Lumia 650 first ownership experience. | The first experience with MS Lumia 650 pros and cons.

Rep: (1)
Greetings. I hope the information helps someone to decide on the choice of device and find answers to questions. More than a month ago, I changed the platform to Windows. My choice was the Lumia 650, and after a while I can share my impressions.
Let's start with the poles.

1. The phone was bought for work and bribed by the ease of interaction with Big Brother. I was aware that the smart is built on a rather weak platform - but this drawback in the technological chain of interaction with the phone was not noticed anywhere. The interface is responsive, there are no delays in launching applications. I don’t play heavy games, but I put Asphalt and several similar ones I tested. There are no lags on the average settings and the child will be able to play, the graphics quality is good.

2. Design. This was one of the criteria for choosing a phone - among the dominance of remnants and replicas of iPhone and Samsung, it looks pleasantly different from them! Whole, and even better than in the pictures. Black was bought and the stylish black of the operating system looks very harmonious in the complex - strictly, in a businesslike way, like a man in a three-piece suit with a bow tie. The phone lies well in the hands and is controlled. The metal frame looks elegant. For small hands, there is a function to reduce the screen - when you press the "WINDOWS" button, the screen moves down and occupies only the lower half, it is not difficult to get to phone applications. I usually do not use this, but the chip seemed to me a pleasant addition to the functionality.

3. It was pleasantly pleased that almost all the necessary installed services started without dancing with a tambourine right out of the box - GPS, 3G mobile Internet, Google and email accounts - everything caught up and worked predictably.

4. The native on-screen keyboard was very pleased - it works quite intellectually, puts spaces in the right places, starts with a capital letter after the dot, offers unobtrusive error correction, has a convenient copy and paste function, etc. - it is possible to easily and simply set the cursor in the right place of the word and edit it or easily select part of the sentence. (the fact that androids annoyed me terribly). The structure of switching to other languages ​​and service symbols seemed quite convenient for me. Unfortunately, Skype does not allow typing in landscape orientation and you have to type messages with one hand. In other applications, there is no such problem, for example, I type in e-mail and texts in Word with two hands, with my thumbs, turning the device in landscape orientation.

5. Pleasantly pleased with the fine-tuning of all applications and services for accessing the phone’s resources - almost everyone can configure the need or prohibition of working in the background, access of a program to the microphone, camera and memory. With these settings, it is easy to increase the level of privacy, as well as affect the battery consumption. The phone does not go in the middle of the night updating VKontakte or loading offline maps with a further reboot. These processes are user-controlled if desired.

6. The phone allows you to customize yourself to your needs very flexibly. For example, if on Android backgrounds (and not everywhere), it is necessary to indicate the location of each program installation, then here you can configure all the nuances in advance - where to install programs, where to download content from the network, photos, video, music - all storage they are configured individually ... If for some reason the application needs the device’s memory and not the SD card, it will inform you about the need to install it in the phone’s memory and immediately change the path settings for the application.

7. I have a variant of a phone with two SIM cards. There is a convenient feature for combining call log folders and notifications into one. If necessary, you can remove the second “tile” of dialers and SMS from the main screen at all - the entire call log and communication logs are then not divided and go to one basket. Moreover, their sorting (including outgoing / incoming calls from different SIM cards - are saved.)
Among other things, contacts can be “linked” into one book. So all your addresses from Skype, Facebook and Email will be located in one place where the phones. In this case, the search is carried out at all addresses and contacts. It's comfortable. If desired, in the phone book you can show all contacts or only those that have phone numbers.

8. MS Office products out of the box. It's nice that the edited document can be sent by mail and read on the desktop with the correct formatting and inserts. Word allows you to include in the structure of the document photos taken right there, the phone’s camera, hyperlinks and correctly saves tables after editing.

9. Offline maps. A great thing since the era of Symbian smartphones. They like it very much, although out of the box they are rather meager in the settings - I did not find the functions for working with POI. But traffic jams shows. Detailed. They have been updated twice since April - that is, the process of refinement and updating is ongoing. The disadvantages of HERE cards include the need to change the scale of the map by tweaking the screen (as in a browser). This is extremely inconvenient to do while driving. Much easier and more convenient this is done in Yandex Navigator by clicking on the "+" and "-" icons, directly on the map. It’s more convenient to poke with one finger than pinching the phone behind the glass.))

10. The curtain with notifications and quick access functions was very pleased. It really has what it’s often needed “right_right_ now” - a flashlight, switching phone operation modes, notes for quick recording (calling up a notepad), rotation lock, turning on network services, GPS, adjusting the screen backlight level - it’s really chosen for what every time I want to climb into the wilds of software or occupy useful tiles on the useful place of the main screen. By the way - this is also configurable.

11. Screen buttons. To whom it is - and I consider this an advantage in comparison with sensory ones. They can be removed at any time and they do not take up space on the screen. They are always backlit and in the dark they are perfectly visible.

12. Screen. In comparison with the Sony Z3 compact and other more budget and more expensive models, I can say that the screen deserves praise. Bright, contrasting. The technology for improving readability in bright sunshine works great - bright sunshine is not an obstacle to receiving information from the display. OLED display looks good.

Now about the shortcomings.
1. Battery .... Pairs of hours of picking in the settings, working with the Internet, picking in software, allows you to kill a battery from 100% to 54% in literally 4-5 hours of activity. In fact, during normal operation, taking into account 3-5 calls for 10-15 minutes each, a couple of hours of Internet hours in the evening - up to 1.5 days is the maximum that it can with average power-saving settings (without special saving mode, with normal comfortable screen brightness) If you work hard and turn off consumer traffic, synchronization, updates, reduce screen brightness - then it survives until the evening of the second day. Typical city dweller at the outlet. Charging included low power at 500mA. Charges slowly, about 4 hours.

2. From the dialer program, there is no direct choice of the contact for dialing the usual Android application. In order to call a specific phone from the address book, you need to open the call log and from there there is already a button to access the contact list, or open not the “dialer”, but immediately the address book “PEOPLE” (as they call it.) And it’s funny - WIN10 helpfully prompted that for quick access to a contact, you can type the first letters of the subscriber’s name on the numeric keypad of the dialer (letters near the numbers), but 1- there is no switch to the Cyrillic alphabet anywhere, 2- it doesn’t work anyway — he persistently dials numbers and not letters) ) In general, wonderful.

3. Due to the fact that Cortana in the Russian version is dumb and deaf, I can not make a voice call through the bluetooth headset. This was very frustrating since all my phones from Motorola "Rezor" to Nokia smartphones on Symbian supported voice control functionality and I was very used to it. Especially on the road while driving.

4. The application for making calls - calls immediately. just click on the contact in the notebook and the call goes. Without warning and confirmation. Out of habit, I called the former at half past one in the night, while I sorted out the phone book sorting contacts. ))) Be careful guys).

5. There is no class of ability to configure access to the Internet through Wifi using static IP. From the word - at all! For objective reasons, I have disabled DHCP, and this caused a serious problem, despite the fact that the mobile is not WIN8.1 but WIN10, which seems to fix this problem. Perhaps this will be decided by the update. While there seems to be a solution - assign the desired IP to the poppy address of the phone directly in the router. (I did not check the success of this solution - no time.) I solved the problem by installing a paid application from the Microsoft store that fixes this problem. It is not very stable but it works.

6. Double Tap on the screen in the navigation area puts the phone to sleep. That's great! BUT! a question to the audience - why can't I wake him with a double tap?

7. Forget about gesture control. The GESTURES beta utility does not work on this phone model, but there are no similar functions of its own in the system. This is sad - since it added excellent functionality - muting a call when the phone is turned face down, auto-pick up when the phone approaches the ear, and much more. I hope they fix it. These are really useful things.

8. Who said there is an oleophobic coating on the glass? Who said that, he did not see him on the iPad. Finger glides well. But the prints on the glass leave with might and main. If it is, it is very weak.

That’s everything from the main one.

During operation, the phone showed itself well. There were 2-3 hangs requiring a reboot.

I really liked the phone. It feels good potential. He really is SMART, to the extent that the device does not strive to be smarter than its owner and at the same time it feels that he can become a reliable friend and partner in work and in some places in rest. Of the features of the work, it came out funny with Bluetooth. I could not send a picture of the good old blue tooth. Well, I did not find, either in the context menu, or in any other - the ability to send via bluetooth. You can choose from MMS, electric mail, synchronization with OnDrive, NFC ... everything ((Where ??? It turned out to appear in the context menu - you must first enable it in the settings.

Stay tuned ...

Post has been editedMurmis - 01.06.16, 02:00

I recently bought this device for my wife - I really like it, but there is one question: when photographing (primarily with the front camera), post-processing takes place, which is designed to improve the quality of the image, but on a selfie it actually increases the contrast very much and you can see skin pores, the photo turns yellow or crimson ..
as they did not try to conjure with the settings - post-processing does not turn off
is there any way to solve the problem?
hardware?
installing alternative applications

The front camera really shoots in contrast and it seemed to me even in some cases better than the main camera, but yellowness and obvious schools of color rendition were not noticed. An update came twice to her. Did you install updates? Perhaps this will solve the problem. The store has a menu item "Downloads and Updates" There, click the "Check for Updates" button. The system will display a list of programs and utilities to which you can download updates.

and you didn’t deal with the camera settings?

I tested the main one in every possible way and understood the settings. (For work, periodically you need to shoot quickly and quietly). I made a dozen shots with the front-facing camera, found the quality satisfactory and scored on it)) I don’t use it ... I slammed most of the shots. That left a test selfie with my father - you can look at how it takes off on my machine in normal daylight. In Exif, you can configure, I think, a look.https: //www.dropbox.co..._18_19_08_Pro.jpg? dl = 0

Post has been editedMurmis - 17.06.16, 12:38

By the way, the cameras here are mediocre. Fully fit into the ideology of the budget model, although the appearance of the phone constantly hints at a certain middle + or higher class. Do not trust the appearance of the phone)) I often need to take interiors for work, and so - my old Nokia N-73 at 3.2 Megapixels with Zeiss optics - mercilessly slowed down at startup, had a tiny matrix size, low resolution, but, damn it, I measured the expopair as a professional camera — I’ve never been mistaken in the exposure and perfectly focused on weakly contrasting objects. At 650 lumi - alas ... in the backlight, for example (the view of the room on the windows) it is not realistic to remove - the windows will be bright - everything else will blacken to disgrace.

Murmis @ 06/17/2016, 12:38*
In Exif, you can configure, I think, a look

and Exif what is it and where to look?

EXIF is metadata that is automatically generated by the camera and is written together with the photograph in a jpg file. These metadata contain information about the shooting conditions. (Sometimes even the coordinates of the shooting location.)
Basic information can be seen by right-clicking on the photo file, selecting "properties" from the context menu, go to the "details" tab (WIN7)
More detailed can be obtained in specific image viewers such as XnWiev, Irfan Wiev, ACDSee or the like.
This will help you to appreciate how big the difference in the quality of my and your shots is regarding the camera settings.

thank

Continuing cohabitation with the phone I would like to share further experience in its use.
Therefore, today the post will be about software.

Unfortunately, I was faced with the fact that most of the pre-installed, as well as additional, third-party software refuse to work without an Internet connection. Although it would seem that the functionality of some programs does not require access to the network at all. I will write more about this, since there is a risk of running into unforeseen expenses when roaming. And it's not about the updates. Most programs are synchronized to verify the authenticity of the purchased license or push telemetry data to the network on the developer's server. In general, you have to be careful here.

PROGRAM ANALYSIS.
In the process of working with the phone, I use the top of the phone screen as an information panel, installing applications there that display information on the screen tiles andDo not require the actual launch of this application.

The horror at the top of the screen in the status bar is a problem for my eyesight, especially while driving. %% of the battery charge is not displayed there, and a tiny icon does not give a clear understanding of the charge level. Time is displayed sooo fine print. And if the signal level of a cellular communication is microscopic, and thanks to him for that, then in order to see the time I have to strain my eyesight.
This led to the choice of programs that are located in the main part of the screen in the form of live tiles. (except for the actual phone features.)

This includes third-party and pre-installed programs that should be displayed on the screen:
- time, Perfect clock. A program that displays the current time on a large tile.
- exchange rate, UA rate - allows you to see the current exchange rate.
- the weather, MSN Forecast
- date (with month and day of week) MS Calendar tile
- Planner case reminder, MS Calendar
- as well as information about the battery charge. Battery Sense.
This is software that forms the information component of the screen.

Functional software that is displayed on the screen:
1 alarm clock. Immediately that did not like.
- When the phone is off - the alarm does not work! Unfortunately. You won’t save battery.
- When activated, there is no information how much is left before the alarm rings, although this is possible for the better. I am a night owl and I was always scared by the phone’s statement that 3.5 hours were left before the call.
The rest is solid pluses - the call is playing up and not waking you up with the desire to throw the phone against the wall. The service has world time, stopwatch, timer. The wake-up time is displayed on the live tile of the screen.

1. Email Outlook. I connected work mail and Google mail for home. Both accounts must be selected separately to read incoming.
However, there is a setting to combine the Inbox from both accounts. It’s convenient, but I don’t use it, because it’s easy to get confused in the sources from which the letter came - sometimes you need to know what is working and what is not and what address it all comes to - it is desirable to understand. Of the shortcomings in working with IMAP, I find it not very convenient to sort signed and non-signed folders. Technically, the program remembers the last opened folders, but since I have a lot of signed folders and I always have to go into setting up the accounts and switch between them and accounts - it’s visually difficult to distinguish the folder that you are synchronizing (signed) from the folder you are not subscribed to.
In my opinion, it would be more interesting and more convenient to see the tree structure of signed folders (as for example in Thunderbird), and those that are not working with should be completely removed. Nevertheless, the mail is implemented quite conveniently. Links, attachments, and inserted elements in the form of pictures with HTML markup are visible in letters. If the file format matches the application installed on the phone, you can immediately open the attachment. (PDF, JPG, office documents, tables, etc.)

2. The calendar is a great solution for organizing affairs, but as an informant on the main screen with a reminder, there are features.
Minuses:
It's a mystery to me why the name of the month is not displayed on the tile. Only the day and day of the week. Have you ever seen a calendar where the name of the month is not indicated? That's it! And this is periodically in demand. Yes, and it looks imperfect on the tile.

5. Weather from MSN. Aesthetic enjoyment. A very beautiful application with parallax layout. Beautifully traced pictogram and interesting statistics. But again, there are features when displaying information on a tile.
Rather than cons, but features
- For example, on a small tile it does not display information at all. (you can at least display the current temperature) on a medium and large size tile, the composition of the information is slightly different, so there is a paradox - on an average size you can say that it is cloudy at the current time, although it is actually raining, but only on a large tile where is the forecast given a few days in advance for the current date, a pictogram with a cloud and rain is displayed. Apparently this is due to the fact that the average size of the tile displays information about the next few hours of weather, and it can rain for a short time. Because of this, the data may diverge from reality, since the update may be delayed and the weather may change. But for a large tile, the weather is DISPLAYED PREVIOUSLY for the day. And since rain was very likely that day, he draws a pictogram with rain.
- When I first launched the stock version of the application on a tile in the hourly chart, AM and PM were always present after hours, since the time is in a 12-hour format. After the update, for some reason, now, without an exact indication of the time, only numbers, which is not entirely convenient. After 12 comes 1, 2 ... and so on. By the way, if you switch to English in the phone, the function will be restored.

6. Watches I use Perfect Clock. Choose from several
- I liked the look of the tile,
- Following the general style of the OS. the ability to work with a transparent background.
- the ability to output in digital form on a medium-sized tile.
- Switch to 24 hour format.
(And then he put one program for the sample, and she writes me at noon 0 hours 15 minutes.)

This is how my screen looks.

For now.

Stay tuned.

Attached images
Attached Image

Rep: (0)
Owners of this phone, tell me please, is it possible to install Chrome, Opera, Firefox browsers from the application store? Is there a VLC video player, a program for working with a torrent? Is flash playing? Is there Kodi (XBMC) and online tv?

Opera mini is. Some other Chinese Maxson or something like that. Chrome and Fox are not. VLC is, but its functionality is slightly less than in the desktop version. Applications for Online TV are from different publishers. Unfortunately, I don’t know about the rest.

Rep: (10)
There is also UC browser HD, pretty good. Opera mini is like the fact that it launches the recently blocked most popular torrent tracker. I download torrents directly to the phone.

Can’t you lose a flash? For example, for android there are browsers that play flash (for example, Photon).

Rep: (12)
I bought a few days ago to play after a 10 year old android / ioso use to see again what the MacroFacs managed to do :)
The experience of using windows mobile 2003 stopped me 10 years to buy anything related to Windows on the phone at all, who found these times the PDA knows how it worked then and how many times a week it was necessary to do XP. Who doesn’t know, I’ll say briefly: it didn’t work at all then, the calls didn’t go through, it was possible to make a call once, everything hung up, it slowed down, it rebooted and all that. But then there were no androids or iPhones, there were 3310 nokia without cameras and with black and white screens, on which there was a WAP at the price of hell knows how many cents per kilobyte. Tobish you to download an empatrice would cost 100 bucks. Or there’s still no WAP ... I don’t remember. In short, the PDA could go to a real Internet and chat on ICQ and it was cool, but if it is a communicator with GPRS and GPS, then it’s good. But it was buggy. And Nokia 3310 she .... worked.
Well, okay, that was a long time ago and since then at least 10 years have passed, let's see what Windows 10 mobile can do today.

And today he began to work. It’s normal to work, it’s no worse than the same android / iPhone or Nokia 3310. Windows today is well optimized, the battery does not eat, it does not stupid, it does not whistle, menus work smartly even on such a weak device by modern standards as lumia 650. Windows finally it worked fine and that’s the most important thing.

Now, about the device itself:
The phone is very cheap. I bought it on taobao for 450 yuan (the rate at the time of purchase was 8.6 rubles per yuan) 3800 rubles. What can I get on Android for this money? Nothing. And here you get amoled, and a good camera with a flash, even by modern standards, and LTE, and bluetooth and Wi-Fi and GNSS and even NFC. Plus, the phone is quite strict in the design style and the same OS. Full stuffing as they say.
Using the device is quite convenient even on the go, the interface can be configured to make the tiles as small as on the android icon or enlarge them so that you can get into them with your finger without problems while driving, while the phone hangs in the holder, without removing the phone and not being distracted from the road . Even the average size of the tiles is enough, but they can be made even more. Here I ride an electric bike - the south of China, it’s always warm, the phone hangs in the holder on the steering wheel and using Windows on the go became more convenient than it was with the android, I had to stop there, because it’s more difficult to use the phone than by car. And here, without problems, it hangs next to the handle and you can reach out with your thumb and not aiming to launch the navigator or player, also answer the call. It is also convenient to make the function that you can wake up the phone with a double tap on the screen, and you can put it to sleep with a double tap on the panel below. On the go, in the holder it is convenient to use it.
The phone, like the android, still practically replaces my office - I can open any file, see it, send it by mail or chat, stay in touch with my colleagues and can advise them through various social networks, messages, Skype, etc.
Toys - well, the touch screen, you don’t really have to play it, you need to buy a joystick to mine, and the device is not the one to play games, I have age of emperies castle siedge on it, it slows down 15 FPS on it, but there’s a lot it’s necessary, it’s not as dynamic as toys from consoles or 3D action games, it’s okay there. And the more I do not play anything on it, this is not a game model. Well, it’s unlikely that it’s possible to collect several balls by color, tetris, cards, dominoes, chess, he will play it normally, but I don’t play it, I need a quake or even a grafon :) But I knew about it when I bought this phone - see what Windows can do now and take pictures more or less, and not play toys. He copes with his tasks, office - ok, pictures - ok, Internet \ chat - ok.

Now the cons. It is only one - a little software. Quite a bit. All due to the fact that Macrosofaki released the normal system too late. The market is already occupied by androids and iPhones, all programs are written for them, but there isn’t any under Windows - no one uses it having sad experience from the distant 2005s. Everyone switched to androids and all of them, in general, are completely satisfied. The only hope of mobile Windows to attract application developers is UWP - a single universal application for a computer, phone, augmented reality glasses and other devices running on Windows. UWP is a very convenient thing, in fact, both for developers and users, maybe soon the number of programs in the store will replenish because Windows will soon replace androids and ios from tablets, normal full-fledged X86 Windows 10. 11 inch touch screens of tablets allow it to be used without testing inconvenience that they say everything is petty. In Windows, this UWP is integrated as an additional function of the "Windows store", but it should play the role of a locomotive and pull Windows 10 mobile. If this does not happen, then .... Windows will remain the third or superfluous in the list of mobile OS and nobody will especially need it despite the fact that it is even more competent than android worked, but because android and iPhone are happy with everything - they work and work fine, they worked fine from the very beginning, and Windows was buggy. Androyd is cheaper, iPhone is more expensive - even the economic niche is already occupied here. A similar situation occurs with Linux on computers when Windows and poppy have already taken their places earlier.

In general, the phone itself is super, Windows super price / quality ratio - 10 + .... but too late. Although we'll see, it all depends on the desire of programmers to write under Windows :)

Post has been editedAngel1024 - 10.01.17, 10:19

I bought myself such a device. Games from the Internet can be downloaded but not installed, for everyone this way or for me only.

Hello. Regarding the fast-running battery: Faced the same problem. But everything was decided by disabling the nfc module

Rep: (-8)
* shegolevn72,
Everyone has

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 08/24/19, 11:35 PM