> Attention!

We strongly recommend to readRules section "Android - firmware"

New threads need to be created only inroot partition! In the future, they will be processed by moderators.

873 pagesV  « < 870 871 872 873 > »  

> Google Nexus 5 - Kernels and their discussion
Survey on June 5th, 2017
The core you are using
Breakfast [ 86 ] ** [13,65%]
Blu_spark [ 146 ] ** [23,17%]
Franco kernel [ 51 ] ** [8,1%]
ElementalX [ 109 ] ** [17,3%]
Hells-core [ 9 ] ** [1,43%]
Bricked kernel [ 0 ] ** [0%]
Nitrogenextreme [ 9 ] ** [1,43%]
Uber kernel [ 3 ] ** [0,48%]
Truesight [ 11 ] ** [1,75%]
Racer kernel [ 1 ] ** [0,16%]
Bluemoon [ 1 ] ** [0,16%]
Other core [ 28 ] ** [4,44%]
Stock core firmware [ 176 ] ** [27,94%]
Total votes: 630

Alesaiko
Message#1
20.11.13, 23:15
const id
[offline]

Topics Curator
Group: Curators
Messages 1095
Check in: 27.03.14
Google nexus 5

Google Nexus 5 - Kernels and their discussion
PictureLG Nexus 5 D820 / 821 (Hammerhead)
Description | Discussion | Purchase | Accessories | Marriage | Nexus 5 Owners Club | power usage | Benchmark - results | Official firmware | Unofficial firmware | LineageOS | Ubuntu | MIUI | Kernels and their discussion | Modification of software and decorations

Important information and instructions

Before any actions with the device, do not forget to backup the system and EFS!

Fiks Wi-Fi(New firmware module wireless networks)
Qualcomm Experimental Proprietary Libraries from Qualcomm

Kernel installation

Before flashing, be sure to verify the type of kernel being flashed!
CAF kernels are designed for CAF firmware. AOSP kernels - for AOSP firmware, respectively.

Preparing to work with Fastboot

Literal way to install the kernel using TWRP:

• Reboot device to recovery (TWRP)
  • Click "Install"
  • In the opened explorer find and click on the zip-archive with the kernel. If the installed kernel is represented as a boot.img image, switch the explorer to img mode beforehand.
  • Install the kernel by pulling the install slider
  • Reboot to the system
Literal way to install the kernel using Fastboot:

• Prepare the folder with the necessary tools (ADB / Fastboot)
  • Place the kernel image in .img format in this folder
  • Reboot device in APPSBL (Fastboot) - Volume down + Power
  • Make sure the APPSBL (external bootloader) is unlocked.
  • Sew kernel using terminal command
    fastboot flash boot<core_name>.img

• Reboot to the system

Do not forget! The core should be stitchedafterinstall the firmware! The bottom line is that each firmware, not counting some incremental OTA updates, comes with its own sectionboot. As the name implies, boot is the boot partition. Roughly speaking, boot is the core, but at the same time not quite. On our device, this block consists of two separate parts: a compressed image of the kernel merged with the configuration tree (DT) - zImage-dtb; and root boot sector - initramfs. Many modern kernels use a special installation scheme: their scripts first disassemble the boot that is already present in the system, separate the initramfs from it and automatically compile the new boot with the replaced zImage-dtb, then the resulting block is flashed. This installation method ensures compatibility with all related firmware of the same Android version, be it LineageOS, stock firmware, or even MIUI.

If, after installing the kernel, the system refuses to start, it means that your kernel is incompatible with the installed firmware, or it contains a critical error. If in the first case it still makes sense to try again, but with a different configuration, then installing a broken kernel is a priori incorrect. Better turn your choice to the other side.

If you have any problems, you can easily return to the stock kernel. To do this, simply flash the boot.img image that comes with your firmware. However, the best way to avoid any problems associated with the tails from the previous kernel is to install the firmware clean, so that the system and boot sections return to their original state.
Kernel Testing and Reviews
Kernel Tuning Programs
Kernel settings from our users
Modified Kernels

AOSP kernels for AOSP firmware, CAF kernels for CAF firmware. Be careful before installing the modified kernel!

Actual kernels
AOSP kernels
Breakfast
BREAKFAST
Android 6.0.y - 8.1.0
Speklist
    Minimalistic core for AOSP firmware, the concept of which is a minimum of changes relative to the stock core:

• Clean baseandroid-msm-hammerhead-3.4-marshmallow-mr3 (hammerhead)orandroid-msm-flo-3.4-marshmallow-mr2 (flo), official tools and build configuration. The kernel is assembled as the manufacturer intended.

• The minimum level of intervention in the system. This archive only modifies the block.boot (/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/boot)replacingzImage-dtb (compressed kernel image combined with configuration tree)and device-dependent scripts ininitramfson your own. It is very simple to return the original state: it is enough to flash the original boot.img image that comes with the firmware.

• The complete absence of thousands of useless changes "as long as it was" and heaps of "security patches" for drivers that we do not use. Less than a hundred commits have been made to Breakfast, and most of them are preparation for the compilation, full support for Android N and their own buns. Before including a commit into the kernel, the modified code is carefully analyzed and, if possible, improved to eliminate potential troubles during execution.

• I completely rewrote the installation script in the shell command shell listing. Due to this, it became possible to more accurately install the kernel from the point of view of theoretical errors in the process of it, and also there appeared complete universality between all supported devices. A sort of personal AnyKernel. In addition, I removed the test for the existence of the power.msm8974.so library (power.msm8960.so in the case of Flo) in the system, since in the presence of a device-dependent analog (power.hammerhead [flo] .so, respectively), this library is not a priori is used. Therefore, if there is a check for a device-dependent PowerHAL, you can ignore the lack of a platform-dependent option. In practice, this will help with installing the kernel on many third-party firmware, the authors of which carefully remove it.

• The kernel is configured more aggressively in comparison with the drain. The CPU frequency changing policy now raises the frequencies noticeably more readily, while the I / O scheduler is now deadline (at hammerhead it is also used to process requests for data I / O in the mmcblk0rpmb modem unit). I turned my choice in his direction, refusing from CFQ and NO-OP, since the deadline allows you to quickly and simply prioritize read requests relative to those for writing, which is quite relevant in the mobile segment, where random data reading prevails over other I / O operations . Like the NO-OP, the deadline is a FIFO (First-In-First-Out) scheduler, and it also supports front-end occurrences (situations in which an I / O request ignores a queue and flies right in front of it), so that In terms of delays, he will not yield to anyone.

• I have significantly rewritten the standard CPU frequency changing policies (interactive is not included in this list), making them easier, smarter and easier to read. With the ondemand and conservative, they now more honestly calculate the current workload of the logical processor, and userspace no longer uses its own resources to modify global ones. However, I think technical details are not interesting to anyone (and if interesting, welcome tomy profile on github). I added several new (and not so) features:
    - Conservative henceforth again uses separate stepping values ​​of the maximum frequency to change the target. freq_up_step is used as a percentage of the current (not possible) maximum frequency by which this target frequency will move up. freq_down_step is an analogue for moving down (reducing the frequency). However, this is already familiar to you from my old cores and not only.
    - The sampling_down_factor in conservative now does what it needs for design. Oddly enough, this variable has been broken for four years. Now, as soon as the load on the logical processor grows to the up_threshold_burst threshold value (by the way, this is also a new variable. From this description of sampling_down_factor, you should understand what it does and why), conservative will use sampling_down_factor as a sampling_rate factor,if the previous frequency was lower than the maximum, and will raise the current frequency to the maximum. Obviously, this is done in order to reduce delays during an abrupt jump in load. Multiplied by sampling_down_factor sampling_rate, in turn, significantly reduces the frequency of new snapshots, allowing the processor to operate at an increased frequency of at least sampling_rate * sampling_down_factor milliseconds, which also helps the system to more quickly handle the source of this strong load spike.
    - With ondemand, things are more interesting: the new variable input_boost_freq indicates the frequency to which the current frequency of the logical processor rises during an input event. There should be no problem understanding this variable. Much more significant is the load_scaling variable. Reducing this variable to a non-zero value involves a special formula for calculating the target frequency:
    freq_next = min_f + max_load * (max_f - min_f) / 100
    Where:
    - freq_next - target frequency of the logical processor
    - min_f - the minimum possible (non-current) frequency (policy->cpuinfo.min_freq)
    - max_f - the maximum possible (non-current) frequency (policy->cpuinfo.max_freq)
    - max_load is the maximum load among all processors in the cpufreq policy (in our case it is the load of a single logical processor — the core)

At the same time, we should not forget that the usual increase in frequency for ondemand to the maximum while fixing the load above the value of the up_threshold has not gone anywhere. In the future, this formula allows you to use all the available frequencies, effectively neutralizing the predominance of any frequency in the absence of accompanying factors (in our case, PowerHAL and other mechanisms briefly increase the frequencies of all CPUs to certain values ​​in order to improve the response, so that the prevalence of these frequencies will not disappear ), which makes the "swimming" frequency itself much more accurate and flexible. By the way, exactly the same formula is used in Mainline (the latest Linux kernel 4.15+).

• The kernel contains the infrastructure necessary to correctly calculate the influence of specific tasks on the logical processor, relying on time windows, which ensured the uninterrupted operation of the cpu-boost module, which is used both to speed up the logical processors during input events and during the migration of tasks from one logical processor to another. At the same time, cpu-boost uses data from the above-mentioned infrastructure to preserve the efficiency of CPU acceleration processes during migration. However, cpu-boost is not used by default, since the firmware has a so-called PowerHAL, which performs almost the same tasks from user space. The presence of two simultaneously working solutions that do the same thing, for obvious reasons, leads to a conflict between them. Because of this, I leave cpu-boost inactive on all firmware, except Oreo (which support is not, ha ha), because everything with the interface’s smoothness and responsiveness is very bad (at least on unofficial AICP 13.1). However, you can use cpu-boost on any firmware. To do this, first of all, it is necessary to disable the synchronization of frequencies of logical processors during the migration of tasks in the cpufreq ondemand policy, if it is used, of course. The variable sync_on_migration is responsible for it. You only need to reset this variable if you need to use task migration messages directly from the nuclear scheduler center (only cpu-boost can work with them). The final chain will look something like this:

1. First you need to disable mpdecision using the terminal command:
      stop mpdecision

Thus, the influence of PowerHAL on the system will be neutralized without the need to interact with the power. *. So libraries themselves. Moreover, using mpdecision with cpu-boost is initially incorrect, as it expects prompts from PowerHAL, which in any case will have to be eliminated.

2. Now it is worthwhile to use direct messages about the migration of tasks between logical processors from kernel / sched / core, having previously turned off synchronization of frequencies in ondemand using terminal commands:
      echo 0>/ sys / devices / system / cpu / cpufreq / ondemand / sync_on_migration
      echo 1>/dev/cpuctl/cpu.notify_on_migrate
      # Does not exist in Oreo
      echo 1>/dev/cpuctl/bg_non_interactive/cpu.notify_on_migrate

3. Finally, it is already possible to activate cpu-boost with the help of a tweaker or manually (but more conveniently, nevertheless, with the help of a tweaker).

If suddenly the desire to use cpu-boost disappears, you need to perform the above steps in reverse order, or simply reboot the device.

• Clean and minimally crutch implementation of features familiar to you from other custom kernels.

• The ability to change the values ​​of amplification of sound lines, based on the restriction of the right to write to the target registers from the user space through the IOCTL interface. The fact is that the Android operating system uses the IOCTL interface to change the gain values ​​in accordance with the configuration specified in the configuration file/system/etc/mixer_paths.xml, after each reinitialization of the audio unit. For the user, this means that any changes in the gain values ​​from somewhere outside of AudioHAL will be safely overwritten by the system as soon as the sound device, whose gain has been changed, becomes active again. Many people know this in the form of resetting the module settings.Soundcontrolfrom uvFaux123and that of uv.franciscofranco. I use the easiest and “soft” for the system method of preventing rewriting: the registers whose gain values ​​will be subject to change through the sysfs interface are no longer available for recording via the IOCTL interface. For backward compatibility withSoundcontrolmy module initializes its sysfs outputs to/ sys / kernel / sound_control_3. However, there is a downside:The gain values ​​on the RO line from mixer_paths will no longer have any effect. In simple words, the so-called. The “sound modes” that amplify the speaker / microphone / headset will stop working. I do not think that this will be a problem for anyone, since the nuclear option offers the same opportunity, only working in real time.

• The minimum set of changes to generate the interface used to control the color scheme of the panel. Unlike other kernels, my options are noticeably lighter and are written in better quality language. So, my optionKCALlighter than the original from SW.Savocaby 61% andinterface to the registers payloadIn the MDSS controller, the lighter is the original from the SW.Myfluxiby 93%. Both interfaces are written using the best syntax present in our old kernel.

• Since, in fact, the Linux kernel is for me a kind of platform for running in low-level programming skills, I try to gradually improve my own work. The SysFS module for managing screen colors received minor syntax changes, however KCAL for Nexus 7 (Flo) has undergone significant changes: first, the panel color temperature is now changed using LUT registers. Unlike modern display controllers, our MDP4 controller does not provide a flexible interface for updating all IOCTL-accessible registers at one time, so the effect of altered values ​​of these registers can be manifested only when the panel image is updated simultaneously. LUT registers, on the other hand, cause the panel to be updated immediately, so the transition from the PCC to the LUT made it possible to make the color temperature change instantaneous. This, by the way, does not provide any other custom kernel. Color inversion works thanks to Inverse Gamma Correction registers; here, unfortunately, the behavior of the panel does not differ from that when the PCC registers are modified, so colors can be reversed only while updating the image on the panel.

• The interface used to change CPU-on-frequency voltages is rewritten into the framework format, i.e. It is universal in terms of the CPUFreq structure. Now it connects to the cpufreq driver, and does not go directly to the heart of the interface, which is unacceptable in Linux design. The acpuclk-krait interface itself received minor stylistic and syntactic edits. Nothing really interesting.

• At the same time, SysFS analogue of sound line gain control via IOCTL was rewritten in its entirety. This is a completely different interface that supports the registration of several hardware codecs at once and allows you to dynamically manipulate the gains of the required lines through SysFS. Also, like CPUFreq->VDD interface, my module is a so-called full interface, i.e. It is universal in terms of ALSA-compatible audio codecs. Intervention in the lines controlled through it by IOCTL is filtered using a simple filter in the function of recording to audio registers inside ALSA. This allows for fully dynamic register management, which implies the ability to take control of any audio register available in the hardware audio codec (see the header files wcd93xx_registers.h, where xx is the minor version of the hardware audio codec) and not worry about the conflict with IOCTL by customers.
    Map of the main sound registers hammerhead
    - Microphone in normal mode ->0x251 (TAIKO_A_CDC_TX7_VOL_CTL_GAIN)
    - microphone during video recording ->0x249 (TAIKO_A_CDC_TX6_VOL_CTL_GAIN)
    - Left channel headphone ->0x2b7 (TAIKO_A_CDC_RX1_VOL_CTL_B2_CTL)
    - Right channel headphone ->0x2bf (TAIKO_A_CDC_RX2_VOL_CTL_B2_CTL)
    - Left and right multimedia speaker channels (single channel sound) ->0x2e7 (TAIKO_A_CDC_RX7_VOL_CTL_B2_CTL)
    Map of the main sound registers flo
    - Microphone in normal mode ->0x249 (TABLA_A_CDC_TX7_VOL_CTL_GAIN)
    - microphone during video recording ->0x251 (TABLA_A_CDC_TX7_VOL_CTL_GAIN)
    - Left channel headphone ->0x2b7 (TABLA_A_CDC_RX1_VOL_CTL_B2_CTL)
    - Right channel headphone ->0x2bf (TABLA_A_CDC_RX2_VOL_CTL_B2_CTL)
    - Left channel multimedia speaker ->0x2c7 (TABLA_A_CDC_RX3_VOL_CTL_B2_CTL)
    - Right channel multimedia speaker (two-channel sound) ->0x2cf (TABLA_A_CDC_RX4_VOL_CTL_B2_CTL)

• The minimum and maximum driver brightness of the LM3630 (hammerhead) backlight can now be manually changed via the SysFS outputs / sys / class / backlight / lm3630 / device / lm3630_min [max] _level, respectively. This is a more correct analogue of Dimmer's favorite Backlight, used by many other cores. My core, in turn, allows you to edit the brightness thresholds used by the backlight driver directly. Accepted values ​​are in the range from 1 to 255 inclusive. You can see that by default the minimum backlight brightness on the Nexus 5 (hammerhead) is at level 5, i.e. you have the ability to make the minimum brightness significantly less than the one you are used to. However, LGE engineers didn’t just refuse to use the lowest possible brightness - the LM3630 at the hardware level is unable to provide uniform screen backlighting at a driver brightness below 3 (at least in the case of hammerhead). Take note of this.

• The kernel has the ability to switch between CD-ROM and USB emulation modes on the fly, using the sysfs outputcdromowned by the f_mass_storage platform driver. This is necessary for the correct operation of DriveDroid.

• The standard LED will now work forever if the off timeout (off_ms) is zero (logical, isn't it?). A similar method is used in the modified LightsHAL, used in many custom firmware to implement a notification about the status of the battery. Moreover, the support of a constantly active LED in the absence of a turn-off timeout can now be turned off. Judging by the custom firmwares branch, this is relevant for some Android Oreo users (there is no support in the kernel. It's funny, isn't it?). The corresponding SysFS outputs are in / sys / class / leds / red [green] [blue] / always_on. Yes, the always_on flag is set for each color separately. If you have a desire to disable support for the forever active LED completely, you can do it manually through the terminal / file manager or using the simplest Shell command:
    for i in red green blue; do echo 0>/ sys / class / leds / $ i / always_on; done

• Kernel Samepage Merging module has been added to the kernel. The module itself is strikingly different from that in the hammerhead drain kernel (Linux 3.4). The variant in my kernel almost completely corresponds to that in the official Nexus 5X kernel (bullhead) [Linux 3.10], not counting the activity during the system startup by default. I decided to leave KSM inactive, as it raises the overhead in the part of the virtual memory system responsible for the mapping of new pages. However, with current trends in terms of attitude to RAM, KSM can help reduce the workload of RAM and, as a result, improve multitasking. The choice between better multitasking and better performance is yours.

• The interface for controlling the voltages of the CPU as a whole does not differ from that in other cores (a variant from uvMyfluxi), however, unlike the others, it is implemented in a human way: without an incomprehensible conversion of functions into a completely different type (how did it work at all?), with protection in the form of a mutex and safe reading of the existing values ​​using the scnprintf function.

• IP (6) _NF_TARGET_TTL is active in the kernel. Those who need it know what it is. If this does not tell you anything, do not try to change the TTL value. This feature is extremely dangerous in that you can inadvertently create immortal network packets that will lead to the collapse of the network interface.

• The architectural timer now uses all 56 available architectural bits. Again, unlike the rest of the cores, I do not use the option of using all the bits from uv.Myfluxiwhich consists in porting the corresponding commit from u.Stephen Boyd, and which leads to random drops in the kernel due to the fact that the method of reading registers is not entirely correct on our architecture, but I use the register reading function already present in the kernel, simply removing zeroing of the upper 24 bits.

• I brought the frequency of the interrupt timer to the stock value - 100Hz. As it turned out, our old hardware is unable to work adequately with the triple number of interrupts, even despite the architecture of dynamic ticks. I noticed frequent cash misses and abnormally high overhead in some sections of the kernel, so let's leave it to newer generations.

• The entire architecture of nuclear timers, work queues and threads is reduced to the state of those in early Linux 3.8. It was necessary for me to get benefits from new internal calls, such as mod_delayed_timer, which made it possible to noticeably simplify some points. In addition, a more modern work scheduling architecture can reduce the cost of operations such as connecting / disconnecting logical cores, initializing and destroying work queues, reinitializing timers, etc. But the main goal was still to receive new calls. The rest somehow grew by itself. Honestly.

• The input event driver is now capable of handling several such events at once. At the same time, I saved the hardware calibration of monotonous time events. All this together made it possible to avoid extremely high intervals of being in a state of disconnected interrupts in moments of superstrong system load, coupled with a huge number of synchronous input events. This is quite useful on devices with increased interactivity, such as smartphones and tablets.

• Last time I forgot to report that the kernel is able to work with file systems such as NTFS and exFAT. Fans of connected storage must be satisfied.

• Finally, the main chip of the Breakfast, which is the central trump card and the basis of core competitiveness. Do your moods often drop after your favorite device suddenly freezes and reboots? After this depression eats you with your head? No problem! New Breakfast with its signature chip - a pulsating LED during power-up - will take you out of the abyss of despair. Beautiful iridescent LED charms, forcing to restart the smartphone more and more often. Spontaneous reboots are no longer annoying, on the contrary: they delight the eyes and soul. Unfortunately, Nexus 7 users are less fortunate: this tablet has a simple monochrome LED. But even so, a bright white light is better than nothing.
Download
| Version List -Github
| Special version for Android Oreo -

savagemessiahzine.com download

Additional Information
| Original post -savagemessiahzine.com
| Author's profile -savagemessiahzine.com
| Source -Github
Blu_spark
Blu_spark
Android 6.0.y - 7.x.y
Speklist