Google Nexus 7 Wi-Fi - Ubuntu Firmware | Ubuntu port on google nexus 7
Like Ubuntu?
Ubuntu is not yet fully finished and more for developers than users. But still ... Do you like Ubuntu?
Yes [ 771 ] ** [80,4%]
Not [ 188 ] ** [19,6%]
Unity
Severely inhibits [ 282 ] ** [29,41%]
Convenient [ 349 ] ** [36,39%]
Inconvenient [ 238 ] ** [24,82%]
Often hangs [ 198 ] ** [20,65%]
Rarely freezes [ 200 ] ** [20,86%]
Stabilized Bluetooth stack according to the instructions?
Yes, it works fine [ 310 ] ** [32,33%]
Yes, it does not work well [ 166 ] ** [17,31%]
No, not engaged [ 481 ] ** [50,16%]
Keyboard Onboard
Comfortable [ 280 ] ** [29,2%]
Average [ 532 ] ** [55,47%]
Inconvenient [ 145 ] ** [15,12%]
Whether the tweaks described by BloodyFoxy help
Very much [ 162 ] ** [16,89%]
Good help [ 217 ] ** [22,63%]
Moderately, I would like more [ 307 ] ** [32,01%]
Little, need to come up with more [ 109 ] ** [11,37%]
Not [ 162 ] ** [16,89%]
What input tools do you use?
Touchscreen [ 812 ] ** [84,67%]
Wired keyboard [ 123 ] ** [12,83%]
Wired mouse [ 138 ] ** [14,39%]
Wireless keyboard [ 98 ] ** [10,22%]
Wireless mouse [ 124 ] ** [12,93%]
Bluetooth keyboard [ 83 ] ** [8,65%]
Bluetooth mouse [ 87 ] ** [9,07%]
Total votes: 959

Rep: (87)
Google Nexus 7 Wi-Fi - Ubuntu Firmware
PictureASUS Eee Pad MeMO ME370T, grouper, nakasi
Description | Discussion пїЅ | FAQ | Purchase пїЅ | Accessories пїЅ | Marriage пїЅ | Firmware пїЅ | Ubuntu firmware пїЅ | Ubuntu Touch Firmware пїЅ | Games and programs пїЅ | Google Nexus 10 talk пїЅ | GOOGLE NEXUS Club пїЅ

Do everything at your own peril and riskas usual
For the lazy drivers and utilities under the spoiler, the ADB and fastboot for Linux and Windows are, they work without installing Java.
Drivers and Utilities
Windows drivers
Android SDK & AVD
Oracle Java 6
ADB and fastboot for Linux (x86, x86_64)Attached fileadb-fastboot.tar.gz(610 KB)

32-bit libraries for 64-bit Ubuntu Linux machines:
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

ADB and fastboot for Windows (x86, x86_64)Attached fileADB-fastboot-windows.zip(534.47 KB)

ADB and fastboot for Mac OS XAttached filemac-adb-fastboot.zip(107.46 KB)

Instructions (installation, etc.)
Useful Instructions

Installation
Installation only by the tablet
Originally had Nexus 7 Wi-Fi 16 Gb stock 4.2.2 rooted. (It was also CWM, but due to the peculiarities MultiBOOT replaced it with TWRP, the initial presence / absence of custom recovery is unimportant to follow the instructions)
Steps to follow:
1. Download and installGomanager.
2. From GooManager downloaded and installed TWRP Recovery.
3. Download and install[XDA] Flash Image GUI app.
4. Download modified recoveryTWRP for multiboot
5. From the Flash Image GUI I downloaded the downloaded TWRP for multiboot.
6. DownloadMultiROM v10 n7 signed.
7. With the help of GooManager, I rebooted into TWRP, flashed the MultiROM, rebooted into the system.
8. I downloaded the modified kernel for android -kernel 4.2.2and the veryUbuntu 13.04.
9. Rebooted to TWRP, I requested the kernel.
10. Moved to TWRP in Advanced ->MultiROM ->Add ROM. I chose Ubuntu Desktop and set the path to raring-preinstalled-desktop-armhf + nexus7.img.gz
11. 20 minutes of waiting, a message about the successful installation of ROM, rebooted the tablet. I got into the MultiBOOT menu, chose raring-preinstalled-desktop-armhf + nexus7, and got the installer ubunt. Then everything is obvious.
Materials that came to this sequence of actions:
[mod] [16 APR] MultiROM v10 (updated to TWRP 2.5)
[APP] Flash Image GUI - Flash Kernels and Recoveries from normal Android mode!
Original post -Google Nexus 7 Wi-Fi - Ubuntu Firmware (Post # 21442806)
All thanks there

If you have Ubuntu
Original on the Ubuntu wiki
Requirements
  1. Nexus 7
  2. USB - USBmini cable (included, for example)
  3. Ubuntu 12.04 and older
  4. USB-OTG cable, mouse and keyboard (optional)

First, download the Ubuntu Nexus 7 Desktop Installer
sudo add-apt-repository ppa: ubuntu-nexus7 / ubuntu-nexus7-installer
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-nexus7-installer

Now we will deal with the device. You will need the fastboot utility included in the Android SDK. SDK installation instructions can be found here:[GUIDE] Backup and restore partitions, firmware recovery, ADB under Linux

Let's enter the device in fastboot mode. Hold the buttons offturning onandvolume downat the same time.
Check if the computer sees the device.
sudo fastboot devices
1234567891234567 fastboot

Open the bootloader
sudo fastboot oem unlock

Look at the screen and select "YES", but remember - your data will be deleted, therefore save them all (most important in your memory I think, yes?)
Reboot bootloader
sudo fastboot reboot-bootloader

Now run the Ubuntu Nexus 7 Installer that you installed at the very beginning and follow the instructions.

Install via fastboot with your hands
Download kernel and system images for your model.from here(rootfs.img and boot.img)
Configure the fastboot utility in my guide:[GUIDE] Backup and restore partitions, firmware recovery, ADB under Linux
For windows: downloaddrivers, Java and Android SDK (links in the guide).
For Linux: just do everything according to the guide.

Now we will enter the device in fastboot mode. Hold the buttons offturning onandvolume downat the same time.
Check if the computer sees the device.
sudo fastboot devices
1234567891234567 fastboot

Open the bootloader
sudo fastboot oem unlock

Look at the screen and select "YES", but remember - your data will be deleted, therefore save them all (most important in your memory I think, yes?)
Reboot bootloader
sudo fastboot reboot-bootloader

Clean out all unnecessary:
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata

Let's flash the kernel and system image
sudo fastboot flash boot boot.img
sudo fastboot flash userdata rootfs.img

Multi-boot with MultiROM
Download MultiROM and Modified Recoveryfrom here, just download the rootfs.img imagefrom here.
Configure the fastboot utility in my guide:[GUIDE] Backup and restore partitions, firmware recovery, ADB under Linux
For windows: downloaddrivers, Java and Android SDK (links in the guide).
For Linux: just do everything according to the guide.

We will modify the modified recovery
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

and download the downloaded zip through it.
Let's go to the recovery section MultiROM ->Add ROM, choose that we want to install Ubuntu and specify it rootfs.img

Repair stock flashing
In some detail I told about this in my other topic, because here’s a link for you:[GUIDE] Backup and restore partitions, firmware recovery, ADB under Linux (Post # 13779658)
Just follow the instructions.

Help
Device use
Translation and Rethinking of the original
Guestbooks and multitouch
Despite the fact that Unity supports quite a lot of guest rooms, only the main ones work (and sometimes they work quite well in GNOME). Their list, who are interested,here
Working guest rooms:
Tap with one finger:Select item
Move one finger:Move item
Double tap:Choose a whole word or item
Triple Tap:Select a paragraph or related items.
Tap with three fingers:Resize window
Tap with four fingers:Open Dash

Emergency reboot
Hold the power button for 20 seconds

Sudo password
ubuntu

Updates
Currently, the -update and -security packages are not allowed for the device (it uses its PPA), as this can break the system or make it unusable.
The reason - patches on packages made specifically for Nexus 7.
Accordingly, it is better not to allow these packages.

Keyboard Onboard
It happens that the keyboard does not appear when a window with a text field is selected. It can be turned on manually by clicking on the button.Attached Imagein the panel at the top and selecting Show Onboard.
Also in the settings, you can allow the floating icon.Onboard Preferences >Generalput a tick onShow floating icon when Onboard is hidden

Right click
Unfortunately, right click can only be done with Onboard.
Attached Image

Attached Image

Fade over font size
Open the system settings (System Settings), take the tabUniversal acessand select on the tabSeeingparameterText sizeonLarger

Increase icons in Unity
OpenSystem Settings ->vkaldkaAppearances ->tabLookand move the sliderLauncher Icon Size(maximum 64).

Keyboard and mouse connection
Ubuntu supports OTG-connected peripheral devices. Using a USB hub, you can connect a wired keyboard and mouse at the same time. You can also connect wireless devices with a USB-radio module. An alternative method is Bluetooth (BT-keyboards and mice are more expensive than their wireless counterparts).
For BT-devices have their own characteristics. To connect them will have to take a couple of steps.
sudo apt-get install bluez-compat

Introduce the mouse / keyboard into pairing mode and execute
hcitool scan

We get something like
Scanning ...
20: 42: A1: 00: 66: 78 bluetooth keyboard

The first is BT-MAC, the second is the name. Connect via BT-MAC
sudo hidd --connect 20: 42: A1: 00: 66: 78

! x!When USB devices are connected via OTG cable, charging is not possible. A docking station that should be out soon will solve this problem.
I use a powered USB hub and plug in a silicone keyboard, laptop mouse. Even without power, it works quietly, but there is more energy. Often I go somewhere else, people in cafes are shocked by me.

VNC Management
You can manage your desktop by VNC. To do this, you can simply find it in Dash (Unity) or in the Internet menu (GNOME)Desktop sharingand set the desired settings. Connect through any VNC client. To find out the IP of the tablet, run on it in the terminal
ifconfig wlan0

On Ubuntu, I advise you not to use a standard VNC client, better put Remmina.

Btluetooth Stabilization Stack
Because of the broken BT-stack, the bluetoothd daemon crashing is responsible for managing devices.
The fix has not yet been found, but you can fix the stack through the debgging utility Valgrind.
sudo apt-get install valgrind

Now edit the file /etc/init/bluetooth.conf
sudo gedit /etc/init/bluetooth.conf

Replace string
exec / usr / sbin / bluetoothd

on
exec / usr / bin / valgrind / usr / sbin / bluetoothd / dev / null 2> & 1

and restart BT
sudo restart bluetooth

If it hangs, reboot.

Tweaks and acceleration
Terminal autocompletion
By default, for some reason, the package is not installedbash-completionwhich makes me shocked by Canonical. This means that we will have on the Tab key only the first word from the chain of commands, or just what we have in the folder. It does not suit me, so it is very boring to put packages through apt-get.
sudo apt-get install bash-completion

Put a lightweight desktop environment
I don’t have to think long - from the most accessible in the repositories and really lightweight I singled out the GNOME Classic.
sudo apt-get install gnome-panel

After installation, perform Log Out and in the login menu next to the username in the frame you will see the clickable icon of the Unity logo. Click it and select GNOME Classic (No Effects)

Add swap
Having tested the read / write speed of the flash drive in the Nexus 7, I realized that it should be very beneficial to use, since the swap on an external device is a perversion.
First, create an empty file of the desired size via dd in a convenient place, namely / swap /
cd /
sudo mkdir swap
sudo dd if = / dev / zero of = / swap / swap.img bs = 1M count = 500

bs = 1M1000 x 1000 blocks
count = 500500 x 1M ~ 500MB
That is, we have created an empty 500MB file that will become our swap.
sudo mkswap /swap/swap.img

Check the performance by connecting it
swapon /swap/swap.img
swapon -s

Listed on the list? So it should be written in/ etc / fstabfor autostart on buta.
sudo gedit / etc / fstab

Pin down
/swap/swap.img swap swap defaults 0 0

Now we will set the parameters for using swap
sudo gedit /etc/sysctl.conf

We attach at the end of the file
swappiness = 50
vfs_cache_pressure = 10

swappiness = 50 means that at 100-50 = 50% of the occupied RAM, we will start using swap.
vfs_cache_pressure = 10 means that under the cache we will select this value. Usually, changing this parameter does not give a special win, except in reading / writing. By default, it is 1000 in Ubuntu, but with my tests I derived the most appropriate value for our weak pseudo netbook.
You can play around with the swappiness parameter, but it seems to me that I set quite a reasonable value. Well, maybe 40-45 more values ​​should be nothing.

preload
preload allows you to run programs faster by storing some information about the libraries in RAM. This amount is very small and is calculated from the total volume, so put it boldly.
sudo apt-get install preload

zram
Slightly improve performance by utilizing the power of the zram processor. It will unload small parts of what lies in tmpfs to speed up the RAM, since the compressed data in it has a fast read and write speed.
A virtual swap will be created for each processor thread and will be denoted by / dev / zramX
sudo apt-get install zram-config

After that, you will be surprised at the incorrect display of the paging in the System Monitor. Want an explanation?
swapon -s

Here they are.

Redrawing the Onboard Keyboard
Redraw the Onboard for the GNOME Classic.
Turn it off first
killall onboard

Now draw
onboard --size 1280x270 -x 0 -y 530

We will press the combiningctrl + c.
Now you can run it as a regular application through the GUI and enjoy saving the settings when the system restarts.
If you want the keyboard to not hide the panel below, but use the parameter-y 505

Removing extra services
I do not think that you will print from the tablet. If you want to - use Google Cloud Print, do not bother with a USB connection. Because we will remove CUPS! Well, avahi ...
sudo apt-get remove cups avahi

Screenshots
Attached Image

My screenshots (added swap in internal memory and set up swappiness, etc., redrawn Onboard, set GNOME Classic)
Attached Image

Attached Image

In fact, the swap is only 500MB, there is just a zram and after it there’s such a garbage that I have a swap gig, not half.
Attached Image

Known bugs
No sound
Unscrew the sound in the system to the full, click on the power icon in the upper right corner, selectSuspend. After suspension sound will appear.
The suspend button, available via the hard button on the tablet, does not take the tablet to suspend

Changelog.txt
2/12/12 - create a theme
2/12/12 - 5/12/12- translation of documents from the Canonical website
5/12/12- tweaks and acceleration
7/12/12- added files purely for ADB + fastboot for Linux and Windows

Plans

1. Add translation of documents from the Canonical website
  2. Write about optimization and acceleration

3. Write a script for automatic optimization and acceleration

Ubuntu-based distributions

Post has been editedBloodyfoxy - 16.08.13, 20:49
Reason for editing: Link to the Ubuntu Touch firmware theme

Rep: (7)
As I understand it: tap with three fingers (Bring-up Unity grab handles) on the window enables resizing mode. There is a video on YouTube, it shows.
P.S. Thank you for taking up this topic, it will be very interesting to follow and help. =)

Rep: (8)
Well, that started this topic. Signed :)

Tap with three fingers turns on the window control mode, oriented under the finger control.

Post has been editedSlinehaf - 03.12.12, 19:37

7gigabytes @ 12/03/2012, 20:33*
As I understand it: tap with three fingers (Bring-up Unity grab handles) on the window enables resizing mode. There is a video on YouTube, it shows.
P.S. Thank you for taking up this topic, it will be very interesting to follow and help. =)

Thank you =)
I have so far begun the topic, but have not yet written the most interesting thing - work optimization, because with Unity and without swapping it works with a brake ... But after all swapping is not all. In general, watch (andSlinehaf too) you will like it.

BloodyFoxy, I understand that you are not following this project for the first day? Let me ask in this case. How can Canonical relate to this? Do they really have serious intentions to have a full Ubuntu on our tablet? Or did they make some noise in the media, brought it to the minimum working capacity and stopped there?

Slinehaf @ 12/03/2012, 10:50 PM*
Do they really have serious intentions to have a full Ubuntu on our tablet?

Here is
At the Ubuntu Developer Summit conference on November 7, Canonical founder Mark Shuttleworth will announce plans to port Ubuntu to smartphones, tablets and TVs. More precisely, to release a universal version of the OS, which is suitable for desktops and mobile devices on ARM-processors (like Windows 8).

Canonical has been in negotiations with the hardware manufacturers for a year and a half, and now Shuttleworth will apparently announce the results of these negotiations.

For the next few months, the main goal of Canonical is to improve support for corporate users. In April, Ubuntu 12.04 version should be released with an extended period of support for corporate users. After that, Canonical will fully concentrate on developing a mobile version of Ubuntu.

Most likely, a new Unity shell will play a key role in the new system on small screens. The Qt (Unity 2D) user interface is best suited for implementing UI on mobile devices.
The universal version of Ubuntu (for desktops and mobile devices) will not appear soon. Shuttleworth believes that this may be Ubuntu 14.04, which is scheduled for release in April 2014.

If you look like this, then they have already started porting a gradual, the same Unity, well, it is not convenient for mouse and keyboard use, IMHO.

Post has been edited7gigabytes - 03.12.12, 20:03

Slinehaf,
Yes, I follow the news.
Porting Ubuntu to Nexus 7 is just the first step to porting Ubuntu to mobile devices. And this is the porting of the full version, designed for stationary computers, i.e. testing.
Actually, Canonical openly declare ... Ubuntu for Android. So far all the features are not clear, but the link is:http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android
As I understand it, there will be a special interface designed for tablets and phones, application ports from your repository and probably the ability to use the rest. It is very likely that the system will be open right away and we can safely host the web server on ourselves, compile applications (on ARM it is so fun to do) and so on.
In general, we pray that Canonical will make the first release by the year 2014-2015. I feel they will do it on their own special device. Well done boys!

+ wrote by user7gigabytes post above.

I understand that the kernel that we put on the Nexus according to this instruction has already been reassembled for our little animal?

7gigabytes @ 12/03/2012, 21:10*
I understand that the kernel that we put on the Nexus according to this instruction has already been reassembled for our little animal?

Right. If you install via MultiROM, then you need to change the kernel in the / sdcard / multirom folder. And since it uses the official kernel from Canonical, already optimized and with all the modules we need. And not without a fuse, of course)

By the way, interesting articles, you can take something from there to yourself.>clack<; >clack<: happy:
This is what concerns the optimization for the desktop.

Post has been edited7gigabytes - 03.12.12, 20:30

7gigabytes
GRUB - nafig, it is not here. And this and not only this article used. By the way, the first one gives bad advice with data = writeback. This, of course, makes the disk work faster, but disables logging. So if we do not keep track of the Nexus 7, then there may be problems. And the Nexus read / write speed is 40-50MB faster on average compared to a normal HDD of 7200s / sec, so I decided not to touch logging.

Do not tell me what could be the problem? I do not want to sew rootfs.img, the second time I try. Run from the admin. Screen with you.
Attached Image

Post has been edited7gigabytes - 03.12.12, 20:44

7gigabytes
my mistake. Now rewrite. You need to sew in userdata.
fastboot flash userdata rootfs.img

system must be cleaned.

Again I rolled up the second OS on the tablet, and after ten minutes I caught one problem. After a sequence of actions, left-click (single tap) stops working. That is, the opportunity to press something disappears, but to call Dash, select text, etc., remains possible. The reboot heals, and the mouse connected via OTG works normally even during this glitch.

Is there anyone else like that?

Slinehaf,
This is a Unity glitch. Put the GNOME Classic and login under it.
sudo apt-get install gnome-panel

Slinehaf,
Rebut and do what BloodyFoxy advised, it was the same.

BloodyFoxy,
7gigabytes
OK, right now, check.
UPD. Yes, apparently the problem is in the unit. Plus, this dwarf behaves faster on a tablet.

Post has been editedSlinehaf - 03.12.12, 22:50

Rep: (3)
How did I understand ubuntu because you can put 2 axes in addition to Andrew?

Zver_evgen,
How did I understand ubuntu because you can put 2 axes in addition to Andrew?

Yeah, with MultiROM'a. As far as I know, you can even put more than two systems. : rolleyes:
Today I will install MultiROM with the second system after the runoff 4.1.2.

I will explain a little installation using MultiROM. It is best to drop rootfs.img and multirom_v2_n7-signed.zip to the root of the memory card immediately, so that you do not sweat and do it all at once. After that, we enter the device into fastboot, we download the modified recovery file into the folder with fastboot.exe (I have c: \ android \ tools), for simplicity, rename it to “recovery.zip”, open cmd and command:
cd c: \ Android \ tools
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot flash recovery recovery.zip

After that, we boot into the recovery, then install multirom_v2_n7-signed.zip from the memory card, just in case reboot the recovery, then go to the section Advanced ->MultiROM ->Add ROM, select Ubuntu at the top, search for our bootfs.img and click on it, then swipe and ... voila! Now when downloading, there will be a choice between Android and Ubuntu.
P.S. I hope that I described everything correctly, in a hurry. I would be glad if someone helped.

Rep: (0)
Dear forum users, is it possible to put ubuntu on an external railway? (and then 8 GB and for that and for that I am afraid, not enough)

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 07/26/19, 20:10