Sound quality in modern communicators / phones | In this topic, we will discuss the sound quality.

Rep: (444)
Sound quality

Attached Image

About the topic
A lot of time has passed since the phones began to supplant the players, a couple of years ago smartphones were able to compete with entry-level players (Cowon, Sony, Iriver) the sound quality and output power left much to be desired for a long time, but now manufacturers finally felt the same vein in the world of audio, on which they are now making their way. Betting and emphasis on sound have become an integral part of every flagship device, full-fledged adult DACs, a powerful amplifier circuit, capacitors, high-fidelity are placed in musical smartphones clock generators, full isolation from interference and interference, and much more, modern flagship-class music smartphones have surely left players such as Cowon, Sony, iRiver behind and can compete with the initial Hi-Fi Fiio X3 / ibasso DX50 players on equal footing then surpass these devices.
In order for newcomers to know the decoding of abbreviations, I will explain the following:SOSH - Signal to Noise Ratio(the higher this parameter is, the better and better the DAC converts the sound, for example, the Wolfson WM8994 to SGS1 has 100DB of secondary and the WCD9310 to HTC One and 110DB of secondary)
Output power - Amplifier's ability to pull more demanding and full-sized headphones, the more powerful the amplifier, the more power reserve and better sound you will end up with + compatibility with a large number of headphones.

Archive of outdated models
So let's find out which headphones play better with which headphones.
I believe that the good sound quality of the following models:
Samsung- Galaxy S / Wave / Galaxy SIII / Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy R / Galaxy S4 / Galaxy Note 3
Of the Galaxy lineup, the Galaxy S1 i9000 is the most outstanding, and on board, by today's standards, is not the most advanced and very old Wolfson WM8994 DAC (4 Channel DAC, 100dB SOS), but still capable of producing good sound, tuned using Voodoo Sound.
HTC- One S / Sensation / Rezound / Radar / Mozart / Butterfly / One / Butterfly S
Of HTC, I would call the most outstanding HTC One S / Butterfly S / HTC One - all three have on board an excellent WCD9310 DAC (8 Channel DAC, 110Db SOS) + a couple of amplifiers from Texas Instruments (TPA6130A / OPA2064) and Maxx ( 9877), tuned using Project Era, or custom kernels, I want to mention HTC Butterfly S separately - for a smartphone it has simply phenomenal output power (and excellent sound) which, coupled with project era tuning, is capable of ensuring the normal operation of full-size headphones of almost any resistance.
LG- LG Optimus 2X / LG Optimus 3D, LG Optimus G / LG Nexus 4
The LG Optimus 2X also has a wolfson WM8994 onboard and is supported by the voodoo sound project.
Motorola- Droid Razr / Atrix 4G / Atrix 2 / Droid 3 / Moto X / Moto G
Sony- Xperia X / Xperia Play / Neo / Arc S / Live With Walkman / Xperia Neo / Xperia V / Xperia Z
Apple- Iphone 4 / 4S, Iphone 5 / 5S
By itself, the iphone is a pioneer in the mobile audio segment, along with nokia n91 at one time there were 2 best phones that are not inferior in sound to good players, use Cirrus Logic DACs that are not tuned.
BBK- Vivo X1, I want to give it special attention because this is the first smartphone in the world using a stationary DAC Cirrus Logic CS4398 + SRC The Klok CS8422 which, for example, stands in the top hifi player of Colorful Cololrfly C4 Pro at the price of $ 1000, the older brother BBK Vivo Xplay also came out with additional amplifier BurrBrown OPA2604.
BBK Vivo Xshot is also equipped with a CS4398 DAC and Maxim Maxx97220 amplifier (125mW output power) + a dedicated TI TLW320 ADC (it is needed for better sound recording during video recording, for better sound recording of a voice recorder)
Meizu- MX2, MX4 Core / Meizu MX3 - separately about it, this is probably the best budget option if you need a powerful combine with excellent technical characteristics and stunning sound, besides headphone output power is definitely one of the flagships in the world of smartphone sound, capable without problems Bleed full-size headphones, equipped with a Wolfson WM5102 DAC (108dB SSH).
Oppo- Clover R815 - Also a great option, with more modest characteristics than the MX3, but equipped with a good BurrBrown PCM5101A DAC (106dB Secondary School) and a dedicated SMT Electronics amplifier. - A full replacement for Cowon players and even more so for ipod for such a price.
TCL Idol X +- Smartphone with saber ES9018 DAC (130db SOSH) and Maxim 9720 amplifier (50mW direction Amp)

P.S - I use Fisher audio consonance and Audio technica ATH M50 headphones, and which ones? : rolleyes: It is advisable to write about the model of headphones used, and personal impressions of the sound quality, I think that among ordinary models there are decent ones in sound, I beg you to unsubscribe about impressions :) I also ask you to write which software to use for listening - different players are similar to PowerAMP / Winamp and which format you prefer, individual accessories are also welcome, for example, I sometimes use the Fiio E7 portable amplifier (Formerly E6), some people use LOD cables and other peripherals connected to Line Out.
Among the models of digital-analog converters in smartphones, there are such models as - Wolfson WM8994 (100dB SS), WM8994E (100dB SS), WM1811 (100dB SS), WM8903 (96dB SS), WM8958 (100dB SS), WM8960 (98dB SS), Wolfson WM5102 (108 dB for 44.1khz / 113dB for 48khz SOSH).
Texas Instruments AIC3254 (100dB Secondary School), AIC3008, TLW6040 (100dB Secondary School).
CS4322 (Mostly for Iphone, ipod.100-105dB SOSH)
CS4398 (120dB) + CS8442 SRC upsampler (Exotic in BBK Vivo X1)
Qualcomm WCD9310 (110dB for 44.1khz / 115dB for 48khz SOSH) + WCD9304 SRC Upsampler / Qualcomm WCD9320 (SOSH is higher than in WCD9310 but the numbers are not known.)

From tanks and amplifiers to smartphones, amplifiers from texas instruments of the TPA, TDA, analog devices, MAXX 9877 series (and others from this series) are most often placed because of their low power consumption and high power and signal-to-noise ratio.

Rules of communication
Rules section "Technotrepalka":
1.3 Tech Trap is not a place forflooding. We have, after all, a technical bias. For this there is a section "BreakerпїЅ.
1.4 Since the message counter in our section is enabled, philosophizing can be interpreted as cheating posts. And punished accordingly.
1.5 Frankly typing messages, in order to collect a certain number of posts, will entail punishment!
Section moderators

Why was my message deleted?
Friends, we all want our topic to be as informative as possible, and, at the same time, concise - there were no messages in it that had no practical value for the rest of the forum participants or newcomers.
Therefore:
1. Messages are not on the topic of discussion (technical characteristics and features of the operation of devices) - will be deleted.
2. Messages that do not carry any meaning, and consist of monosyllabic statements: “Good!”, “I'll try!”, “When?”, “Where?” - will be deleted.
3. Messages with words of gratitude will be deleted.

In order to express your gratitude, follow the Forum Rules:
5. Promotion System .
5.1. If a forum member gave you good advice that helped you solve your problem, do not post a message with the text “Thank you! You are super!!!". On our forum, it is customary to express gratitude by raising the reputation of a particular participant.
5.2. The reputation of other participants can be influenced by any user who has collected 15 useful posts. If you do not have 15 helpful posts, ask the moderator to raise the reputation of the person who helped you through the "Complaint" button.

The forum is a public place. Before addressing a particular person in a general topic, and not through a personal messaging system or QMS, think - will your message be interesting for other forum participants or will it just take up space?

Output power table
The output power parameter table (in volts, more is better, more powerful and more headroom, as well as the ability to pull more tight high-impedance headphones.
Attached Image

Additional Information
Table of smartphones with dedicated audio (Head Fi)
Attached Image

Reviews forums about headphones
Post with reviews of members of the forum about smartphones and players

About DAC player

Post has been editedKenny - 28.06.19, 23:39
Reason for editing: Review

Rep: (31)
vladislav1992
HTC Incredible S.

henrybp
So Wolfson WM is also programmed at a low level, but the drivers are open-source and they simply did the sourcing to the sgs2 ... So far, good players (and not parquet like an iPod or a carpet with toys) show better sound but they cost not so little , and so with a dozen devices by the sound not inferior to the average player (up to 4-6 thousand) typed, this is not for long, the sound is constantly being improved and in the next 10 years the sound quality on communicators will reach an amazing level, how can nanotechnologies develop :)

Maybe for someone it will be a discovery but smartphones have Analog Digital Converters (ADCs)

Post has been editedNITROUSPEED - 31.03.12, 16:52

Rep: (1)
As for the headphones: I always used noise canceling and only from Sony Ericsson headsets, I liked compactness and sound (deep and soft bass, which is rare for such a size, Sonya they are Sonya B)), and the price was 400-700 rubles, recently I don’t see They are on sale, I tried a bunch of cheap ones (bullshit it is bullshit B)), the original ones from Nokia are also not very good, Samsung (1500r) with their sizes (times 5 more than Sonkovsky ones) do not give such bass and the range is clearly less than certified. Recently I chose the next ears, took Philips for 700r, it’s not a bad sound, they were nearby for 1500 but to buy a pig in a poke: beee:.
As for the devices: as far as I remember, Sonya has always been the coolest of all, and the sound and the camera in general are everything, but under shoofle it’s not bad for its size. Now I’ve moved away from this, I don’t particularly go deep.
P.s. do not listen at high volume, ears are killed in a few years (personal experience), noise canceling is especially harmful: beee:

NESUB,
Sony Erickson has a good sound with smartphones, and usual ones always lost express to music from Nokia :)

Rep: (5)
All my conscious life I listened to music on the phone, on all my signature devices, starting with Motorola MPx200 and ending with LG GW825 (although decent sound was only on Dell and HP PDAs), because of mobility to the detriment of quality. But literally about 2 years ago it was so disgusting to me that I decided to buy a separate player) The start was made with a bunch of Sandisk Sansa e260 + AKG K324P (I use only plugs because of their ease of wearing on the street), by the way there was a good bunch: the player was not bad in sound (but naturally worse than fuze and clip), convenient navigation wheel, small size and long working time. Later I wanted to go to a new level and I bought the iPod Video 5gen 60Gb + recently the Meelectronics SP51 headphones came with Ebay, I listen and I can’t get enough) This is the evolution)

So even the ancient Cowon X5 is better in sound than both HTC Mozart and iPhone 4. But I do not want to carry this piece of iron with the HDD. This is another compromise.

henrybp
I didn’t listen ... so I can’t say anything :)GABI0,
iPod video 5 has very powerful wolfson, iPhones and other iPods with a DAC have a cirrus logic sound worse :)

Post has been editedNITROUSPEED - 05.04.12, 20:24

Rep: (7)
At first I listened to music on the SE k750, then I gave the phone to my father, I took the w800 myself, now it’s clear that it was the same phone, only the firmware differed, but then on the w800 the complete headphones were much cooler: lol: Then there was Sonyerik with a swivel screen, I really liked him because of the sound of the lid, when you open it - the sound of a samurai sword sounded from the scabbard. Then there was 6260, then N70, then N73, etc., finally, the list smoothly reached SGS Fascinate. The first time, of course, the sound impressed me on the N70, then when it just came out - I really liked the sound, and for some reason it was on the standard player, the third-party ones gave distortion, then changing the equalizer immediately worsened the sound quality, although then I still really I didn’t bother with direct fine tuning. Then I liked the good sound on the N73, Then on SGS Fascinate there was a good sound. But lately I've been trying to adhere to a simple truth: If you want to take good pictures, buy yourself an inexpensive DSLR, not a single phone will ever beat them in quality; camera on the phone - click something quickly and at that very moment. If you want to watch movies - take a tablet, or a portable video player, watch them on a larger screen much more interesting and more pleasant, if you want to play - take a prefix, and to listen to music I took a Walkman NWZ-S764 and am just as happy as an elephant. The complete headphones are beyond praise, very clear sounding, for lovers of bass - there is a megabass function, and its level can be adjusted strictly for you, I tried to put the bass to the maximum - not the slightest wheezing, but my head hurts from low frequencies. The equalizer can be set individually, + a nice bonus in the form of a 240x320 screen, viewing photos, videos, and bluetooth (it’s very convenient to drop songs from friends directly to the player, not to the phone, from the phone to the computer, and then to mp3) and a lot more different goodies. Oh yes, and also - 3-4 days of CONTINUOUS playback of music on a single charge. In general, of course, phones have grown a lot in sound quality, but nevertheless, each device copes best with exactly those functions that are laid down in it by the main ones. Yes, and there is more charge on the phone, on the same Internet, instant messengers and calls))

yar3213,
I agree that nevertheless specialized devices are better at a certain task :) but nevertheless the majority of inexpensive and good players smartphones surpassed in sound

Rep: (20)
how about a bunch of sekhov xd 215 and mobile amplifiers? worth or not?

Rep: (551)
NITROUSPEED,
Frequency response is garbage, my device has a problem with the dynamic range, and a little slow attack, I need quick ears.

The sound card in my computer has much worse frequency response, but the sound is much better =)

Post has been editednonamex - 07.04.12, 21:29

vladislav1992
It’s quite worth it, even without a smart amp it will shake them :) and it will be even better with it, I tried Sennheiser 280 pro and fiio e6 and the sound quality struck me a little, even by the way they can be found for 3-4 thousand;)nonamex That is garbage? :) but I have just the opposite, in a computer for 2 thousand stock realtek it costs so it has terrible sound and smart has a better sound, it feels especially strongly when connecting speakers

Post has been editedNITROUSPEED - 07.04.12, 21:30

NITROUSPEED @ 04/07/2012, 10:29 PM*
It’s quite worth it, even without a smart amp it will shake them and it will be even better with it, I tried Sennheiser 280 pro and fiio e6 and the sound quality struck me even a little, by the way they can be found for 3-4 thousand

I’m not interested in 280, I liked 215 in a flat sound, but I don’t know how smart behaves with monitors, I’m not worried about the player, but smart

vladislav1992
With an amp it will definitely swing, with it it will even be much better than without it :)

Rep: (164)
Sennheiser CX-400 II. SGS2. Neutron Music Player. Passable, but sometimes breaks down in porridge. It's terribly insulting that the sound was so distorted!

Rep: (126)
On the topic, I'm honestly not a music lover and my rumor is not very musical, but theoretically knowing the topic I can’t understand how you feel the difference? If all the devices under discussion have the same characteristics in hertz, everything goes in number, how can it differ, except for the equalizer settings. I understand if you were arguing about analog systems, but here ...?

Post has been editedandreir - 08.04.12, 01:36

ART-555 @ 04/08/2012, 01:19*
Sennheiser CX-400 II. SGS2. Neutron Music Player. Passable, but sometimes breaks down in porridge. It's terribly insulting that the sound was so distorted!

in 16 ohm headphones, his sound is normal

Andreir @ ​​04/08/2012, 02:36*
On the topic, I'm honestly not a music lover and my rumor is not very musical, but theoretically knowing the topic I can’t understand how you feel the difference? If all the devices under discussion have the same characteristics in hertz, everything goes in number, how can it differ, except for the equalizer settings. I understand if you were arguing about analog systems, but here ...?

digital processing, output to analogue, in this amplification the whole problem with sound differences

Post has been editedvladislav1992 - 08.04.12, 09:02

Andreir @ ​​04/08/2012, 02:36*
If all the devices under discussion have the same characteristics in hertz, everything goes in number, how can it differ, except for the equalizer settings. I understand if you were arguing about analog systems, but here ...?

amplifiers, power. Peak power, the ability to work on complex loads, damping - this is very little of what determines the sound quality in addition to the frequency response and noise level.

ART-555,
Senhi should be taken starting from the five hundredths or with ie4, everything that gives a lesser laugh of instruments, I had the CX 300 II, terribly mixed instruments on complex scenes, akshks can do this much better and even on songs like Children Of Bodom - Trashed, Lost & Strungout / in your Face / Diablo - The Preacher can easily withstand a sound attack and do not mix everything in a heap :) in general for something complicated you need to take monitors or overheads, just plugs or fittings will be more expensive with the same sound

Post has been editedNITROUSPEED - 08.04.12, 11:39

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 08/30/19, 06:32