Asus Taichi - Discussion | [tabletpc] Ultrabook-tablet with two FHD screens

Rep: (22)
DiscussionAsus taichi
PictureTaichi 21, Taichi 31
Description | Discussion пїЅ | FAQ | Buying and Accessories пїЅ | Marriage пїЅ | Firmware пїЅ

Attached Image

Recently, I have a need for a more compact beech - a pair of the existing 13.3-inch Acer Aspire S7. Stopped on 11.6-inch models. Choose between Acer S7, Sony Vaio Duo and Asus Taichi. Very compact dimensions and low weight - everything was in favor of the S7, however, since I didn’t have a relationship with full-fledged tablets, I didn’t want to take a second copy of one model, I decided to buy a transformer - a beech tablet. Stopped at Asus Taichi 21.
I will try to compare the "Taichi" with Acer S7.
Keyboard: Taichi "does" the S7 in full: first, the backlight - it has three levels of brightness and works fine in any light (the S7 keys are "blind" when working at dusk). Secondly, the layout is familiar and convenient. And the buttons move softer.
Screen / screens: Two screens in Taichi is really a thing! You want - in your hands beech, you want - a tablet. Flying / traveling around the world will appreciate. In addition - the internal screen of the "Asus" matte and glare on it almost none. And, despite the smaller screen size at Taichi, the eyes do not get tired when working. However, the S7 screen is brighter! And sometimes these extra nites are very lacking in Asus.
Dimensions: Here the S7 is ahead - it makes no sense to compare the length / width (all the S7 has a 13.3-inch screen, while the Taichi has 11.6, although there is a version with a 13.3-inch display), but the thickness of the Acer is almost half the size of the Asus.
Performance: My machines work on identical processors (i5), versions of "Windy" (Win8), RAM and there, and there 4 Gigabytes each, SSD for 128 Gigabytes. I did not feel any difference. The speed of loading beeches is about the same.
Autonomous work: Also Fifty Fifty.
Other: Taichi even in idle time heats up to 70 degrees, and S7 - up to 55-60, however, the cooling system of the latter is more noisy.
Conclusion: The devices are different, but I am pleased that it was Taichi who took it. Still, the possibility of transformation is a big deal.
Problems : So far, the processors temperature jumps: the idle time can be at the level of 45-50, and maybe - 70-80, under equal conditions. With the lid closed, of course, the temperature is even higher (as the lid closes the ventilation holes). In those. Support "Asusa" said that this is a feature of the model. Well, BT sometimes falls off.
While all;)
Problem solving

Post has been editedkomok1965 - 26.09.14, 10:02
Reason for editing: Completed at the request of VoidVolker

Rep: (18)
I had a question on the stylus.
I wanted to buy a stylus, not for sale.
I contacted asus support, they say: if it didn’t go in the kit, then your device doesn’t support it ...
I ask: why? After all, the specification for the laptop is generally the same. In different versions, only the processor and disk size are different.
Silence.

The stylus from samsung NOTE II 10.1 does not fit.

okaton I also did not have a stylus. Although there is a mount for it in the case: lol: The stylus from Note II also did not fit.

P.S So far without him.

P.P.S And how do you like the machine at all? With temperature, how are you?

Post has been editedkomok1965 - 19.04.13, 08:29

I, too, did without it, until I needed to make a change in the drawing on the plane: D
Finger is not convenient. I had to use the touchpad.

I like the machine, a good solution.
The external screen is bright, the sensor is cool.

Comparing the incomparable AT21 and SGN2
Viewing / editing documents is much more comfortable.
It’s not very convenient to play some toys.
The battery holds about 3 hours, tablets for 8 hours spoiled: D
Weight, in order to hold taichi freely in your hand, on weight for a long time, you must actively attend the gym and possibly master the art of taichi: D

Heating, mainly the upper part is heated, where the air ducts, under heavy load, almost the entire lower part is heated.
On office programs, the cooler does not connect immediately.
Launched empire total war - taichi turned into a stove, knees became uncomfortable: D
I ordered myself a Taichi Suit Cover, they speak with him more comfortably.

I practically did not use it as a laptop, in the sense of with an open lid, but I did not find any jambs or discomfort.

Post has been editedokaton - 18.04.13, 15:19

AT21 and SGN2

IMHO - it is hardly advisable to compare such different devices.

Taichi suit cover

The first time I've heard. Where did you order it? And how much is it?

Post has been editedChevy - 18.04.13, 15:31

Taichi suit cover

Rep: (192)
Now in search of a replacement for his current tablet on Windows 8, Samsung Ativ Smart Pc Pro on i5. Not that he didn’t suit me much with something, but it seems that with the current number of offers in the UMPC market, you can find something better than my Ativ.

Looked closely at Taichi. What do you like about him: the total weight of the structure is only 1.25 kg compared to 1.6 kg for Ativ with the dock connected (although in tablet mode, Ativ is 300 grams lighter than Asus, but you can put up with this), and Taichi has better materials case, there is a potential opportunity to find a modification with a Wakomovsky stylus, and also pleases the design of the device. Moreover, the last factor plays, oddly enough, a decisive value: it would seem nonsense, but the poor appearance of Ativ causes almost disgust, which pretty much reduces the number of positives from use and makes you want to get rid of it as soon as possible.

I was almost ready to buy Tachi in the near future, until I paid attention to the terrible circumstance described in this quote:
Chevy @ 04/18/2013, 12:35*
With the lid closed, of course, the temperature is even higher (since the lid closes the ventilation holes). In those. support Asus said that this is a feature of the model.

Actually, there are two questions for the owners of the device: when the lid is closed, does air blowing through the grill cease automatically? If so, will the fan work if the lid is opened, say, by 10 degrees? In theory, the resulting space would be enough to blow hot air.

And the second question: according to general feelings, how much does performance drop in demanding games with the lid closed (that is, when playing from the touchscreen) compared to playing in "laptop mode"? I understand that it should fall very much, because without active cooling, the i5 under load should go to throttling in a matter of seconds and reduce the frequency to a minimum, but ... Suddenly, a miracle happened and Asus set a threshold temperature to activate throttling in the region of 100-105 degrees?
In theory, they are not idiots, they must understand that in the “tablet mode” under any serious load the device will warm up like an iron - they should have provided some kind of solution to this problem.

PS: a small comment on the question. It’s clear that ultra-transformers are not gaming devices. But, in fact, their iron allows you to comfortably play some modern games at settings below the average. For example, on Ativa I enjoy playing 6 heroes in my free time. With a resolution of 1920 * 1080, medium textures and minimum basic settings, the FPS is kept in the region of 20-22. It is very playable, especially thanks to the stylus, which completely replaces the mouse.
And even though games on the tablet are far from the main thing for me, I would also not want to completely abandon them. That is why the issue with Taichi cooling in “tablet mode” is a very significant issue.

Post has been editedMortare - 19.04.13, 01:32

Mortare, Maybe you should not refuse to buy because of the temperature?
Firstly, maybe this is a feature of my instance specifically.
Secondly, yesterday and today, the beech behaves more or less normally: the temperature does not rise above 70 even with the lid closed. Maybe he "breaks in"? : D
Although what will happen in the summer is not entirely clear. But the fact that the device is a "hot thing" is for sure. All reviews talk about this. So the toys will probably warm him up even more.
I myself also looked towards Samsung, but I was confused by two things - a large mass, as you noted, and, what is very important for me, the lack of keyboard backlighting. And I refused Sonya for the reason that the angle of the screen is not adjustable, and this is very critical for me.

Post has been editedChevy - 19.04.13, 04:26

Chevy,
Such a question for you: there is a gap on the top of the back cover of the laptop (highlighted in a red oval in the photo)
the photo
Attached Image

so, this gap is through - does it lead to the fan grill? Those. when the lid of the laptop is closed and it is used as a tablet, is hot air blown through this slot? If so, how do you feel - the curved shape of this "ventilation shaft" greatly prevents air blowing?

Looked at a lot of reviews. In some, the maximum processor temperature during stress tests was kept at 85 degrees, i.e. did not reach a critical point of 90, at which, as it turned out, throttling should begin.

In other reviews, they say that before throttling, the laptop still heats up. The devils know it, of course, maybe the reason for this discrepancy in information is some trifle, like the BIOS firmware version (say, the later version allows a slightly larger increase in the number of cooler revolutions under load than the previous one, or vice versa).

And so, judging by what I saw, I really liked Taichi. If in "tablet mode" the performance due to cooling problems does not fall below the level of "laptop mode", then the device is definitely worth it. However, when buying, a separate problem will be to find a store where this device is sold complete with a stylus, because its presence is critical for me.

And another question: what grade did Windows set the device in the "graphics in games" column? In some reviews there is a mark of 6.2 (as on my Ativa), in some - 6.4, which is clearly better. What about you?

Chevy @ 04/19/2013, 05:25*
And I refused Sonya for the reason that the angle of the screen is not adjustable, and this is very critical for me.

Yes, about Vaio Duo, I also thought. And this strange design of the slider was also embarrassing - what prevented me from making it with adjustable tilt angles, as on the same MSI S20, I do not understand. True, Sonya showed the best results among synthetic ultra-transformers in synthetic tests. The difference with the same Ativ sometimes amounted to almost 50%. Why so is a mystery. Perhaps the one who wrote the review compared Sonya on i7 with Ative on i5 - but why then? This is insanity.

Post has been editedMortare - 19.04.13, 05:01

Mortare @ 04/19/2013, 05:55*
Those. when the lid of the laptop is closed and it is used as a tablet, is hot air blown through this slot?

I don’t feel the air movement through this gap. Apparently, the air is not blown out through it, but is drawn in (as the Asus support service told me) and after that, already hot, it comes out through the holes on the bottom - and you can feel it with your hand.

with a stylus, as its presence is critical for me.

Or maybe a regular stylus for capacitive screens is suitable?

in the column "graphics in games"

I have 6.4

Chevy @ 04/19/2013, 06:07*
I don’t feel the air movement through this gap. Apparently, the air is not blown out through it, but is drawn in (as the Asus support service told me) and after that, already hot, it comes out through the holes on the bottom - and you can feel it with your hand.

Ah, here it is. The reviews said the opposite: the grill, located between the keyboard and the screen, blows air, and I tighten it with the grilles on the back cover.
Actually, on the Asus x202e, which I had at one time (by the way, it was also an ultrabook with a touch screen, but not a transformer), the grill between the keyboard and the screen was used to blow air.

Well then, everything is fine. The main thing is all the same the withdrawal of hot air from the body, and the grilles on the bottom should cope with this.

Or maybe a regular stylus for capacitive screens is suitable?

Here’s the trick: the Wakomov’s stylus, which Ativ has, has three significant differences from the usual capacitive one: it has a solid thin tip (and not thick and soft like a normal one), the system recognizes it as a cursor about a centimeter from the screen, t .e. until you touch it, which helps to position the stylus more accurately and makes working with pop-up menus easier, and most importantly, this stylus has a button that is perceived by the system as a right-click. This is much more convenient than a right click through a long tap with your finger.

In general, such a stylus is an irreplaceable thing. And, fortunately, the Taichi sensor matrix is ​​equipped with a substrate for working with this type of stylus. Moreover, Taichi’s stylus is even better than Ativ’s stylus - it has 2 buttons, and not one (though I don’t have any idea what function the second performs, but it can probably be adjusted by hanging ctr or esc on this button).

So, the thing is small - to find a complete set that includes this stylus. It will not be in the rst version - I'll take the "gray", it's okay. On reviews from eu and us regions, the stylus was included in the kit, therefore, if you find a “gray” device designed for these regions, the stylus should be there.
I have 6.4

Another great news (:

Mortare @ 04/19/2013, 06:27*
located between the keyboard and the screen, it blows air, and I tighten it on the grilles on the back cover.

I have the opposite: thank_you:
Mortare @ 04/19/2013, 06:27*
Another great news (:

IMHO - this device is not for heavy games.

Posted on 04/19/2013, 05:35:

P.S By temperature: yesterday and today, when working with office and Internet applications, the temperature in the open state is around 64-66, in the closed one - 71-73. The power supply has ceased to get very hot. I say well - the beech is "running in": D

Post has been editedChevy - 19.04.13, 05:35

Chevy @ 04/19/2013, 06:35*
IMHO - this device is not for heavy games.

Partly yes, partly no. Fortunately, there were enough devices based on core i3 / core i5 and integrated intel hd graphics - the same Asus vivobook x202e, Acer w700, and Ativ Smart PC Pro. So the potential of these devices is well known to me and it almost suits me (I would like for a little more, but, alas, there are only discrete GPUs for this, and there are no devices with touch screens and a sane weight of up to 1.5 kg with this GPU, except not yet released Razer Edge). And so, Skyrim at native resolution and medium textures (with minimal others) is playable, 6 heroes with identical settings, too, EVE online produces 25 fps at native resolution and medium settings (by the way, you can play it with one stylus, without mice and keyboards. So quite a tablet MMORPG: D
I don’t need much more from a portable device.

Actually, the difference between devices with hd graphics 4000 is only in the energy consumption policy. Somewhere the GPU accelerates only to 650 MHz, somewhere up to 750 MHz, sometimes there are reviews about overclocking to 900.
So, 6.4 in Taichi’s performance index just says that the energy consumption policy in it allows this GPU to be well overclocked, which is definitely good. I am satisfied with the gaming performance that is on Ativa, and since it is a little higher on Taichi, the better (:

Chevy @ 04/19/2013, 06:35*
P.S By temperature: yesterday and today, when working with office and Internet applications, the temperature in the open state is around 64-66, in the closed one - 71-73

It is strange, of course, that without load it is so hot. And with the means of the device management utility (the one that is responsible for switching displays as well), is the cooler speed and the device cooling policy regulated?
Say, Ativ in a similar utility has two modes - maximum performance and "silent". Perhaps you have activated similar to it?

Post has been editedMortare - 19.04.13, 05:54

Mortare @ 04/19/2013, 06:51*
And with the means of the device management utility (the one that is responsible for switching displays as well), is the cooler speed and the device cooling policy regulated?

There's no such thing. All only regular means of Win 8: sveta: Okay. While the temperature is in more or less normal limits - I will not strain: rolleyes:

Post has been editedChevy - 19.04.13, 08:54

In general, I contacted the support of the asus and received an unpleasant info on the stylus.
Stylus support for wakom technology has only taichi in the top configuration.
Date of entry into the Russian market is not known.

Okaton @ 04/21/2013, 15:57*
only taichi in the top configuration.

Top - the one on the core i7?

um ... I don’t know ... I’m not sure of anything now (((
if: a stylus is optional, it says that if it is not included in the kit, then you're out of luck, then xs ...
I do not know what asus means by the word top / top grade ...

In theory, the Sony Vaio Duo stylus should come up - Taichi's proprietary stylus and Sonya's stylus are absolutely identical in design. In contrast, by the way, he is a stylus of a Galaxy Note - it somehow does not work on batteries, and he only has one key. If Sony’s stylus doesn’t work, then it can almost certainly be said that the modification without the stylus is not equipped with a Wakomov’s substrate. And this, in my opinion, is unlikely, because it is hardly profitable to establish production of 2 different modifications from the point of view of the assembly process. So, the stylus from Sony is likely to work.

If there is free time - could you go to one of the stores (I list below), where is this stylus available and check if it suits? With this, you would greatly help those who are thinking about buying, and you yourself, I think, too (:

List of stores where Sony stylus is available

So I think nonsense, but xs ...
he doesn’t have a driver, only hardcore, in the sense of parsing the display, I can’t go for it)))
The pen from the Samsung laptop is induction, according to the latest fashion, without a battery, in theory it should be determined (wack substrate - antenna) why the power was needed is not clear, maybe I lagged behind life.
I’ll try to order a courier with a pen, we’ll see, maybe you shouldn’t despair ...

Here's what we found about the characteristics of the Stills Nout:
An oscillatory circuit is built into the pen, the frequency of which depends on the state of the S1 button (the resonance frequency changes stepwise) and on the pressure force on the pen (the resonance frequency also changes, but smoothly and slightly). A simple calculation shows [4] that when the button is released, the resonance frequency is approximately 678.5 kHz (L = 18 ОјH, C = 3057 pF), and when the button is pressed, approximately 641.5 kHz (L = 18 ОјH, C = 3418 pF). The phone itself probably has a generator whose frequency is close to the resonance frequency of the circuit in the pen, and there is also an electromagnetic field receiver near the screen. The intensity of the electromagnetic field determines the force pressing the pen, and the fact that the button is closed.

Taken fromhttp://microsin.net/adminstuff/hardware/s-...ote-inside.html
So, perhaps, with a similar principle of operation, the Taichi substrate is tuned to a different resonance frequency than the Nouta substrate?
Okaton @ 04/22/2013 00:00*
has no driver

By the way, not quite like that. My Ativ in the list of drivers available for download has one that is responsible for the digitizer:
Attached Image

What exactly is he changing - I can’t say, but after installing it, the stylus is recognized by the system worse (with some strong deviation of its projection on the screen before touching) than if the driver was not installed.
Those. the driver is, it is just preinstalled in the OS itself.

Post has been editedkomok1965 - 22.04.13, 10:17
Reason for editing: combined.

let's say this is my first experience with a wack on Windows, there’s nothing to compare with, but I didn’t find a digital signature for the wack, from which I concluded that either there is no driver or I don’t have a wack
and I have no drivers detected but not installed
something like this

I came across an Internet photo of the chipset in a wack, ghm, for a good driver it should be ...

but you temporarily reassure me if you say that to the ative (I correctly understood that there is also a wak?) the pen from the laptop does not fit)

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 09/16/19, 02:33