FLAC VS MP3

Rep: (1805)
Attached Image
Perception test

Post has been editedShoore - 07.01.16, 23:39

Rep: (16)
Why is FLAC better than MP3?
I heard that he does not remove any sounds, unlike MP3. is it true?
Z.Y. Please skip whoever has a couple of songs in this format, I want to feel the difference now, I didn’t find it without registration (and Rutrekker is closed for registration so far) :)

Rep: (1043)
FLAC = lossless compression, MP3 = lossy compression.

Rep: (191)
Just read about the mp3 format. There is based on an algorithm that uses the features of human perception of sound for compression.
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mp3

A Flac without compression. In a format similar to flac, songs are recorded on an audio CD (somewhere around 20 songs fit on a disc, but here you need a high-quality disc - not former mp3 tracks)

The difference is like between jpg and bmp picture. On jpg you can see artifacts in some places, especially with strong compression.

Post has been editedLicvidatormax - 31.07.11, 20:04

Rep: (889)
LikvidatorMax,
After such posts, license No. 376998 must be selected ... The allegory is true by the way :)
On the disk, bare PCM ...
On the topic mgeee everything is compressed and accessible explained ...

unpredictable
What will you listen to the difference? not any headphones / speakers will show you the difference ...
http://rutor.org/search/0/2/0/0/FLAC

Post has been editedStasman - 31.07.11, 21:35

Rep: (444)
Mp3 is actually a golem format, "Dead Sound"

NITROUSPEED @ 07/31/2011, 10:45 PM*
Dead sound
and a flask with substances, right? So all vibrant and colorful?

Rep: (854)
mgeee
In fact - there is a difference, but you need to listen on the corresponding equipment.
For example, at home I listen to music on AKG Q460 the same song in the bottle is heard quite differently than mp3. It is difficult to explain in words - you need to hear it yourself (Of course, those who bear a bear stepped on their heads and pretty much like it will not see the difference)
And on the street I go with the AKG Q350, so there’s the difference, sooooo small, it's almost not noticeable

mgeee
and a flask with substances, right? So all vibrant and colorful?
Oh yes! Funny)) you know who music lovers are, for them such a sound is dead, they listen to music exclusively on records.

Rep: (889)
NITROUSPEED,
Then FLAC is also not good, it passed through the ADC and is also dead, there is no lamp heat: happy:

Stasman,
Yes, yes, exactly, I completely forgot about the lamps;)

Rep: (55)
There is one album in Flac format, about 15 songs, it weighs 900mb, converted to mp3, began to weigh 150. I listened to the same songs in different formats, Flac sounds brighter, the sound is deep, finished, in complete harmony.

Flash9001,
What album? =) Which artist?

Flash9001 @ 08/01/2011, 12:26*
weighs 900mb, converted to mp3, began to weigh 150
The bitrate usually has a bit less megabyte, compression is 6 times =>the mp3 bitrate is 128 ~ 150 kbps. With this bitrate, the difference on decent equipment will be heard. But aac with a bit rate of 192 kbps should be enough. And if you take 320, then that's enough.
Also usually the "tangible difference" brings the placebo effect.

mgeee
The bitrate usually has a bit less megabyte, compression is 6 times =>the mp3 bitrate is 128 ~ 150 kbps. With this bitrate, the difference on decent equipment will be heard. But aac with a bit rate of 192 kbps should be enough. And if you take 320, then that's enough.
Also usually the "tangible difference" brings the placebo effect.
You understand this, I'm sure! : rolleyes: is there any way to improve the quality of an mp3 file? ;)

Rep: (730)
mgeee
nevertheless, it is very easy to distinguish a FLAC MP3 from a not too distant ear.

NITROUSPEED @ 08/01/2011, 20:52*
can you somehow improve the quality of an mp3 file?
obviously not. Just like with a video, just like with any other thing - the maximum that can be done is to try to fight artifacts.

zusicks438,
1) take the track in the bottle.
2) convert it to mp3 with a bitrate of 320 kbps.
3) find some person.
4) let him listen. And say that mp3 is a flac, and vice versa.
5) ask what sounded better.
6) ???
7) and do not carry any nonsense anymore.

Rep: (730)
mgeee
I didn’t bother so, just once the guys in Eldorado tested acoustics, and I passed by. They put 2 songs from a flash drive, the quality was clearly different. My question only confirmed, one was in FLAC, the other in MP3-256. And yes, the tracks in the MP3-320 still need to be searched, and everything below is clearly already different.

Rep: (32)
mgeee
Checked one person, distinguished without problems, and the speakers were quite ordinary

Rep: (305)
Zusicks438 @ 2.8.2011, 0:53*
mgeee
nevertheless, it is very easy to distinguish a FLAC MP3 from a not too distant ear.

I think it depends on the music you listen to. There are records that differ from 256-320 kbps, but there are such that 256 cannot be distinguished from the flask.

zusicks438,
And yes, the tracks in the MP3-320 still need to be searched, and everything below is clearly already different.
There are a lot of music in the compote and almost always 320kbps bitrate, but it all depends on the quality of the song’s recording, if some little-known Russian band, for example, the quality is not very good, and if, for example, Disturbed or Linkin Park, then the sound quality is up to par

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 08/22/19, 20:58