ASUS RT-N16 - Discussion | [wifirouter]

Rep: (1)
Asus RT-N16 - Discussion

A photo:
Description:
Specifications:
Useful links:

There is no curator in the subject. For filling the caps, please contact the section moderators via the "Complaint" button under the messages to which you want to add links.

Post has been editedstp101 - 05.04.18, 00:42

Rep: (3)
open-vrt is not friends with the Broadcom, so the waffle on it works extremely tightly and therefore does not fit. Does a tomato know all I want? I just did not see her.

Post has been editedOdinja1 - 10.03.19, 21:56

Rep: (66)
Odinja1 @ 03/10/19, 9:55 p.m.*
open-vrt is not friends with the broadcom

Just as much as a tomato. Openwrt replacing the driver produces the same 300 Mbps as the tomato.

What kind of replacement?
At one time, open generally refused to work on l2tp, then the truth was some other router. Now at least somehow a little bit on ddwrt, I want to try lowering the firmware version, maybe it will.

Rep: (66)
* Odinja1, from the openwrt knowledge base
The wireless should work with both the b43 and brcmsmac kernel modules. By default b43 module is used. If you plan to use 802.11-n capable brcmsmac module instead you should:

remove kmod-b43 package,
install kmod-brcmsmac package,
delete / etc / config / wireless file
reboot
In some circumstances the b43 will not be stable. Symptoms include the router rebooting semi-randomly (from 10 mins to 4 hours between reboots), this may be associated with heavy wifi-traffic. In this case use the brcmsmac drive, the same hardware works fine. (Tested on 05/15/1)

As an alternative the proprietary Broadcom module broadcom-wl can be used instead, it is contained in the package kmod-brcm-wl.

Installing process

# removing previous modules
opkg remove kmod-b43 kmod-b43legacy kmod-mac80211 kmod-cfg80211 kmod-brcmsmac
# installing proprietary module and supported packages
opkg update; opkg install kmod-brcm-wl nas wlc wl
# cleaning up wireless configuration and rebooting device
rm -f / etc / config / wireless; reboot
On Chaos Calmer 05/15/1 with kmod-brcm-wl enabling 802.11n and 40MHz may cause all wireless functionality to be stop. The solution is manually editing config / etc / config / wireless, and setting option hwmode to '11ng' instead '11g'.

Working config

config wifi-device 'wl0'
option type 'broadcom'
option txantenna '3'
option rxantenna '3'
option hwmode '11ng'
option channel '6'
option htmode 'HT40'
option txpower '24'

Rep: (0)
Hello. The problem is known, but (having shoveled this whole forum) did not find its kind. I formulate: I got an idle RT-N16: when turned on, all indicators light up and go out, the power indicator blinks quickly. When connected to any port (LAN / WAN), the corresponding indicator lights up, does not respond, and does not respond to pressing (short, long, 30/30/30) RESET and / or WPS when the power is on. Further for brevity I will call this state (0). I disassembled, replaced the swollen electrolytic capacitor 680mkF with 16v. Turned on - (0). I tried to use another power supply - (0). I read about the recovery, downloaded all the utilities and the recovery utility separately, as well as all the firmware from the ASUS website. The router switched to recovery mode, but still did not ping at the specified address 192.168.1.1, although the recovery program seemed to find it and it seemed to load the specified firmware into it, the recovery procedure reached 37%, then immediately jumped to 100 and ended up with a message that everything is successful and you need to wait for the system to reboot. Obviously waiting for more than 10 minutes. Nothing has happened. Turned off / on the power - (0). I read that it was possible to download via tftp, it didn’t work: no ping - no download! Just from the bulldozer changed the address to 192.168.0.1 - MIRACLE !!! - got a response! (I think the previous owner changed the address to this one). I did everything as it was said in the found instruction, the result is (0). I tried again to use the recovery program - (0). The recovery program from the utilities kit - (0), from another computer - (0), replaced ALL electrolytic capacitors - (0), tried another power supply - (0). Successively, one after another, I downloaded through the recovery program all the firmware downloaded from the official ASUS website, starting with the earliest - (0). Of the remaining ideas, trying to download these firmware using tftp, but I think so, will not help.
I don’t remember where it was said that this model uses 3 power supplies: 1.3, 3 and 5 V, I checked it with a tester - all three are present. I tried to reset NVRAM - I did as indicated, but did not notice any reaction from the router. How to check whether it is reset or not?
Bottom line: the router enters the recovery procedure, downloads the file (the power indicator sometimes lights up, sometimes not, the LAN indicator blinks during boot), after the recovery starts, it reaches 100% and ends either with a message about the impossibility to establish a connection with the device, or everything is successful and you need to wait for the reboot. But in fact, as a result, I have a router all in the same state (0). What to do? Tell me please.

Rep: (9)
* Greyeagle , In my opinion, when using the recovery utility, the address should be 192.168.1.2, and do not forget to set it in the network properties. Here is the instruction for the 66th, but it should come up to ours. Only the address there ... 1.10, and I prescribed .... 1.2
https://www.asus.com/en/support/FAQ/1000814/

Post has been editedshil212 - 14.03.19, 19:42

GrayEagle @ 03/14/19, 19:21*
But in fact, as a result, I have a router all in the same state (0). What to do?

Try to see what happens inside using the Serial interface - there are pins on the board. I don’t urge you to flash through it (it’s not so simple), but at least you will see what is done there during the download process - there may be some error messages ...

Rep: (465)
In my opinion, when using the recovery utility, the address 192.168.1.2 should be
you can any (of course except 192.168.1.1), the main thing is from one subnet.

In my opinion, when using the recovery utility, the address should be 192.168.1.2, and do not forget to set it in the network properties.

I meant the address of the router, the computer had 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.0.2, respectively
Dip_Spb @ 03/14/19, 19:38*
Try to see what happens inside using the Serial interface - there are pins on the board. I don’t urge you to flash through it (it’s not so simple), but at least you will see what is done there during the download process - there may be some error messages ...

I see the pins, but I don’t know how to look, I never did this. I work in a school for the maintenance of all equipment (computers, printers, projectors, monitors, laptops, etc.), if something simple is trying to do something myself, but what you offer exceeds the level of my knowledge :-(

Dip_Spb @ 03/14/19, 19:38*
Try to see what happens inside using the Serial interface - there are pins on the board

Judging by the nickname, you're from St. Petersburg, right? I, too. So maybe I will drive up and you will help to do something with this? Naturally free;)

Rep: (9)
Has anyone tried to watch 4k movies through the built-in DLNA from an Hdd connected to the router (in my case 2tb 3,5inch with external power)? Connected to a TV by wire.
Watch is not possible. Constant buffering. The same movies from the cloud in the same quality go without hesitation. Well, directly from the HDD via usb to the TV set, of course, also without problems.
ASUSWRT firmware from Marilyn.

Post has been editedshil212 - 14.03.19, 19:59

GrayEagle @ 03/14/19, 19:56*
So maybe I will drive up and you will help

I wrote to you in a personal, look.

and so dd-wrt on rt-n16 and L2TP beeline (at the moment the Moscow region is odintsovo) continuation of the story

there was the last dd-wrt.v24-37305_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N16 but the Internet only worked on it at the beginning and then fell off with ends saving the current re-flashing again the setting worked again and the dump. Speed ​​test showed close to the claimed 50 mb across several servers.

set dd-wrt.v24-36410_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N16 default settings set only MTU 1460 and removed Security - Firewall Protection - SPI Firewall - Disable

while plowing.

every 5 minutes the connection drops :(

well painted dd-wrt for beeline
http://volgograd.fatal.ru/dd-wrt.htm
tweaked the settings I will wait for the result

I do not understand why the duration of the connection does not last more than 5-6 minutes, maybe this is normal? but the connection falls, for the same vatsap you can’t talk without interruptions; (

put DD-WRT v3.0-r36527 big (08/09/18) uptime there is Internet when a working connection after 5 minutes disappears meet (forgot to set mtu was auto)

More ...
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r36247 big (06/29/18)
Connection Uptime under 10 minutes but all the same breakage, damn it ...

yeah
I’m watching WAN STATUS and I see that at 9 minutes the IP is forcibly updated or something happens that leads to this

I'm going to read what Beeline writes about dd-wrt
https: //homenet.beelin...%BB%D0%B0%D0%B9%D0%BD/

Post has been editedOdinja1 - 16.03.19, 16:14

To write a story following in my footsteps.
L2TP connection to Beeline ASUS RT-N16 router

Shoveled the Internet read a lot
set still
dd-wrt.v24-39230_NEWD-2_K3.x_big

read a little here
https: //forum.dd-wrt.c...viewtopic.php? p = 655454
did not help
connection falls on absolutely all versions
at different settings

of the latest ideas, flattery in the metric settings, but honestly, I’ve been unable to find where it is in dd-wrt, and so far have scored

puthttps://advancedtomato.com/
and everything went perfectly
though for some reason the WAN status tab hangs in DISCONECTED
But the Internet works, the speed test seems to be the speed declared by the operator and even higher, this did not even give a drain.
There are no cliffs either, I don’t know how to check.

It's a shame for dd-wrt and for the fact that for many years it did not solve the problems with L2TP. Tomato has long been abandoned but it works perfectly. Why is that? The riddle.

Yes, Advanced Tomato is a very good and convenient firmware. I recommend it to everyone (along with Open-WRT in some cases).
I use Tomato myself and advise others.

on Open-WRT I even misunderstood how to start l2tp, I suffered a couple of years ago, it was tin, you’ll break your leg there

Hello!
There is this device with the current firmware from asus 3.0.0.4.380_7378

The background is such that I have already changed the firmware on this router several times through the Firmware restoration utility, it was tomatoDualWan, then DD-WRT, then again Tomato. In general, I tried different firmware, as a result I left tomatoDualWan.

The other day I wanted to switch from tomato to DD-WRT again. Through the utility from the asus, it did not work. I took the old firmware from the asus site and restored the router via Firmware Restoration. The devil pulled me to upgrade to the latest version, now I have 3.0.0.4.380_7378.
The trick is that I can not update to DD-WRT through Firmware restoration, the program writes "Establishing a connection with a wireless device"
but the firmware does not pick up and at the moment when I click the "Download" button, the pings disappear and before the pings are pressed they go as expected TTL = 100, while the lamp stops blinking and lights up constantly.
I tried the reset 30/30/30, changed the power supply, although the conders did not solder visually they are not swollen.
I assume that the problem is that I updated the asus firmware to the latest version.
At the same time, the router is currently fully operational with native firmware from asus.

There are connectors for firmware on the board, I also have a USB-TTL converter, but so far I have not reached it, I think maybe the problem is something else.

What options are there?

Post has been editedaleks_ars - 28.03.19, 00:19

Aleks_ars @ 03/28/19, 00:15*
There are connectors for firmware on the board, I also have a USB-TTL converter, but so far I have not reached it, I think maybe the problem is something else.

Just connect to this connector and see what happens when you boot - maybe this will clarify the situation. Maybe the bootloader has really been updated, and in the new version they have managed to make something tricky, which disrupts the usual process of uploading firmware.

Connected via Putty via USB-TTL
and I get these messages:
Attached Image

Attached Image

What is this do you think?

Post has been editedaleks_ars - 28.03.19, 20:33

Rep: (7)
* aleks_ars ,
Aleks_ars @ 03/28/19, 20:31 *
What is this do you think?
The com port speed in Windows and in the program put 57600, if again the same thing, then 115200.

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 09/11/19, 10:32 PM