComradelvsw
OpinionComradePaul.

Firmware: 4.3.8842 Kobo Aura One (Post lvsw # 58759644)
4.49298 Kobo Aura One (Post lvsw # 61301801)

EBay cover scratched display thank you comrade MarcusXXL

Post has been editedvadeus - 02.07.18, 09:15
Reason for editing: Converting fb2 to KEPUB

Rep: (616)
* pan87, affects. I say, like a man with glasses.

Pan87 @ 10/19/2016, 18:21*
How many lines do you have on the screen, while reading comfortably for you?

I have 28 lines. Font adjusting sliders: font size about 30%, line spacing 0%, margins 0% (although fields do not affect the number of lines).

Odin-Zemlyanin @ 10/15/2016, 10:47 PM*
I want to buy, but for pdf. And so far no one will indicate how it works with them in conjunction with koreader

Just, apparently, no one put koreader :)

Post has been editedT-rrexx - 20.10.16, 11:42

Rep: (6)
Hello.
Got my KA1 today. The first impression was mixed.
I have always been an ardent supporter of Kindle readers and I consider Voyage to be the best 6 "reader on the market. Almost all Kindle readers - Keyboard, DX, PW1, PW2 and Voyage have passed through my hands. By the way, they all still work fine. However, 6" always it was not enough - age, vision and reading speed - I wanted the reader a little more with backlight.
I took Pocketbook 840 half a year ago - the screen quality turned out to be unacceptable in contrast and in spots of illumination. The price is also not for children. And finally, KA1.
Pros:
- the size
- screen quality (much better than Pocketbook)
- operating system (any fonts and their settings and a lot of tweaks - for example, full-screen mode without margins above and below)
- the weight
Minuses:
- no paging buttons
- build quality is terrible - for example, unevenly glued screen
- body material (at the Pocketbook level and behind any Kindle)
- screen quality (worse than Voyage)
- only his native and not very common KEPUB understands well.
Everything is natural IMHO.

But the screen size and the acceptable quality of the backlight outweigh everything and I decided to make it the main reader. Configured and tweaked - full screen, deactivated synchronization, etc. etc. I uploaded books in EPUB format (I did not find how and how to convert it to KEPUB).

And he caught a glitch that casts doubt on my desire to leave KA1.
The problem is that all books loaded in it are shown with the right edge trimmed. As if cut off the last 2-3 letters.

I use Caliber and ask you not to offer a switch to another converter.
I can hardly cope with Caliber. Rather, I use it in fully automatic mode.

With books from the Kobo website everything is in order.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Post has been editedAdamdos - 24.10.16, 12:23

Hi again. Sam figured out what’s the matter. The full-screen hack was to blame. Disconnected this hack and everything became fluffy and beautiful.
It’s a pity, of course, that without a hack, about 5-6 lines are lost due to the footer and header, but with this hack the books become unreadable - in any case, those that were transferred using Caliber in auto mode in EPUB and MOBI formats.

The wording of the question is changing: how can I make EPUB / MOBI books appear without the edge trimmed to the right with the full-screen mode turned on?

PySy: Until Amazon releases a reader with 8 "- KA1 will be my main reader. It remains to choose which of the 2 copies to keep for yourself. One
with a bluish (cold) backlight and therefore a little brighter, the other with a yellowish (warm). The yellowish is a bit more contrasty, but there is a bright bright dot at the bottom right (it looks like a broken pixel, but definitely not it).
Perhaps I’ll leave it with a bluish backlight - I can do yellowish through the night reading mode.

Post has been editedAdamdos - 24.10.16, 12:20

Rep: (2)
Is Amazon going to release an 8 "reader?

Rep: (153)
Adamdos @ 10.24.2016, 10:59*
I use Caliber and ask you not to offer a switch to another converter.
I can hardly cope with Caliber. Rather, I use it in fully automatic mode.

Adamdos @ 10.24.2016, 11:14*
The wording of the question is changing: how can I make EPUB / MOBI books appear without the edge trimmed to the right with the full-screen mode turned on?

Still, I dare not offer a caliber. Freelib. Give it a try. On the Kindle, it even converts without configuration (as set) well converts by simply dragging fb2 into a gray screen. What could be easier?
Attached Image

Post has been editedvadeus - 25.10.16, 12:12
Reason for editing: spoiler

The release of Amazon’s 8 "reader - there’s even no rumor about it. It's just my dream that they will ever do it. I will be the first in line for her (-:

Rep: (59)
Orelvn @ 10.24.2016, 20:27*
Still, I dare not offer a caliber. Freelib.

KVM, using Freelib to run Fb2epub is somewhat redundant: rolleyes:

I take back my words that the KA1 screen is worse than Voyage’s. After 3 days of active use in different modes, I think that at least they are the same in contrast, and KA1 is superior to Voyage in the uniformity of illumination.
Thrilled with the sensations when reading with KA1. I get real pleasure. Return to 6 "Reader
it is now seen in a terrible dream, to such an extent that he decided to keep both copies for himself (in reserve, so to speak). Moreover, there will probably not be official sales in the CIS as usual.

Rep: (0)
Who managed to install Koreader?
Did byinstructionsinstalled beforestart menuandupdate to him

I put the corridor folder into the .adds folder, but then when I start the start menu and click on the corridor, it does not start, only the screen will blink once.
Firmware 4.1.7729

Adamdos @ 10.24.2016, 11:59*
I uploaded books in EPUB format (I did not find how and how to convert it to KEPUB).

This makes the Caliber plugin called "Kobo Utilites". When you copy a book to the reader, the conversion occurs automatically.

Rep: (31)
Friends, is this reader suitable for reading pdf with sheet size as in a regular book?

Rep: (10)
By the way, who has autonomy? I read in the evenings with 10% brightness - so for 2 full charges I managed to read 70 hours ... IMHO - something is not enough ... Maybe the battery needs more cycles for swinging?

I read at 70% brightness. About 5-6% of the battery is consumed per hour. Those. I have a maximum of 20 reading hours approximately. This is when the wi-fi is off. Not much, of course, but it’s not difficult for me every three days to charge. About the fact that the battery will then become better, I believe weakly.

Rep: (214)
I read and realized that my Onyx MobiDick is not as bad as it seemed to me at first. In many ways, a better subject.
Just the screen is not a card, but a pearl.

Rep: (10)
Well, in comparison with Cleopatra - I left myself an aura :) There are no Onyx glitches with turning over a couple of pages. Yes, and the touch on the aura works clearly, but on the onyx, instead of paging, anything can happen ...

Rep: (176)
* Adamdos,
Yes, somewhere like that. 5-7% per hour for me with the same backlight. I think if you turn off the backlight, there will be more - but what's the point?

As for autonomy - I do not know, if it has become better over time, then very little. As I said, autonomy is enough. We charge smartphones every day and don’t whine anything.

Car-soft @ 10.30.2016, 10:10*
Friends, is this reader suitable for reading pdf with sheet size as in a regular book?

Yes, it sucks, it’s suitable for this, PDF is not its element :)

Yuri2000 @ 10.30.2016, 18:25*
I read and realized that my Onyx MobiDick is not as bad as it seemed to me at first. In many ways, a better subject.
Just the screen is not a card, but a pearl.

Hmm, but isn't the screen in the reader the most important thing?

Rep: (3931)
T-Rrexx @ 10.31.2016, 11:59*
Is the screen in the reader not the most important thing?

Sane software is also not the last value.

Adamdos @ 10.30.2016, 17:53*
it’s not difficult for me every three days to charge

Listen, yes this trouble absolutely means. Doesn’t it stretch for at least two weeks? Scandal and Achtung.

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 09/15/19, 05:42