Microsoft Surface Pro 2 - Discussion | [tabletpc] Windows OS, Tablet / 10.6 "/ Intel Core i5 Haswell / 4 / 8GB

Rep: (61)
Surface Pro 2 - Discussion | Surface Pro 2 - Purchase and Accessories пїЅ | Microsoft Surface 3 пїЅ | Microsoft Surface Pro 3 пїЅ | Surface RT пїЅ | Surface pro пїЅ | Surface 2 пїЅ

Attached Image

Specs
Microsoft began to use the new processor when assembling the Surface Pro 2 tablet
The devices presented on October 22, 2013 were performed on an Intel i5-4200U 1.6GHz processor, after only two months, the new Surface Pro 2 batches are already being released based on Intel i5-4300U 1.9GHz.
Microsoft representatives confirmed in an interview for The Verge that the processor had been changed and explained this with the usual optimization of the system components.
A source | Comparison processors on cpuboss.com

Attached Image
Operating system: Windows 8.1
CPU: Intel Core i5-4200U / 4300U Haswell
Graphics processor: Intel HD 4400
RAM capacity: 4 GB or 8 GB DDR3-1600
Screen: TFT IPS, 10.6 ", 1920x1080, 208 PPI, without air gap, multitouch with up to 10 touch points
Memory: 64/128 GB of internal memory for models with 4 GB of RAM, 256/512 GB for models with 8 GB of RAM, support for microSD memory cards
Camera: Two cameras of 1.2 MP, 720p, without autofocus, with activity indicators
Sound: Dolby stereo speakers
Sensors: Accelerometer, gyroscope, compass, light sensor
Wireless connection: Bluetooth 4.0, WiFi 802.11a, b, g, n, Miracast
Battery: 42 Wh (5676 mAh), 7.4 V
Dimensions (LxWxD): 274.6 x 172 x 13.4 mm, weight 907 g
Connectors: USB 3.0 (USB host), mini DisplayPort, 3.5 mm mini-jack, magnetic keyboard and charging connectors
Other: Folding stand is fixed in two positions: 55 В° and 22 В°
Official accessories
Utility

AppFeds - browsing the Windows Store, tracking application discounts, viewing statistics.
Windows Compatibility Center.
Official page

Do not forget to use the search and read the cap!

Post has been editedgr-e - 16.09.16, 21:33
Reason for editing: Installing Remix OS

Rep: (342)
how much will there be a significant difference in performance

Not at all. Both the tablet and Sony VAIO Pro SVP1321T6R with identical hardware. The core i7 processor installed in Sony VAIO Pro SVP1321U6R with a higher frequency will give a performance boost, but taking into account the fact that these are mobile solutions, this is not essential. those. some tasks that core i7 will cope with and core i5 will not cope with.

Rep: (192)
Nenene, Vaio Pro has serious problems with the cooling system, because of which the iron potential is revealed only at 2/3 of the maximum. This is recognized even in Sony, but they are in no hurry to correct it.

While the Surface Pro 2 has no such trouble, according to the test results.

Post has been editedMortare - 07.11.13, 17:07

Rep: (0)
On the site mobi-mix.ru interface about 2 128 gig. It costs 41000, and the interface about 2 256 gig costs as much as 58000 !!! The difference is only in the amount of memory, well, not 17,000 to beat for it. Maybe there are comparative tests between interface 1 and 2 which thread? In addition to the battery ...

Rep: (10)
Translated user feedback from Amazon.

Before I bought the Surface Pro 2, I used the MacBook Pro for almost 7 years. Before that, I used an HP laptop for almost 6 years, but it was time for something new and I spent 4 months carefully researching the new products until I came across Microsoft Surface Pro 2.

I do not understand his constant comparison with the iPad and MacBook Air. Why then not compare it with the PS3 or Toyota Prius? They are in different categories and the person who came to the store for the iPad came to the store not for Surface. I will not even consider the iPad, because I belong to those who need exactly Surface. In addition, I believe that the Acer Iconia W700 is a better offer from all sides, but I just could not find a single one for three months. They are both excellent similar devices, but Acer is more economical and includes more built-in features. But since I can’t get it in my hands the brand new Surface and it suits me well.

Assembly.

Surface looks great. This is a quality made device and you can talk for a long time going into the details of each detail. It can be compared with the Kindle, but for me it is a full-fledged computer. If it is difficult for you, you should go to the gym. In portrait mode, the device is narrow and thick, which is good for some programs and not so much for the rest. The same can be said about landscape mode. The materials are high-quality and pleasant to the touch, but I must admit that this smoothness in a $ 1000 tablet is a little annoying. You should purchase a case if you want to take care of it.

Performance.

This is what you take the PC for. I immediately downloaded MATLAB, launched my Office365 trial, went into all email accounts and got started. I must say I launched difficult applications and he did not flinch. I put several downloads, streaming HD videos and MATLAB with Excel at the same time and did not notice any lags. Working on a small screen requires getting used to, especially in programming and spreadsheets, but the fact that working on tablets is probably already impressive. It should be understood that Surface will not replace you with a full-fledged workstation, but it can help with the work.

Games

This is not a gaming PC. They make gaming PCs for these tasks separately. There are also console consoles that can do nothing but launch high-end games. After downloading Office, I downloaded Steam and played a little. No, Surface is not a portable replacement for the Xbox, but you can run average games on it. Here is a list of what I played:

Portal 2
Dead space 2
Half life
Super meat boy
Braid
Far cry 2
Limbo

I also heard that games like Skyrim are going well, but have not tried it myself yet. I will update the list after testing more games, but maybe now you have an idea of ​​what this device can handle.

Screen

It is small. But the resolution is very high. Because of this, as many have already noted, this makes things on the desktop very small and working with a 100% review level is a difficult task, if not more. This is an amazing screen, very bright and pleasant to view, but working in a traditional Windows desktop is quite complicated. You can work in most programs by increasing the visibility, but not all applications are optimized for the Surface screen and sometimes you have to choose between a tiny image and blurry text.

Touch functions work well in Windows 8. I like swipe management and it's not that hard to learn. Managing your pen is fun and complete. This is a good alternative to the trackpad, it also recognizes well even my sloppy manuscript. I’m not sure that this function will replace the usual text input, but it is rather needed for pleasure. If you want to introduce an equation in Word, a pen can do it well. And when applications optimize for a touch, it will only get better.

Battery / Memory / Applications

Most of all, the battery upset me in the device. I did not measure the exact time, but at times I wore the device off and could not start it because the battery was exhausted. I worked a lot on this very hard, but such a short life from a single charge can not be unreasonable, although, in any case, it could be better.

The unit heats up noticeably so that you can feel the light breeze of hot air from the side air vents. I hope this doesn’t upset the fans very much.

Since the beginning of use, I have had 89.4GB of free space. I haven’t deleted anything yet or removed the recovery section, but I figure that you can free 12GB, plus 64GB from the memory card and an infinite limit via the USB port. True, I doubt that someday I will need more than 90GB of internal memory.

I still don't understand the application argument. Maybe for Windows Phones or Windows Surface RT, but Surface Pro has full access to the world of applications. I don’t need a photo editor when I have Photoshop and I don’t need Angry Birds when I have Skyrim and Black Ops. I don’t understand how the lack of applications can be an argument against Surface Pro.

Keyboard

The keyboard is technically not part of the Surface. It is slightly smaller than usual and requires getting used to, but I did not experience any problems in typing and it is difficult to imagine the performance of any work without it. It works great, but for $ 1000 I want more. The trackpad is just awful. In addition to the usual touches, the use of a mouse is sometimes required. In addition, you should not forget that this is a full-fledged PC with a USB port and Bluetooth and therefore you can connect any keyboard, not necessarily from Microsoft.

Afterword

For me, a big problem when using the device was the lack of USB ports, I would like one more. The cameras are terrible, as in any tablet, but this port would be better instead.

Microsoft knows how to make good devices and enter the market with them, as we saw in the Xbox example. Some compatibility issues should be noted, for example, the Kindle does not work with text books, but this is already an Amazon / Windows 8 problem.

That's all. I am very happy using Surface Pro. Hope this review has helped you.

Post has been editedjerkyme - 10.11.13, 10:39

Rep: (1)
Dear forum users, tell me:
1. Do you use (bought) whether surfase is mainly for games, watching videos, and for books, or is it oriented to business applications.
2. Are there many quality games in the windows store?
3. The sound quality in the headphones (I want to use it as an audio player)
4. The ability to use it in the subway, trains, (in transport) or mainly work / office and at home (only for transportation).
5. The quality of games (specifics, shadows, etc.) is different compared to games on android or IOS.

AVALON2006 @ 11/08/2013, 10:17*
1. Do you use (bought) whether surfase is mainly for games, watching videos, and for books, or is it oriented to business applications.

Here you can safely focus on the functionality of any modern ultrabook. Everything for which they are bought can be Surface 2. The only difference is in the diagonal of the screen and in the form factor.
In other words, it is entirely suitable for both the first use case and the second. However, if you are only interested in the consumption of content, you can find a tablet easier and more autonomous, including also on Windows. If you are interested in the second scenario or combining the first with the second - Surface 2 is quite an adequate choice.
2. Are there many quality games in the windows store?

Few. But you can always install some PC game and play it incl. using the touch screen. Strategies are great for this, especially turn-based ones. The entire series of Heroes, for example, including 6th, Disciples 2nd and 3rd, 5th Civilization, and if you want, then 2nd startcraft or Dawn of War 2. Fortunately, where the touch screen is not too convenient, the complete Surface stylus copes perfectly - he, in fact, completely replaces the mouse.

For me personally, these games are much more valuable and more valuable to my heart than primitive under-games on Android / iOS.

Also recently appearedprogram, with which you can emulate a mouse and keyboard via on-screen joysticks - the same as in games on Android and iOS. Thanks to this program, you can play on windows-tablet even in such masterpieces as Skyrim and Borderlands. Not very convenient, true, but it's a matter of habit.
4. The ability to use it in the subway, trains, (in transport) or mainly work / office and at home (only for transportation).

In this regard, Surface 2 is no different from any other tablet on Android or iOS. Well, except for the weight, but this is also a matter of habit. And so, it can be successfully used in any conditions - even while standing, even on your knees, even lying on the couch.
The quality of games (specifics, shadows, etc.) is different compared to games on android or IOS.

If we talk about games from the Windows Store, then they are more primitive for the most part. If about PC games, then no miserable infinity blade can be compared, for example, with Skyrim in Full HD resolution and with the highest quality textures - and Surface 2 will calmly pull it at these settings and will issue FPS in the region of 30.

Post has been editedMortare - 08.11.13, 09:36

Rep: (38)
Mortare @ 11/08/2013, 10:31*
In addition, a program has recently appeared, with which you can emulate a mouse and keyboard through on-screen joysticks - the same as in games on Android and iOS. Thanks to this program, you can play on windows-tablet even in such masterpieces as Skyrim and Borderlands. Not very convenient, true, but it's a matter of habit.

There are no links to the gameplay of any 3D role-playing game (fallout3, skyrim) or something like that?

Deniska80 @ 11/08/2013, 11:37*
There are no links to the gameplay of any 3D role-playing game (fallout3, skyrim) or something like that?

Well, for example, skyrim on the Sony Vaio Duo in tablet mode -link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4ViB3TLvgA

Mortare @ 11/08/2013, 11:49*
Well, for example, skyrim on Sony Vaio Duo in tablet mode - link.

Yes, it’s not very convenient, but you need to take software!

PS2 It's good that I downloaded the trial. I had kotor2 and nwn2 installed on the tablet. For the first, he himself chose the joysticks and buttons, but he never saw them in the game (it is possible that the game is old and past directx are not supported). For nwn2 I downloaded the finished profile. I thought everything would be great, because There was a good touch control out of control. I launched it. All the convenient convenient touch controls that were before were gone. Play has become much less convenient.

Post has been editeddeniska80 - 08.11.13, 18:47

By the way about:
Jerkyme @ 11/08/2013, 08:31*
I did not measure the exact time, but at times I wore the device off and could not start it because the battery was low

Several times I "caught" the tablet on the fact that it independently turns on in the bag. Once I took it out, it was hot and the battery was discharged to "0". Several times you just get it out of the bag, and his screen is on. I sin on the Touch keyboard. Maybe because of it, or maybe because it is from the first versions of Surface (this is an option). I don’t see other explanations, the button could not be pressed by itself. So check it out.

Rep: (59)
Something the cap is not updating at all ...
Found an interesting channel onYoutube, there are many game tests on the Surface, including Pro 2
Of them:
-GTA 4
-Mass Effect 3
-BattleField 4 and 3
-Batman Arkham Origins
-Skyrim
-Crysis 2
and etc.

Rep: (0)
BaNNeR766, here it is, like the only one of its kind with a 12V output.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BB5VQC..._hps_bw_g107_i2
this guy sells a cable with a connector for Surface, there is a Chinese copy, there is an original, but two times more expensive
http://www.mikegyver.com/Surface-Battery-Car/(down below)

B) People help me decide, a choice between ipad air or surfase pro 2. Basically 90% for games, videos, books, 10% are documents (editing) word, excel and possibly in AutoCad, mostly I go by electric trains and metro. Is it convenient to work in surfase pro 2- Microsoft Office. Has anyone tried to work in AutoCad or ArchiCAD?

Post has been editedAVALON2006 - 12.11.13, 14:57

AVALON2006 @ 12.11.2013, 15:54*
People help me decide, a choice between ipad air or surfase pro 2. Basically 90% for games, videos, books, 10% are documents (editing) word, excel and possibly in AutoCad, mostly I go by electric trains and metro. Is it convenient to work in surfase pro 2- Microsoft Office. Has anyone tried to work in AutoCad or ArchiCAD?

Only you will answer this question. These are ALL different things.
Nobody knows what games you play. For books (if we do not take into account e-ink) and video - air. At times it will be more convenient to hold, especially when reading while standing in the subway and train.
In general, buy yourself a first interface. Like it - sell it and take the second one, no - air.

Deniska80 @ 12.11.2013, 20:23*
At times it will be more convenient to hold, especially when reading while standing in the subway and train.

I would formulate it as easier to hold, and not more convenient. In my opinion, in terms of holding, Surface, because of its shape, is the most convenient tablet. And why is it that reading all Surface formats for video is worse than iPad air?

Post has been editedmkpy - 12.11.13, 20:41

Rep: (3)
AVALON2006 @ 12.11.2013, 12:54*
Has anyone tried to work in AutoCad or ArchiCAD?

In AutoCAD, using a stylus, it's enough to sketch sketches - I liked it. I’m not used to full-time work yet - I think it’s a matter of time, but in any case, you need a keyboard - entering digital values ​​from the screen is not comme il faut at all

Mkpy,
Due to 2 times more weight. More conveniently I would say.
If with old iPads with a difference of 200 ~ grams you could convince yourself that you weren’t very heavy, then in the aftermath of the air, this is a serious argument.
In my opinion (there was a few months samsung ativ pro 700, a couple of years of iPad) and I managed to try helix - the interface, in terms of keeping - the most uncomfortable tablet, not in the store.
But, nevertheless, I have a surf)).
And the next one will be Surf 2 (if the Fujiks do not fire).

Post has been editeddeniska80 - 13.11.13, 02:16

Deniska80 @ 11/13/2013, 03:11*
The interface, in terms of keeping it, is the most uncomfortable tablet.

All individually. And Ativ was Slate and now the second tablet, and so on. Yes, the Surface is the heaviest, but due to the beveled inside it lies in the hands almost perfectly. Up to the point that it holds perfectly with two index fingers with the support of the pillows of the thumbs. Try holding the same iPad like that. He does not strive to slip out, he does not need to squeeze it, even in one hand he lies like a glove.

Rep: (59)
I bring to your attention a small reviewMicrosoft Surface Pro 2

Selection, acquisition
Immediately start with the fact that you should not compare it withiPadand similar tablets. This is not just a tablet, it is closer to an ultrabook, but without a keyboard (it is optional), I generally am silent about functionality. As one person said: the one who goes to the store for the iPad, he does not go for the Surface. Briefly and a bullseye! My subjective opinion: call himdevice, I think so far it belongs to a different class, something between tablets and ultrabooks.
At one time, you needed a tablet for entertainment and a laptop to work on the road or not in the hospital, but buying two devices is hard to carry, uncomfortable + more charging. When the first tablets with full Windows Pro came out - my wishes were taken into account by the designers, the ultrabook was stuffed into the tablet case. The first such device wasAcer Iconia Tab W700, but its third-generation Core i3 processor did not always cope with my tasks as we would like. When did the news aboutSurface Pro 2I realized - buy it! I chose the version of 256GB and the presence of 8GB of RAM.
He studied the market of mail forwarders and intermediaries to select the most optimal way to purchase. The choice fell onFishisfast(here is an advertisement to them in gratitude of the impeccable service). At the time of registration I was given an account status with many privileges (discounts) for 1 month. These included a free serviceFastbuy, this is payment by their card. I placed an order and sent me an order number and confirmation that the tablet was purchased (more precisely, at that time there was only a pre-order). Mikes promised to send the tablet before November 29th.
Attached Image

10.22 Tablet was in their warehouse, which they notified me about and also showed a photo.
Attached Image

Then I paid the ransom ($ 1299) and the delivery, which I calculated ($ 78.55) + commissionPaypal. FishisfastWe photographed the parcel, packed it and sent it on 24.10. The delivery method was selected test FastBoxExpress.
Attached Image

Honestly, the delivery service is phenomenally fast! Hurricane! The tracking surprised me, and when the courier arrived at my door and handed several pieces of paper, including the inspection report in case of complaints, I was very surprised. Everything is very, very competent. In a word - service.
I examined the package, signed for receipt and was somewhat happy.
Attached Image

On the outer and inner boxes not a single dent. Between the boxes is polyethylene with air chambers. Exactly what was photographed at departure.
Attached Image

Options and appearance, functionality
The box-case is made in the style of minimalism, nothing more, carefully glued with stickers so that nothing opens on the fly. The big number is "2" and the side version (the amount of HDD memory). Inside warranty, short description, stylus. I also found a small but pleasant surprise: a 200GB giftSkydrive+ minutes for communication onSkype.
Attached Image

The power supply, easier - charging, all made in the same minimalist style. There is also a port for charging a USB device. The charging itself is connected to the device (in this case, it is even appropriate to use "fastens") with a magnet, and the polarity can not be observed, and so and so. After fastening, the white LED lights up.
Attached Image

After unpacking, a slight panic arose. I could not at first glance determine which generation of Surface. Googling (Poindeksiv) found only 2 distinctive features:
1. The hinged stand is fixed in 2 positions
2. The inscription on the same standSurface
Seeing all this - relieved.
The first associations he took the device in his hands: the reliability of the assembly, the designers tried their best, everything was in the style of minimalism, but at the same time the feeling was that it was not a toy, but a serious device. Every little thing is functionality. Compared withAcerit is lighter and smaller in diagonal, but 1mm thicker. Some embodiment of power, innovation of ideas and compactness.
So. The stand has 2 positions, which is undoubtedly convenient. It is made very competently, clear fixation, reliability of fastening is not in doubt.
Attached Image
Attached Image

Side view. At the bottom is a connector for fastening the keyboard.
Attached Image

On the right is the microSDXC memory card slot, charging connector and mini DisplayPort.
Attached Image

Top microphone hole and power button.
Attached Image

On the left is a full-fledged USB 3.0 connector, a “rocker” for volume control and a headphone jack (for acoustics, someone like that) mini-jack 3.5 mm.
Attached Image

Under the stand is the inscription of the device version (256GB)
Attached Image

The cooling radiator is made beautifully, fits into the concept of the entire device. Located on top of the gap. Also, the continuation of the radiators (in the same slit and in the same style) made speakers that are located on the sides. The sound is stereo. But I will not say that it is worse than that of Acer (Dolby home theater).
Attached Image

I believe that this beauty has affected the quality of the presentation of sound to the user. The fact is that the tablet on the side looks like a trapezoid, and the section with the speakers goes closer to the narrow side of the base of this trapezoid. As a result, the sound is reflected from the side back. Not the best solution.
Attached Image

Stylus, screen, camera
Stylus - great for its task, Wakoma substrate gives its advantages. Accurate, holds comfortably in the hand. The sting is blue, the force of pressing matters. On the reverse side of the button, its function is an eraser. It is attached to the tablet with a magnet, in the same connector as the charge. Cleverly invented. The same protrusion that serves as a fastener is a button. Its function is equivalent to pressing the right mouse button.
Attached Image

There is a camera here, as many as two with activity indicators. Both are not the best, but not the worst. ForSkypecome down, well, or indulge. Able to record video up to 720p. The rear camera is located at such an angle that if you put the tablet on a more or less even surface (resting on a stand), then it will be directed not down, but parallel to the surface.
Attached Image
Attached Image

A 10.6-inch screen has a record brightness of 380 nits, viewing angles are maximum, color distortion during tilting is minimal. Resolution is 1920x1080, 208 PPI (pixels per inch). High resolution initially causes some difficulties in desktop mode, then you get used to it, well and a stylus - helps out, almost replaces the mouse. There are no problems in the Metro UI. It’s convenient to read books, eyes do not hurt after a long reading.

Autonomy, performance, wireless
Battery coupled with a fourth-generation processor fromIntel(Core i5-4200U Haswell) holds excellent. Compare withiPadnot worth it; there is a different processor and product concept. I will say this: in the "energy saving mode" with a screen brightness of 50% I watched 2 720p films of more than 5GB in size and each lasted more than 2 hours, the "airplane" mode was turned on. After viewing, 15-20% of the battery charge remains. Not bad.
Surface Pro 2has on board WiFi 802.11a, b, g, n and Bluetooth 4.0. The WiFi signal is excellent, even in the hallway. It’s a pity there is no SIM card slot, 3G or LTE would not hurt, especially for the money.
The speed of work at the highest level, desktop applications (in particular video and photo processing) are performed as on an advanced laptop. The video card and the presence of 8GB of RAM allow you to play modern games. Youtube has an interestingchannelwhere there are many game tests on this tablet. Screenshots of CPU-Z and AIDA64. AIDA64 clearly shows the differences in frequencies and voltages in the "high performance" and "energy saving" modes.
Attached Image
Attached Image

3DMark showed not many "parrots", but they are not true, because I was unable to install the latest drivers fromIntel HD 4400. I think how it turns out - there will be much more. Itself launched GTA IV on settings above average - very much nothing, you can play, and sometimes you need to)
Attached Image

Conclusion
The device (a tablet, an ultrabook, let everyone call it what they think is necessary) or just Surface Pro impressed me with its design, bold design decisions and, of course, ease of use, performance and functionality. I think over time, Microsoft will still put it in a case the thickness of an iPad and then really it will become the best!
Pros: performance, functionality, quality, build reliability, design, autonomy, stylus, etc. Of the minuses: quality or painting technology failed, some users have chips on the case (there is this topic) and the price ...
P.S. I hate Habrahabr)) (see posts above)

Post has been editeddoberman_dsl - 13.11.13, 18:55

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 08/08/19, 9:23 p.m.