Android to a virtual machine | Install Android on your computer / laptop through virtual machines

Rep: (65)
Install Android on your computer / laptop through an Oracle VM VirtualBox virtual machine or VMWare Workstation.
The latest and most stable version at the moment: Android 8.1 Oreo with security patch January 5, 2019 (build image: January 17, 2019)

Hardware Requirements:
1. Intel / AMD x86_64 processor with virtualization support: 2 threads (minimum) // 4 threads and more (recommended)
2. 2 GB of RAM (minimum) // 4 GB of RAM (recommended)
3. Hard disk space 8 GB (minimum) // 10 GB or more (according to your needs)

Before starting work:
1. The virtual machine itselfOracle VM VirtualBox 5.22(Version 6.0 is currently not on friendly terms with Android-x86, while we are using stable 5.2)
2. The image of Android. Download it from the siteAndroid-x86.org
3. Enable the virtualization function of your processor in your host BIOS (for different motherboards and processors this parameter is called differently in the menu, you need to look for an example on my motherboard in the picture)
Attached Image

Installation examples (video):

Full text installation instructions in Oracle VM VirtualBox. Image: android-x86-8.1-rc2.iso.
0.1. Download and install the program.
0.2. Download the Android image.

1.1. Create a virtual machine with any name, system type: Linux, version: Ubuntu (the bit is not important).
1.2. The amount of RAM depends on your computer / laptop, it is better to put half of the available (i.e. if you have 8 GB on your host, then you can safely put 4 GB).
1.3. Create a new virtual disk, VDI, Dynamic, the volume is better from 8 GB (depending on the number of applications you need).
1.4. We go in the Holy Island of the created machine through the button Configure.
General - Advanced - Turn on the bidirectional buffer.
System - Motherboard - Remove the check mark in the boot order from the diskette
System - Motherboard - Tick Enable I / O APIC
System - Motherboard - Cursor Manipulator - set the PS / 2 mouse
System - Processor - 2 CPU cores (or more, if possible)
System - Processor - Enable PAE / NX
Display - Video - Video Memory 128 MB
Display - Video - Tick Enable 3D acceleration
Media - Controller: IDE - Click on Empty and to the right where the drive window is click on the disk and select the downloaded Android image.
1.5. Click OK.

2.1. We start the car.
2.2. In the first window, use the arrows on the keyboard to select the lowest Installation - Install Android-x86 to harddisk, confirm the choice by pressing Enter.If you propose to install GPT, refuse!
2.3. After running through all the lines, a window appears, select the first item Create / Modify partitions in it.
2.4. In the appeared window with the arrow to the right, select Write and write yes, confirming by pressing Enter.
2.5. Use the right arrow to select New, then Primary, confirm the volume that appears.
2.6. Use the right arrow to select Write and write yes, confirming by pressing Enter.
2.7. Use the right arrow to select Bootable, press Enter and exit via Quit.
2.8. If everything is done correctly, then the first to write sda1 Linux will appear, confirm Enter.
2.9. In the next window, select ext4. Then we confirm that we want to format the disk.
2.10. We are waiting for it to format.
2.11. In all the following windows, click Yes.
2.12. After the Android-x86 window is installed successfully; At the top, press the Devices button - Optical disk drives - Eject the disk from the drive. After that, select Reboot and press Enter.
2.13. The machine restarts and select the very first item.
2.14. After that we wait, the Android logo appears, and then the system setup, as if you have a simple Android tablet.

Now you have an already rooted Android with firmware for developers.

Screenshots
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

FAQ
How to change the screen resolution?
Android 4.4 and below:
In the folder with the virtual machine, find the file called machine_name.vbox, add the line to it:
<ExtraDataItem name = "CustomVideoMode1" value = "320x480x16" />
It determines the resolution and amount of memory for color.
Android 5.0 and higher:
Natively changing the resolution is still quite difficult, but there arecrutch. It works quite well.

VirtualBox 6.0 does not want to run Android
The problem is known, the solution is simple - install VirtualBox 5.22

How to enable full support for programs written for ARM in Android x86?
Settings - Android x86 options - Enable Native Bridge

What works and what does not work in the latest version (Android 8.1)?
Doesn't work: touch screen, google play and everything that comes out of it
Works: camera, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, mouse, keyboard, installation of .apk from any sources, simple games are started (maybe complex, but this is not yet accurate)

Is there a root?
There is.

Post has been editedSmit7564 - 28.02.19, 23:27

* kullun, sure you may. Not just some games.

Rep: (1)
Can you run games on armv7 on it?

Rep: (14)
Thank you so much for the instructions, I installed android 4.0.3 for it

Good thing

Rep: (0)
Even info is not enough, suggest:
1) The most important thing is how to install add-ons for guest OS? This is not the Windows, where I pressed the button and everything flew.
Without this, the resolution cannot be changed, and the most important thing is to set up shared folders.
2) What are the parameters to put in order to pick up an Internet? I now have a Wi-Fi that does not display anything.

Rep: (2)
It is not clear how to rewrite files between the main OS and Android: shared folders, clipboard, even USB drives, this Android does not see?

And how to change the device ID to some more common, and even many applications from the market can not even be downloaded!

With USB ---- figured out!

The rest is still unavailable 1

And how to prevent applications from being launched to flip the image at their discretion?

With USB ---- figured out!

Well, at least they wrote something like

Rep: (60)
Started 4.3 and 4.4. Lags ...

Rep: (5)
Put 4.4 r1 and rc2 in vmware 10 - work. How to turn on the sound and increase the screen resolution?

F (r) [email protected], 10:08*
1) The most important thing is how to install add-ons for guest OS? This is not the Windows, where I pressed the button and everything flew.
Without this, the resolution cannot be changed, and the most important thing is to set up shared folders.

No The system is designed for installation on real hardware running on it much faster and more stable. I put it myself, I know.
F (r) [email protected], 10:08*
2) What are the parameters to put in order to pick up an Internet? I now have a Wi-Fi that does not display anything.

If there is Internet on the host, it will be in the virtual, it clings itself. You just need to go to the browser and all pages will open.
It is not clear how to rewrite files between the main OS and Android: shared folders, clipboard, even USB drives, this Android does not see?

I did through Yandex.Disk. In a virtual machine, shared folders and stuff will not work without guest OS add-ons, but for Android they are not.
mandibul @ 10/15/2014, 6:22 PM*
Put 4.4 r1 and rc2 in vmware 10 - work. How to turn on the sound and increase the screen resolution?

The sound in the virtual machine should work. The resolution will be normal only on real hardware, in the virtual 800x600.

Rep: (40)

To work with files, I use far manager. To connect with android using pluginFardroid. True, you need adb. This is convenient for those who use debugging programs for android. Instructionhere.

There is another way: in the android install from the market "es explorer". In it, select "Network / Remote Access / Enable". And connect via ftp.

Androguy @ 10/02/2014, 10:36*
Started 4.3 and 4.4. Lags ...

Put 4.0.4

how to change color to 32 bit?

Post has been editedsana87 - 01.11.14, 21:13

Why get out the error - Could not start the session on the android virtual machine

In the folder with the virtual machine, find the file called machine_name.vbox, in it find the line
<ExtraDataItem name = "CustomVideoMode2" value = "320x480x16" />

Where 320x480 is the screen resolution, and 16 is the number of bits for color.

Vladvt94 @ 11/08/2014, 1:01 PM*
Why get out the error - Could not start the session on the android virtual machine

Is the problem specifically with android-x86 or with all the systems that are installed?

ONLY WITH FINGERS ON I DO THE ARROW OF THE MOUSE DOES NOT SHOW FOR MANY APPLICATIONS ON ANDROID THIS IS A PROBLEM! HOW TO MAKE WHAT B EARNED ARROW?
M
Check outForum Rules!
4.11. The title of the topic and posts is prohibited:
4.11.2. Writing topics and messages in CAPITAL LETTERS;

Post has been editedGridzilla - 12.11.14, 10:02

* bzsweet try this:
Settings - System - Motherboard - Cursor Manipulator - PS / 2 Mouse

In general, Windows did not encounter a cursor problem.

[email protected], 20:35 *

In the folder with the virtual machine, find the file called machine_name.vbox, in it find the line
<ExtraDataItem name = "CustomVideoMode2" value = "320x480x16" />

Where 320x480 is the screen resolution, and 16 is the number of bits for color.

I do not have such a line in the virtual machine ??? How else can you?

Is there anyone alive here?
I still have a question: igruha turned the screen 90 degrees. How can I turn back? after rebooting, too, all sideways)))

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 07/30/19, 10:57