grandfather
[offline]

Group: Honorary Gameday
Messages 7966
Check in: 22.04.06
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T715

Lithium Batteries - Operating Rules
Batteries - Repair / Operation / DIY

Rules of operation of lithium batteries | How to extend the life cycle of lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries
battery usage information

���������� download

Post has been editedShoore - 20.08.15, 14:07
slimest
Message#2
22.03.07, 21:56
grandfather
[offline]

Messages 7966

Owners of various devices sometimes have certain difficulties in finding information about the proper operation of batteries. This brief FAQ is dedicated to this question.
All modern phones, smartphones and PDAs are equipped with lithium-based batteries - lithium-ion or lithium-polymer, so in the future we will talk about them. These batteries have a remarkable capacity and service life, but require very strict adherence to certain rules of operation. These rules can be dividedinto two groups:
1. User Independent
2. Dependent on user.

In the first groupincludes the fundamental rules of charge and discharge of batteries, which are controlled by a device (controller) built into the battery, and sometimes also by an additional controller located outside the battery in the PDA itself. These rules are simple:
1- A battery should be in a state all its life in which its voltage does not exceed 4.2 volts and does not fall below 2.7 volts. These voltages are indicators of respectively the maximum (100%) and minimum (0%) charge.
2- The amount of energy given off by a battery when its charge changes from 100% to 0% is its capacity. Some manufacturers limit the maximum voltage to 4.1 volts, while the battery lives longer, but its capacity is reduced by about 10%. Also, sometimes the lower threshold rises to 3.0 volts with the same consequences.
2- The highest battery durability is achieved at approximately 45 percent charge, and with an increase or decrease in the degree of charge the battery life is reduced. That is why literate manufacturers sell batteries that are about half full. If the charge is within the limits provided by the battery controller (see above), the change in durability is not very significant, but still.
3- If, due to circumstances, the voltage on the battery exceeds the limits indicated above, even for a short time, its lifespan dramatically decreases. Such states are called overcharge and overdischarge and are very dangerous for the battery.
4- Battery controllers designed for different devices, if they (controllers) are manufactured with proper quality, never allow the battery voltage to become more than 4.2 volts during charging, but depending on the purpose of the battery, they can differently limit the minimum voltage at discharge. So, in a battery designed for, say, a screwdriver or motor model of a car, the minimum voltage is likely to be really minimal, and for a PDA or smartphone it is higher, because the minimum voltage of 2.7 volts may simply not be enough for the electronics device to work. That is why in complex devices such as phones, PDAs, etc. the operation of the controller’s built-in battery itself is complemented by the controller in the device itself.

In the second groupIncludes operating rules that we can influence with you, thereby significantly increasing or decreasing the battery life. These rules are as follows:
1- you need to try not to bring the battery to a minimum charge and even more so to the state when the machine turns off, but if it happened, charge the battery as soon as possible.
2- no need to fear frequent recharges, including partial recharges, when the full charge is not reached. Battery does not harm. At the same time, I am guided by common sense: if during normal use of a PDA I always put it on charge before going to bed, then in case of very intensive use (WiFi on all the time, listening to music, etc.), when the charge approaches the minimum, I don’t shun right At work, connect the PDA to any available USB. In the absence of a normal charger and using USB instead, it is important not to wait for a full discharge, because in this case the current from the USB port may not be enough to start the charging process.
3- contrary to the opinion of many users, recharging harms lithium batteries no less, but even more than a deep discharge. The controller of course controls the maximum charge level, but there is one subtlety. It is well known that battery capacity depends on temperature. So, for example, if we charged the battery at room temperature and got a charge of 100%, then when entering the cold and cooling down the machine, the charge level of the battery may drop to 80% or less. But maybe the opposite situation. A battery charged at room temperature up to 100%, being slightly heated, will become charged, say, up to 105%, and this is very, very unfavorable for him. Such situations are encountered when operating a typewriter that has been in a cradle for a long time. During operation, the temperature of the device and with it the battery rises, and the charge is already full ...
In this regard, the rule says: if you need to work in the cradle, first disconnect the machine from charging, work on it, and when it comes to the “combat” mode - connect the charging.
By the way, this rule also applies to owners of laptops and other gadgets.
Added by:in modern laptops, charging controllers work correctly: they monitor the temperature and mode of operation of the computer, while there is no need to perform certain actions when working from the outlet.
4- The ideal conditions for long-term storage of the battery is to be outside the device with a charge of about 50%. A working battery does not require you to take care of yourself for months (about six months).

And finally, some more information.
- Contrary to the prevailing opinion, lithium batteries, unlike nickel batteries, have almost no “memory effect”, so the so-called “training” of a new lithium battery makes little sense. For your own reassurance, it is enough one or two times to fully charge-discharge a new battery, mainly for calibrating an additional controller.
- Owners of devices know that you can charge the battery from the charger, and from USB. In this case, it is often puzzling that it is impossible to charge from USB. The fact is that according to the "law" the USB controller must give the peripheral devices connected to it a current of about 500 ma. However, there are situations when either the controller itself cannot provide such a current, or the device is connected to a USB controller, on which some periphery is already hanging, consuming some of the power. So there is not enough current to charge, especially if the battery is too low.
- Lithium-containing batteries do not like freezing. Always try to avoid using the machine on a hard frost - get carried away - the battery will have to be changed. Well, of course, if you got the machine out of the warm inside pocket of your jacket and took a couple of notes or calls, and then put the animal back - there will be no problems.
- Practice shows that lithium batteries (not only batteries) reduce their capacity with decreasing atmospheric pressure (in high mountains, in an airplane). Harm to batteries does not bring it, you just need to take into account this fact.
- It happens that after purchasing a high-capacity battery (say, 2200 mAh instead of the standard 1100 mAh), after a couple of days using a new battery, the machine begins to behave strangely: hangs, turns off, and the battery charges, it seems, but somehow strange .P. It is not excluded that your charger, which successfully runs on a "native" battery, is simply not able to provide sufficient high-capacity battery charging current. Output - the purchase of a charger with a large current given (say 2 amps instead of the previous 1 amp).

For those who speak English, I can recommend a great "educational program" for batteries, including the principles of operation of controllers, etc. -http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm

Post has been editedslimest - 18.09.15, 17:09
Reason for editing: Edit, +1 by dar7

--------------------
Regards, slimest
Tyson
Message#3
23.03.07, 08:05
Dolly ™
[offline]

Messages 592
Check in: 03.10.05
Sony Xperia Z2

From myself I will add - battery when flying on an airplane or climbing into the mountains is discharged faster.
So do not be alarmed- this is normal

--------------------
Though lingam call, just lick more often.
Reduser
Message#4
23.03.07, 08:32
Guru
[offline]

Group: Friendssavagemessiahzine.com
Messages 2573
Check in: 05.03.06
HTC Touch Diamond

And I'm on my own .... :)
1. Lithium metal hydride batteries do not exist. Probably confused. There are metal hydride (this is completely different) and lithium-polymer.
2. lithium Akum Pts. do not like frosts, just die in the cold. So wear your device in a warm place. : wink_kind:

--------------------
Htc diamond- Rom:ASerg.67L; Radio: 1.12.25.19
Job search in Murmansk
gabby
Message#5
24.03.07, 00:44
Zn (UO2) 3 (CH3COO) 8
[offline]

Group: Moderators
Messages 3554
Check in: 23.08.06
Xiaomi Mi Max Prime

I'll add a little about the phenomenon of self-discharge
The phenomenon of self-discharge is typical to a greater or lesser extent for all types of batteries and is the loss of their capacity by them after they have been fully charged. For a quantitative assessment of self-discharge, it is convenient to use the value of the capacity lost by them during a certain time, expressed as a percentage of the value obtained immediately after the charge. For a period of time, as a rule, the time interval is equal to one day and one month. For example, self-discharge up to 10% is considered permissible for serviceable NiCD batteries during the first 24 hours after the end of charge, for NiMH it is slightly more, and for Li-ION it is negligible and is estimated for a month. It should be noted that the self-discharge of batteries is maximum precisely in the first 24 hours after charging, and then significantly reduced.

NiCD batteries for a month can lose up to 20% of capacity, NiMH - up to 30%. Li-ION battery is discharged by 3-5% during the first 30 days, then the value of the self-discharge current drops to 1-3% per month. In addition, the electronic protection circuit built into the Li-ION battery can consume up to 3% per month.

A good acid battery discharges an average of 5% per month or 50% per year. Its deep discharge and subsequent charge increases the self-discharge current.

The self-discharge of batteries is mainly due to the release of oxygen at the positive electrode. This process is further enhanced at elevated temperatures.Thus, with an increase in the ambient temperature of 10 degrees relative to room temperature, the self-discharge may be doubled. To a certain extent, self-discharge depends on the quality of the materials used, the manufacturing process, the type and design of the battery. Capacity losses can be caused by damage to the separator when the formation of stuck crystals puncture it. The separator is called the thin plate separating the positive and negative electrodes. This is usually due to improper battery maintenance, lack of it, or the use of inappropriate or poor quality battery chargers. In a worn-out battery, the plates of the electrodes swell, sticking to each other, which leads to an increase in the self-discharge current, while the damaged separator cannot be restored by charge / discharge cycles.

Evaluation of the degree of self-discharge can be made using a battery analyzer according to the following algorithm:
the battery is fully charged and its capacity is measured;
the battery is recharged and "resting" for 24 hours, after which its capacity is measured again.

--------------------
“The correctly asked question is half the answer to it.”
Forum rules have a law!
Reduser
Message#6
24.03.07, 09:52
Guru
[offline]

Messages 2573
HTC Touch Diamond

And I'm from myself ...;)
Lithium Akum have such an unpleasant feature as a limited shelf life. Those. they begin to deteriorate gradually immediately after production, regardless of whether they work or simply lie. Therefore, there is no point in stocking up with spare lithium Akums for the future.
cyberdrunya
Message#7
24.03.07, 14:28
Local
[offline]

Messages 295
Check in: 20.11.06

And even when discharged with a current that is numerically equal to the capacity of the battery (i.e., the battery has a capacity of 1.1A / h is 1.1A) or close (more than 70% of the battery capacity), the capacity can drop up to two times (only during the discharge current). This explains why, with a very strong load, the battery of a small capacity discharges particularly quickly. Charts depending capacity of the load current can be found in the internet.
Gepard
Message#8
25.03.07, 15:43
Old resident
[offline]

Messages 708
Check in: 03.11.05
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X Snapdragon 4/64

It seemed to me that it is better not to store at 50, but at 40%.
slimest
Message#9
25.03.07, 22:27
grandfather
[offline]

Messages 7966

Gepard @ 03/25/07 4:43:25 PM
store better not at 50, and at 40%

Strictly speaking, yes. But the differences in battery life at 50% and 40% are so negligible that I allowed myself “liberty,” recommending half the charge. Half is best remembered :)

--------------------
Regards, slimest
gabby
Message#10
25.03.07, 22:36
Zn (UO2) 3 (CH3COO) 8
[offline]

Messages 3554
Xiaomi Mi Max Prime

Those. they begin to deteriorate gradually immediately after production

Moreover, it is noticed that for some reason the decrease in capacity occurs in jumps. How many times did I see that today I was still working weakly but I worked, and then after charging everything, I died. Apparently the controller itself chops off the bad (in his opinion) banks of the battery. And in fact, the banks are still half dead but undead.

I know for sure that when charging batteries in a laptop, the charge controller is programming for the next charge cycle.
And it so happens that some kind of bank did not normally respond when charging, and everything will not be charged the next time the bank is charged.
True, there are programs that recheck the banks and somehow restore them, returning it to the charge cycle.

--------------------
Forum rules have a law!
KulDima
Message#11
02.04.07, 15:48
User
[offline]

Messages 77
Check in: 12.05.06

And I would add here about it:
The first charge of a lithium battery is no different from the 5th or 50th. Therefore, it is not at all necessary to follow the instructions for a long, 8-hour charge before first using the battery. The charging controller will still disconnect the current when the battery reaches 100%.
Unlike nickel and lead, lithium-containing batteries do not require several cycles of full charge / discharge to achieve maximum capacity, since they immediately have one. However, the one-time cycle recommended by manufacturers is a full charge - a complete discharge before regular operation is necessary for calibrating the charge controller. After such a cycle, the controller correctly perceives the minimum and maximum battery charge, which allows optimal use of its capacity.

Until today, he tried to hold the battery a little longer during the first charge.

M
Please do not copy-paste in English, but translate.
Translated for you. Thanks for the helpful addition.

Post has been editedslimest - 02.04.07, 17:37

--------------------
Acer n311 (lived and will live!) - = - Acer F900 (stolen) - = - HTC Diamond 2 (dead) - = - HTC Desire S (inherited) - = - HTC 7 Mozart (drowned) - = - HTC One V (???)
Reduser
Message#12
09.04.07, 10:08
Guru
[offline]

Messages 2573
HTC Touch Diamond

IMHO in vain began to write questions in this thread.

--------------------
Htc diamond- Rom:ASerg.67L; Radio: 1.12.25.19
Job search in Murmansk
slimest
Message#13
09.04.07, 17:59
grandfather
[offline]

Messages 7966

Reduser, You are absolutely right :)Colleagues, questions are asked in the FAQ section. This thread is informational only.

M
Removed all not relevant to the topic.

gabby, thanks for the support of the branch;)

--------------------
Regards, slimest
leks2000
Message#14
31.05.07, 15:54
Local
[offline]

Messages 216
Check in: 02.09.06
Sony Xperia Z5 Premium Dual

I also heard that lithium batteries mona stored in the refrigerator. Is it true? And then on the laptop Akum I do not use to finally discharge it by 40% and in the refrigerator? last longer. o.O
slimest
Message#15
31.05.07, 16:42
grandfather
[offline]

Messages 7966

leks2000, of course you can store, but why? !! Suppose for safety for several years - well, probably (although it is doubtful), but I don’t see any more sense.

--------------------
Regards, slimest
gabby
Message#16
31.05.07, 16:42
Zn (UO2) 3 (CH3COO) 8
[offline]

Messages 3554
Xiaomi Mi Max Prime

leks2000 @ 05/31/07 3:54:28
I also heard that lithium batteries mona stored in the refrigerator. Is it true? And then on the laptop Akum I do not use to finally discharge it by 40% and in the refrigerator? last longer.

RAVE.
carefully read the instruction manual: rtfm:
In general, all electronics do not like low temperatures, especially batteries, especially lithium. Modern batteries will most likely endure cold, but why risk it ?!

You want so long enough. Charge, take out and put next.
The service life of lithium batteries 2-4 years, and the role played or she did not play the role.

--------------------
Forum rules have a law!
slimest
Message#17
31.05.07, 16:44
grandfather
[offline]

Messages 7966

The service life of lithium batteries 2-4 years, and the role played or she did not play the role.

Golden words, fully join with the addition: 2-4 years, subject to the above recommendations :)

--------------------
Regards, slimest
_SKV_
Message#18
31.05.07, 16:50
Novice
[offline]

Group: Active users
Messages 31
Check in: 12.02.07

Once I studied materials on the topic of batteries and in the process I got acquainted with the studies that were conducted by the US Navy in relation to lithium-ion and lithium-polymer batteries (submarines). So, as a result, it turned out that conducting cyclic charges \ discharges increases the battery life (without fanaticism, of course, a period of about 3 months was mentioned there), and there is no secret for anyone that these types of batteries also have a "memory" effect though not so pronounced.
From myself I can add that at that time I applied this method to the Siemens S45 battery, once every 3 months doing a full charge / charge, so this device still (3.5 years) continues to work with the native battery, though now it only lasts a day and a half . Perhaps this is just a good copy, but given that those who purchased the same phones with me threw out the batteries a year later, I tend to think that there is something in it.
Gepard
Message#19
03.06.07, 14:22
Old resident
[offline]

Messages 708
Check in: 03.11.05
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X Snapdragon 4/64

Check out what people are messing about:li-ion rehabilitation
Dmitry68
Message#20
07.07.07, 19:34
Old resident
[offline]

Messages 836
Check in: 09.11.05
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900

About the work in the cold and kill this battery. I'm not sure that this is so critical for modern batteries. Let me explain with an example (though not directly related to the PDA :)). I have a Canon EOS 350D camera. It uses a LiIon NB-2LH battery. So last winter, I shot in the frost -15-18 degrees for 2.5 - 3 hours. The camera was on the belly, always on (mb. The point is this, because the battery was under load all the time). Took more than 250 shots. After that, the room still made more than 100 frames. The battery has not fully discharged. Due to responsible shooting the next day I had to put it on recharging. After that, last summer I took more than 700 shots from a single charge on the smelt festival in St. Petersburg (including the capacity she did not lose). Until now, I use it and everything is OK.

I do not claim that it will work equally with all batteries, but the fact is, as they say, on the face.

PS: The fact that some batteries do not like the cold I know firsthand. In the old Nokia in the cold, the battery died.

--------------------
Samsung Galaxy S II (I9100G) ->Samsung Galaxy Note3 (N900), Ainol Novo 7 Aurora v3, ->Galaxy Note 8.0 (N5110) ->Xiaomi MiPad 4 + / 128, Canon EOS 50D (+ Optics)
gabby
Message#21
07.07.07, 21:33
Zn (UO2) 3 (CH3COO) 8
[offline]

Messages 3554
Xiaomi Mi Max Prime

Dmitry68 @ 07.07.07 19:34:06
I'm not sure that this is so critical for modern batteries.

Now they have learned to make Li-ion batteries that are not critical to low temperatures.
Here are the old dead as soon as the temperature went to zero. And I think modern Chinese (any leftist) will also be better.

--------------------
Forum rules have a law!

147 pagesV  1 2 3 4 5 6 > » 

mobile version    Now: 04/30/19, 17:01