Sound quality in modern communicators / phones | In this topic, we will discuss the sound quality.

Rep: (444)
Sound quality

Attached Image

About the topic
A lot of time has passed since the phones began to supplant the players, a couple of years ago smartphones were able to compete with entry-level players (Cowon, Sony, Iriver) the sound quality and output power left much to be desired for a long time, but now manufacturers finally felt the same vein in the world of audio, on which they are now making their way. Betting and emphasis on sound have become an integral part of every flagship device, full-fledged adult DACs, a powerful amplifier circuit, capacitors, high-fidelity are placed in musical smartphones clock generators, full isolation from interference and interference, and much more, modern flagship-class music smartphones have surely left players such as Cowon, Sony, iRiver behind and can compete with the initial Hi-Fi Fiio X3 / ibasso DX50 players on equal footing then surpass these devices.
In order for newcomers to know the decoding of abbreviations, I will explain the following:SOSH - Signal to Noise Ratio(the higher this parameter is, the better and better the DAC converts the sound, for example, the Wolfson WM8994 to SGS1 has 100DB of secondary and the WCD9310 to HTC One and 110DB of secondary)
Output power - Amplifier's ability to pull more demanding and full-sized headphones, the more powerful the amplifier, the more power reserve and better sound you will end up with + compatibility with a large number of headphones.

Archive of outdated models
So let's find out which headphones play better with which headphones.
I believe that the good sound quality of the following models:
Samsung- Galaxy S / Wave / Galaxy SIII / Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy R / Galaxy S4 / Galaxy Note 3
Of the Galaxy lineup, the Galaxy S1 i9000 is the most outstanding, and on board, by today's standards, is not the most advanced and very old Wolfson WM8994 DAC (4 Channel DAC, 100dB SOS), but still capable of producing good sound, tuned using Voodoo Sound.
HTC- One S / Sensation / Rezound / Radar / Mozart / Butterfly / One / Butterfly S
Of HTC, I would call the most outstanding HTC One S / Butterfly S / HTC One - all three have on board an excellent WCD9310 DAC (8 Channel DAC, 110Db SOS) + a couple of amplifiers from Texas Instruments (TPA6130A / OPA2064) and Maxx ( 9877), tuned using Project Era, or custom kernels, I want to mention HTC Butterfly S separately - for a smartphone it has simply phenomenal output power (and excellent sound) which, coupled with project era tuning, is capable of ensuring the normal operation of full-size headphones of almost any resistance.
LG- LG Optimus 2X / LG Optimus 3D, LG Optimus G / LG Nexus 4
The LG Optimus 2X also has a wolfson WM8994 onboard and is supported by the voodoo sound project.
Motorola- Droid Razr / Atrix 4G / Atrix 2 / Droid 3 / Moto X / Moto G
Sony- Xperia X / Xperia Play / Neo / Arc S / Live With Walkman / Xperia Neo / Xperia V / Xperia Z
Apple- Iphone 4 / 4S, Iphone 5 / 5S
By itself, the iphone is a pioneer in the mobile audio segment, along with nokia n91 at one time there were 2 best phones that are not inferior in sound to good players, use Cirrus Logic DACs that are not tuned.
BBK- Vivo X1, I want to give it special attention because this is the first smartphone in the world using a stationary DAC Cirrus Logic CS4398 + SRC The Klok CS8422 which, for example, stands in the top hifi player of Colorful Cololrfly C4 Pro at the price of $ 1000, the older brother BBK Vivo Xplay also came out with additional amplifier BurrBrown OPA2604.
BBK Vivo Xshot is also equipped with a CS4398 DAC and Maxim Maxx97220 amplifier (125mW output power) + a dedicated TI TLW320 ADC (it is needed for better sound recording during video recording, for better sound recording of a voice recorder)
Meizu- MX2, MX4 Core / Meizu MX3 - separately about it, this is probably the best budget option if you need a powerful combine with excellent technical characteristics and stunning sound, besides headphone output power is definitely one of the flagships in the world of smartphone sound, capable without problems Bleed full-size headphones, equipped with a Wolfson WM5102 DAC (108dB SSH).
Oppo- Clover R815 - Also a great option, with more modest characteristics than the MX3, but equipped with a good BurrBrown PCM5101A DAC (106dB Secondary School) and a dedicated SMT Electronics amplifier. - A full replacement for Cowon players and even more so for ipod for such a price.
TCL Idol X +- Smartphone with saber ES9018 DAC (130db SOSH) and Maxim 9720 amplifier (50mW direction Amp)

P.S - I use Fisher audio consonance and Audio technica ATH M50 headphones, and which ones? : rolleyes: It is advisable to write about the model of headphones used, and personal impressions of the sound quality, I think that among ordinary models there are decent ones in sound, I beg you to unsubscribe about impressions :) I also ask you to write which software to use for listening - different players are similar to PowerAMP / Winamp and which format you prefer, individual accessories are also welcome, for example, I sometimes use a portable amplifier Fiio E7 (Formerly E6), some people use LOD cables and other peripherals connected to Line Out.
Among the models of digital-analog converters in smartphones, there are such models as - Wolfson WM8994 (100dB SS), WM8994E (100dB SS), WM1811 (100dB SS), WM8903 (96dB SS), WM8958 (100dB SS), WM8960 (98dB SS), Wolfson WM5102 (108 dB for 44.1khz / 113dB for 48khz SOSH).
Texas Instruments AIC3254 (100dB Secondary School), AIC3008, TLW6040 (100dB Secondary School).
CS4322 (Mostly for Iphone, ipod.100-105dB SOSH)
CS4398 (120dB) + CS8442 SRC upsampler (Exotic in BBK Vivo X1)
Qualcomm WCD9310 (110dB for 44.1khz / 115dB for 48khz SOSH) + WCD9304 SRC Upsampler / Qualcomm WCD9320 (SOSH is higher than in WCD9310 but the numbers are not known.)

From tanks and amplifiers to smartphones, amplifiers from texas instruments of the TPA, TDA, analog devices, MAXX 9877 series (and others from this series) are most often placed because of their low power consumption and high power and signal-to-noise ratio.

Rules of communication
Rules section "Technotrepalka":
1.3 Tech Trap is not a place forflooding. We have, after all, a technical bias. For this there is a section "BreakerпїЅ.
1.4 Since the message counter in our section is enabled, philosophizing can be interpreted as cheating posts. And punished accordingly.
1.5 Frankly typing messages, in order to collect a certain number of posts, will entail punishment!
Section moderators

Why was my message deleted?
Friends, we all want our topic to be as informative as possible, and, at the same time, concise - there were no messages in it that had no practical value for the rest of the forum participants or newcomers.
Therefore:
1. Messages are not on the topic of discussion (technical characteristics and features of the operation of devices) - will be deleted.
2. Messages that do not carry any meaning, and consist of monosyllabic statements: “Good!”, “I'll try!”, “When?”, “Where?” - will be deleted.
3. Messages with words of gratitude will be deleted.

In order to express your gratitude, follow the Forum Rules:
5. Promotion System .
5.1. If a forum member gave you good advice that helped you solve your problem, do not post a message with the text “Thank you! You are super!!!". On our forum, it is customary to express gratitude by raising the reputation of a particular participant.
5.2. The reputation of other participants can be influenced by any user who has collected 15 useful posts. If you do not have 15 helpful posts, ask the moderator to raise the reputation of the person who helped you through the "Complaint" button.

The forum is a public place. Before addressing a particular person in a general topic, and not through a personal messaging system or QMS, think - will your message be interesting for other forum participants or will it just take up space?

Output power table
The output power parameter table (in volts, more is better, more powerful and more headroom, as well as the ability to pull more tight high-impedance headphones.
Attached Image

Additional Information
Table of smartphones with dedicated audio (Head Fi)
Attached Image

Reviews forums about headphones
Post with reviews of members of the forum about smartphones and players

About DAC player

Post has been editedKenny - 28.06.19, 23:39
Reason for editing: Review

zusicks438,
Honestly, I don’t even know such programs, in principle, I think it’s easier to download from torrents rip to flak :)

Rep: (730)
NITROUSPEED @ 03/26/2012, 15:37*
In principle, I think it's easier to download from torrents rip to flac download

It’s a long search. Yes, and download too. And the disks - here they are, next :)

Rep: (2338)
Zusicks438 @ 03/26/2012, 11:22*
why it’s so free to copy discs to FLAC
http://www.jetaudio.com/download/

zusicks438,
That's actually comrade kara puz took off :)

Rep: (730)
Heck, for a long time I have not robbed disks, this is also not so fast: bubble:

zusicks438,
Taki yes))

P.S - Has anyone tried a Neutron player? It is considered a professional player for android with a bunch of sound settings

Rep: (118)
NITROUSPEED @ 03/26/2012, 11:21 PM*
P.S - Has anyone tried a Neutron player? It is considered a professional player for android with a bunch of sound settings

Well I tried. It takes about 5 seconds, the interface is quiet horror, at first it was terribly buggy, the battery eats more than others, but not critical. By the sound - I probably don’t have such a subtle ear to distinguish flac on Neutron from the same track, say, on AndLess. It seems elusively different, but which one is better, I can’t say. A bunch of settings are present, however, except in the equalizer, it is difficult to notice the difference.
O2X + Woodo + CX870

frag,
Hmm ... I installed version 1.51 neon and it flies with me :) then I’ll definitely buy it (I still can’t because there is no visa)
In general, I will write my impressions about the player :)
I put it yesterday afternoon and ... in general, about 5 hours, I was listening to music all the time ... all the songs (even in mp3, but below 320 I don’t listen) started playing in a new way! I used to miss a lot of details and now ... now there’s just no words , lossless songs generally opened up in a new light for me ... the difference in sound compared to other players is amazing! Naturally I tried all sorts of winamps and paramamps and more, but in the end my friends returned to the stock player :) and then I just got off it I don’t want to! the sound is just super! thanks to dithering and 32-bit upsemplink and other professions The sound functions closer to the analog functions, I listen without equalizer settings and without any surround effects :) no crackle, no cutting top! no laughter of instruments even on the heaviest songs! I’m still shocked by the fact that the communicator is coupled with this player and good ears (AKG K430) is capable of this!
Of course, the interface is not very beautiful and convenient, but I really liked the visualization and performance in a professional style, but the sound quality! Not a single player has that! Of course, for the most part it also depends on the hardware - if you have a communicator with powerful hardware ( preferably 2 core) and a good DAC, then you will get something that not every player can do ... in general I have no words :) Some emotions, the music just opened in a new light with this player, naturally there are people who supposedly don’t feel the difference and they he did not like only from s and the appearance and the fact that there is supposedly no difference in sound - so these people are almost all owners of budgets with poor audio quality and weak hardware + in addition, ultra-budget headphones are used.
Of the minuses for myself, I personally revealed that - it is quite voracious and eats about 5-9% of the charge in an hour, the interface needs to be improved but!This is Test Release Friends!And therefore, all the shortcomings completely overlap with high-quality sound that is at least somewhat closer to analog, and this is the only player that can pull 24bit / 192KHz rip from vinyl

P.S - Then I'll buy better monitors :-D

Post has been editedNITROUSPEED - 27.03.12, 13:48

Rep: (118)
Happy for you. : yes2:
NITROUSPEED @ 03/27/2012, 16:45*
Hmm ... I installed version 1.51 neon and I have it flying

There is an opinion that the author simply finished it more diligently ... And yet I wonder what it was like to put in the player so that there were 2 cores in GHz, and even with neon? : drag:
the sound is just super! thanks to dithering and 32-bit upsamplink and other professional functions, the sound is close to analog

Dachshund, I'll try this player again. I haven’t heard the difference before. I wonder what’s wrong - PDA, headphones, or personally a bear in my ear? ...
no cod, no cutting top!

Have you been?
This is Test Release Friends!

There, it seems, the topic slipped that the author scored on him. :(

Rep: (20)
Frag @ 03/27/2012, 5:59 PM*
There is an opinion that the author simply finished it more diligently ... And yet I wonder what it was like to put in the player so that there were 2 cores in GHz, and even with neon?

Apparently the features of the codecs, it’s certainly hard for me to evaluate the power of decoding sound in 24 bits (or how much was there) on a 16 bit amp, but there is clearly a sense from this thing
Dachshund, I'll try this player again. I haven’t heard the difference before. I wonder what’s wrong - PDA, headphones, or personally a bear in my ear? ...

very much depends on the genre, as well as compatible headphones with the phone, often because of incompatibility you can not even hear any differences.
There is no super-power effect as nitrospid painted, but when compared with the turn-around, the neutron has clearly better scene processing and a lower level of grit
There, it seems, it slipped into the subject that the author scored on him.

Well so right, a poor level of usability, a heavy menu of "novorotov" to master and strong requirements. if something else can be done with the menu, then you can still sweat and sweat over the decoder, although it has a good sound. there is some other player with good sound, I forgot the name, while I could not evaluate

NITROUSPEED @ 03/27/2012, 2:45 PM*
P.S - Then I'll buy better monitors

it’s better to spend on a normal player, because no soft player on a smartphone will pull “quality” monitors. and the sound is much better there

Post has been editedvladislav1992 - 27.03.12, 19:17

Rep: (31)
I tried Neutron player on SGS2 and on HIS. I did not feel much difference with others.

frag,
There were writings and mixing instruments for some of the songs of children of bodom and two steps from hell, but here the beauty is just the same, there is no mixing, and for me it’s so - the difference in sound is strong :)

the author did not score on the player, just the other day released version 1.52 :)vladislav1992
I’ll have to lay out at least 6-8 pieces to really feel that the player has better sound, but I don’t want to carry the second device with me and I will buy monitors with not very high impedance and good sensitivity, just these little ones because :)

PS - the neutron has the best sound decoder in my opinion, it even pulls 24/192 rips from vinyl, and if you listen to the same song in mp3 and then in 16/44 and then in 24/192, then the difference is heard, you feel true minor crackles, please write the name of the player :)

NITROUSPEED @ 03/27/2012, 10:59 PM*
will have a minimum of 6-8 pieces

good monitors are a little cheaper

vladislav1992
Well, yes, I’m not going to take too cool, I will use them for PC :)

P.S - the author did not score on the player and will further develop and promote it

Henbbp @ 03/27/2012, 8:16 PM*
I tried Neutron player on SGS2 and on HIS. I did not feel much difference with others.

no, the difference is decent

vladislav1992
Now, even if it’s convenient for convenience, the menu doesn’t look so beautiful, but it’s just a super player in sound, even if it’s 4-band, but it’s parametric and it’s more sense than parametric :) + various audiophile settings

no, the difference is decent

well, I will say this - even with his help I did not achieve the desired sound.

henrybp
I got it and more than satisfied :) I really had to rummage around, figured out about an hour

NITROUSPEED @ 03/28/2012, 19:20*
I have achieved and am more than satisfied

it's good. But it does not fix the flaws of the hardware, or of programming the chips at a low level, like the SGS2. And the HIS sound suits me anyway. So mess up - don't mess up, but he will correct the hunchbacked grave ...

Henbbp @ 03/28/2012, 8:07 PM*
it's good. But it does not fix the flaws of the hardware, or of programming the chips at a low level, like the SGS2. And the HIS sound suits me anyway. So mess up - don't mess up, but he will correct the hunchbacked grave ...

my firmware is generally not off, I’ve been making fun with wood there, the headphones are also not quite ordinary, but in general, yes, the player is still being steered. or I do not understand what kind of "HIS"?

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 08/27/19, 07:31