> Attention!

New threads need to be created only inroot partition! In the future, they will be processed by moderators.

Kobo Aura One | [7.8 "] [E-Ink Carta HD] [1872 x 1404; 300 dpi] [Backlight]

Rep: (13)
DiscussionKobo Aura ONE
Discussion пїЅ | Purchase | Firmware, patches, mods, russification

Attached Image

Device Description: New flagship model from Kobo. Unique screen 7.8 "300 dpi, backlight ComfortLight PRO with adjustable color temperature.
Specifications
Operating system: Linux
Screen Type: E-Ink Carta HD
Screen size, inches: 7.8"
Screen resolution: 1872 x 1404; 300 dpi
Touch screen: Yes (capacitive) Built-in lights: Yes, with adjustable color temperature
Supported text formats: EPUB DRM, EPUB, PDF, TXT, HTML, RTF, PRC (MOBI)
Supported graphic formats: JPEG, BMP, PNG, TIFF, GIF, CBZ, CBR
Audio support: Not
Built-in memory: 8 GB (6890 MB available to the user)
Memory Card Support: Not
Bluetooth support: Not
Wi-Fi support: Yes
Text-to-Speech support: Not
Battery: up to 1 month
Sizes, mm (Sh x V x T): 195.1 x 138.5 x 6.9
Weight: 230 g
Other: Ability to add custom fonts
Products webpage: www.kobo.com

useful links

Reviews and other videos

First impressions:
The reader I bought on eBay came to me from Canada on September 20th to replace my old Kindle 4 (non-touch). In the official store Kobo eReader Store, the date of the sale was postponed all the time, sales started on September 6 (if I'm not mistaken), then postponed to mid-September, then to the 23rd, and at the time of this writing as the date Receipts for sale indicated September 30, 2016
What can it say? Either they have a flurry of orders and they do not have time to produce a sufficient number of readers, or in the first installments (and therefore, in my reader too) there were some shoals that need to be corrected before continuing production.

So, what shoals did I find:
  • The screen is slightly yellower on top than on the bottom. The gradient is smooth and almost imperceptible, smooth transition across the entire height of the screen. Observed when the backlight is on.
  • When the backlight is on, there is a very small bright dot on the screen. And, as I understand it, not on the screen itself, but on the front surface of the reader. Apparently, the defect of this matte surface from the inside. When the backlight is turned off, the point is not visible absolutely at any angle, even at the light. It does not distract from reading, if you do not remember about it :)
  • For some reason I can not connect to two Wi-Fi access points. Networks are visible, but an error occurs when connecting. It is curious that connects to other networks without problems.
  • When turned off (not in sleep mode, namely off), the Natural Light setting is not saved, i.e. backlight color temperature. I think it will be corrected in the following firmware. Fixed in firmware 4.1.7729.
  • I would like a smoother adjustment of the color temperature of the backlight using the buttons on the sides of the slider (similar to adjusting the brightness). Now the adjustment step is too big, uncomfortable to use.

Now about the pleasant - about the merits.
  • Reader weight. I thought it would be harder, but no - it is lighter than my Kindle 4 in its original backlit cover.
  • The screen does not collect fingerprints, which made me very happy. At first I thought that the prints would interfere with reading. Other surfaces of the reader are also unmarked.
  • Water resistant :) I don’t know if it’s really useful to me, but the sensations after removing a working reader from the water tank are pretty funny. By the way, water is poured directly into the case and when it comes out it starts flowing out of the micro USB port. From the cracks also oozing.
  • The backlight is continuously adjustable over a wide range. If you put on 1%, then in normal lighting it is not even visible that it is on, but the contrast becomes great.

Feedback will be supplemented and refined.

OpinionComradedocent778, opinionafter a couple of months
OpinionComradeAdamdos
OpinionComradenicko_d
OpinionComradelvsw
OpinionComradePaul.

Firmware: 4.3.8842 Kobo Aura One (Post lvsw # 58759644)
4.49298 Kobo Aura One (Post lvsw # 61301801)

EBay cover scratched display thank you comrade MarcusXXL

Post has been editedvadeus - 02.07.18, 09:15
Reason for editing: Converting fb2 to KEPUB

Rep: (3922)
T-Rrexx @ 09/20/2016, 2:09 PM*
Operating System: Other

What other o.O? Linux is the same.

What other o.O? Linux is the same.

And really, he is. :)
Thanks, corrected.

Rep: (29)
Make your small video review reader ...? How does the Russian text look like?

Make your small video review reader ...? How does the Russian text look like?

Honestly, I have never shot reviews :) I don’t know what happens. If you really need to - take off in the coming days. True, the quality of the video will not be very - except for a smartphone I have nothing to shoot for. In general, the cap has a link to an English-language review, everything is short and to the point. Russian text looks the same as English, no differences. In addition, you can add any fonts yourself, even Arabic script.

P.S .: and let's better on "you" :)

Post has been editedT-rrexx - 21.09.16, 14:55

Rep: (1)
And I would be interested to look at the review)

Well, on Monday I will try to do.

Rep: (176)
And I became the happy owner of Aura One. I confirm all the features found, except for Wi-Fi - I have no problems with it. But - in order.

The quality of the screen: approximately at the level of Kindle Voyage. High resolution, fonts remain readable after six partial redraws (in Pocketbook InkPad 2, everything fell apart after the second partial redraw). The contrast is excellent, at the level of the Kindle Voyage or the latest generation of Paperwhite. The big screen is perceived just fine. The dimensions are similar to the iPad mini, but it is noticeably lighter.

The backlight is of excellent quality, but not perfect. On the Kindle Voyage, the uniformity of the backlight is slightly better, but on the Pocketbook InkPad 2 it is noticeably worse. Indeed, when you activate the night mode, the upper part will be yellower than the lower. And really there is some bright point (I have it at the very bottom of the screen, at the very edge). Personally, I have not yet seen devices with a similar diagonal on which the backlight would be implemented at least as well. On the same InkPad 2 there was a strong unevenness, right a blot in the middle of the screen.

In life, these things do not interfere with the reader. I just read and enjoy.

About the software. He is raw. It is clear that the device has just come out, but one update has already arrived on it :) The dampness of the firmware is expressed in the following things:

- You can forget about books in Russian in the .mobi format for now: once every few pages, some (random) characters turn into pseudographics. I note that these same files are perfectly readable by the Amazonian Kindle without any problems.
- some large books in the ePub format cause the reader to freeze (can only be treated by rebooting). "Big" is from 500 pages + cover picture.
- Many books in fb2 format are not drawn correctly: the reader displays the text in gray, not black. Experimentally, I found out that the problem does not occur only in those fb2, in which the tag<body>immediately follows<section>, then<title>, </ title>, and only then the main text. Failure to comply with any condition (in many fb2 tag<section>often put after<title>and the tag itself<title>often neglected) results in gray rendering. And this is not about books from pirate libraries - with the same flibusta there are no such problems now. No, incorrect books were honestly bought at different times on different sites (for example, on feisovet), and on all other readers they open correctly.

That is, problems arise with .mobi, .epub, .fb2 ... And, I almost forgot! fb2 supports only uncompressed, .fb2.zip - the reader no longer understands.

You can throw your fonts into the "fonts" folder, the reader will correctly perceive them.

Finally, third-party readers (CoolReader with vlasovsoft, as well as Koreader) are installed and working, but they are bad: they are not optimized for the screen size (all controls are too large), do not support the light sensor and do not support the night backlight mode. Those. no sense in them yet. But fb2 is rendered at the same time without glitches, this does not take away.

Thanks for the reviewer. The campaign still needs to wait until the software is finished.

Rep: (5)
Good day! I bought myself Aura One! From the above, I can note some unevenness of the backlight - the lower right corner when the natural light is on is a little darker, it does not interfere with reading, when the natural light is turned off, the backlight is quite uniform. Wifi works without problems, there are no dots on the screen. By book formats - in fb2 there is no table of content, epub is scrolling noticeably slower than fb2 and mobi, but this is again not critical, but what really upsets is the battery’s battery life - it’s 100% charged in the evening, wifi is off, backlight 7%, after that it was read for about 40 minutes, then it went into sleep mode and 89% remained in the morning. For the reader in my opinion this is too much. Maybe some kind of indexing is turned on? at one time on paperwhite was something like that. What about you?

It would be interesting to find out how its performance in pdf usingkoreader , because as I understand it, his native software is not at all suitable for reading pdf. It is possible in comparison with kindle, on which, by the way, you can take notes in a pdf document if there is a text layer

In general, pdf is pre-converted, so I cut the fields with footersacrobat Further k2pdfort , then the printout, and again acrobat where we transform the solution into a vector function (ClearScan); in terms of performance for a kindle document, it turns out almost like the original vector, so to speak, newly made with word 'a.

As promised, took off a smallreader reviewer .
Enjoy watching :)

Battery zhor - from the evening it is charged to 100%, wifi is turned off, the backlight is 7%, after that it was read for 40 minutes, then transferred to sleep mode and 89% left in the morning.

I talked a little about autonomy in the video.
I read about other Kobo readers that they still eat the battery in hibernation (on the Kindle 4, for example, there is no such thing. As there is no classic on the iPod, it’s with a 160 GB hard drive, although it’s not a reader, but still )). I just turn off the long press of the power button, I hardly use sleep mode only if I stop for half an hour.

Posted on 09/26/2016 22:28:

The campaign still needs to wait until the software is finished.

And why wait, buy now, read now, finish the firmware, the reader will be updated. In my opinion, with reading thin. lit. she is doing fine now.

T-Rrexx @ 09/26/2016, 10:25 PM*
buy now

How to order is dumb. and friends will not come soon from there (in our country the tax is large and the limit is small

IntegraL_511 @ 09/27/2016, 12:17*
how to order dumbly

I bought on eBay. The parcel went to Moscow for 10 or 11 days. Everything arrived safe and sound, even the box was not crushed, the packaging was also excellent, the seller (from Canada) was wrapped in bubble polyethylene.
So even the Russian Post couldn’t break :) I don’t know about the Post of Ukraine, do you have trouble there too? And what is the limit? In the Russian Federation, such as, 1000 euros per month.
In any case, when buying on eBay, there is a protection of buyers, if a damaged package arrives or does not arrive at all, the money will be returned in full.

* T-Rrexx,
Right now I live in Minsk, we have 22 euros here (((in Ukraine, by the way, 150 euros, which, in fact, also does not save the situation. I'll think of something, most likely.
And right now here is the choice between Kobo Aura One and kindle paperwhite 2015.

ps and how in Kobo with dictionaries? if you read foreign literature?

Post has been editedIntegraL_511 - 27.09.16, 13:38

Rep: (0)
Pages are always turned over, without any complaints?

Rep: (60)
As in all kobo. Epub in the native shell a little slower.

IntegraL_511 @ 09/27/2016, 1:25 PM*
and how in Kobo with dictionaries? if you read foreign literature?

I did not try it myself, I do not know. I think that the same as in other Kobov reading rooms.

Zzz_Britva_zzz @ 09/28/2016, 01:59*
Pages are always turned over, without any complaints?

I did not notice any problems with page turning. I would like more accurate settings of tap-zones, just like in AlReader :) But this is already a dream ... It's easy to get used to, it doesn't distract from reading.

Rep: (0)
Here it is, the perfect device :) I think to buy in a couple of months, in order to avoid marriage. I saw in the topic information that you can put different readers, is it difficult. do this? And who has heard, maybe similar devices with a diagonal of ~ 8 and high resolution can be released soon? Already half a year trying to pick up something, everywhere 6: (

Rep: (3922)
Virus191288 @ 10.10.2016, 22:43*
is it hard? do this?

Just like hereKobo glo

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 08/09/19, 21:55