Android to a virtual machine | Install Android on your computer / laptop through virtual machines

Rep: (65)
Install Android on your computer / laptop through an Oracle VM VirtualBox virtual machine or VMWare Workstation.
The latest and most stable version at the moment: Android 8.1 Oreo with security patch January 5, 2019 (build image: January 17, 2019)

Hardware Requirements:
1. Intel / AMD x86_64 processor with virtualization support: 2 threads (minimum) // 4 threads and more (recommended)
2. 2 GB of RAM (minimum) // 4 GB of RAM (recommended)
3. Hard disk space 8 GB (minimum) // 10 GB or more (according to your needs)

Before starting work:
1. The virtual machine itselfOracle VM VirtualBox 5.22(Version 6.0 is currently not on friendly terms with Android-x86, while we are using stable 5.2)
2. The image of Android. Download it from the siteAndroid-x86.org
3. Enable the virtualization function of your processor in your host BIOS (for different motherboards and processors this parameter is called differently in the menu, you need to look for an example on my motherboard in the picture)
Attached Image

Installation examples (video):

Full text installation instructions in Oracle VM VirtualBox. Image: android-x86-8.1-rc2.iso.
0.1. Download and install the program.
0.2. Download the Android image.

1.1. Create a virtual machine with any name, system type: Linux, version: Ubuntu (the bit is not important).
1.2. The amount of RAM depends on your computer / laptop, it is better to put half of the available (i.e. if you have 8 GB on your host, then you can safely put 4 GB).
1.3. Create a new virtual disk, VDI, Dynamic, the volume is better from 8 GB (depending on the number of applications you need).
1.4. We go in the Holy Island of the created machine through the button Configure.
General - Advanced - Turn on the bidirectional buffer.
System - Motherboard - Remove the check mark in the boot order from the diskette
System - Motherboard - Tick Enable I / O APIC
System - Motherboard - Cursor Manipulator - set the PS / 2 mouse
System - Processor - 2 CPU cores (or more, if possible)
System - Processor - Enable PAE / NX
Display - Video - Video Memory 128 MB
Display - Video - Tick Enable 3D acceleration
Media - Controller: IDE - Click on Empty and to the right where the drive window is click on the disk and select the downloaded Android image.
1.5. Click OK.

2.1. We start the car.
2.2. In the first window, use the arrows on the keyboard to select the lowest Installation - Install Android-x86 to harddisk, confirm the choice by pressing Enter.If you propose to install GPT, refuse!
2.3. After running through all the lines, a window appears, select the first item Create / Modify partitions in it.
2.4. In the appeared window with the arrow to the right, select Write and write yes, confirming by pressing Enter.
2.5. Use the right arrow to select New, then Primary, confirm the volume that appears.
2.6. Use the right arrow to select Write and write yes, confirming by pressing Enter.
2.7. Use the right arrow to select Bootable, press Enter and exit via Quit.
2.8. If everything is done correctly, then the first to write sda1 Linux will appear, confirm Enter.
2.9. In the next window, select ext4. Then we confirm that we want to format the disk.
2.10. We are waiting for it to format.
2.11. In all the following windows, click Yes.
2.12. After the Android-x86 window is installed successfully; At the top, press the Devices button - Optical disk drives - Eject the disk from the drive. After that, select Reboot and press Enter.
2.13. The machine restarts and select the very first item.
2.14. After that we wait, the Android logo appears, and then the system setup, as if you have a simple Android tablet.

Now you have an already rooted Android with firmware for developers.

Screenshots
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

FAQ
How to change the screen resolution?
Android 4.4 and below:
In the folder with the virtual machine, find the file called machine_name.vbox, add the line to it:
<ExtraDataItem name = "CustomVideoMode1" value = "320x480x16" />
It determines the resolution and amount of memory for color.
Android 5.0 and higher:
Natively changing the resolution is still quite difficult, but there arecrutch. It works quite well.

VirtualBox 6.0 does not want to run Android
The problem is known, the solution is simple - install VirtualBox 5.22

How to enable full support for programs written for ARM in Android x86?
Settings - Android x86 options - Enable Native Bridge

What works and what does not work in the latest version (Android 8.1)?
Doesn't work: touch screen, google play and everything that comes out of it
Works: camera, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, mouse, keyboard, installation of .apk from any sources, simple games are started (maybe complex, but this is not yet accurate)

Is there a root?
There is.

Post has been editedSmit7564 - 28.02.19, 23:27

* dkmn75,
DKmn75 @ 11.27.2014, 18:33*
I have another question: igruha turned the screen 90 degrees. How can I turn back?

Device - Screen - Auto-rotate screen.

DKmn75 @ 11.27.2014, 18:33*
Is there anyone alive here?

I try to follow the topic. Today I updated the header and added a new video.

Rep: (37)
I try to run in the virtualbox manual android-x86-4.4-r1.iso
does not start. it starts more precisely, but after a quick scroll of the kernel message lines, I again get to the boot menu of the disk.
Ubuntu Linux 14.04
Kernel and CPU Linux 3.13.0-40-generic on x86_64
Processor information AMD A6-5400K APU with Radeon (tm) HD Graphics, 2 cores

Post has been editedLAD75 - 02.12.14, 13:43

Rep: (1)
Put at work on virtualbox version 4.0.3 from eeepc.
There is no wifi on the desktop, the current is lan.
On the android, the local network is visible, but we only work through the proxy with the Internet.
I just can’t configure the android to work through a proxy.
I tried to register Linux settings, and I registered the settings for the browser in the sqlite database. Does not work through a proxy :(

LAD75 @ 12/02/2014, 13:41*
does not start. it starts more precisely, but after a quick scroll of the kernel message lines, I again get to the boot menu of the disk.

Grub loading?

On the android, the local network is visible, but we only work through the proxy with the Internet.
I just can’t configure the android to work through a proxy.

This is a VirtualBox problem, it seems to me. Try to burn the image to a USB flash drive and boot from it in LiveCD mode. When working with iron directly, the problem should go away.

Rep: (37)
The black screen flickers after the menu on the background and that’s it, I'm back in the menu. What is happening at this time is not visible. Debug or output to the screen or stop with an error how to put I don’t know

* LAD75,
Me on a blue background, this is the Grub bootloader. Try to see if virtualization is enabled in the BIOS of the machine that is used as the host. Alternatively, the problem is in the image, try to take a different version. In my case, the system installs without problems (I also use Ubuntu). You can try to play with the settings of the machine. Watch the video from the header, maybe the problem is on your part.

Rep: (159)
I have a Samsung QuadCore AMD A10-4600M machine, an AMD Radeon HD 7660G video adapter. As LAD75 already wrote - I have a similar situation. One to one. The virtual machine is running, but the installation fails. Worth Windows 7 Home Basic.

Rep: (3)
Now you have an already rooted Android with firmware for developers.

For some reason I have no root

Screenshot
Attached Image

And, I realized, it was necessary to boot into debug mode

Screenshot
Attached Image

Post has been editedXaZzTur - 14.12.14, 13:21

Rep: (31)
I installed the latest version of "android-x86-4.4-r1" on both VirtualBox and VMwareWorkstation.
Strongly refuse to run many programs. The same wired gallery ....
Attached Image

Applications crash at startup with the same message.
Is it treated somehow? Or nothing to do?

Post has been editedxTurbo - 15.12.14, 13:36

Rep: (0)
possible through DAEMON TOOLS
: happy:

Strongly refuse to run many programs.

I have the same situation ... I tried installing on both Windows and Ubuntu ... I think this is the case:

(!!!) Important: android-x86 is not intended for installation in a virtual machine and is designed for installation on real hardware (computer, laptop, netbook).

Perhaps everything will work when installing the system on the computer itself, and not on the virtual machine

Post has been editedXaZzTur - 17.12.14, 11:23

XaZzTur @ 12.17.2014, 12:10*
Perhaps everything will work when installing the system on the computer itself, and not on the virtual machine

Installed on a hard disk - the same thing, many applications are installed, but do not start ... Maybe this is due to the capacity of the processor ... Probably the processor architecture should be only 32-bit (x86), without a 64-bit extension (x86 -64) ...

how did you do this?

Rep: (1)
Thank you very much for the very detailed instructions!

not shy. gives an error message.

Attached images
Attached Image

Rep: (0)
I can’t attach to the Internet and that's it ....

Is it treated somehow? Or nothing to do?

Installed on a hard disk - the same thing, many applications are installed, but do not start ... Maybe this is due to the capacity of the processor ... Probably the processor architecture should be only 32-bit (x86), without a 64-bit extension (x86 -64) ...

If the Intel processor, then you can try their special assembly. These problems were fixed there. I think that the bitness problems will be fixed in 5.0, there is also x86 and x64 support.

JohnyJah @ 12.19.2014, 12:36*
not shy. gives an error message.

Virtualization issues in hardware.

Rep: (12)
I installed the android on Oracle VM VirtualBox. Many programs rotate the screen 90 degrees. Turning off auto-rotation does not help. Maybe there are some hot keys?

* Volk_J,
Enable / disable auto-rotate screen. No other way.

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 08/06/19, 09:15