Selection of network equipment | advice and help for choosing

Rep: (2114)

How to ask a question in the topic
When searching for equipment, specify the following information.
A request not in form can be deleted, respect the time of those who answer you.
  1. Connection Type: ADSL / Ethernet / Optics / Modem / By Air.
  2. Connection speed:Approximate speed, link to the tariff plan of the provider.
  3. Connection speed:If you do not know or find it difficult to say, describe your wishes from the device. Let's try to help and so
  4. Connection Type:LAN, PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP, etc. (again, the link to the provider).
  5. Required functionality:IPTV, games, WiFi N, Samba, FTP, VPN client / server, etc.
  6. Price.
  7. Preferences (if any) by brands of equipment.
  8. If possible, indicate the location and purpose of the use of equipment:apartment, office, country house, hostel.

Example
“I’m looking for a home router, Ethernet connection method, modem, 20 Mbps speed, need IPTV, games, L2TP connection type, budget: about $ 50.
I am looking for a switch, a hub controlled, 8 ports, a port speed of 100 Mbit / s, duplex, up to $ 100, the brand is not important. "

useful links

At the forum there are representatives of companies, manufacturers or developers of equipment, they can ask the necessary questions in QMS
In connection with the termination of the contract Wi-Cat<>NAG the original Wive-NG versions for the new SNR-CPE equipment (starting with SNR-CPE-ME2) will not be released .. equipment questions can be askedsfstudio .
Support for individuals on the already released equipment is carried out within the forum.https://wi-cat.ru/forums.
Ilya KhrupalovKeenetic

demo web interface Wive-NG available here

Theme for setting up the network with the equipment you choose hereSetting up networks, Internet access and network equipment

A set of "home gigabit" routers for the initial needs analysis
Overview of the implementation of Keenetic routers from different "families", but under the same manufacturer's OS
A practical way to solve problems with D-Link routers
Articles about using Ruckus equipment

The curator of the topic isMac Guru
For questions about filling caps, please contactQMS

Post has been editedMac Guru - 19.06.19, 09:52
Reason for editing: new cap, edited by MacGuru

Rep: (241)
by the way how to check the wetness of my wifi? The PDA does not catch further 10m.

Posted on 06/25/2011, 10:25:

Need a test on max. pokritii. What does a netbook carry to the street: D

Posted on 06/25/2011, 10:26:

BOJIKOJIAK @ 06/24/2011, 15:21*
D-link DIR-615

He has a higher rating than 320, but the circuit board is similar, he said, even bi is similar.

Rep: (324)

I am confused by 2 antennas. One, as a rule, works on reception, the second on transfer. Is that something? will it be necessary to hang 2 directional antennas on it from the one and the other? :)

Nemezis-87, “Coverage” is a relative concept :) Some devices can see far, some do not. Attach a powerful adapter to the netbook, and walk around - scan the air :) I have an Asusov dF-router router at my house. I already asked about him here in the branch, it was the case - the signal for him, for some reason, is not more powerful than on the access point, which I turn on the nexus. From the balcony on the tablet netbook and communicator, the signal is almost not visible. Sometimes the connection breaks altogether. I live on the 9th floor. For the sake of interest, I went out into the street, took with me my netbook with an alpha suspended on it and my self-made directional antenna. On the verge of a possible, but I still note my access point :) but I can’t establish a connection. And another example is that someone from the neighbors has a router that does not allow me to live in peace. At home, I catch his signal better than from my asus. On the street, this signal is even received by the phone, damn ... The most annoying thing is that this access point is protected by wpa2 encryption, and all the dictionaries that I found on the Internet for key selection did not bring the desired effect, so I have no idea what the device is so worth it. On its channel, by the way, the horse-radish is connected - it creates wild interference ...

Post has been editedBOJIKOJIAK - 27.06.11, 08:05

Rep: (15)
TP-Link TL-WR1043ND
The best thing on the market for the money.

Rep: (1145)
Rom_usr @ 05/10/2011, 02:51*
Unfortunately, all the Dlink that I saw, almost die on a set of Wi-Fi TCP connections.

Reduce the speed from 56 megabits to 11-24 and everything falls into place;)

I would like a router without a big speed cut

Which MTU window is on the network adapter and which is in the settings of the router? Maybe there is just a small window in the router and it splits up requests in parts, sending many packet headers. As a result, the overall network performance drops.

If waffle productivity drops, there also has its own window, which can be increased or decreased.

Rep: (262)
H. forum users, please advise the Asus WL-500W replacement router.
When the torrent jumps on it, it was possible to reach a maximum of 6mb / s, although a direct connection allows you to get a speed of 3 times greater.
In addition, the router costs across the room from the main computer (with the WL-130N card), and if the signal was stable at 70% in the first pairs, then after the neighbors received a large number of routers and access points, the stability of my connection gradually fell.

Therefore, at the moment I need a router that:
1. Provides a download speed of at least 12 mb / s.
2. Providing better coverage than the WL-500W.
3. (?) Has support for 5ghz range. (As I understand it, this will help avoid the influence of neighbor routers on the stability of my connection.)

Of the candidates so far found the following:
Asus RT-N56U - judging by the reviews, by speed it is the best. But the appearance and the impossibility of flashing on a custom alarms me. Although on the router I need a maximum of Transmission and a webmord to it, so I can probably do without custom firmware.

Linksys E4200 - I also like it, but RT-N56U (?) Loses in speed. There is an opportunity to put DD-WRT.
But how is it coated? Can there be who personally used?

NETGEAR WNDR4000 - I did not find out anything useful about it. In terms of speed, it seems to lose both to Asus and Linksys, but the stuffing seems to be good, and I like it more than others. Although reviews on it is not enough.

And at the same time advise DualBand adapter, to replace the WL-130N.
Thank you for your attention, I hope for your help.

Rep: (888)
Kostja_V,
I don’t know how the neighbors are doing there, I have flashed my NetGear 3500L with Tomato’s firmware, it scanned the frequency range, determined which neighbors ’routers are working on and ran away to another channel ...
Plus there is the ability to adjust the transmitter power ...
About better coverage - just buy another antenna.
It’s hard for me to say about speed 6MB / s is the maximum that I had, while the router was not even 40% loaded ...
P.S. Asus yours can also be flashed to her most likely ...
P.P.S. 3 times more oo you have a gigabit internet O_O

Post has been editedStasman - 16.07.11, 22:15

Stasman,
I don’t know how the neighbors are doing there, I have flashed my NetGear 3500L with Tomato’s firmware, it scanned the frequency range, determined which neighbors ’routers are working on and ran away to another channel ...

I manually changed channels, I sit now on 11 since on it the signal is the most stable. In fact, it is possible that the neighbors are not to blame))) I just noticed that the signal deterioration as the neighboring access points grew ... When there were 2-3 of them, everything was fine, now my computer catches 15 pieces, and everything is not so bright. So I suggested that the fault is a single 2.4 GHz range on which they fonya.

Plus there is the ability to adjust the transmitter power ...
About better coverage - just buy another antenna.

There is also such a setting, but there is no sense in changing it without changing antennas, and on the WL-500W the antennas are not removable.

It’s hard for me to say about speed 6MB / s is the maximum that I had, while the router was not even 40% loaded ...

For my, this speed is apparently close to the limit. Because CPU utilization is 90%, and if I download something at such a speed, on other computers even sites are not loaded.

P.S. Asus yours can also be flashed to her most likely ...

It is stitched to the "firmware from enthusiasts" and is constantly updated.

P.P.S. 3 times more oo you have a gigabit internet O_O

No, under the contract it is 200 Mbps optics. If you plug the cord directly into the network card, then the speed from local trackers to 20mb / s happens.

Rep: (888)
Kostja_V,
Not bad, not bad, I'm talking about speed ...
Changing the power makes sense, the closer the client, the less power the transmitter needs, with excessive power the speed drops ...
And your processor is really weak 264 MHz of all: (
By the way, on many alternative firmware, dd-wrt is not an exception, the speed is lower than on the stock ...
I chose Tomato, because it almost falls short of the stock firmware.

Stasman,
And your processor is really weak 264 MHz of all: (

Overclocked to 300, but it does not really matter. The model itself is already outdated, the chipset, everything else ...

By the way, on many alternative firmware, dd-wrt is not an exception, the speed is lower than on the stock ...

In my case, this is not the case (probably), because At one time, I also did not think to install any programs on the router, but I switched to custom firmware only because it added 2Mb to the speed.

Are there any opinions on the above models? Maybe there are candidates for the purchase?
And it falls on the reviews, and on the subjective characteristics of iron rely ....

Rep: (763)
I want to order a phone and a router for it abroad, but I don’t understand them at all, and I don’t know if there will be problems with it at home ....
what I want from him:
it was easy to install (although it is possible to search how to install on the Internet)
so that I set up and work as it should, I mean not to reflash, etc.
Well, so that it does not reboot or there are no other bugs

Rep: (66)
How do you go online? Via adsl modem?

Post has been editedivleyantosha - 19.07.11, 15:32

ivleyantosha,
on PC via cable, I want home wifi point for the phone of the future

What is your provider? And the cable from the spec. Sockets or modem?

ivleyantosha,
I have online
there is no modem, where the cable comes from I don’t know, I know what’s going on the wall, maybe from the shield in the corridor coming

Post has been editedRohff - 19.07.11, 17:17

from the torrent download?

ivleyantosha,
seldom

ASUS WL-520GC will do. You can also go to the office online and ask what they recommend.
And if you download from torrents, then Zyxel Keenetic (Lite)
Asus WL-520GC
Zyxel Keenetic Lite

Post has been editedivleyantosha - 19.07.11, 17:37

ivleyantosha,
from the torrent from the phone? none

in general, the simplest (as I did now) was to go to the onlime website and readhttp://onlime.ru/abonents/help_and_settings/

Posted on 07/19/2011, 17:44:

Rohff
Well, maybe someday the laptop will be: D

ivleyantosha,
sometime not right now
Vidkl that give rent a router, read on the Yandex market about this router, tin, will not go

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 07/04/19, 19:46