> Attention!

New threads need to be created only inroot partition! In the future, they will be processed by moderators.

265 pagesV  1 2 3 4 5 6 > »  

> Onyx Boox C67ML Darwin / Magellan 3 | 6 ”E-ink Carta HD with backlight, Android OS
Optom
Message#1
24.04.15, 21:25
Local snob
[offline]

Group: Friendssavagemessiahzine.com
Messages 1503
Check in: 15.10.10

DiscussionOnyx Boox Darwinand modifications
C67ML Carta Series: Carta, Carta2, Carta +, Carta2 +, Darwin, Darwin 2, Darwin 3, Darwin 4, Magellan 3,Vasco da Gama , Vasco da Gama 2, Dontsova Book
Description | Discussion | Firmware | Testing beta versions of firmware | Common questions - Owners Club

Attached Image
A photo
photo from the official website of the manufacturerhttp://www.boox.com/and distributorhttps://onyx-boox.ru/
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Technical characteristics of past generations
General data for the entire lineup with a brief indication of the differences.
Display: 6 ", E Ink Carta, 16 shades of gray, 14: 1 contrast
Touch screen: capacitive with multi-touch function
Resolution:
- 758 × 1024 for Darwin 1/3
- 1072 × 1448 for Darwin 2/4
Snow Field feature: Darwin 3.4
Backlight: MOON Light - for the rest; 5 or 8 diodes
Processor: 2-core, 1 GHz
RAM: 512 MB
Built-in memory: 8 GB (first revisions Magellan 3 - 4 GB)
Expansion slot: For microSD / microSDHC memory cards
Sound: there is no hardware support in the models of the McCenter - the exclusive distributor in the Republic of Belarus, the Russian Federation, the USA, Ukraine (a series of travelers); through headphones in readers for other countries (C67ML Carta series)
Wired interface: USB 2.0
Supported file formats: Text: TXT, HTML, RTF, FB2, FB2.zip, FB3, MOBI, CHM, PDB, DOC, DOCX, PRC, EPUB
Graphic: JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP
Other: PDF, DjVu, CBR
Wireless interface: Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b / g / n;
Battery: Lithium-Ion, 3000 mAh capacity (previous revisions - 1700 mAh)
Operating system: Android 4.2.2
Dimensions: 170 × 117 × 8.7 mm
Body color: Black, gray, white, brown, blue (different color sets are available for different modifications)
Weight: 182 g (previous revisions - 169 g)
Equipment:
all modifications: e-book, USB-cable, user manual, warranty card;
additionally Darwin, but not Magellan 3 / Vasco da Gama: smart cover case, 220 V power adapter

F.A.Q. (first 150 pages of the topic in 80 questions and answers)
mini-FAQ TOP-10 topical issues
  1. Differences of different modifications : Сarta 1-2, Carta + / 2 +, Darwin 1-6, Dontsova, Magellan 3, Vasco da Gama 1-3 - in the FAQ .
  2. New!To the right of the clock in the system panel appeared button-indicator [<>], when pressed, changes to [+ -] : switch the mode of operation of the physical side buttons page turning - volume control appeared in firmware 1.7.0 - including, to ensure compatibility with third-party reader applications that can flip through the volume buttons, but do not understand commands PAGE_UP / PAGE_DOWN (fbreader, kindle and others); the indicator was hidden on readers without audio output up to firmware 1.8.3-mc, but accumulated Problems and developers did not find another solution how to stop hiding it
  3. What is and how does the snow field work: in the FAQ and in discussion from 143 pages
  4. Normal running time for a 3000mAh battery according to distributor information: 25 hours of reading with occasional use of the backlight, without using Wi-Fi, or about 2 weeks of continuous sleep mode without using the device. Official recommendations on the advisability of “swinging” a new battery into a 3-4 full discharge cycle — charges by many users are disputed as irrelevant for the type of battery used. Slightly more .
  5. Up!Hide the black status bar with the clock - in OReader switch to full-screen mode (1) tap on the upper center of the text - "full screen" or (2) settings - basic - start in full screen. For other applications
  6. Replacing regular screensavers: In the regular file manager, a long tap on the file with your picture - set as a screen saver for the sleeper - the N sleep screen / device off screen. Read more
  7. My fonts : for standard reader programs, place in the "fonts" folder in the root of the internal memory - create if there is none ( A little more in the FAQ )
  8. Not enough memory to install applications: manufacturer's decision
  9. Read pdf / djvu: (not) is convenient as well as on other readers 6 ". Which application is better to open pdf / djvu
  10. To search screen marking for replacing broken - it is better to request screen marking by reader’s serial number in technical support MakTsentr but it may not be so easy .
Known bugs and features - TOP-5
  1. Some installed applications do not work.
    Applications do not work "in the background"; when selecting an application for opening a book / file, the installed applications are not listed; The applications are disabled and run only by a shortcut from the list of applications. At the same time, the launch message first appears - this is how the new energy-saving "reader mode" from Onyx Boox developers works
    On firmware: 1.8.2-mc-test 2018-02 ... The ability to disable the so-called "reader mode" and switch to "tablet mode" appeared in later beta firmware 1.8.2-mc-test 2018-03 .. in settings: power management - enable third-party services and applications - reboot
  2. Problems in the shell of the book when using AlReader:
    AlReader does not update the last open book on the start screen; does not appear in the selection menu as a program for opening fb2; after opening a book file in AlReader, its cover is no longer displayed on the main screen, and the file disappears from the library and other manifestations of incomplete compatibility of AlReader with the changing Onyx Boox SDK
    On firmware: 1.7.5-mc-1.8.3 Conflict AlReader and OReader when updating the database of readable books. Workaround: (1) use the current version of AlReader and its built-in capabilities without integration with the Onyx shell or (2) reset the settings, use only AlReader, enable interaction with the Onyx desktop in its settings, and never run OReader or (3) orupdate OReaderto the latest version - starting from 1.73, many settings from AlReader have been added (returned) to the application. Comments in the topic AlReader:-1-, -2- -3-; -4-
  3. On the reader without sound support, when you press the paging buttons, a volume control appears
    On firmware: 1.7.5-mc - 1.8.2-mc.Bypass. Resolved in 1.8.3-mc
  4. The regular library does not index zip archives (for example, .fb2.zip books)
    On firmware: 1.8.0-1.8.2. Bypass:1, 2. Reportedly resolved in current -mc firmware
  5. The clock in the system status bar shows the reader’s activation time and is not updated.
    On the firmware: 1.8.2 – mc 2017-12-28. Not to be confused with normal behavior (the clock is updated only when the screen is active); in this case, a reboot is required for the update. Not yet decided.
  6. Auto-shutdown settings are reset after reboot to "manual"
    On firmware: 1.8.2-mc. Reportedly resolved in firmware 1.8.2 – mc 2017-12-28
  7. Smart coverstableputs the reader into sleep mode from the second time: the cover must be closed, opened, then closed again
    On firmware: 1.8.2-mc - ??? Not to be confused with normal behavior (the reader may fall asleep when you open the cover) or hardware problems (the cover does not work at all, or it works, it does not). Should be decided in later firmware.
Other
For brevity, details are omitted. Bugs can occur only in specific conditions.
  • New readers with support for Snow Field in the settings of the pre-installed OReader do not have the Snow Field option (in the General section)
    On firmware: 1.8.1-mc. Bypass -update OReader. Resolved in new installments
  • Do not install custom sleep screensavers
    On firmware: 1.8.2-mc. Bypass, depending on the cause: (1) use regular, not alternativeway to install images; (2) before updating the firmware, flash the image with a new markup from the computer - an increased space for system and user applications (in the FAQ); (3) try another firmware
  • Book covers are not displayed.
    On firmware: 1.8.0-1.8.2. Workaround - (problem fb2.zip support) -1, 2. Not yet decided.
    On firmware: 1.8.2-mc. Bypass - before upgrading, flash the firmware with the new markup (in the FAQ). Not yet decided.
  • When rescanning a full-time library, it closes with an error
    On firmware: 1.8.2-mc. Workaround - roll back to the previous version. Not yet decided.
  • Unable to install / update FBReader. the system is pre-modified
    On firmware: 1.6.x - 1.8.1. Bypass -in the FAQ. Mod FBReader excluded from firmware 1.8.2 (1.8.1-mc)
  • Books with DRM do not open, DRM item disappeared in settings
    On firmware: 1.8.1-mc-1.8.2. Bypass -install the first version of the Onyx Neo Reader. Resolved in 1.8.2 (later versions)
  • Despite the installation of a custom screensaver in sleep mode, the first one still displays the system
    On firmware: 1.7.5.Bypass. Resolved in 1.7.5 (later versions)
  • In regular applications, it is impossible to create a new Google account.
    On firmware: 1.7.2-mc-1.7.5-mcBypass. Resolved in 1.7.5-mc (later versions)
Useful and different

Readers of the C68 line are discussed in another topic:
ONYX BOOX C68 - Darwin 6 / Darwin 5 / Vasco da Gama 3 Discussion / My first book

Past Survey Results
2018 Survey on the overall assessment of the quality of the hardware component of c67ml carta readers
Attached Image

05.2017-09.2017 Survey after the appearance of the Snow Field technology regarding the dispute: whether everyone notices traces of past images when scrolling WITHOUT Snow Field - accordingly, how much this new technology is needed, which reduces artifacts
Attached Image

07.2015-09.2017 Survey from* FOV5 in the subject Onyx Boox C67ML - Firmware about the discussion about the desirability of increasing battery capacity - from mid-2016, the manufacturer increased the battery capacity from 1700 mAh to 3000 mAh!
Attached Image
History of changes caps
12/21/2018 Quality survey closed
12/12/2018 Discussion of the C68 series has been moved to a separate topic, lost old photos, added new ones under different categories.
11/25/18 Gradually update the cap for a new generation
09/16/18 a question was added to the mini-faq on the mode switch of the physical buttons, the known bugs were slightly updated, the question about the defect from the mini-faq was moved to the useful
07/04/2018 VCOM adjustment utilities added to miscellaneous
06/09/2018 a bug has been added to trigger the cover only from the second time.
03/04/2018 feature with auto-freezing of applications in beta versions of firmware - added to bugs
02/16/2018 Calibration of the battery in different
01/23/2018 minor changes
01/16/2018 Added links to modding from* pulsar_85
01/14/2018 Added marked bugs of firmware 1.8.2 – mc 2017-12-28
01/11/2018 Added "bulletin board", minimized bugsadded spoiler "useful", which will be added links to posts from the topic, applications are transferred to the cropper
12/15/2017 The announced Darwin 5 has been added to the list of devices under discussion. The firmware block has been moved to the firmware theme.
09.22.2017 A problem with the display of covers after opening in AlReader has been added to the list of bugs.
09/17/17 New survey
08/23/17 Firmware block
07.28.17 Top 3 bugs rendered from under spoiler, link to VdG topic
07/09/17 Spoiler with bugs and features
07/05/17 The picture is smaller; corrected links
06/03/17 Marketing description under the picture; disclaimer disclaimer for various modifications
.05.17 A complete list of modifications above the picture; warning about the absence of complete firmware for recovery; reference to the generated list of applications; Link to differences Darwin and Magellan 3 moved to the FAQ; refined specifications, mini-FAQ, history of changes in the caps; poll; mention of carta and "other modifications" in title
05.05.17 FAQ
a photo
Attached Image

Post has been editedOptom - 20.12.18, 23:07
Reason for editing: See change history
xGREGORYx
Message#2
02.05.15, 01:26
Guru
[offline]

Messages 2197
Check in: 07.06.11
Honor View 10 6/128

I will change my Magellan 2 to it. Constantly before the eyes of Newton with e-Inc. Map and it is much better than Perl HD. The underlay is lighter and the text is more contrast. Magellan 2 is more in the gray leaves. Backlight saves. And the rest, the book is perfect, and I don’t even think about poker books. Poetlmu aimed at Darwin! Until May 25, I will buy for sure :)

--------------------
Nokia 6600, Nokia N73, Nokia N95 8gb, Nokia N8, Nokia 808, Sony Xperia Z3 compact, Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro, Honor View 10, iPad Air 128gb LTE, Huawei M3 8.4 ", Onyx Boox Darwin 2, Onyx Boox Monte- Cristo 1 & 2, Fiio X5 II, Zidoo X8 & X9s & X10 2.1.22 + rus.
The rain can't last forever ...
sergsum
Message#3
17.05.15, 20:45
Local
[offline]

Messages 264
Check in: 18.09.14
Vernee x

I took in China on aliexpresshttp: //ru.aliexpress.c...30926_32274993286.htmlOnyx Boox C67ML reader. How do I understand she's Magellan 2 or DARWIN ??? It also plays sound through headphones.

--------------------
=====================
Vernee X with firmware X1_20180525
xGREGORYx
Message#4
17.05.15, 22:24
Guru
[offline]

Messages 2197
Honor View 10 6/128

* sergsum,
Neither. After Glow 2 in my opinion it is called. Darwin, Magellan - they only Maktsentr distributes.
If I'm not mistaken, you have an analogue of Magellan 2. You should have a Perl HD screen. This is the main and only (not counting the package bundle and the amount of internal memory) difference between Magellan 2 and Darwin. Darwin and Newton use E-ink Carta.

--------------------
Nokia 6600, Nokia N73, Nokia N95 8gb, Nokia N8, Nokia 808, Sony Xperia Z3 compact, Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro, Honor View 10, iPad Air 128gb LTE, Huawei M3 8.4 ", Onyx Boox Darwin 2, Onyx Boox Monte- Cristo 1 & 2, Fiio X5 II, Zidoo X8 & X9s & X10 2.1.22 + rus.
Sergey V.
Message#5
19.05.15, 21:38
User
[offline]

Messages 62
Check in: 12.02.08
LG G3

xGREGORYx

There is already a version on the carta with 8 gigs on board on the banggood.
But I took Darwin three days ago in a day in Samara for the same money practically.
90 p more expensive like.
jester with him with sound! )
although it would not hurt of course.
But, wait a month from the Chinese reading room ..
found it reasonable to buy here and now.)
xGREGORYx
Message#6
19.05.15, 23:59
Guru
[offline]

Messages 2197
Honor View 10 6/128

* Sergey V.,
Yes, and rightly so. With firmware possible will be easier. And at the Mac Center I like the styling of books. All these scientists, travelers :) Pictures and stuff. And the headphone port is superfluous, I think, only dust will get clogged there. So what to do with it? Listen to music on the e-book? I bet the sound will be very mediocre. Audiobooks to listen to? Again on the ebook. What for? Here it is necessary to read. And everyone has a smartphone in his pocket for a long time, where you can listen to music and an audiobook and it is smaller in size than this e-book. So, for me, absolutely unnecessary detail, and it is correct that the Mac Center 3.5mm Jack drowned out.

--------------------
kerguelen
Message#7
20.05.15, 23:59
User
[offline]

Messages 50
Check in: 16.03.12
Samsung Galaxy A5 SM-A500

Having read about the "magic" e-ink Carta, I wanted to see a miracle today, but the miracle did not happen. The screen without backlighting is not even whiter than my previous Sony PRS T-1 book, where the usual e-ink pearl is. When comparing both screens, Sony has a slightly gray tint, Onyx is warmer, a little beige, but both are darkened equally. This is probably the main disorder. If it were not for the lights, there would be no point in changing at all.

There is one question - is it possible to somehow change the default screensaver image? With the standard it becomes completely sad.
Mike Sinkovsky
Message#8
21.05.15, 03:56
Veteran
[offline]

Messages 1793
Check in: 15.10.05

kerguelen @ 05/21/2015, 01:59*
Is it possible to somehow change the default screensaver image?
In the built-in image viewer there should be an option in the menu, something like "set as a screensaver".
It seems to be. If the firmware is fresh.

And about whiteness - it depends on the instance.
Well, not only the contrast was increased, the number of artifacts after browsing the card is much smaller.

--------------------
Xiaomi A2, Nexus 5X, MagicBook A6LHD
kerguelen
Message#9
21.05.15, 09:15
User
[offline]

Messages 50

And about whiteness - it depends on the instance.

Those. Carta in different instances may be different? I think the same technology should look the same everywhere.
xGREGORYx
Message#10
21.05.15, 11:30
Guru
[offline]

Messages 2197
Honor View 10 6/128

* kerguelen,
Oh, come on! Sonia has a gray screen. I compared Darwin on the Map with Newton on the same map, but with an infrared screen, Captain Nemo (Perl HD, infrared screen) and Magellan 2 (Perl HD). So Darwin and Newton with a really more white substrate and the text in them is more contrasted. And the difference is so obvious that I switched from Magellan 2 to Darwin. Due to the fact that in Perl HD the substrate is gray, and in the Map it goes into yellowness and contrast is added. There is nothing magical about this technology, but it is much more pleasant to read, both with and without illumination.
In the afternoon, compare the screens in the apartment again. Do not turn on the same lighting in such conditions. Darwin will be better read. And yet, the color of the book affects. On the black book, the eye perceives the pole as brighter.

--------------------
kerguelen
Message#11
21.05.15, 11:52
User
[offline]

Messages 50

* xGREGORYx
In the morning without daylight in daylight, that's right: Sony is gray, Darwin is beige, but not to say that the contrast is higher (and Darwin is in my black color). Although I'm not complaining, reading is still comfortable. And perhaps a warm shade for the eyes is more pleasant than gray.
From the map I wanted the background noticeably whiter, and not just a change of colors.
Sometimes people see books with a good, almost white background, I wanted the same :)
xGREGORYx
Message#12
21.05.15, 12:28
Guru
[offline]

Messages 2197
Honor View 10 6/128

* kerguelen,
Lighter substrate is not there. That is why I talked about Newton, there is an infrared screen, that is, there, unlike the capacitive screen, there is no touch film that lowers the contrast. And he is no whiter. Is that a little yellower and now through this seems visually a little lighter, but not white at all. There is a purely screen map, the contrast worsens only the backlight grid, this is also a kind of film, but there is no touch grid on this screen.
You could see the white background only when the backlight is on, at a minimum, the background is bleached. Try it. Even with good lighting, try turning on the backlight and adjusting it, there will be a completely white screen and it will naturally not be lit, it will be the illusion of white paper. It's easy to play with the backlight: there are gestures in the ORider. Open the book and slide your finger from the middle along the right side up or down. Actually, it is very convenient and quick to adjust the brightness of the backlight, without any pop-up menu.
In short, use the backlight in good light and at minimum values, you will have a white backing! :)
And so, all the screens are the same, what to do, e-inc technology has been marking time for years. It does not depend on the manufacturer of the book. The manufacturer can provide uniform illumination, or nakosyachit with it. Maybe the software is good to put, or vice versa, and the yellow screen or gray only depends on e-inc technology. It will not be the same Amazon Kindle without backlighting whiter ...

As for the pictures, you can change them. Only in my opinion, Ruth needs to be done first. So, about this in the subject of Magellan 2 was written in sufficient detail.

--------------------
kerguelen
Message#13
21.05.15, 13:56
User
[offline]

Messages 50

* xGREGORYx
Well, it is possible that the effect of whiteness can be achieved only by backlighting, the screen really becomes noticeably whiter, as it should.
In general, the illumination was planned to be used only as a last resort, mainly for night reading, firstly because of the saving of charge, and secondly it is better to avoid flickering as much as possible, which tires the eyes. Although I do not know how strong it is in this o.O backlight.
xGREGORYx
Message#14
21.05.15, 14:10
Guru
[offline]

Messages 2197
Honor View 10 6/128

* kerguelen,
This is not a tablet. In e-books there is a completely different light, not harmful to the eyes. There is no flicker at all. Well, you can read a book on an e-book with backlighting or a tighter book on an iPad with Retina for example. Big difference. From the iPad, you read, like from a monitor, right there you have a book, by highlighting you increase the contrast, the lower the eye. You can, for convenience, put a white sheet and adjust the backlight under it.
I, too, was initially skeptical, like better without it, otherwise the whole chip of safe reading is lost. In the end, nothing detailed!))) This is not like reading a flashlight!) The book (substrate) is exactly what is selected and not highlighted. Depending on the conditions, you need a different level of illumination. I try to make the screen as white as possible, but at the same time there was no luminescence and it would even be difficult to guess that this was due to the backlight. In the sun, for example, it’s cool at all, you turn on the backlight, the substrate turns white, and you don’t even feel the backlight itself! :)
So, experiment!) Neglect the moon light is not worth it, this is really a Onyx chip, a very good thing :)

Post has been editedxGREGORYx - 21.05.15, 14:14

--------------------
kerguelen
Message#15
21.05.15, 14:19
User
[offline]

Messages 50

* xGREGORYx
About tablets, smartphones everything is clear, this topic has long been closed.
I will be experiencing the backlight by experience :) it’s too early to say, the book is only one day, but I hope it will make me very happy with time.

Post has been editedkerguelen - 21.05.15, 14:21
kerguelen
Message#16
21.05.15, 22:55
User
[offline]

Messages 50

Mike Sinkovsky @ 05/21/2015, 03:56*
In the built-in image viewer there should be an option in the menu, something like "set as a screensaver".
It seems to be. If the firmware is fresh.

no, there is no such thing.

xGREGORYx @ 05/21/2015, 12:28*
As for the pictures, you can change them. Only in my opinion, Ruth needs to be done first.

it seems yes: unsure:
Shadow
Message#17
23.05.15, 10:52
Veteran
[offline]

Messages 1379
Check in: 29.05.05
Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F / DS

* Sergey V.,
And the headphone port is superfluous, I think, only dust will get clogged there. So what to do with it?

I read in a foreign language and from time to time I use a dictionary. At the same time I really lack the opportunity to listen to the voice acting of words, it helps a lot to memorize.
This is an option why you need a headphone output.

--------------------
Samsung Galaxy Tab S3
Garmin Fenix ​​3 HR
xGREGORYx
Message#18
23.05.15, 14:45
Guru
[offline]

Messages 2197
Honor View 10 6/128

* Shadow,
Yes, I did not take that moment into account.
But then the dynamics are also needed for complete happiness.

--------------------
Shadow
Message#19
23.05.15, 15:01
Veteran
[offline]

Messages 1379
Check in: 29.05.05
Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F / DS

xGREGORYx @ 05/23/2015, 2:45 PM*
Yes, I did not take that moment into account.
But then the dynamics are also needed for complete happiness.

For complete happiness - yes, it would be great, but it requires a design change. But to unsolder the connector and the little part (when everything is already provided for this) is elementary, and the greed of the manufacturer selling the device for 10 thousand rubles is a bit annoying. But this is so, by the way. For nothing in the world is perfect :).

--------------------
Samsung Galaxy Tab S3
Garmin Fenix ​​3 HR
Alan
Message#20
23.05.15, 15:39
0x416c616e
[offline]

Group: Honorary Gameday
Messages 13105
Check in: 12.10.05

Shadow @ 05/23/2015, 2:01 PM*
and the greed of the manufacturer selling the device for 10 thousand rubles is somewhat annoying.

As far as I know there is a problem not in the coppé part, but in a different rate of duty for the device with and without audio. And there is not a penny for one device.

--------------------
Long live...
pa19
Message#21
23.05.15, 17:04
Local
[offline]

Messages 396
Check in: 09.03.14

Need to want a wireless headphone. The 21st century has already come.

265 pagesV  1 2 3 4 5 6 > » 

mobile version    Now: 04/30/19, 15:51