Upgrade / Improve your PC | tips on choosing new components for your computer

Rep: (1212)
We improve your computer
FAQ on the choice of components for the PC

Attached Image

Attention!

How to ask for help in upgrading
Dear visitors, please follow these requirements to assist you:
  • Describe the complete configuration of your PC, including the case model and monitor
  • Describe what you lack in the current PC, what you want to get in the end
  • Budget for upgrade, store, city

If an upgrade is planned from used components from Avito, OLX, or other sites,you will need to look for such components personally, since it’s impossible to go through all the options in search of the right one - it’s difficult and time consuming. Links to the found options can be laid out in order to choose the best of them.
Thank!
useful links
For advanced:
Some platforms on the 775 socket allow you to install server quad-core Xeon processors on a 771 socket, which are very cheaply sold on Chinese marketplaces. However, there is still a risk that something will go wrong - mainly due to limited support for motherboards, BIOS firmware, modified firmware, and socket damage during preparation and inaccurate installation of the processor. Further information can be found on the links below:
Topics on the choice of components

There is no curator in the subject. For questions about filling the caps, please contact the section moderators via the buttonPictureunder the messages to which you want to add links.

Post has been editedstp101 - 27.03.19, 20:05

Rep: (50)
Hello!
There is an old computer in 1998, we need your advice on the highest possible upgrade (processor, memory, hard, etc.)
maybe for someone the topic is ridiculous, but for me it’s important, you just need to bring the PC into a more productive state, and more experience, I had laptops all the time, and as you know, there’s nothing special to do, this is my first PC: lol:
just need to gain experience, and therefore I resurrect it.
under the spoiler its main parameters
Sorry that the photo, not the screenshots, the computer does not have a USB controller, could not overtake screenshots on the USB flash drive
there is no disk drive and there is not even a floppy, although from it self-interest as a be "0": beee:
In general, I have some inclinations, but there is no determination ...
so I will brainstorm and ask you to write something
And now, regarding the process, I understand that it is possible to replace it with a Pentium 3 or Pentium 2, but which one I have not thought of yet
The maximum number of RAMs supported by the chipset (I understand this) is 512 MB, maybe I'm wrong, correct it.
In general, what else can you deliver from him, write everything that you consider appropriate, I will hear your thoughts once again: yes2:
Sorry that such a button accordion turned out (if someone from the older generation than I have experience with such old machines, write to QMS to help your ready to throw a little WMZ on Webmoney (if only to increase knowledge of old pieces of iron)
if not there you wrote, say, transfer the topic, or send it to some kind of forum where they can really help with such old components.
another link to the chaset, it seems to be mine, but honestly I'm not sure440bx
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Rep: (39)
trafic777,
hurry upset you, you will not find such spare parts (. Even on the 775 socket it’s hard to find a mother and a cent. It’s better to assemble a superbudit PC, it will be better. Pentium 3 is not on sale for a long time, it's like a mammoth bone.

Korday,
Perhaps you `re right! I probably did not mention important information, I have a friend who works as a system. admin, and at the same time all sorts of old stuff in the radio market, so that the second stump I can buy for 50 UAH. stump 3 for 100 UAH. In general, access to old components is. It's not a problem.
and thank you for responding, I hope the theme will take root, and a little rotate ...: yes2:
Korday @ 06/12/2013, 18:32*
It is better to collect superbuddetny PC

It's not about money, I have two laptops on core i5, I have enough power, but fundamentally I am interested in the study of ports, buses, about everything that has gone down in history.
It is just that this prototype PC is presented for study, if it is not a pity to kill.

Post has been editedtrafic777 - 12.06.13, 18:44

trafic777,
This board supports a stub2 only, and it has a 100 MHz bus, what is its name? it seems to have announced its intel in 1998, and there was a breakthrough in the computer industry.

Post has been editedKorday - 12.06.13, 18:47

Korday @ 06/12/2013, 18:46*
and the tire she has in 100 MHz, what is her name

you about ittykor I did not understand you ....?!

Rep: (1946)
Korday @ 06/12/2013, 19:46*
What is her name?

http://engine54.narod.ru/mb/mb/MB2AsusB687Z.htm

trafic777,
No, I'm talking about your motherboard model. You can find out what chipset you have. For example, Asus Rampage Gene V on the Z77 chipset is a gaming motherboard.

pasha_550
Yes, that would be it: thank_you:
the photo in the cap has all the info with Everest-a ...
or the photo in the cap does not open full screen, if not, I will reload the smaller size ...
In the vastness of neta, I found the post of one person who set the percentage more than 55 MHz. writes that everything works
I quote:"Now, Selon 766 is working on this mamke on a bus 83.3 of only 958 MHz and does not groan. True, the BIOS defines it as 912 PІІІ but otherwise there are no glitches"

Is it real?

Post has been editedtrafic777 - 12.06.13, 19:09

trafic777 @ 06/12/2013, 19:52*
reload smaller size ...

No thanks. ) It seems to be so clarified?
http://www.rom.by/forum/Maksimalnyj_protse...a_Procomp_B687Z
http://forum.ixbt.com/post.cgi?id=print:9:49556

Here are the manuals on Procomp B687Z and B687, because it is not clear which of them - BIOS gave the info through a slash.
Attached fileb687.pdf(517.31 KB)
Attached fileb687z.pdf(517.85 KB)

Post has been editedpasha_550 - 12.06.13, 19:13
Reason for editing: manul

It seems that if you put a stump2, then you can open it up to 400 MHz, I do not know about seleron. But then, as a ba ... you can speed it up, put for example 40GB hdd and a video card for example GF2 or GF2MX. It will be possible to play games.

Korday @ 06/12/2013, 19:12*
video card for example GF2 or GF2MX

about the video card, this is still necessary to look for ... =)
Generally stoosovno cards, it should have some special features, or just to look for an AGP bus?
Do not laugh if the question is stupid, damn the tires, as if I know, but what is there to shove in them ...
let's say for example this is suitable?mx400d?

Post has been editedtrafic777 - 12.06.13, 19:21

Korday @ 06/12/2013, 20:12*
It seems that if you put a stump2, then you can open it up to 400 MHz, I do not know about seleron.

Exactly the opposite - Selick pursued remarkably. Especially, as at the HARDWARE, with "And".
http://forums.overclockers.ru/viewtopic.php?p=32511
http://www.ixbt.com/cpu/mendocino.html

trafic777 @ 12.6.13, 20:16*
Generally stoosovno cards, it should have some special features, or just to look for an AGP bus?

Theoretically, if the card fits into the slot (the slots in the slot coincide), then you can stick it in, but in practice, the cards were confused for different voltages.http://nvworld.ru/faq/agp-installation-guide/
A warning : A number of the first motherboards on chipsets with support for only AGP 2.0 (1.5V), in particular Intel 845, have a universal slot that allows you to install an AGP 1.0 card (3.3V). Installing such a card is likely to lead to failure of the motherboard.

A warning: A number of video cards, in particular those based on the 1999 Riva TNT2 and Vanta-based ones have a Universal AGP connector, but in reality they are 3.3 V cards. Installing such cards in a motherboard that does not support a 3.3 V device is likely to damage the motherboard. If you plan to install such a card in a new motherboard, first check it in the AGP 2.0 motherboard, which is guaranteed to support 3.3 V cards. If the card is only a 3.3 V device, then it will not be able to earn in 4x mode.

Post has been editedpasha_550 - 12.06.13, 20:21
Reason for editing: referral

trafic777,
Here is a huge amount of material for you, as it was used the year beforetouch methere is everything. I know not so much about this, as I used to say SCHOOL, but still a map under AGP X2,4 is needed.

Posted on 06/12/2013, 19:29:

pasha_550
No, I just did not persecute them, so I don `t know.

Posted on 06/12/2013, 19:31:

pasha_550
This board does not have AGP x8 supported GF2, MX, radeon 9100 and the like.

There is a wonderful book where everything is painted and chewed:Scott Muller "Modernization and repair of PC". A hard copy was sold with a disk, on which lay the book version of the edition of the previous year. Located in any search engine for 5s.

More about AGP:
AGP Compatibility(there is a list of maps on agp revisions)
Articles :: Expansion Slots Rev 1.3 :: Motherboards.org
AGP Video Card Installation Notes

Post has been editedpasha_550 - 12.06.13, 20:26
Reason for editing: agp

pasha_550
Korday,
Thanks for the info guides and links, I will use it until there are no questions, if something is not clear, I will write here.
UPD / percent what is now worthCeleron-A 333 You can drive a little, but how? I did not find instructions, can someone know what's what?

UPD2 / There were disagreements about the video card, the voltage is not compatible, and so on, and what if you don't shove it inAGP tire and tire PCI ...?
Will there be more choice of video cards?

Post has been editedtrafic777 - 13.06.13, 13:29

trafic777,
just simply will not work: lol:possibly
Is it easier to find a suitable vidyahu and stick it in the AGP?

Post has been editedKorday - 13.06.13, 16:51

trafic777 @ 06/12/2013, 21:56*
UPD / percent that now costs Celeron-A 333, you can drive a little, but how? I did not find instructions, can someone know what's what?

A few posts above:Upgrade an old PC (Post # 22744201)

trafic777 @ 06/12/2013, 21:56*
UPD2 / There were disagreements about the video card, the voltage is not compatible, and so on, and what if you don’t push it into the AGP bus and into the PCI bus ...?

I think pci-cards are even more exotic now. )
There arelist, print out and go to the market or advertise on a local forum - cast aside with glands. )

Sorry that the photo, not the screenshots, there is no USB controller in the computer

Judging by the manual - there is. Just need to findsuchthe bar.

Pasha_550 @ 06/13/2013, 20:09*
Judging by the manual - there is. Just need to find such a bar.

I bought a controller for PCI, do you think it should work?
I did not even know that there was such a bracket for such a connector

Pasha_550 @ 06/13/2013, 20:09*
A few posts above: Upgrade an old PC (Post # 22744201)

To be honest, I didn’t understand how to drive the percents from these quietly stateteks ... :)
tomorrow will come a friend who fumbles in that, will drive =))

trafic777 @ 06/13/2013, 21:59*
I bought a controller for PCI, do you think it should work?

Most likely not - different versions of pci. )
http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=13:27788
Although the manual says "Support 3.3 / 5V PCI 2.1 bus Interface", but as far as I remember, the usb-controllers did not work on the 440th chipset. Easier to find the bar.

Pasha_550 @ 06/13/2013, 21:22*
Most likely not - different versions of pci. )

And the USB controller and network card autodetect when Windows 98SE starts, asks for drivers, downloaded, uploaded to the computer, tried to install, but when booting again asks for firewood, how to put them? tell me ...
USB controller modelVia Tech 3038 pci-usb (this is how it was determined at boot time), but writes on the chip VIAUSB2V270-L
I downloaded both such and such firewood, I do not know what the problem is.
LAN cardSureCom EP-320X-r1
In general, all autodetection, but how to put the driver that would work, I do not know, it does not work.
As for the processor, we drove a bit now working at 378 MHz
100 bus is not possible to switch, it is not in the BIOS ...
Attached Image

Post has been editedtrafic777 - 14.06.13, 19:56

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 09/03/19, 11:12