DD-WRT - Alternative Firmware | [firmware] General theme. FAQ, software discussion, tips, problem solving

Rep: (39)
OpenWrt / LEDE (General theme) | Build OpenWrt / LEDE from source | Collect bin (dump) for the programmer | Upgraded UBOOT loaders

DD-WRT FIRMWARE

DD-WRT - free alternative firmware for wireless routers

Attached Image

Latest version:See the official FTP
In this topic, you must place images under the spoilerPicture

Difference DD-WRT firmware from factory
First, it is worth noting that DD-WRT firmware is an operating system based on the Linux kernel. Even with the default settings it has a very wide functionality, much wider than in the factory firmware. Built-in components such as FTP server, Samba, WOL and more. Through the Web interface, detailed statistics and load on the channels of the local, wireless network and the Internet are available, as well as the load on the processor and the memory of the router.

If you configure the router to install additional packages, you can turn your router into a home media server. A connected hard drive with a torrent client installed, broadcasting ITPV via HTTP, for viewing via wi-fi. If you have a TV with DLNA standard support, you can connect the TV to the router and watch IPTV, as well as watch movies from your hard drive.
Opportunities
13 languages ​​(including Russian)
802.1x (EAP (Extensible Authentication Protocol) encapsulation over LANs)
Access Restrictions
Adhoc mode
Afterburner
Client Isolation Mode
Client Mode (supports multiple connected clients)
Client Mode WPA
DHCP Forwarder (udhcp)
DHCP Server (udhcp or Dnsmasq)
DNS forwarder (Dnsmasq)
DMZ
Dynamic DNS (DynDNS, easyDNS, FreeDNS, No-IP, TZO, ZoneEdit, custom, and others)
Hotspot Portal (Sputnik Agent, Chillispot)
IPv6 Support
Jffs2
MMC / SD Card Support (hardware modification required)
NTP client in a client-server basis
Ntop remote statistic
OpenVPN Client & Server (only in -vpn build of the firmware)
Port triggering
Port Forwarding (max. 30 entries)
PPTP VPN Server & Client
QoS Bandwidth Management (Optimize for Gaming and Services / Netmask / MAC / Ethernet Port Priority)
QoS L7 Packet Classifier (l7-filter)
RFlow / MACupd
Routing: Static entries and Gateway, BGP, OSPF & RIP2 via (BIRD)
Samba FS Automount
Syslog to remote server
Rx / Tx Antenna (Select or Auto)
Uptime / Processor Utilization
Site survey
SNMP
SSH server & client (dropbear)
Startup, Firewall, and Shutdown scripts (startup script)
Static DHCP Assignment
Style (Changeable GUI; v.23)
Supports New Devices (WRT54G V3, V3.1, V4, V5 and WRT54GS V2.1, V3, V4)
Telnet server & client
Transmit Power Adjustment (0-251mW, default is 28mW, 100mW is safe)
UPnP
VLAN
Wake On Lan client (WOL)
WDS Connection Watchdog
WDS Repeater Mode
Wireless MAC Addresses Cloning
Wireless MAC filter
WMM (Wi-Fi Multimedia QoS) or Wireless Multimedia Extensions (WME)
WPA over WDS
WPA / TKIP with AES
WPA2
Xbox Kaid (Kai Engine)
Web Interface Screenshots
List of supported devices
How to flash (install) DD-WRT

factory-to-ddwrt.bin - file for installing DD-WRT from under the router's native firmware.

webflash.bin - file for updating from already installed DD-WRT.

For some models, only one file is available for all operations.

Forthe originalDD-WRT installations:

In the address bar of the browser we typehttp://192.168.1.1orhttp://192.168.0.1,depends on the router, enter the data for authorization and update the filefactory-to-ddwrt.bin through the standard update menu in your router.
After some time, the router will reboot, after which you will see the updated interface (DD-WRT's address is 192.168.1.1 by default). On the main page when you first start you need to specify the username and password for administration.
Firmware dd-wrt installed, you can proceed to configure. (It is also recommended to do a reset to the factory settings after the firmware and before the setting)

If you have problems with the inability to log into the DD-WRT admin panel after the firmware, go to the network connections on your computer and make sure that the IP addresses are issued correctly: ip: 192.168.1.xxx (the last digit may vary) mask: 255.255.255.0 gateway: 192.168.1.1. If the addresses are different, then the easiest option is to restart the network card (on and off, then the network will again ask for addresses via dhcp), if this does not help, enter manually, for example ip 192.168.1.2, mask: 255.255.255.0 gateway: 192.168. 1.1 and try again logging in to the browser at 192.168.1.1.
Going to the web interface of the router, the tab "Settings" - "Basic Settings" - find this item:
Attached Image
Must be "DHCP server", if not, put.
The fact is that if there is a "redirection" your router will redirect the provider's IP address to your computer, that is, it will work as a switch.

ForupdatesDD-WRT already installed:

In the DD-WRT menu, select “Administration” - in the submenu, select the “Firmware upgrade” item. Click on the button “select file” and specify the firmwarewebflash.bin which was downloaded earlier. Click on the “Upgrade” button, the software update process will begin.

Options for rolling back to stock (native) firmware
Important!If you do not know how to return the stock on your router or do it for the first time, before performing any operations with the router, it is better to ask in this topic or topic visited by your router.Not all methods are universal., each router needs its own approach.
FAQ

AT: How to properly flash the router?
ABOUT:
  • Do not flash the router via WiFi; connect it to your computer with a network cable;
  • Before and after the firmware, make a hardware reset of the router (for example, "30/30/30");
  • Disable firewalls, antiviruses and ad blockers on your computer;
AT: What is "Reset 30/30/30"?
ABOUT: Press the reset button and hold it. After 30 seconds, turn off the power without releasing the Reset button. After another 30 seconds, release the Reset, turn on the power, wait until any other light on the router lights up except for the power supply, or the PC does not see the router, again we hold the Reset. Wait another 30 seconds and release the reset.

AT: How to view the system log?
ABOUT: You must first enable the syslogd service in the Services tab. (The field with the server name can be left blank.) And follow the link http://192.168.1.1/Syslog.asp, The page can be accessed only through the address bar.
If you don’t open the System Log page, then you have an old firmware version, and the log messages are written to the file / var / log / messages, which can be viewed with the commands cat, tail, more, less, etc.

AT: How to connect telnet to the router with DD-WRT?
ABOUT: Open a session in telnet client with the address of the router (by default 192.168.1.1) and the standard port (23). When prompted for a username (login), enter the standard root name - even if you changed the username to log in to the web interface. And when prompted for a password, enter the password you set for the web interface.

AT: How to load into the router not one script, but two?
ABOUT: Put the & sign at the end of the first script and load the second one. If you later need to load the third one, put the & sign at the end of the second script, etc.

AT: The Russian language does not work. Why?
ABOUT: Most likely the problem is in the firmware, the Russian works again in all releases of 2016. Also in the old stable versions.

Q: "retracker.local" stopped working, what to do?
ABOUT: It is necessary to turn off "No DNS Rebind" in the section "Services" - "Services" - "DNSMasq".

Q: Can I enable HTTPS?
ABOUT: You can, but to use it you need a special browser. Also, if you uncheck HTTP and leave only HTTPS, then you will most likely have to do a reset, since you will not access the Web GUI through a regular browser. (If you uncheck both checkboxes, you won’t go to the web interface at all)

Q: Does Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) work?
ABOUT: Yes, but you need to enable it manually, in the section "NAT / QoS" - "UPnP"

Q: I climbed in the settings and now I have a low rate of return or reception, why?
ABOUT: Most likely you have enabled "QoS", check if it is, then disable it.

Q: I set the TX Power to 20, but shows 16 dBm, why? I know for sure that the router can work on this power!
ABOUT: Perhaps the power is limited, because of the region you selected in the WiFi settings.Change to another, for example "US".

Q: TX Power has set 20 (or 21), the region is needed, but the router shows 19 dBm, why?
ABOUT: Maximum power can be obtained only on channel 6.

Q: How to set up a router in repeater mode?
ABOUT: Instruction

Q: How to reassign a burned out WAN port to a LAN?
ABOUT: We read here .

Q: How to get the maximum WiFi speed on routers with N mode
ABOUT: We read here .

Q: It is written on the official website that I lose the warranty when installing DD-WRT. This is true?
ABOUT: Theoretically, yes, but you can flash the stock, and most routers will be out of the box.

Q: I need a built-in OpenVpn, is it in this firmware?
ABOUT: Yes, but only in firmware for routers with more than 4 mb. of memory. (You can find out how much flash memory in your router model, for example, in WikiDevi )

Q: I need the router to automatically turn on and off WIFI on a schedule, DD-WRT can it?
ABOUT: Yes that's instruction

Q: DD-WRT does not allow the provider’s local resources (personal account, etc.), what to do?
ABOUT: You just need to remove one tick. instruction

Q: How to change the TTL value on the router?
ABOUT: Here is instruction

Q: How to enable multicast on DD-WRT?

Q: How to make the router work as a switch, but with wifi?

Q: How to make the router automatically restart at the right time?

Q: If you don’t see the neighboring computers on the router’s local network (for example, on Samba)

Q: I switched the language to Russian and in some places (for example, on the tab of the MAC filter of a wireless network) there are cracks.
ABOUT: Yes, this is a bug; it is very easy to overcome - by forcibly switching the page encoding in the browser to UTF-8
(for example for chrome there is an encoding menu plugin)instructionAlso, this bug is missing in the version of r27086 and earlier.

Q: How to activate the firmware on Ubiquiti routers.
ABOUT: No Only buy a license for dd-wrt on the official site. There are no working key generators.

Q: My provider has local sites in the .local zone, having trouble accessing them. How to be ?.

Q: I need to block a site on my home network, for example, youtube. How to do it?

Q: I heard that using dd-wrt, you can somehow access Pandora, HBO Now, Spotify, Amazon Video and Netflix outside the US without using vpn. How?

Q: I need to get internet via wifi and distribute it as usual, that is, connect the router with a "client". Can this be done?
ABOUT: Yes that's instruction
useful links
Download DD-WRT

Topic Curator: Topic with no curator

Post has been editedstp101 - 31.07.19, 12:34

Rep: (5)
I have such a router: Router Model Asus RT-N13U B1 Firmware Version DD-WRT v3.0-r28598 std (12/24/15), in the original Dlink 620A1 ..... Recently, DDNS from no-ip has stopped working .com, i.e., can not connect to the server to update the domain when changing IP .... Here is the log:
Thu Jul 28 09:25:12 2016: INADYN: Started 'INADYN Advanced version 1.96-ADV' - dynamic DNS updater.
Thu Jul 28 09:25:12 2016: I: INADYN: IP address for alias 'horror32.myftp.org' needs update to '188.244.196.71'
Thu Jul 28 09:25:27 2016: INADYN: IP: Error '0x16' resolving host name 'noip.com'
Thu Jul 28 09:25:27 2016: W: 'RC_IP_INVALID_REMOTE_ADDR' (0x12) updating the IPs. (it 0)
Thu Jul 28 09:35:48 2016: INADYN: IP: Error '0x16' resolving host name 'noip.com'
Thu Jul 28 09:35:48 2016: W: 'RC_IP_INVALID_REMOTE_ADDR' (0x12) updating the IPs. (it 1)
Thu Jul 28 09:46:09 2016: INADYN: IP: Error '0x16' resolving host name 'noip.com'
Thu Jul 28 09:46:09 2016: W: 'RC_IP_INVALID_REMOTE_ADDR' (0x12) updating the IPs. (it 2)
Thu Jul 28 09:56:30 2016: INADYN: IP: Error '0x16' resolving host name 'noip.com'
Thu Jul 28 09:56:30 2016: W: 'RC_IP_INVALID_REMOTE_ADDR' (0x12) updating the IPs. (it 3)

Maybe someone knows the reason and how to fix it? It pains the reluctance to keep the client on the computer, although everything works fine in the client, the address is updated ...

_Danil_ @ 07.26.2016, 13:22*
The most stable of the latest version is r29739 --- 07/01/2016

So is r29739 or r30082, which leads by reference?

Rep: (39)
* Horror32,
I apologize. Typo. I have corrected. What's the linkr30082 (07/01/2016)
If you encounter problems onr30082putr27086that advisedstp101. Only with a complete reset.

P.S May I ask your router model?

Post has been edited_Danil_ - 29.07.16, 09:10

* _Danil_,
By the post above, I wrote a model ....;) Dir-620A1

_Danil_ @ 07.29.2016, 08:07*
If you encounter problems on r30082

There was, the Internet ceased to be distributed in LAN and by wire and by air, while access to the router was in both environments .... The router itself saw the Internet, pings from its interface normally went .... I tried resetting the settings and reconfiguring, I tried and to fill in the previously saved configuration - it doesn’t distribute, rolled back to r28598 and everything worked right away ... In principle, everything works on it, only site filtering does not work ...

Rep: (523)
only site filtering does not work ...

It does not work in r3xxx versions either.

It does not work in r3xxx versions either.

Well, why then keep this functionality in the interface if it doesn’t work ... On all standard firmware and for long and tplinks this filtering goes off with a bang, but now which year can’t be washed down ....

On all standard firmware

Standard firmware dlinkov and tplinkov, this is a multi-functional leaky corner

Rep: (0)
Good day. I just can’t understand how the Access Restrictions function works on this firmware. The router is tplink_tl-wr741ndv4, I tried various revisions of the firmware, the latter was r30082. There are 2 devices on the local network (android smartphone and netbook), which need to prohibit access to the Internet from 21.30 to 07.10. For this, I create 2 policies:
1) Denies access to two MAC addresses daily from 00.00-07.10
2) Denies access to two MAC addresses daily from 21.30-23.59
The time on the router is accurate (picks up from the NTP server). Everything seems simple and logical, but nifiga does not work. Stupidly blocked Internet access to these two devices. Well, well ... I’m creating a third filtering policy that blocks access to the site (any_necessary_site.com) at the same 2 MAC addresses from 11/7/21/29. I save, restart the router and still ... at the permitted time, devices do not go to the Internet. Maybe someone came across and knows how to overcome. I like the DD-WRT firmware, but I had to return to the stock one.

* Turntablist,
Have you read this thread at all?
You would read a couple of posts above before writing.

Rep: (33)
version from 07.30 have not tested yet? and then on 01.07 the web interface is often not loaded to the end - the offset of the table and the missing text. (tplink741)

and then on 01.07 the web interface is often not loaded to the end - the offset of the table and the missing text.

3xxx versions are generally buggy in terms of web interface
put r27086, this is from 2xxx, I personally put this version on a lot of tplinks, it works like a clock.
And in the new versions there is not much useful added, Short GI added something else insignificant.
Attached Image

Post has been editedstp101 - 31.07.16, 15:44

Clear. Until 01.07.16, I had a stable version from dd-wrt.com 2013. Stumbled upon beta updates here. I have a wireless client bridge configured, it works stably on both the old and the new firmware. Updated for fun.

PS: does Tp-link have 740 percent 400mhz?
741 - 350mhz

Post has been editedacidant - 31.07.16, 15:52

* acidant
The routing functions work stably on all versions, but the web interface in the new ones is clumsy (I have krakozyabra in some places, and here you say that it doesn’t load up to the end sometimes), and in some older versions there are small shoals, in some versions of samba between computers did not work, in standard (what is offered from the site) r21061 AES encryption does not work. Everything works in r27086. Why did I write about her. In general, of course, everything is written in the header.
PS: does Tp-link have 740 percent 400mhz?
741 - 350mhz

I think that depends on the audit
TP-Link TL-WR740N from the OpenWrt wiki
CPU Ram Flash Network USB Serial JTag
Broadcom BCM5356 @ 333MHz 8MiB 2MiB 4 x 1? Mod?
Atheros AR7240 @ 400MHz 32MiB 4MiB 4 x 1 mod Yes No
Atheros AR9330 rev 1 @ 400MHz 32MiB 4MiB 4 x 1 mod Yes?
Atheros AR9331 rev 1 @ 400MHz 32MiB 4MiB 4 x 1 no Yes?

By the way, good inexpensive routers that WR740 that 741

Post has been editedstp101 - 31.07.16, 15:55

Halfofftop
If I change my tplink 741 to 841 (2), will I increase the range of the wi-fi transceiver in client bridge mode? just now sometimes I catch interference, and sometimes the speed sags by 90%, does the second antenna fix the situation ?, in the TP links it suits both price and functionality.

* acidant
Halfofftop answer
At 841 MIMO 2 2 well, in theory, if the transmitter also has 2 antennas (the first router), then it should be better, but no one canceled the interference here

Post has been editedstp101 - 31.07.16, 16:41

Rep: (16)
(I have krakozyabra in some places,

Change the encoding to Unicode UTF-8 in the browser settings, the cracks will disappear.

Dominus-79 @ 08/01/2016, 04:47*
Change the encoding to Unicode UTF-8 in the browser settings, the cracks will disappear.

I have UTF-8 and it costs, all the same krakozyabry were.

Rep: (16)
Stp101 @ 08/01/2016, 15:15*
I have UTF-8 and it costs, all the same krakozyabry were.

Krakozyabry
Attached Image

Unicode (UTF-8
Attached Image

Checked on different routers, on different versions of DD-WRT

* Dominus-79,
Well, specially updated to the same version as on your screenshots, for the sake of verification
Attached Image

Attached Image

But this is especially beautiful
Attached Image

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 08/12/19, 01:11