RAMdisk, a virtual partition in the computer’s RAM | Programs, settings, discussion, pros and cons.
We collect statistics
Did you know about the possibility of creating a RAM disk earlier?
Yes [ 1029 ] ** [73,66%]
Not [ 236 ] ** [16,89%]
The term is heard, but did not understand the principle of technology. [ 131 ] ** [9,38%]
How much RAM is allocated for your RAM disk?
I do not use a RAM disk [ 448 ] ** [32,07%]
up to 1GB [ 277 ] ** [19,83%]
up to 4GB [ 401 ] ** [28,7%]
more than 4GB [ 163 ] ** [11,67%]
more than 10GB [ 106 ] ** [7,59%]
Total votes: 1397

Rep: (2709)
Attached Image

Ramdisk is a technology for using RAM as a disk for temporary data storage.

The driver of the program emulates in the system a virtual disk (partition) physically stored in RAM.
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM_drive

Among the many similar products I want to highlightQsoft RAMDisk "Enterprise". The Russian version is free, the program has sufficient functionality and stability.Last available. Tested on Windows 7, 8, 10
AMD Radeon RAMDisk | Primo ramdisk | Imdisk

I suggest here to share experiences on the use of RAM disks, the intricacies of tuning, examples of use, etc.

Post has been editedvelikashkin - 29.03.18, 12:00
Reason for editing: ImDisk

Rep: (5)
* Tolik Solovyov , of course, / leave

Rep: (0)
Hello. I made a ramdisk using the AMD RAMDisc utility.
I transfer the Google Chrome cache to this drive through the shortcut. But when you turn on chrome, he says that he can not write the cache to this disk.

Rep: (50)
Strange ... But to check the correct path in the shortcut? I have so:
"D: \ Chrome-72 Portable \ GoogleChromePortable.exe" --disk-cache-dir = "Z: \ Data \ profile"

where Z: \ is ramdisk.

But it’s easier to drop the entire Chrome folder into the ramdisk, right at system startup, automatically from the .vdi image.
I tried it this way too.

Post has been editedTolik Solovyov - 03.02.19, 13:43
Reason for editing: adding.

Rep: (128)
Tolik Solovyov @ 02/03/19, 15:40*
But it’s easier to throw the entire Chrome folder into the ramdisk, right at system startup, automatically from the image

Quite right, I throw a portable browser and fubar on the primordisk and redirect the temp folders to it. There is enough 700Mb. I just download the image, when I turn it off, I don’t save it because the browser bookmarks are synchronized. If I change the browser or fubar in the settings, then in a few seconds you can manually overwrite the image in the folder where it lies.
The image is easily dragged on a flash drive to any other computer, where a ramdisk is also installed and everything works like on the previous computer.

Rep: (1)
Dear colleagues, which Ramdisk is the best now?

Enterprise?
At one time, I found comparative tests.
https: //www.ghacks.net...-programs-for-windows/
Softperfect RAM Disk won
https: //www.raymond.cc...-read-and-write-speed/
Bond Disc is the fastest, but the 640MB size limit is not ours.
Recommended are IMDisk, ROG RAMDisk, Ultra RAMDisk Lite, SoftPerfect RAM Disk, OSFMount and Gizmo Drive.
https: //www.geckoandfl...k-virtual-disk-memory/
https: // listoffreeware ... disk-software-windows /
https: //en.wikipedia.o..._of_RAM_drive_software

And he tested it two years ago, personally compared. I took screenshots from Kristallmark.
But this is on my current system, 4 GB of DDR2 memory, and I plan to switch to a new one, to 16 GB of RAM.

Rep: (17)
First of all, not by speed they need to be compared, but by the availability of the ability to dynamically fill the RAM, i.e. so that 5 GB of RAM is not constantly fried, but only when it writes 5 GB to RamDisk, and then if it is deleted, so that the RAM is freed.
Secondly, it is interesting how it is with the preservation of the contents. Is there an intelligent RamDisk saving algorithm with a minimum number of entries.

Rep: (12)
First of all, not by speed they need to be compared, but by the availability of the ability to dynamically fill the RAM, i.e. so that 5 GB of RAM is not constantly fried, but only when it writes 5 GB to RamDisk, and then if it is deleted, so that the RAM is freed.

So which ramdisks work?

Primo can do that.

Eriomail @ 04/29/19, 01:32*
So which ramdisks work?

Primo - for sure. There is also an “intelligent save”, with a minimum number of records, which is ideal when storing a RamDisk image on an SSD (and is not recommended when storing on a HDD, since in this case it significantly increases the recording time).
ImDisk is also able to dynamically fill in RAM, while ImDisk is free. I still have no hands to compare it with Primo ...

* Tolik Solovyov,
* Zelenyikot,
Thank you, but have you tried using PrimoCache, how is this program worth the attention in your opinion? A sort of software Optane, only for all drives.

* eriomail,
I read a lot of articles about similar caching technologies when they just started appearing, studied various tests and eventually realized that the benefit from this thing is mostly symbolic.
Of course, in this case it’s probably worth asking those who use PrimoCache, but I very much doubt that they will report that this stray gave them a noticeable performance boost.

Zelenyikot @ 05/03/19, 09:58*
It’s worth asking those who use PrimoCache, but I very much doubt that they will report that this stray gave them a noticeable performance boost.

I have experience in using a little more than a month.
Unpredictable program, like Windows itself. Where the growth is actually visible, and where not. The whole feature of these prog: PrimoCache, Condusiv V-Locity and others (probably) is that they use the available physical memory to the maximum extent, while Windows itself uses 32 GB of installed on the laptop maximum up to 8 GB (on my experience).
I don’t really see the feature of using the "invisible memory" of the video card declared in PrimoCache.

As for Primo Ramdisk, I don’t see much benefit from it yet. (Tested on fox, FileLocator Pro and WhereIsIt).
Moreover, the base of the FileLocator Pro index on the ramdisk is not saved.
Probably in all cases there should be some software compatibility.

Post has been editedhytelnet - 03.05.19, 12:18

Rep: (1274)
Hytelnet @ 05/03/19, 12:14*
32 GB installed on a laptop ... I don’t see much benefit from it yet
and variable media in ramdisk? and also try to search for portable versions of your programs and put and run them from there in ramdisk.

Znznznz @ 05/03/19, 13:16*
try to search for portable versions of your programs and put and run them from there in ramdisk.

So, those that I tested are portable.

Rep: (128)
Hytelnet @ 05/03/19, 14:14*
As for Primo Ramdisk, I don’t see much benefit from it yet.

With disk frames, the speed increase is not great, but there is ... well, if the system is on a regular HDD screw, then God himself ordered. Plus, if the system SSD is not large, then no one canceled the wear of the cells ... it depends on how much unbroken space there is left when closing partitions. But even though I run a portable Fox in the operative, anyway, out of habit, in my about: config, all caching to disk is prohibited.
So the browser lying in the folder with portable applications on the SSD is set up and the disk is dragged from there already configured.
Plus, I and in the system are prohibited from writing to some folders, I think when working, too, the processor time is somehow taken away to push the garbage there ...
C: \ Users \ master \ AppData \ Local \ Temporary Internet Files \ Content.IE5
C: \ Users \ master \ AppData \ Local \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Caches
C: \ Users \ master \ AppData \ LocalLow \ Microsoft \ CryptnetUrlCache \ Content
C: \ Users \ master \ AppData \ LocalLow \ Microsoft \ CryptnetUrlCache \ MetaData
Well, plus more on the little things. Just "become the master" from the context menu of the folder, clean it and deny access to everyone who had it.
I am looking for garbage folders using CCleaner, starting cleaning in it. I do not touch only the logs in the root Windows that are written at boot.

I don’t really see the feature of using the "invisible memory" of the video card declared in PrimoCache.

Where did you read this ??

I don’t see the feature of using the "invisible memory" of the video card declared in PrimoCache.

In the description from the official site there is no such statement.
Here's what there is about memory types:

Capable of interoperating with almost all faster storage devices, including system memory, invisible memory, solid-state drives and flash drives, to accelerate relatively slow storage.

In addition, as far as I am aware of the functioning of iron, only its video driver, which works with applications at the API level, has direct access to the memory of the video card. At the same time, there is no question of any direct access (which is necessary to implement the caching functions).

In this case, “invisible” memory refers to the amount of memory whose direct addressing is impossible due to software (for the OS) or hardware (for the chipset) limitations.

Rep: (0)
vram drivehttps://youtu.be/g8bIjFPi2Mg

Rep: (3)
* ScAnMaG ,
And can you upload a tri-address here to log in there was not necessary?
You can also add the guide to the manual on Group Policy and post it here too

Rep: (378)
* VeDroid4,
So inthe message, under the spoiler everything is there.
And a link to the trial address and the most detailed instructions.
All links are still alive. Specially checked ...
Just in case, I updated that post, added kits 5.7.0 and 6.3.1
Everything, as before, lies under the spoiler!
Good luck

Post has been editedScAnMaG - 05.06.19, 01:04
Reason for editing: Fix, Update

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 09/15/19, 07:54