Selection and discussion of NAS | configuration options, self-assembly, help with settings

Rep: (1805)
NAS selection and discussion

WD My Live \ Book \ Cloud \ Cloud Mirror

Attached Image

What it is?
NAS (Network Attached Storage) - is a server for storing data.

In essence, it is a computer with a certain disk array connected to a network (usually local) and supporting work according to the protocols adopted in it. Several such computers can be combined into one system.
Useful tips

Post has been editedstp101 - 21.04.18, 15:36
Reason for editing: New header. Hat reworked Nik2001Nik3006

Rep: (0)
Good day.
I thought about installing a NAS server at home.
For what:
1. Storage of home photo / video archive
2. backup storage of working files
3. convenient access (read / download) to the photo archive from laptops and gadgets, preferably with the ability to access from outside. At the same time 2 laptops and 4-5 gadgets. Maybe I can connect the telly
These are the basic requirements.
Torrento download - I use it very rarely, but if there is such an opportunity I will try.
Video surveillance - if there is such an opportunity, then maybe I will install a camera somewhere, but I will not pay extra for this.
Actually, the main purpose is reliable file storage and convenient access to them.

In one of the retail chains we sell:
Zyxel NAS326 - 9900 RUR
Asustor AS-1002T - 11000 rub.
Western Digital My Cloud EX2 Ultra -12000r.
QNAP D2 - 12800 rub.
Synology Disk Station DS218j - 12800 rub.
Further, a significant jump in price.
+ 2 disks of 2 or 3TB each.

The budget is limited, so the less the better.
For what it is worth paying, and for what not.
I will listen to any of your arguments.

Rep: (3)
YozhkinKot @ 03/18/19, 11:15*
In one of the retail chains we sell:
Zyxel NAS326 - 9900 RUR
Asustor AS-1002T - 11000 rub.

I also can not choose between these two. The difference in 2 TR significant for this price.
With discs like decided - 2 pcs. WD Red 2TB each

Rep: (32)
Has anyone used a PCI-e adapter in AC 5G mode in the self-assembly of WiFi WiFi storage?
There is no way to pull the cable.

Rep: (98)
* YozhkinKot Zuksel 326 will satisfy your requirements .. I have been using it for a year ... Everything is fine .. 2 discs of 4 TB each ..

Rep: (5)
YozhkinKot @ 03/18/19, 14:15*
Good day.
I thought about installing a NAS server at home.

Frankly, "here and there" are some people)))

YozhkinKot @ 03/18/19, 14:15*
3. convenient access (read / download) to the photo archive from laptops and gadgets, preferably with the ability to access from outside. At the same time 2 laptops and 4-5 gadgets. Maybe I can connect the telly

NAS indicated by you based on AWP.
Whether their work will suit you while handling from different devices is unknown. See processor speed and memory.

In my experience, I recommend taking a 4-disk device, despite the "limited budget", since the device is not purchased for six months or a year. As an example, QNAP D4.
Then you can simply add disks without bothering with data transfer.
By manufacturer: QNAP and Synology trendsetters.

Post has been editedhorgy_a - 18.03.19, 14:05

Suksel 326 will satisfy your requirements .. I have been using it for a year ... Everything is fine ..

))) I will not quote a recent post?)))

Rep: (14)
* rio243 ,
On baremetal it is impossible. Xpenolgy is required by Intel only.
If you really need Xpenolgy over WiFi, then study proxmox VE or another OS for managing virtual machines.
And better study their forum. A plug with a network card is not the only problem.
AMD processors are extremely poorly supported, and that, through the addition of a driver to the kernel, if that.

Post has been editedshperrung - 18.03.19, 16:36

Rep: (97)
* YozhkinKot , took D2, as a budget option. Add two 1TB drives.

What do I understand for myself? The taste comes with food. I am slowly writing a project for self-assembly, I select components, software solutions, manuals, configs for gnu linux.
Of course, I want to have a normal virtual machine in the future and at least 2 ssd of 2 TB each.

I went to try and join the community d2!

Rep: (1)
Good day. Please help in choosing:
The main purpose is a film library, a torrent download with viewing downloaded on TV via HDMI with the ability to include subtitles in MKV (TV on DLNA can not show subs).
Connecting 1-2 ip-cameras.
Number of discs from 2 to 5.
Budget up to 60 tr for an apparatus without disks.

Post has been editedNamoGR - 19.03.19, 14:27

NamoGR @ 03/19/19, 17:24*
The main purpose is a film library, a torrent download with viewing downloaded on TV via HDMI with the ability to include subtitles in MKV (TV on DLNA can not show subs).

Anything you like from manufacturers of Asustor, Synology Disk Station or QNAP with mandatory HDMI.
Alternatively: QNAP D4 Pro and Synology DiskStation DS418j or Synology Disk Station DS418play
Then it will still remain on disks with a good volume.

And by the way, why doesn’t it show subtitles?
I would recommend streaming video from a NAS via DLNA PLEX or KODI to a TV.

Post has been editedhorgy_a - 19.03.19, 14:47

Rep: (37)
* NamoGR,
if HDMI is supposed to be directly on NASe, then asustor or qnap on intel
e.g. 4-disk qnap 53B series - ts-453be or ts-453Bmini

if you add / use a separate player, then you can take the budget nas to 4 discs
let's say qnap d4 or syno ds418

Posted on 03/19/2019, 14:38:

* veisong
even if you assemble your own with 3-4-5 screws, then the two-slot qnap will still come in handy for backups and all sorts of jokes, if the appetite is played out and does not disappear))

Rep: (122)
NamoGR @ 03/19/19, 14:24*

If we are talking about one TV, then for me personally, it’s much easier to buy an adequate media set-top box, there will be much more profit, and with it, in fact, it doesn’t matter which NAS to take. And muddying the server on the NAS is already an extra crap, especially for one device.

Post has been editednoname2111 - 19.03.19, 14:53

* horgy_a,
Synology without HDMI.
I don’t know what link the problem is: either DLNA on the Keenetic Giga III is not able to transfer subwoofers in the MKV container (it transfers separately), or the relatively old Samsung (5 years) can not accept them. Anyway, the TV set is very picky about DLNA formats and codecs, USB is less picky, but it happens. Therefore, I want to play with a third-party omnivorous player so that my head does not hurt, whether the next film will start or not.

* _mad_,
I want to reduce the number of devices, i.e. ideally a NASa combine and player. But, comparing the prices of the models you brought, it is much more profitable to get NAS + prefix, the difference is 10-20 thousand.

Post has been editedNamoGR - 19.03.19, 15:01

* NamoGR,
still a normal player console is more likely to be omnivorous)
Well, nas will do its direct business without unnecessary load on the processor and still then hide it somewhere away from the ears
closer to the router or where there is a suitable place to lay, throw wires

Rep: (104)
* rio243 ,
I used only the usual wifi. At the AU As it did not happen.

Rep: (72)
Good day. There is self-assembly on the ASRock J3455-ITX board, 4GB of RAM, omv OS.
Actually the question is, how do I use hardware transcoding? As far as I read it, j3455 can do it well, now plex is used as a media server, as I understand it, hardware transcoding is only by subscription. Are there any free solutions?

Rep: (14)
* 8leon8 ,
Moreover, Emby also now wants the dough for supporting hardware transcoding.
On Xpenolgy they wrote that there is a new bootloader for DS 918+. It seems to support hardware transcoding without valid MAC and Product ID. Check, as I understand it, can only be installed on the "iron".

https: //www.serviio.or...gorised/60-free-vs-proin the free version, like there is transcoding.

Post has been editedshperrung - 20.03.19, 10:37

Hi All,

I pick up Qnap for 4 disks. I plan to use without raid with separate disks for slightly critical data. The next question is - does your system and applications for all models be installed on hdd from the set of installed ones?

WBR,

* skomoroh,
system on all drives, and applications of your choice - you can specify the drive on which they will be installed

system on all drives, and applications of your choice - you can specify the drive on which they will be installed

So is this a standard solution for all models? I just assumed that they come with a separate ssd or flash drive for the system.

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 08/24/19, 02:52