Huawei WS880 v1 - Discussion | [wifirouter] A smart router. Analogue of famous models.
What to choose...
Which firmware is the most stable and convenient to use?
Official by Huawei [ 137 ] ** [25,46%]
Tomato by Shibby [ 90 ] ** [16,73%]
Asuswrt by merlin [ 272 ] ** [50,56%]
DD-WRT [ 39 ] ** [7,25%]
Total votes: 538

Rep: (105)
HUAWEI MediaLife WS880

Attached Image

One more photo
Photos are clickable:
Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image
Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image

Specifications
CPU: Broadcom BCM4708 @ 800MHz x2core ARM (processor)
WI1 chip1: Broadcom BCM4360 (radio module 1)
WI1 802dot11 protocols: an + ac
WI1 MIMO config: 3x3: 3
WI1 antenna: internal x 3
WI2 chip1: Broadcom BCM4331 (radio module 2)
WI2 802dot11 protocols: bgn
WI2 MIMO config: 3x3: 3
WI2 antenna: internal x 3
FLA1: 128 MiB (NAND FLASH ROM)
RAM1: 128 MiB (RAM)
Expansion IFs: USB 3.0 port x1

Technical characteristics of the router on the site Huawei (RUS)
A close relative of Netgear R6300 v2

Reviews
Official firmware
Custom firmware
Due to the fact that the bootloader of this router is blocked, the installation of third-party firmware is impossible without a special procedure for changing the bootloader. As a result of this operation, you lose the warranty on the device, and the return to the factory firmware is currently not possible. Please note that all actions with the router you do at your own peril and risk. Neither I nor the administration of this forum is responsible for any malfunctions resulting from the firmware.

Firmware Tomato by Vortex version 130_2
Firmware XWRT by Vortex version 380.70_0
DD WRT
useful links
FAQ

1. General issues
# 1.1
Q:How to unlock the bootloader and flash the custom firmware?
A:
Instructions for installing alternative firmware in the router Huawei WS880
To install an alternative firmware in the router Huawei WS880 carefully follow these steps:
  1. Take the tag from your router and write down the MAC address (at the very bottom) and the WLAN Key;
  2. Download, unpack and run the program.CFEEdit;
  3. Download, unzip and open the file.WS880_trans.binin CFEEdit;
  4. On the Dumb Mode tab, enter your MAC address obtained in claim 1;
  5. There, in the WPS Password field, enter the WLAN Key;
  6. save CFE as WS880_trans_my.bin
  7. Connect the LAN1 (yellow) connector of the router directly to the PC with an Ethernet cable;
  8. In the TCP-IP v4 properties, manually set the following parameters:
    • IP: 192.168.1.2
    • NETMASK: 255.255.255.0
    • GATEWAY: 192.168.1.1
    • DNS: empty

9. Turn off the router (with the button or from the network);
  10. With something sharp, press and hold the Reset button located behind the router, next to the power connector;
  11. Without releasing the Reset, turn on the router, wait 15-20 seconds, release the Reset;
  12. In the browser (Internet Explorer is better not to use) go tohttp://192.168.1.1/
    You will see the invitation "Huawei - Emergent Upgrade Page"
    If this does not happen, repeat p.p. 9-12 again.
  13. Click Browse, select the WS880_trans_my.bin file saved in step 6;
  14. Click Upload to start the firmware;
    Firmware lasts 10-20 seconds at this timeDo not turn off the power of the router !!!
    After the end, a message will be displayed to your browser and the router will reboot;
  15. Turn off the power, hold down the Reset, turn on the power, wait 15-20 seconds, release the Reset;
  16. Go back tohttp://192.168.1.1/
    You will see the prompt "CFE miniWeb Server"
  17. Click Browse, select the alternate firmware .trx file;
    (For initial firmware, it is recommended to useTomato by Vortex version 128_2)
  18. Click Upload to start the firmware;
    Firmware lasts 1-2 minutes at this timeDo not turn off the power of the router !!!
    After the end, a message will be displayed to your browser and the router will reboot.
  19. In TCP-IP v4 properties, set all values ​​to Auto / DHCP;
  20. Go tohttp://192.168.1.1/enter login / password: admin / admin and proceed to setup;
  21. Profit!
If you like my work and you would like to thank me, here are the details:
PayPal: [email protected]

# 1.2
Q:How to disassemble the router?
A: In order to disassemble the router, it is necessary to tear off the long gum in the stand (it rests on double-sided tape), then unscrew the four screws (the seal in one of them). After that, gently pry and remove the front panel (it rests on zeschelkah around the perimeter). Under the front panel will open access to the console port. Further disassembly is already done according to circumstances. But remember that part of the antenna is soldered tightly.
Photos of the entrails
2. Official firmware
# 2.1
Q:What official firmware should I use? How is the stability of the official firmware?
A: Currently, firmware 35 is the newest one. Due to the fact that the official firmware contains a very large number of bugs, its use is questionable.
3. Tomato firmware
# 3.1
Q:What is Tomato? Where to get information?
A: Link to wikihere. Author's website (Shibby):here. Git source repositoryhere. Demo web interfacehere.

# 3.2
Q:How to make a full reset?
A: To reset the settings, turn off the router, press and hold the WPS button located on the top edge of the device, without releasing the buttons, turn on the router and wait for the “INTERNET” message to flash frequently, then release WPS. The router will reset the settings and reboot automatically;

# 3.3
Q:How to perform disaster recovery firmware?
A: To activate the function of emergency recovery of the firmware, turn off the router, press and hold the RESET button located on the back of the device, without releasing the buttons, turn on the router and wait for a rare blinking "INTERNET", then release the RESET. The router will go into emergency boot mode using the Web server or using normal TFTP (ip: 192.168.1.1);

# 3.4
Q:How to install a set of additional packages (Entware) on the router?
A:Installing Entware.arm on a router with tomato firmware from Vortex / Shibby

# 3.5
Q:What is Advanced Tomato, how is it different from ordinary Tomato?
A: Advanced Tomato is a new GUI, honed under 16: 9 monitors and based on jQuery and several other modern technologies. Examples, screenshotshere.

# 3.6
Q:How to change the skin? How to enable Advanced Tomato GUI?
A: Skin changes here: Administration ->Admin Access ->Color Scheme ->Huawei
AT is enabled here: Administration ->Admin Access ->Directory with GUI files ->Advanced tomato
After changing the GUI, go to the root address of the router.

# 3.7
Q:If you are stuck on Tomato 1.38 - instructions for firmware via the console
A:Huawei WS880 v1 - Discussion (Post megamuzzy # 66378363)
4. DD-WRT firmware
# 4.1
Q:What is DD-WRT? Where to get information?
A: Link to wikihere. Demo web interfacehere.

# 4.2
Q:What is different from Tomato? What are the cons / pros?
A: Of the minuses - the lack of productive drivers for HFS + and NTFS, but is solved by formatting the drive in EXT4 for example. Of the benefits - a very rich functionality of embedded services and settings. It works correctly in the case of L2TP / PPTP / PPoE + LAN (gets the provider's routes via DHCP). For the Internet, you can use in addition to modems even an iPhone in the USB port. Embedded DLNA / Transmission / WEB server with PHP / PPPoE / PPtP / OpenVPN / FreeRadius server and the ability to max-authorize on Wi-Fi, hotspots, SIP and even unnecessary cloud :) Port and VLAN settings, the ability to create additional bridges and independent networks and etc. In general, this is firmware for geeks :)

Suggestions are welcome inQMSon filling caps. Topics CuratorXvortex.

Post has been editedKOT-BE3DEXOD - 23.05.18, 18:30
Reason for editing: Tomato 1.38 - console firmware manual

Rep: (28)
I am writing a small chavoshka, while I understand with the router)))

1. So that there is no limit at 65mbit on 11n - Set in the settings in the menu (Home network - Wi Fi settings - Advanced settings) the item "Bandwidth 11n" at 40 MHz. It is desirable to choose the least clogged channel, just when planning your network, you should not forget that on the 802.11n standard there are only 3 non-overlapping channels 1,6,11 (2,7,12, etc.) .. All this for 2, 4GHz. At 5, like the void in the main)))
2. After the initial setup of the router, do not forget to turn it on / off, because provider can be stupid - Dom.Ru is just that)))

Rep: (66)
Here I choose between the Huawei WS880 and D-link DIR-850L. They are approximately in the same price category, up to 4 tr.
What do you think, what to take? Long seems to have better support and the firmware is more varied, but Huawei has better hardware (Broadcom BCM4708 (800 MHz) + BCM4360 + BCM4331 against Dlinkovsky: AC1200 Realtek RTL8197D + RTL8192CE / RTL8812AR + RTL8367RB) 6 antennas against 4x.

SVG77 10.10.2014, 17:31*
between Huawei WS880 and D-link DIR-850L

Hm Looked DLink - loses on the characteristics of all items. Not much, but loses. For me, among other things, and usb 3 is not the last ...
What about support and firmware? Are they already?
Yes, enthusiasts will do it on a long way faster - but I bought Huvey here and I don’t worry at all - everything flies! )))

A couple of days ago was acquireddevice Huwei 151... Perfectly agreed with the subject)))
True, the connection speed is dancing from 580-800 Mbit ... But the provider does not have more than 120 to squeeze, so nomano.
The main thing is that our body - absolutely exactly distributes the Internet to all consumers and the torrents do not foul.

Rep: (124)
SVG77 10.10.2014, 17:31*
Here I choose between the Huawei WS880 and D-link DIR-850L.

If you do not need to forward ports, then it is better to take Huawei WS880.
I have been living for almost a week (firmware 35), so far only positive impressions.
Works steadily and steadily. Two WiFi bands at the same time, especially 5 GHz interference from neighbors so far NO!

Post has been editedamse - 10.10.14, 23:01

Rep: (0)
can it be configured via console? the settings are awful. I tried firmware 35, it has problems with dns, if it is wan dhcp. I went back to the less buggy 22 firmware, which is on the Russian site of the huavey. I think the problem is that when an IPTV port is created, it automatically creates a new Internet connection that interferes with the connection. If anyone comes across, write a solution? It’s better to prescribe everything from the console (if possible)

If you do not need to forward ports, then it is better to take Huawei WS880.

Here it is alerted. I have an IPTV from Rostelecom? Any problems?

Rep: (2)
I also have Rostelecom and iptv (three consoles) problems, everything works fine.

Rep: (6)
Has anyone connected a printer via usb? My printer sees a router, but it doesn’t do anything with it, it doesn’t find anything in Windows when searching for network printers (firmware 35

Rep: (10)
The printer did not try, but on the 35th firmware the ports are perfectly prokinul - everything works. Only the interface of the firmware at the router itself is unaccustomed, I had to spend a lot of time having fun using the "spear" method

Post has been editedkozlinka - 03.11.14, 21:13

* kozlinka,
At the expense of the firmware I agree, almost all at random!
If there is a desire and opportunity pliz look like you make friends with the printer

Bought all the same. Only yesterday delivered.
Tell me how to set up access to the HDD? By FTP or SAMBA?
I connected my HDD, the format in exFAT, created a password for access, all the computers see it - only there for some reason there are some files in the App folder, and my files / folders are not visible - not from a single computer. Even choosing access to certain folders through the menu of the router does not come out — it just doesn’t see them. What could be the reason - to format the screw?
For some reason, it shows a 100 Mbit grid on all devices, and my PC has exactly 1000 Mbit ezernet. Is it a cord or something?

Post has been editedSvg77 - 05.11.14, 10:51

Rep: (-1)
Could you tell if someone could install an alternative firmware on this router (for example, openwrt)?
Standard unfortunately holey through, and of. Huawai's support refuses to fix the holes (he corresponded with her for a long time, talked on the phone even longer).

Could you tell if someone could install an alternative firmware on this router (for example, openwrt)?

And what is the leakiness? Everything turns on, everything turns off, everything works, or am I wrong?
There are firmwares for this iron, but there is no method for pouring yet.
And I'm not sure that openwrt or any other open source software is more reliable than the official one, and less leaky.
Yes, in free firmware, hands are untied, and a dubious functional has been added, but why to torment a piece of iron with an unintended functional?
SVG77 @ 11/05/2014, 10:31*
Is it a cord or something?

The standard blue cord from the kit showed me 1000, maybe the problem is in the settings of the network adapter on the computer / router.
I can’t help with the hard disk, I tried to connect a usb 3 flash drive, I saw it normally, everything was recorded, quickly, someone had problems with displaying Russian characters, if I'm not mistaken, I couldn’t notice, because of my old habit all files with latin layout.

Post has been editedcoqs - 06.11.14, 17:35

There is no alternative for today.
The standard blue cord from the kit showed me 1000, maybe the problem is in the settings of the network adapter on the computer / router.
I can’t help with the hard disk, I tried to connect a usb 3 flash drive, I saw it normally, everything was recorded, quickly, someone had problems with displaying Russian characters, if I'm not mistaken, I couldn’t notice, because of my old habit all files with latin layout.

Oh, and I suffered with him (
1) About 100 Mbit / s - yes, it was in the cord, it turns out that UTP Cat5 is stuck just where I have 1 Gbit device.
2) About the hard disk - keep in mind that the router supports ONLY FAT32, NTFS, EXT2 / 3 and HFS + file systems. Therefore, someone who has a bunch of Mac OS + Windows at home will have to be bad, because Mac does not support NTFS, and Wind does not hold EXT2 / 3 and HFS +. In my case, only the good old FAT32 with its limitations remains. He was counting on a universal exFAT, but, alas, the router does not support it.
3) Access to the CDM was successfully configured through Sambu, but due to limitations it is not possible to use it to its fullest + the speed is cut to 5 Mbit / s.
And now the most important thing:
Today I'm going to take it back. 3 days of torment with settings like that podzadolbali (I changed the firmware, rebooted, set up from scratch, registered static / dynamic. IPs, called the provider - the problem is the same: IPTV does not work at all. After you register Static DNS inet on the router it lights up, but in fact it does not exist. After switching back, everything does not appear for long, then the same story. At the same time, 90% of channels fell off on Samsung Smart TV 2014 year A connected via Ethernet. In short, you need to periodically reset the router by writing in the settings of static DNS servers.
The WiFi speed on the AC / N at 2.4 and 5 GHz above 15 Mbit / s did not rise for some reason, although I have an external Internet of 100 Mbit.
Periodically I stuck my old Zixel Kinetics Light - everything fell into place, naturally with dynamic DNS: iptv worked, Smart TV showed all the channels, routing and Wi-Fi 45 Mbit / s showed stable.

Post has been editedSvg77 - 07.11.14, 10:01

From another forum about setting up the printer, you should put it in the top:

"Now about the printer 2 days fought with the installation without results. Until I paid attention to the shared resource" atp "(I thought it was a wicked thing that a worm was on the hospital), when choosing a Windows printer on a poppy, it was called a print server, but it did not connect did not enter username and password from WEB MORDES - total xerox phaser 3117 type "
"Only personally, my Samsung earned after I installed the firewood on it with a company program by registering the address of this ATP and in the settings of the print in the tab additionally set up a direct print without a print queue."

What a horror ... but everything works for me with our device and nothing falls off ... Can it really matter in the provider?
I read in the internet that providers depending on the equipment dynamically change settings ...

SVG77 @ 11.11.2014, 09:55*
He was counting on a universal exFAT, but, alas, the router does not support it.

I think in the next firmware exFat will add. Regarding the speed of samba, Wi fi, 2.4 5 Hz, it is most likely that you have such equipment settings. The AC speed I reached was declared by the provider speed. In LAN on AC, the speed rose to about 100 megabytes !!! in seconds

Post has been editedcoqs - 09.11.14, 20:46

Rep: (11)
And how to put time on it? All logs go from Christmasof Christunix since 1970.
Climbed all the menus - I did not find any changes.

NisSAM @ 11/09/2014, 10:40*
And how to put time on it? All logs come from the birth of Christ unix, i.e. since 1970.
Climbed all the menus - I did not find any changes.

In the menu of the router, Internet, Internet services, SNTP protocol, there you can enable the SNTP server and set the synchronization server, my time is 5-7 times.

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 07/17/19 16:21