Selection of network equipment | advice and help for choosing

Rep: (2115)

How to ask a question in the topic
When searching for equipment, specify the following information.
A request not in form can be deleted, respect the time of those who answer you.
  1. Connection Type: ADSL / Ethernet / Optics / Modem / By Air.
  2. Connection speed:Approximate speed, link to the tariff plan of the provider.
  3. Connection speed:If you do not know or find it difficult to say, describe your wishes from the device. Let's try to help and so
  4. Connection Type:LAN, PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP, etc. (again, the link to the provider).
  5. Required functionality:IPTV, games, WiFi N, Samba, FTP, VPN client / server, etc.
  6. Price.
  7. Preferences (if any) by brands of equipment.
  8. If possible, indicate the location and purpose of the use of equipment:apartment, office, country house, hostel.

Example
“I’m looking for a home router, Ethernet connection method, modem, 20 Mbps speed, need IPTV, games, L2TP connection type, budget: about $ 50.
I am looking for a switch, a hub controlled, 8 ports, a port speed of 100 Mbit / s, duplex, up to $ 100, the brand is not important. "

useful links

At the forum there are representatives of companies, manufacturers or developers of equipment, they can ask the necessary questions in QMS
In connection with the termination of the contract Wi-Cat<>NAG the original Wive-NG versions for the new SNR-CPE equipment (starting with SNR-CPE-ME2) will not be released .. equipment questions can be askedsfstudio .
Support for individuals on the already released equipment is carried out within the forum.https://wi-cat.ru/forums.
By SNR-CPE updated information from Dear sfstudio
Keenetic equipment questions to the respectedIlya Khrupalov
demo web interface Wive-NG available here

Theme for setting up the network with the equipment you choose hereSetting up networks, Internet access and network equipment

A set of "home gigabit" routers for the initial needs analysis
Overview of the implementation of Keenetic routers from different "families", but under the same manufacturer's OS
A practical way to solve problems with D-Link routers
Articles about using Ruckus equipment

The curator of the topic isMac Guru
For questions about filling caps, please contactQMS

Post has been editedMac Guru - 06.08.19, 15:42
Reason for editing: new cap, edited by MacGuru

Rep: (1356)
chepurnova
how fast are you torrenting now? (average and maximum)
about whether or not to put a router - read the contract ... if prohibited - it should clearly be written ... if not - go to the forest ...

Rep: (2)
The maximum on Rutracker (for us this is foreign traffic) was mine up to 10 Mb / s, in Ukraine it used to be 14 Mb, I can’t remember it already.

chepurnova
bit or byte? 10MB = 80MB ... well, I believe ... but 14MB = 112MB ... do you have a gigabit connection with the provider? o.O

PS: if the torrent tracker is called "Russian" - this does not mean that it does not have users from other countries ... there are a lot of people from Ukraine ...

ZYY: I would recommend some router from asus ... from the latest models ...

ZYYY: if you want to connect via wi-fi you only want a tablet and only for "just climb on the Internet" - you can buy a Wi-Fi network card in a stationary computer and share the Internet on it ... your 14mb / s plus Internet on the tablet will remain on the stationary ... but with the stationary computer turned off, Internet on the tablet will not be ...

Post has been editedcooler.nvkz - 06.10.11, 15:31

Rep: (889)
cooler.nvkz @ 10/06/2011, 16:30*
ZYY: I would recommend some router from asus ... from the latest models ...

Or from Netgear at a similar price ...
My Netgear 3500L quietly pumps over LAN 720Mb / s and 64Mb / WAN ...

I looked at the provider's website, there are such numbers: according to charging. segment - 25 Mbit / s, in Ukrainian -100 Mbit / s. And what does this Wi-Fi network card look like?) And if I download from the Android market, will it be downloaded for a long time?

Stasman,
specify the entire bit or byte)))) and then after the previous "14mb / s" my brain is freezing ... and 64mb (i.e. 8mb, and it has everything "14") probably will not be enough ...

chepurnova
and FIG knows how from the Android Market ... most likely "at the maximum available speed" ... for the server ...
they didn’t answer, but what is the average speed of a torrent? and then maybe 5-6 MB and here we hammer a head with pieces of iron ...
wi-fi-network cards look like this -link to Yandex.pictures... but those that look "like a flash drive" (without a normal antenna) will most likely work poorly away from the tablet ... the signal is weak for them ...

Post has been editedcooler.nvkz - 06.10.11, 16:31

Sorry for the fact that I’m eating your brain out here))) ... damn it, I got confused with these bits ... bytes ... at the moment I can’t say there is no access to the home Internet, well, the movie is 1.37 GB is downloaded in 4-5-6 minutes with a speed of max 10 and I don’t know a bit or byte)))

Posted on 10/06/2011, 16:37:

Maybe really a network Wi-Fi will be better ... xs ...

Rep: (889)
cooler.nvkz,
b - bit, B - byte;)

chepurnova
It turns out 4-6MB / s :)

Post has been editedStasman - 06.10.11, 16:43

Rep: (6)
Hello! And who knows what about Wi-Fi / 3G modems / routers ... like this -http://www.intertelecom.ua/en/oborudovanue...vatel_MiFi_2200or suchhttp://www.intertelecom.ua/en/oborudovanue...ovanie/ZTE_AC30The second one is generally "multi-format" there is 3J and on CDMA \ EV-DO and HSDPA \ GSM ... maybe someone worked and works with them? Here, for example, he is interested in the latter, but how does he "communicate" with networks i.e. Is it flashing or can I put RUIM and SIM cards? etc ... and is it possible to connect to a usb-output, for example, not a computer, but a printer and, accordingly, start its work on the network ....

11-1974,
the first is a 3G-WiFi router ... i.e. receives 3G (in this case, CDMA) and sends it to WiFi ... in the settings of the router (usually through the web interface) all connection parameters are indicated and he does everything himself
the second is just a 3G modem ... it sticks into the computer, is like a modem and connects to the network ... the settings are indicated on the computer ... i.e. A "printer" will not go to the network ... through which networks it will work - it depends on which SIM or RUIM you insert ... it does not flash itself ...
with the first one you can try to get the printer to go online and even print to it from an external network ... but why do you need this?

Post has been editedcooler.nvkz - 22.10.11, 21:13
Reason for editing: oops ...

It turns out that ZTE is not a Wi-Fi router? Strange ... at Intertelecom on the site it is assigned to Wi-Fi routers ...
And on other sites they talk about him either as a Wi-Fi router or as a Wi-Fi access point ... or is it different?

Post has been edited11-1974 - 22.10.11, 21:16

for sure ... on other sites it is written about wi-fi ...

PS: anyway, I doubt that these routers are capable of anything more than just distributing the Internet ... in the sense of VPN and other goodies ...

Yes, I'm more about connecting the Internet through it to a tablet on Android 2.2., Well, that would not bother with the activation and connection of a usb modem, which does not always work ...
And who else can tell me where to turn - I guess the ZTE CDMA phone is no longer being detected, I guess because of the usb cable, where can they help?

Post has been edited11-1974 - 22.10.11, 22:08

Rep: (20)
Hello comrades. I’m trying to find a suitable Wi-Fi router for my university. The university has 5 floors, but on each floor there are literally 10-15 rooms, that is, everything is quite compact. I tried to Yandexit, since in this case I am a complete zero, as a result I did not find anything sane. I would like to hear from smart or knowledgeable people where to start? Or maybe even hear about specific models.

Loremar,
you won’t get away with one point ... at most one or two adjacent classrooms to the left to the right (tobish on the floor) and up and down the floor ... plus considering what the walls were made for educational institutions - maybe you can’t even break through one classroom ... ( bearing walls about a meter thick) ...

So. In this case, it is better to put two points. One on the fourth (to capture 3, 4, and 5) and one on the second (for 1, 2, and again 3 floors). Then the question is ... We have a building next door, and so, at any point in our educational institution, we catch a steady signal from their Wi-Fi ... What is there for such a monster, in that case? ..

Loremar,
maybe he’s standing on the windowsill ... looking in your direction ... but in a straight line without obstacles, he breaks relatively much ...

PS: I would start from one point ... maybe one is enough on the third floor ...

Got it, we’ll do it. Then the question is, which model is better to take? In terms of price and quality. Or, at least, by what criterion to conduct the selection?

Rep: (0)
The criterion is the power of a point, but I doubt that 1 is enough, I worked in a beeline, I worked in Wi-Fi, their points hit 500 meters in direct visibility, they cost at least 30k per point, in general they merged strongly on this. On the topic, take 1-2 routers per floor, depending on the overlap. If the walls are drywall, then 1 to the floor is definitely enough.
P.S is either 1 but wildly expensive and powerful.
In my example, did 300nru covers a floor of a building with 25 rooms, with plasterboard walls, below the floor through a concrete metal, the signal practically does not go, it catches something around -80db

Post has been editedurkin90 - 30.10.11, 02:50

Rep: (3)
Maybe I’m not writing here, Sorry in advance.
I want to buy a Wi-Fi adapter in order to distribute the Internet to the phone. Budget: up to 200 UAH. ADSL convergence speed of 10 mb / s. The type of adapter does not matter, USB and PCI will not "shove" into the PC anyway))
I looked closely at the D-Link DWA-125, but they say the transfer speed is up to 300 kb / s.
What is the difference between USB and PCI cards? (well, except that usb can be pulled out without taking apart the computer)))
Advise the normal for the price / quality.
Thank you in advance

Full version    

Help     rules

Now: 08/10/19, 9:26 p.m.