Ubuntu Touch - discussion | No emulators

Rep: (11)
Ubuntu Touch is available for the Nexus line of devices, and unofficially for many devices supported by the CyanogenMod community. See the profile topics for details.

System requirements:
Attached Image

Video
Screenshots
Attached Image

Attached Image

FAQ

Post has been editedBlackfish - 21.10.13, 13:50
Reason for editing: faq

Rep: (93)
one more axis. cool, but no more. I would only ask to watch. why another axis? those who want to open sorsa choose an android, those who want to be "under the wing" choose licked ayos. in the same way, for the sake of fun, I once bought a phone on vp7. I thought that I would get used to it, I rubbed everything as it was cool, I really looked at some things in a new way, but still did not stick, I returned to the android.
Although with the release of Android 4.2, I have more and more complaints about Android, in a flash everything became somehow uncomfortable, difficult to access. rolled back to 4.1

Rep: (65)
doncezilindra,
it means you are interested in the second in choosing "functionality" and "simplicity"

Strange, then WP is for you, everything is just there

Rep: (93)
3Jlou_OguHo4ka , 4.2 has the same functionality as before, but everything has become difficult to access. Why should I do a couple of extra tapes to turn off Wi-Fi if earlier I could do this from the notification panel, without going to a separate tab. Why should I now 10 times tap on the build number to open the settings for developers? seemingly nothing serious, but why complicate things if everything was simple.
I am for simple functionality, without unnecessary movements. and in general, simplicity and functionality are completely different criteria that have little overlap with each other. It can also be a rich functionality at the same time and simple.
What is simple? There are less stupid functions. And to turn off the same Wi-Fi, you need even more gestures. then it turns out there is no simplicity.
As I understood simplicity for you = accessibility, if something else, then most likely we misunderstood each other, as I was talking about the inaccessibility of functions, and not about the complexity of the system for me.

Post has been editeddoncezilindra - 09.01.13, 17:03

Rep: (12)
I wonder how soon after the release of the first beta this OS is ported to HD2? : D

Scube
HD2 jokes will last forever

doncezilindra,
About Wai Fay - there is also a convenient widget for the desktop (in cyan at least). And now I can open two “tabs” at the top - on the right side of the notification, and on the left a quick menu.

And yet - thanks for the "10x tap" - I just could not find where these 4.2 settings are: D

Rep: (5)
queyron @ 01/08/2013, 12:29*
ubuntu port for telechips, Boxchip, AM-logic, and a bunch of Chinese processors ..

I think that the Chinese like Huveev and ZTE have already received them. I am sure that the first tubes will go from them.
: sveta:
I will buy something with the desktop environment.

By the way, I really liked the fact that you can only use the screen.
that is, the onscreen buttons are nonsense. IMHO. but gestures are uh !! : D

aptemhocob
more convenient when you can hide them in a hurry, the buttons are the most

Rep: (16)
Yes, gestures are a class ... I am not an apple, but on the aipeda I liked Pes gestures. I hope it will also be implemented in the new Ubuntu mobile. And I also really want to connect to the monitor via MHL and you can work like a full-fledged computer. And then my old computer for a long time I want to send to hell.

Rep: (38)
Everyone is used to that Ubuntu is based on Linux.
But no one knows, maybe Ubuntu Phone will be a custom OS, without a kernel

Rep: (137)
MicroHaX
where does this information come from? I doubt that the guys do it from scratch. Although not even the case, I do not believe it at all. Too many resources will require the development of such an OSes. But gash based on Linux, especially given their experience in this area - much easier. Pruflink will be?

Rep: (0)
very interesting news .. in fact, for a long time thought "what if"))) and now it materialized!))

Rep: (1040)
Microhax
On the basis of the line 100% + in the 3.7 core they gash a serious support arm
In general, on ces they said that ubunt is not yet finalized and needs to be improved, so that the samples do not give (

Post has been edited$ aNek011 - 14.01.13, 01:45

MicroHaX @ 13.1.2013, 20:32*
Everyone is used to that Ubuntu is based on Linux.
But no one knows, maybe Ubuntu Phone will be a custom OS, without a kernel

Why reinvent the wheel and write a phone version of Linux not on the Linux kernel? :)

Rep: (19)
About "need or not another mobile OS": needed. Another question is the target audience. It is unlikely that an ordinary user will be able to put it on his device. But those who lack a normal console and standard Linux are potential customers. In addition, the analogy with MeeGo (sorry abandoned) is seen: the same idea to use Qt in a bunch of C ++. If Canonical brings its idea to mind - it can also "burn out": some of the software is ported with MeeGo (I think it will not be too much trouble), some with WP7 / 8 - the benefit of non-native applications can be written in HTML, the rest is up to the community.

I'm more worried about something else: the use of drivers and the Android kernel is stated. Does bionic shuffle in Ubuntu Phone in this case? Hope they use glibC. In this case, to port programs from the desktop, Ubuntu will need only a new Qt GUI for the phone and a bit of a file (assuming there is no serious hardware dependency).

Post has been editeddim319 - 15.01.13, 20:17

Rep: (80)
When will lay out? Sooooo waiting for this thing IMHO

When will lay out?

At the end of February.

P.S.
It would be nice to add to the header:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuPhone

Translation of questions and answers, the original of which is by reference in the previous post. My notes are in italics:
Ubuntu Phone FAQ
  • When can I buy a smartphone with UbuntuPhone OS?
    Not now. Maybe in 2014.
  • Will the source be available?
    Yes, on launchpad. Same as with the desktop version of Ubuntu.
  • Can I watch live?
    Yes, on CES'13 and MWC'13.
  • What device is demonstrated?
    It uses the Galaxy Nexus (not the Nexus 4) as a development platform. But the future smartphones of 2014, which have not yet come out, are assumed to be the end devices.
  • Is there an image to install?
    No, not yet. The image for the Galaxy Nexus will be at the end of February. With images for other phones have not yet decided.
  • What version of Ubuntu does the SDK support?
    At the moment there are packages only under 12.10 (Quantal).
  • What applications are available in UbuntuPhone?
    Dzvonilka (works, and not just a layout) and other programs that could be seen at the demonstration(in commercials and on CES). The rest of the applications will be in QML or HTML as a GUI.
  • Will it be possible to run desktop applications, say LibreOffice?
    When connected to the docking station - yes, you can use full desktop applications. Normally, a QML GUI is required, which can be part of the application.
    (i.e., an application can have a pair of user interfaces: mobile and desktop, and the implementation is one)
  • How much will the device cost on UbuntuPhone?
    Unknown. In principle, depends on the used components. There are prerequisites that this OS will be aimed at high-end devices, although from other words it turns out that it is aimed at low-end devices. About the middle class, almost nothing was said.
  • Is Ubuntu Phone OS the same as Ubuntu For Android?
    Not. Ubuntu For Android is another technology based on Android, which runs Ubuntu with root rights, with integration between Ubuntu and Android itself. Ubuntu Phone OS does not work within the framework of Android(i.e. it works as a separate OS), although it uses the same kernel and drivers as Android, since both operating systems are based on the Linux platform.
  • Is Linaro used?
    It does not seem like Linaro is used in the project. Although some parts of Linaro, in particular the compiler, were used. On the demo device is the core AOSP (Android Open Source Project).
  • Is there an emulator?
    The assembled emulator exists, but when it becomes available is unknown. In principle, you can simply run the application in the desktop version of Ubuntu.
    (This refers to x86 recompilation)
  • Will it be possible to modify the core, in contrast to Android?
    So far it is unclear. Despite the fact that Ubuntu is an open system and in support of this philosophy, Canonical supports the idea of ​​modification, manufacturers have the right to block the system in the same way as it was done on Android. This approach is a consequence of the fact that limited access to the core implies the simplicity of support from hardware manufacturers. The blocking mechanism will not be part of Ubuntu Phone OS, but manufacturers cannot be forced to keep the system open.
  • Is a package system with Debian used?
    Yes
  • Graphic mode support - X or Wayland or something else?
    It is not clear.
    (Most likely "X", but not a fact.)

Post has been editeddim319 - 16.01.13, 01:03

dim319,
Soon they are porting to a nexus, and there they just have to wait for the craftsmen ...

Rep: (11)
P.S. It would be nice to add to the header:

Added, thanks!

Rep: (80)
As a cut, I will try to put it on my lg p970, all the same the nexus on ti omap is made

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 08/01/19 22:11